HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXIV: Is there a statute of limitations on Perjury in Arizona?

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Phoenix CXXIV: Is there a statute of limitations on Perjury in Arizona?

... Carry on here gang.

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2189935

Old
03-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... Carry on here gang.
Hmmm...based on the thread title...do we have a case?

Classified as a felony, perjury has a limitation of seven (7) years...

Paging CasualFan...

Old
03-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Chau
HFB Partner

Just caught up on all the articles from yesterday and this feels eerily similar to when the Chargers were making one last push for Measure C before they left.

I'm genuinely curious about how Goligoski feels about this since he was "sold" on a new arena before signing his long term deal.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Some posts to carry forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Bettman has a buyer in hand and he's just waiting to cash the check once the AZ legislature does the expected. That's the exact way it played out last time it came down to the wire with Winnipeg, only it was Atlanta that fell on that sword due to a Glendale council vote.

Playing the "we're gonna move" card is a last ditch attempt to use what pull the team has to get an effort going to keep them. But the Coyotes have zero pull, and IA has basically ruined every local partner they've touched. Even the tribes don't want to work with them it seems like.

So place your bets on Portland, Seattle, or QC. They aren't going to do a lame duck season and risk big losses. They haven't even announced season ticket renewals yet. Glendale will get a small payoff to exit the lease and that will be that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
I don't know if the lack of season ticket renewal notices has anything to do with the team being there or not, as historically we've seen it's meaningless either way.

My thoughts - If the team is in Glendale next season they need to start the process later in order to figure out how to sell this team. There's likely to be mutiny among the ST base. Their head of client retention will be the busiest person this off season.

Outside of the die hards as most will be back. If you're a casual consumer and see this gong show come up again and again along with other places to spend for sports and entertainment. With this and the on ice product, is there anything attractive to buy Coyotes over anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post

Old
03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

along with..........

Quote:
Quote:
Salvo from the Commissioner...

NHL commissioner: Coyotes 'can't and won't' play in Glendale

To quote:

"In a letter Tuesday to the 90 members of the Arizona Legislature, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the Arizona Coyotes “must have a new arena location to succeed” and “will not remain in Glendale.”

Bettman says he wants to make it “abundantly clear” that the team can’t make money at Glendale’s Gila River Arena:

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.”"

Source: http://www.12news.com/sports/nhl/coy...dale/420599553

Link to full letter (PDF): https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...n-Glendale.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Snack anyone?

Old
03-08-2017, 09:15 AM
cbcwpg

It's amazing how we have gone from Anthony LeBlanc saying the team should be profitable within 3 years of IA buying the team... to having Gary Bettman basically saying the team was never going to be profitable in Glendale ever.

I do have a question for Bettman...

After saying this...

"While the Coyotes ownership has consistently promised to explore every possible option to keep the franchise in Arizona, no business can afford to be in financial and marketing limbo," Bettman wrote. "And, please remember it was the City of Glendale -- not the Coyotes -- that terminated the long-term agreement it had with the Coyotes."

Does this mean if the long term lease was still in effect, then the location wouldn't be a problem and the Coyotes wouldn't need a new arena elsewhere??

Because, if the Coyotes do in fact need a new arena elsewhere to survive, even if the lease in Glendale had not been broken, then that would mean the NHL and IA never had any intentions of staying in Glendale long term and the whole lease with it's 5 year out clause was just a sham to buy time to find another home, and every thing the NHL and IA has said over the years has been nothing but a lie. Would this sum things up Gary??

Last edited by cbcwpg: 03-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old
03-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Slot

Quote:
If you like hockey and are a Coyotes fan, you should love Bettman. Any other Commish in their right mind would have moved the teams years ago.
No, Leafs fan, which has been it's own special hell for the last several decades but at least this sword of Damocles of pay us or we leave hasn't been hanging over the fanbase's collective head for the last 15 years.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Slot

Quote:
It's amazing how we have gone from Anthony LeBlanc saying the team should be profitable within 3 years of IA buying the team... to having Gary Bettman basically saying the team was never going to be profitable in Glendale ever.

After saying this...

"While the Coyotes ownership has consistently promised to explore every possible option to keep the franchise in Arizona, no business can afford to be in financial and marketing limbo," Bettman wrote. "And, please remember it was the City of Glendale -- not the Coyotes -- that terminated the long-term agreement it had with the Coyotes."

Does this mean if the long term lease was still in effect, then the location wouldn't be a problem and the Coyotes wouldn't need a new arena elsewhere??
Sure because they were getting $15M annually from the city.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Llama19

Quote:

After saying this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot View Post
Sure because they were getting $15M annually from the city.
Yes, they were...

I'm gonna take two weeks, gonna have a fine relocation
I'm gonna take my problem to the Legislation
Well I called my representative and he said "Whoa!"
"I'd like to help you there but you're too in debt ya know"
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the subsidy blues...

Old
03-08-2017, 09:20 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Jeff Blair show on The fan 590 10:16 AM EST: John Shannon claim he been told the NHL, has not made any payroll payment for the Yotes yet. Operative word is yet. Cash call mentioned.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Jeff Blair show on The fan 590 10:16 AM EST: John Shannon claim he been told the NHL, has not made any payroll payment for the Yotes yet. Operative word is yet. Cash call mentioned.
Is there a link up for the podcast?

The dominoes are in motion...

Old
03-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Quote:
No worries they have 170m set aside for their share of the new arena.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:28 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Is there a link up for the podcast?

The dominoes are in motion...
I post it later since we are still in the same hour, it's not up yet.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Yikes. I feel like after Bettman opened his mouth the "code of silence" was broken, and now things are gonna move forward very quickly.

I feel like the NHL is salting the earth in Glendale. So that whatever happens, next year the Coyotes cannot, and will not be there.

So it's either a temporary stop-gap elsewhere in Arizona while a new arena is being built... or relocation.

But what do I know. Maybe the NHL doesn't care if what they're doing makes it so the Coyotes have only 3000 people in attendance next year in Glendale for Coyotes games.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:

After saying this...

Because, if the Coyotes do in fact need a new arena elsewhere to survive, even if the lease in Glendale had not been broken, then that would mean the NHL and IA never had any intentions of staying in Glendale long term and the whole lease with it's 5 year out clause was just a sham to buy time to find another home, and every thing the NHL and IA has said over the years has been nothing but a lie. Would this sum things up Gary??
That letter along with Barroways... flat out invidious. Whatever answer you come up with an insult pro or con to the passing of a new Bill, and most assuredly to the COG and yes, absolutely gives flight to the theory you suggest.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
cbcwpg

Old
03-08-2017, 09:34 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau View Post
Just caught up on all the articles from yesterday and this feels eerily similar to when the Chargers were making one last push for Measure C before they left.

I'm genuinely curious about how Goligoski feels about this since he was "sold" on a new arena before signing his long term deal.
I have said this repeatedly about Goligoski. He was sold a bill of goods and he bit. Had he been reading the mega thread he would not have made such a blunder.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:

After saying this...

At this point in the saga if the lease, and AMF was still in place they probably use the out clause to blackmail a even bigger AMF.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
aqib

What ever happened to the list of threads that started every Coyotes thread?

Old
03-08-2017, 09:40 AM
MNNumbers

I'm wondering about that meeting that IA had with Glendale a week or so ago. Obviously, the front was to consider the possibility of working something out.

IA/NHL have tried (unsuccessfully - to my joy) to convince everyone that the problem is Glendale (it could only be COG in that they are not willing to pay 15M/yr).

However, I wonder if the meeting was really to begin discussions about breaking the lease for 17-18 season. In other words, "You know and we know what the situation is here. We can't stay afloat in your barn. We need a new barn. If we can't get one, you understand we are leaving the market. I know we signed for next year, but that was in hopes that the State of Arizona would see the necessity of another arena. Since they apparently do not, we think that the lease for next year should not be in force."

And, then Glendale responds, "Well, we'll think about it. But, that's too bad. We have a very nice arena, and it's still state-of-the-art. We built it for you. And, the terms of your lease are very favorable. It's too bad your business doesn't work here. Hmmm, how about you pay us 5M to forfeit next year?"

Or, something like that.

Anyway, I wonder if those discussions have already begun?

Old
03-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Here we go with Shannon's disinformation. "Cash call mentioned"... why would that be required when IA can simply avail themselves of the NHL's LOC from Citi-Bank, something they've surely been dipping into to keep the boat afloat for the past 3yrs? Nothing like amping up the stakes with desperation, "cash call mentioned".... time to lower the lifeboats Boys... unreal. Absolute nonsense, hyperbole.... did he even stop to think that people might wonder why they'd need to go for a cash call when supposedly their sitting pretty on nearly 200 million for a new rink? Red Herring.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:44 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I'm wondering about that meeting that IA had with Glendale a week or so ago. Obviously, the front was to consider the possibility of working something out.

IA/NHL have tried (unsuccessfully - to my joy) to convince everyone that the problem is Glendale (it could only be COG in that they are not willing to pay 15M/yr).

However, I wonder if the meeting was really to begin discussions about breaking the lease for 17-18 season. In other words, "You know and we know what the situation is here. We can't stay afloat in your barn. We need a new barn. If we can't get one, you understand we are leaving the market. I know we signed for next year, but that was in hopes that the State of Arizona would see the necessity of another arena. Since they apparently do not, we think that the lease for next year should not be in force."

And, then Glendale responds, "Well, we'll think about it. But, that's too bad. We have a very nice arena, and it's still state-of-the-art. We built it for you. And, the terms of your lease are very favorable. It's too bad your business doesn't work here. Hmmm, how about you pay us 5M to forfeit next year?"

Or, something like that.

Anyway, I wonder if those discussions have already begun?
I would love to see the CoG force the Coyotes to stay and play in Glendale next season, more so if everyone knows they are leaving Arizona. The look on Bettman's and LeBlanc's faces as they add up the losses in a season like that would be priceless. You screwed Glendale over, so this is your cost to leave.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
JimAnchower

Nice to see that nothing much has changed in the nine months since I was last here. There might be some new names for me to familiarize myself with, but that might be it.

Old
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
cupcakes anyone?

Old
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

When is the legislature supposed to be voting on this?

Closed Thread