Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-2017 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2017, 07:28 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
wondering what people are thinking about Smart.

my take is

good points
strong defender
decent at free throws
decent rebounder
A for hustle

bad points
terrible shooter - to the point it can be really a problem
average passer

Is he part of the future, or a player you include in a trade

Celtics have an abundance of players in that size range, and could reallly use a big man (bye bye Amir)
NOPE, WHY would Amir be traded, or anyone else, when you are essentially the top seed in the conference and the picks you already have via past deals.....

btw, Knicks freefall into oblivion continues when Noah gets banned for 20 games after a knee injury by violating the league drug protocol

Old
03-25-2017, 07:30 PM
CDJ

I think smart is becoming a good facilitator.

Old
03-25-2017, 08:45 PM
samsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
NOPE, WHY would Amir be traded, or anyone else, when you are essentially the top seed in the conference and the picks you already have via past deals.....

btw, Knicks freefall into oblivion continues when Noah gets banned for 20 games after a knee injury by violating the league drug protocol
Because the Celtics are winning despite Amir, not because of him.
6 points and 4 rebounds a game from your starting center screams this position needs an upgrade

Old
03-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:

my take is

good points
strong defender
decent at free throws
decent rebounder
A for hustle

bad points
average passer

Celtics have an abundance of players in that size range, and could reallly use a big man (bye bye Amir)
Smart's a good passer. I'd add that to the good category. But I'd add to his shooting, that it's not just from range. He's not good at finishing at the rim, especially on drives, as opposed to post ups.

I think we'll want to choose between Bradley and Smart sooner rather than later. At the start of the year, I would've chosen Smart easily. Now I'd lean towards Bradley, despite being a little older and due to be more expensive.

Old
03-25-2017, 09:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Because the Celtics are winning despite Amir, not because of him.
6 points and 4 rebounds a game from your starting center screams this position needs an upgrade
AND THERE'S NOT GOING TO BE AN UPGRADE this season, when you are now 1/2 game behind the 1 seed, and can tie the 1 seed by this time tomorrow.

Old
03-26-2017, 09:55 AM
samsdad

OBVIOUSLY there is not going to be an upgrade this year
The trade deadline has passed, and there are no other options.

In the future Amir needs to go, and with the draft picks the Celtics have, it would be wise to package Smart for an upgrade at C/F

Old
03-26-2017, 11:10 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY there is not going to be an upgrade this year
The trade deadline has passed, and there are no other options.

In the future Amir needs to go, and with the draft picks the Celtics have, it would be wise to package Smart for an upgrade at C/F
NO TRADES, EVEN IN THE FUTURE, i'm afraid, because why would u trade anyone off this club now, this is like dumping the entire roster, including IT, AND BE WHERE this club was three years ago, pass

Old
03-26-2017, 11:22 AM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
NO TRADES, EVEN IN THE FUTURE, i'm afraid, because why would u trade anyone off this club now, this is like dumping the entire roster, including IT, AND BE WHERE this club was three years ago, pass
Because you're gonna draft either Fultz or Ball and this team is weak inside?

Old
03-26-2017, 02:06 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
Because you're gonna draft either Fultz or Ball and this team is weak inside?
you're not drafting either, most likely.... if you are the 1 seed why do you need the top pick, when was the last time this club had the 1 pick, not a top 5....

this team is fine the way it is, who else in the East is really challenging Cleveland?

Old
03-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

We don't need to upgrade Amir. He's fine for what he is - a rotation big who plays 20 minutes a night, but almost never closes out games. We don't need a new center to be in our crunch time 5. We have Horford. But if we want to be anything more than a longshot to win a title, we do need a major talent upgrade somewhere - probably on the wing. And that might require renouncing Amir's cap hold and letting him walk in free agency, something Ainge wouldn't hesitate to do.

Old
03-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Celtics outlast a decent Heat-team and overtake the Cavs in wins. Cavs have to face a much tougher schedule (Spurs tomorrow).

I gotta say, in terms of favorite 1st round match-ups, I'd rank them as the following:

1. Bulls/Pistons (but I don't think either team makes it)
2. Pacers (we just match up well)
3. Heat (always playing hard, but I think our talent would prevail over a long series)
4. Hawks (they are seriously trending down and I am actually not that impressed with that team)
5. Bucks (trending up with Middleton back and Giannis is too much to handle, Monroe would also give us fits)

Miami is likely staying at #8 (only realistic if we get #1), but #5-#7 is entirely up for grabs.

Old
03-26-2017, 08:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
Celtics outlast a decent Heat-team and overtake the Cavs in wins. Cavs have to face a much tougher schedule (Spurs tomorrow).

I gotta say, in terms of favorite 1st round match-ups, I'd rank them as the following:

1. Bulls/Pistons (but I don't think either team makes it)
2. Pacers (we just match up well)
3. Heat (always playing hard, but I think our talent would prevail over a long series)
4. Hawks (they are seriously trending down and I am actually not that impressed with that team)
5. Bucks (trending up with Middleton back and Giannis is too much to handle, Monroe would also give us fits)

Miami is likely staying at #8 (only realistic if we get #1), but #5-#7 is entirely up for grabs.
C's are tied for the 1 seed, pending Spurs/Cavs

Old
03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 278
Nets crushed Atlanta. If the Lakers lose out, Brooklyn only needs to go 5-4 to catch them.

Old
03-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Nets crushed Atlanta. If the Lakers lose out, Brooklyn only needs to go 5-4 to catch them.
The Lakers beat Minnesota a couple days ago. Still have a lot of winnable games left. @Minnesota, Minnesota, Memphis (they're super inconsistent), Sacramento, New Orleans, @GS (last game of the year, 1 seed will probably be locked up).

Old
03-26-2017, 09:17 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

here's a direct quote:

Re: Smart

whether he scores 30 or zero, the two intangibles he does possess are brains and competitiveness

Old
03-27-2017, 01:54 AM
CDJ

He constantly comes up with massive plays in big situations. He ranks 1st on the team in every hustle stat iirc (deflections, charges, loose balls, etc).

He basically just wants it more than everybody else. We saw that on his offensive rebound in the middle of 3 heat players. I still have hope for his shooting too, he's getting better at free throws. Now that's a little different than standard in-game shooting but it shows me he's getting some touch and mechanical consistency

Really good facilitator though.

Plus being able to throw him on lebron and porzingis when he's a combo guard and watch him be relatively effective is wild. I think they love him as a player and value that defensive versatility. It wouldn't shock me if they move Thomas in a deal for another star like Butler and then move forward with BK pick/Smart/Bradley/Rozier

Old
03-27-2017, 08:20 AM
pgm16

Quote:

my take is

good points
strong defender
decent at free throws
decent rebounder
A for hustle

bad points
average passer

Hope he stays for a long time, one hell of a defender, his scoring will improve over the next couple of years !

Old
03-27-2017, 09:30 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Spurs dominate Cavaliers; C's now sole possession of 1 seed

Old
03-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

I've seen LeBron's whole career (I'm not old enough that I can say that about a ton of all time greats). I understand the narrative that he can have his teams flip a switch come playoff time. But I've never seen his team play this poorly in the home stretch of the season and then flip the switch all the way on. They look worse than the 2014 Heat, and that team never fully clicked when they "turned on the switch". They did make it to the finals as the only other decent team in the East (Indiana) was in freefall, but basically no showed once they got there and admitted that they had no legs left.

Again, this Cleveland team looks worse than that Heat team. They can't defend right now. LeBron looks tired. Love doesn't look healthy. Thompson caught a Kardashian. Kyrie's never been a good defender. Jefferson is 36 and they're relying on him way more than they should be.

Does that mean they can't turn it on more than the Heat did? No. Does that mean they can't beat the Celtics even if they don't have much more to give? No. They might beat us and then get swept in the Finals. And is the Celtics path to the conference finals easy? Hell no. Less than 50% of happening. But the Cavs are more vulnerable than I ever thought they'd be.

Old
03-28-2017, 11:14 AM
rkhum

What's the buzz been like for the C's with their great season this year?

Old
03-28-2017, 12:34 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Now this should make for some great TV.

from si.com:

When you think of great NBA rivalries, what comes to mind? Well, if you were born in the 1990s, your first thought is likely the Cavaliers-Warriors. The generation before you might argue Bulls-Pistons, Knicks-Bulls or Knicks-Heat. These are all great choices.

But the greatest rivalry over the course of the NBA’s history is Celtics versus Lakers. Between 1959 and 2010, the franchises met in the NBA Finals 12 times, including three times in the 1980s. Those star-studded teams included multiple Hall of Famers such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, Dennis Johnson, Magic Johnson, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and James Worthy.

With the 30-year anniversary of the 1987 NBA Finals coming up—that series was the third time in four years the Lakers and Celtics met for the title—ESPN Films has commissioned a two-part documentary to examine the famed rivalry. The film will be executive produced by Jonathan Hock, a multiple Emmy Award winning producer and director whose previous 30 for 30s include “The Best That Never Was” (2010), “Unguarded” (2011), “Survive and Advance” (2013) and “Of Miracles and Men” (2015). Hock recently signed a two-year first-look deal with ESPN for all his non-fiction sports-related programming ideas from Hock Films. That means ESPN has the first option for Hock’s work. It’s a great move for both entities given Hock has produced some of the best work in ESPN’s 30 for 30 series.

Hock said the Celtics-Lakers documentary will air in two parts on ESPN, running either at 90 or 120 minutes per episode. The film will likely air next June around the time of the NBA Finals.

Full story here: http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/12...ry-new-details

Old
03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
22Brad Park

Here's what Team Cancer looks like
Lonzo Ball: 'I'm better than' Markelle Fultz
http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1265789
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Old
03-28-2017, 09:46 PM
samsdad

If the Lakers happen to win the lottery, what are the odds they take Ball? Being from UCLA would that influence their decision....any reports out there on which way they would go?

Old
03-28-2017, 10:15 PM
CDJ

I don't really think there's anything wrong with him saying that

His dad needs to shut up tho

Old
03-28-2017, 11:20 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
I don't really think there's anything wrong with him saying that

His dad needs to shut up tho
The problem I see is that they come as a package. You draft the kid and now you've got Daddy bi*ching to the media because his son's not playing enough or the offense doesn't revolve enough around him. The Lakers really seem to covet Ball so if they end up with the # 2 pick I would bluff and try to squeeze something out of them to pass on Ball and pick Fultz with the top pick.

Closed Thread