Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-2017 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Mr Cartmenez

vCash: 500
Don't look now: The Orlando Magic somehow found a way to beat the Golden State Nets, even though they were resting some of their better players.

The magic number is officially down to 1 and we cannot do worse than tied last (which actually wouldn't dramatically alter the odds...just a 6% chance of picking #5 instead of 0%)

I just hope the Suns somehow make it quick tomorrow, I want this year long torture to finally end (even though I'd rather not have the Suns catch the Lakers again)

Old
04-06-2017, 10:13 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Speaking of the NBA Draft - I don't want to get any sort of warning or infraction I'll just post the story without any comment.

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball has a new theory for why UCLA didn’t win the national championship he predicted UCLA would win: too many “white guys.”

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” he told The Orange County Register.

UCLA had three white starters this season -- namely Bryce Alford, TJ Leaf and Thomas Welsh. Oddly, none of them were beat off the dribble possession after possession in the Bruins’ 86-75 Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky. That honor belonged to Lonzo Ball, LaVar’s son, who watched De’Aaron Fox go for 39 points in 36 minutes.

Either way, Lonzo Ball is a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft.

UCLA finished 31-5 this season.

Old
04-06-2017, 10:26 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Speaking of the NBA Draft - I don't want to get any sort of warning or infraction I'll just post the story without any comment.

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball has a new theory for why UCLA didn’t win the national championship he predicted UCLA would win: too many “white guys.”

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” he told The Orange County Register.

UCLA had three white starters this season -- namely Bryce Alford, TJ Leaf and Thomas Welsh. Oddly, none of them were beat off the dribble possession after possession in the Bruins’ 86-75 Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky. That honor belonged to Lonzo Ball, LaVar’s son, who watched De’Aaron Fox go for 39 points in 36 minutes.

Either way, Lonzo Ball is a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft.

UCLA finished 31-5 this season.
Told you before. Celtics better stay FAR AWAY FROM THAT FAMILY.

Old
04-06-2017, 10:31 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Told you before. Celtics better stay FAR AWAY FROM THAT FAMILY.
I've been saying the same thing ever since Daddy started running his mouth at every opportunity. Let him go to the Lakers so we don't have to hear him b**ch about his son's lack of playing time or not getting enough touches on offense.

Old
04-06-2017, 10:36 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Boy, Lonzo better be the second coming of Jason Kidd to be worth putting up with Lavar. You gotta give it to him, he's entertaining, but what good is that for when 75% of his talk is downright crap?

But in the end, talent will prevail. I don't think Lavar has any kind of influence on his son's draft stock at all. These are all very powerful people in the FO, they probably think they can handle Lavar.

Old
04-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Ten Thousand Hours

Talent and Lonzo's personality is what matters. By all accounts, Lonzo is a great kid. Who gives a **** about what his dad says? Talent wise, he's not as good as Fultz, and I'm not sure he's definitely better than Jackson or Tatum, so I'm not hoping we get him, but I'd be happy with him. Good player. Good kid. That's what matters.

Old
04-07-2017, 08:13 AM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

My question with Lonzo is whether or not he can be an effective scorer in the NBA. If we get #1, I'd take Fultz all day.

Old
04-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Wrigley
The Lollipop Guild

vCash: 3495
Edited: I think the Celtics can go to the Finals this year, but Ainge needs to let the moths escape from his GM wallet and trade some combo of picks and/or players for an All-Star such as Butler or George. The Celtics need a superstar besides IT.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last edited by Wrigley; 04-07-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Old
04-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Thousand Hours View Post
Talent and Lonzo's personality is what matters. By all accounts, Lonzo is a great kid. Who gives a **** about what his dad says? Talent wise, he's not as good as Fultz, and I'm not sure he's definitely better than Jackson or Tatum, so I'm not hoping we get him, but I'd be happy with him. Good player. Good kid. That's what matters.
I am not sure whether or not to like his "I'd rater be a Laker than being the 1st overall" personality. I totally get that playing near your whole family would be a comfortable situation, but being in the NBA is not (solely) about being comfortable. And again, even if he feels that deep down inside, why would he come out and say it? Of course he will play for any team (not that he's got much of a choice), but this topic might come up again in the distant future.

On the other hand, you can also find some red flags about Jackson as well...and even worse red flags for that matter. That incident when he threatened to beat a woman.

Fultz seems like a good and driven kid to me. He is my one by a landslide. I don't know if I believe some reports that many teams (inlcuding Lakers, Suns) like Ball better.

Old
04-07-2017, 04:30 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Not surprisingly the backtracking has begun.

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball, the father of former UCLA star Lonzo Ball, is back in the news again after controversial comments made on Thursday taking an apparent shot at the speed of white athletes, telling The Orange County Register, “You can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow.”

Given the opportunity to clarify his stance, he doubled down on CBS Sports Radio’s Tiki and Tierney and explained why he felt that way. He wasn’t shy about it, either. I mean, is he ever shy?

“I’m just stating a fact,” Ball said. “Here’s the thing. People keep thinking that I blame the white guys. No, no. Every time we lose, I only blame one person – and that’s my son. That’s my son. I don’t blame anybody (else). But I said prove me wrong that you can’t win nowadays with three white guys on the floor at the same time. I’m not saying I don’t like white people and white people can’t win or nothing like that. I’m just saying when you have more athleticism (on the floor), it’s kind of hard when you don’t have the foot speed. That’s just a realistic fact.”

Ball said his comments weren’t “racial” in nature.

“It’s not racial,” Ball said. “I can’t be racial. Some people just take it the wrong way and that’s OK – because that’s how the media (is). They try to twist it around because it’s more interesting when (they) say ‘LaVar is racist.’ Like I said, I stated my opinion of what I thought. The foot speed is just too slow to catch up with all the athleticism on the court.”

Full story here: http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...rs-not-racial/

Old
04-07-2017, 11:17 PM
13Hockey
Go B's

Suns win

Brooklyn officaly has the worst record in the NBA

Celtics have the best odds for the #1 pick

Old
04-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Mr Cartmenez

It's a wrap. Top 4 pick and best lotto odds officially clinched. There appears to be a drop off after 4, so I am stoked we can't pick lower and hope for top 2 (close to a coin flip chance).

We need this to happen 1 more year, but a top 3 & 4 already exceeded expectations. Give me Fultz and Hayward/Griffin and call it an off-season.

Old
04-08-2017, 12:08 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Hockey View Post
Celtics have the best odds for the #1 pick
Surely the Lottery Gods won't mock us for a 3rd time.

Old
04-08-2017, 12:37 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 278
Just keep Stern out of the building.

Old
04-08-2017, 05:55 AM
pgm16

This is the year !!!

Old
04-09-2017, 08:10 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Top spot in the East is still possible as Cleveland blew a 26 point lead today in Atlanta. With 2 games left Boston and Cleveland both have 51-29 records. Cleveland plays at Miami and home against Toronto while Boston has 2 home games against Brooklyn and Milwaukee. To be honest - if the both teams are still tied after 82 games I have no idea on which team is favored in the tie-breaker.

Old
04-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Top spot in the East is still possible as Cleveland blew a 26 point lead today in Atlanta. With 2 games left Boston and Cleveland both have 51-29 records. Cleveland plays at Miami and home against Toronto while Boston has 2 home games against Brooklyn and Milwaukee. To be honest - if the both teams are still tied after 82 games I have no idea on which team is favored in the tie-breaker.
Cleveland wins the tie breaker due to the h2h. We need to win out and Cleveland to lose at least once. Best bet is against the Heat, Toronto is very likely to just let them win as they are almost locked n at the #3 seed and wants to avoid the Cas in round 2.

I have not been a huge friend of being the #1 seed, but Washington in a possible round 2 would be a much more favorable match-up than Toronto. I don't like the Craptors and their fans, but I feel like they are the only legitimate threats to Cleveland. I think Ibaka will make a difference in the post-season.
As I said before, the Cavs can be had. We just made them look a lot better than they are, we missed so many open shots and our bench **** the bed.

West match-ups are set:

Golden State vs. Portland --> decent match-up, Blazers can be entertaining.
Spurs vs. Memphis --> kinda meh
Rockets vs. OKC --> should be a good one, Harden vs. Westbrook, MVP vs. runner-up (my guess is Harden wins as he should)
Jazz vs. Clips --> anothernice match-up. 2 potential future Celtics Hayward vs. Griffin. I guess the loser is more likely to change teams in the off-season. Don't know whom I'd rather have, but I am rooting for the Jazz in this one.

Old
04-09-2017, 10:15 PM
kman22

Quote:
Cleveland because they took the head-to-head series (3-1). Surprised this is still on the table though, let's hope for the best.

Old
04-09-2017, 10:18 PM
CDJ

I only want a series win. Anything after is gravy.

Wildly successful year in terms of the BK pick and how the team performed in the regular season. They were inconsistent at times but that's an 82 game schedule for ya.

Horford gets a lot of **** from fans who expected him to be a beast on the glass but it's no coincidence Bradley, Thomas, and crowder had the best offensive seasons of their careers

Old
04-10-2017, 06:03 AM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Just keep Stern out of the building.
I don't think there's any way that the league will allow the Lakers to fall out of the top 3 and lose this pick. That could cripple their franchise and it's in the league's best interest if the Lakers are good.

Old
04-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Wrigley
The Lollipop Guild

vCash: 3495

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I don't think there's any way that the league will allow the Lakers to fall out of the top 3 and lose this pick. That could cripple their franchise and it's in the league's best interest if the Lakers are good.
Agreed. I posted the odds of the Celtics probable first round opponents above. I just hope the Celtics will trade one of their Nets draft picks. Although I think they can go to the Finals this year, if they trade a Nets pick I think they can win it all. The Cavs defense has died and they have no depth, the Warriors can't afford to keep 4 max contract players together, and the old, slow LMA and the old, slow Pau Gasol were horrible choices to run with the young and fast Spurs Kawhi.

Since the advent of the draft lottery in 1985, only seven number one overall picks have won an NBA title (David Robinson, Shaquille O'Neal, Glenn Robinson, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Andrew Bogut, and Kyrie Irving.). There are less guarantees of getting a good overall player than ever. The last 3 drafts have produced top picks that either play bad defense such as the Lakers, Nuggets, Suns (Booker scored 70 against the Celtics and lost), and T-Wolves (Wiggins and Towns each scored 40 in the same game and lost) or are injury plagued such as the 76ers Simmons and Embiid who has played less games at this stage of his career than Greg Oden. The Celtics may not be the best at drafting either. They have not had a first team All-Rookie player since Paul Pierce in 1999. I'll taken a proven NBA player and a ring please.

Last edited by Wrigley; 04-10-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Old
04-10-2017, 04:51 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Good news concerning the race for the top spot in the East. The Cavaliers are resting their top 3 players ( and possibly their top 4 ) for tonight's game in Miami.

Old
04-10-2017, 09:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
at least a 2 seed depending on Cleveland'S REMAINING schedule, AND THE nETS PICK is OURS AS WELL after beating them 114-105....

Old
04-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Fossy21
Nobel Prize Deke

Cleveland refuses to give this up.

Old
04-10-2017, 09:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossy21 View Post
Cleveland refuses to give this up.
Heat/Cavs in OT, remember no tie-breaker in favor of the C's BUT AN outside shot of the 1 seed if CLE loses 1

Closed Thread