2016-2017 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2017, 11:24 PM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
The problem I see is that they come as a package. You draft the kid and now you've got Daddy bi*ching to the media because his son's not playing enough or the offense doesn't revolve enough around him. The Lakers really seem to covet Ball so if they end up with the # 2 pick I would bluff and try to squeeze something out of them to pass on Ball and pick Fultz with the top pick.

I want anyone but Ball.Trouble written all over it Let him play for Lakers .That's a conceded franchise so he will fit right in.

Old
03-29-2017, 02:20 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
If the Lakers happen to win the lottery, what are the odds they take Ball? Being from UCLA would that influence their decision....any reports out there on which way they would go?
Pretty good since I read somewhere Magic Johnson thinks that Ball is " destined to be a Laker ".

Old
03-29-2017, 07:48 AM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I want anyone but Ball.Trouble written all over it Let him play for Lakers .That's a conceded franchise so he will fit right in.
I don't want Ball and it has nothing to do with his dad. I think he's overrated and would easily take Fultz or Jackson over him.

Old
03-30-2017, 09:09 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Nice job Detroit.

Old
03-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I don't want Ball and it has nothing to do with his dad. I think he's overrated and would easily take Fultz or Jackson over him.
Not sure you can say that, though. There is a reason why the guys draws comparisons to Jason Kidd (with a better shot, but worse on D). of course it's not a given that he will have such a HOF-career obviously, but even when he gets close to that, this skillset is legit.
On the other hand, his entourage LaVar is probably going t be a problem. The guy does not shy away from talking...even with his son not being in the NBA yet. Yesterday he went on to qualify his Lakers-statement...that they are WC-people and he wants his son to be near his family. I get the argument, but there is no reason for him to say this in public at all or if he has to, he didn't need to mention the Lakers. Just that he wishes his son would stay closer to home.

Of course I wouldn't ignore Ball if he was still on the board with the #4 pick, but by looking at the mock drafts, needs and reports, I don't think many scenarios exist in which Ball ends up in Boston.
If we get the #1, it's probably Fultz. If we get the #2, I feel it's gonna be Jackson. If we pick #3, I assume Ball would already be gone or they even like Tatum better, which wouldn't be all that outrageous to me.
I honestly expect Tatum to be the big winner of the combine and private workouts, similar to Brown last year. The guy has great measurements.

As I said before, getting the #2 pick would be the toughest scenario to me. I would only be comfortable taking Fultz with the #1.

And for the record, while I root for the Lakers to lose their pick, I wouldn't mind a scenario in which they get Ball and we select Fultz. That could become a fascinating rivalry between those 2.

Old
03-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Wrigley
The Lollipop Guild

vCash: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
...And for the record, while I root for the Lakers to lose their pick, I wouldn't mind a scenario in which they get Ball and we select Fultz. That could become a fascinating rivalry between those 2.
Fultz's team went 6-12 in conference and 13-18 overall. Bird played on a less talented team and went undefeated (33-0) until losing to Magic in the NCAA Finals. / Change of subject. The Cavs will not go to the Finals.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Old
03-31-2017, 02:11 PM
CDJ

edit: I'm an idiot

Last edited by CDJ: 03-31-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old
03-31-2017, 02:14 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Ben Taylor made the team

He was drafted in the top 10 because he was considered a cheap sign where money against the spending cap could be saved but he turned into an intriguing pen arm. RHP, low-mid 90's FB. Decent slider. Posts nice strikeout numbers. There are a handful of guys in that category in the system.
Yeah but can he rebound?

Old
03-31-2017, 02:16 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Yeah but can he rebound?

HAND UP GUYS HAND UP, that's on me

Old
03-31-2017, 11:31 PM
CDJ

Stole that one

Old
04-01-2017, 05:55 AM
Mr Cartmenez

I wish the season was ending today. The seeds are perfectly in place for us. We'd get Indiana (our opponents are likely down to Miami, Indiana, Chicago) as the #1 seed and avoid Toronto in the 2nd round if we were to advance.
The #1 seed probably comes down to that h2h with Cleveland in a few days.

Old
04-01-2017, 09:53 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
I wish the season was ending today. The seeds are perfectly in place for us. We'd get Indiana (our opponents are likely down to Miami, Indiana, Chicago) as the #1 seed and avoid Toronto in the 2nd round if we were to advance.
The #1 seed probably comes down to that h2h with Cleveland in a few days.
They better avoid Toronto or could be going bye bye.Toronto has Celts number Rather stay away from that team getting Lowry back too

Old
04-01-2017, 10:54 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
If ever a 1 seed could get taken out in the first round this is it

Old
04-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If ever a 1 seed could get taken out in the first round this is it
Yes, because they are not that much better than the teams they are going to face, but that is okay and no matter what, this season already feels like a win. Progress in terms of wins and seeding. IT4 has emerged/established himself as a true superstar, which comes a long way in terms of recruiting free agents.
Why wouldn't Hayward/Griffin come here? I mean, you'd join a 50+ win (#1-#2 seed) in the EC with only the Cavs (aging Lebron) as strong competition and still not maxed out and so many great asets in the backpocket (likely top #4 pick in a strong draft, 2018 top pick, Memphis 2019, Zizic, Yabusele)

Old
04-04-2017, 11:29 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 278
Nets crushed Philly and have won 3 in a row. If they finish out 3-1 they could catch both the Lakers and the Suns.

Old
04-05-2017, 04:28 AM
13Hockey
Go B's

Bulls who our fighting for the playoff lives should at worst Split there 2 remaining games with the Nets

Than the Celtics play them at Home with rest and you know they will go all out to beat the Nets if the game still holds there lotto odds in the balance

im Still not worried about the Nets tying LA or PHX or passing them

I think they finish the year 1-3

Celtics caught a BIG break this year though with Jermey Lin missing so many games they are 12-12 in the last 24 games Lin has played he has missed 45 games on the year

Magic # to clinch the best lotto odds for number 1 pick is : 2

Old
04-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Mr Cartmenez

The Lin-effect is overblown and last nights game was an anomaly. They also got hot in a game against NOLA in which they scored 140+ (without Lin). But most of the time they are way too dependent on Lopez' scoring. They wouldn't win many games without him. They don't have anyone who can match his 25-30 point production.

But with that being said, it's definitely not out of the question that the Nets will be catching the lakers and/or Suns and it may be the right time to start panicking. It hurts me to say, but unfortunately it's a remote possibillity. it's the perfect storm for them, Phoenix and LA have been blatantly tanking for awhile (should both have way more than 22 wins at this point it's downright comical), they got Lin back and are set on finishing the year strong. Had they control over their own pick, there is zero chance Lopez and/or Lin would still be playing, NONE.

As far as the remaining schedule goes, where is that definite L? @ORL is a 50:50 game and you never know what Bulls-team is showing up, the one who swept the Cavs or got swept by the Knicks? And the Celtics? We may not rest anyone, but the players will not have that extra chip on their shoulder, because not many players actually care about draft picks (look at Crowder, he wouldn't even want Hayward on that team even though knowing it would make us instant contenders)

I can see BKN going 3-1 which would require the other 2 bottom dwellers to win one more game. I can actually see a few Lakers wins due to their relatively weak schedule (3 at home against NOLA, SAC and MIN plus one at GS in which the Dubs may rest everyone).
Phoenix is tougher though, we basically need them to win 1 out of the games against DAL and SAC, but I have not much faith since they also lost against Houston who rested their 3 best guys. If they lose out, they will have finished the season on a 16 game losing streak and there is zero chance they would have lost that many had they not shut down that whole team way too early.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say the Nets finish 3-1, Lakers 2-4 and Suns 1-3. This would be enough.

If the Nets somehow catch both of them and we get screwed over by the rigged lotto again (6% chance of picking #5 if they tie one team for the worst record) and only pick #5-#6, then I just might never recover from that. #4 is the cut-off for me in terms of players and perceived value around the league. Especially if we swing and miss on either Hayward or Griffin on top of that.

Old
04-05-2017, 08:31 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

I was told here months ago to stop worrying about the Nets and that there was no way they catch anyone, but it was clear to me, while clearly terrible, they weren't as bad as their record indicated, were playing a lot of good teams close, and were capable of going on a run. That, and they had no reason to tank. I'm hoping they fail, but it won't surprise me if we lose some ping pong balls.

This is also worrisome for next season.

Old
04-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
I was told here months ago to stop worrying about the Nets and that there was no way they catch anyone, but it was clear to me, while clearly terrible, they weren't as bad as their record indicated, were playing a lot of good teams close, and were capable of going on a run. That, and they had no reason to tank. I'm hoping they fail, but it won't surprise me if we lose some ping pong balls.

This is also worrisome for next season.
Sorry, but the only valid point you are making is that they have no incentive to tank. Because if they did, they wouldn't play their veterans anymore.

But every team goes on some kind of runs during a season. The 10-10 Lakers in november/december were never going to be a playoff team. But had those teams not decided to rest everyone and their mother, this wouldn't be close at all.

And oh my god are we getting slaughtered by the Cavs. They are just on another level. LeBron alone is too much to handle and there is Z-E-R-O chance any east team takes him out, this guy plays awesome when fully engaded.

Sometimes you have to tip your hat and accept the facts. This team is not a contender yet. That's why not having to endure the pressure of the #1 sed would be better for them come post-season. The opponents won't differ much anyway, it's either Indy, Chicago or Miami.

Last edited by Mr Cartmenez: 04-05-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old
04-06-2017, 05:13 AM
pgm16

Cleveland just ran over them tonight !!! Still believe they can win a couple of playoff rounds though.

Old
04-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm16 View Post
Cleveland just ran over them tonight !!! Still believe they can win a couple of playoff rounds though.
A couple? How about just win one first.

Old
04-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm16 View Post
Cleveland just ran over them tonight!
This was the equivalent of the Soviets beating the US 10-3 at Madison Square Garden 10 days before the start of the 1980 Olympics.

Old
04-06-2017, 07:08 AM
samsdad

The Celtics are very good, but are going to have to address the lack of rebounding before they are going to be in top tier. There is no way as a contender they can give up this many offensive rebounds once they get in the playoffs....good teams will make them pay.

Also a consistent scorer to go with Thomas is another big need.

Old
04-06-2017, 09:06 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Shocking win by the Lakers over the Spurs. Also big is they are now in danger of losing their pick if someone jumps them in the draft.

Old
04-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
The Celtics are very good, but are going to have to address the lack of rebounding before they are going to be in top tier. There is no way as a contender they can give up this many offensive rebounds once they get in the playoffs....good teams will make them pay.

Also a consistent scorer to go with Thomas is another big need.
Second paragraph is a much bigger need and much harder to find. We need to pretty much devote everything to finding that guy - not a bandaid rebounder.

Closed Thread