HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

CCM up for sale

Old
03-08-2017, 01:23 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

vCash: 500
CCM up for sale

http://www.tsn.ca/adidas-seeks-buyer...ockey-1.690947

Posted without additional comment except to ask all of you who might be willing to buy them?

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 01:24 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

I'll take it.

With Adidas' entry into the hockey world via the actual Adidas brand it seems like it's dead weight anyway.

03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Wonder how much they want for it?... and why they'd jettison so prestigious a brand name.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Wonder how much they want for it?... and why they'd jettison so prestigious a brand name.
I'm guessing they think they can get some money out of it and don't plan on using it anymore. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have two brands owned by the same corporation fighting each other for market share.

If they succeed in selling it, I imagine it goes to some smaller company that's just looking to purchase a foothold in the hockey equipment world and are willing to pay up for some of the cache of the CCM name. Meaning, I don't think they'll sell any of the current CCM technology or R&D in the works. Adidas will likely just slap three stripes on the CCM stuff and call it Adidas instead of CCM.

BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I'm guessing they think they can get some money out of it and don't plan on using it anymore. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have two brands owned by the same corporation fighting each other for market share.

If they succeed in selling it, I imagine it goes to some smaller company that's just looking to purchase a foothold in the hockey equipment world and are willing to pay up for some of the cache of the CCM name. Meaning, I don't think they'll sell any of the current CCM technology or R&D in the works. Adidas will likely just slap three stripes on the CCM stuff and call it Adidas instead of CCM.
Ya, thats what I assumed as well, just buying the name however I wonder why sell it as even with Adidas/Reebok, they could produce a small run of skates, gloves etc with the CCM moniker, high-end or alternatively entry level, like a "boutique brand" within their greater department store offerings of Adidas/Reebok .... maybe a CCM Retro-line. Like tan leather goalie pads w/matching gloves, CCM Tacks skates etc.... I grew up with CCM & Cooper-Weekes which became Cooper Canada, a name long gone from the scene but once totally dominated 60's & 70's so a bit of subjectivity on my part perhaps.

Old
03-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Ya, thats what I assumed as well, just buying the name however I wonder why sell it as even with Adidas/Reebok, they could produce a small run of skates, gloves etc with the CCM moniker, high-end or alternatively entry level, like a "boutique brand" within their greater department store offerings of Adidas/Reebok .... maybe a CCM Retro-line. Like tan leather goalie pads w/matching gloves, CCM Tacks skates etc.... I grew up with CCM & Cooper-Weekes which became Cooper Canada, a name long gone from the scene but once totally dominated 60's & 70's so a bit of subjectivity on my part perhaps.
Cooperalls?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Cooperalls?
... God no. And those came along after my time but I did try them out in a Beer League, playing forward after hanging up the Goalie pads years earlier. Those Cooperall's.... Man, you'd just slide & slide & slide if you got knocked off your feet... like a Speed Skier blowing out of his bindings at Warp 9... Wide World of Sports opening.... rag doll... crash test dummy... felt like an old man trying to get out of a bathtube in trying to get up doing a Spiderman impersonation. Slip slidin away.

Old
03-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Weissy Baby

So essentially its assumed that Adidas will sell off the brand name CCM, and replace the CCM logo with Adidas branding on all their current/ future products.

My question is will this encourage other competitors of Adidas for other types of sports equipment such as Nike, Under Armour, Puma, New Balance, etc. to try and get a piece of the hockey equipment pie as Bauer is in trouble and CCM is up for sale leaving the sports traditional brands on the way out of business creating an environment where new brand loyalties can be created?

Weissy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

It's not really clear from the article what is happening, but when they talk about the year to year sales declines it suggests they are selling off the whole equipment division. Selling off the brand for some one time revenue (probably small if no gear is going with it) isn't going to help with their declining sales.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Cooperalls?
As a child of the 70s, who played hockey in the 80s... I miss Cooperalls. Even as I dress my kid for Timbit hockey, hockey socks still seem like such antiquated technology.

As to the topic at hand: it seems odd that Adidas would want to sell the CCM brand, if they still intend to keep selling hockey equipment. Normally if you want to replace your branding, you want to make sure no one else can use the old brand.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

Based upon the Globe and Mail article, it's not just the name that's for sale, it's the whole division:

Adidas revealed in its 2016 annual report Wednesday that the company would be actively seeking a buyer for the skate, stick, helmet and other hockey-gear business as part of a multiyear plan to renew its focus on athletic footwear and apparel, and shed unrelated business lines.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle34237314/

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ very interesting. so they are selling it all off lock, stock & barrel.... I'm sure someone'll pick it up, exceptionally strong brand name.... reminds me a bit of Winnwell. parent company called Wellinger & Dunn founded in Toronto in like 1909. Leather goods. Sports equipment including shoulder & shin pads, helmets & of course most famously, their gloves, at one time used by the vast majority of Junior & NHL clubs. In the late 70's, acquired by Cooper Canada, then the largest hockey equipment manufacturer on the planet, who in turn spun off the Winnwell brand a few years thereafter to Irwin Toy Co of Toronto, and who then sold it off in the mid 80's to a private company that still mfgs' the line today. Like Winnwell, CCM just too strong a brand to die, fall by the wayside.

Old
03-09-2017, 09:51 AM
SCBlueLiner

This is not new. It's kind of been known that Addidas was going to get out of the hockey equipment business. Addidas kind of ended up with CCM as a part of the Reebok purchase. Hockey equipment is not the main focus of their business.

Love CCM hockey equipment. Really hope that CCM will get bought by some private firm that will continue the progress that CCM has made into taking Bauer's market share.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Chau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBlueLiner View Post
This is not new. It's kind of been known that Addidas was going to get out of the hockey equipment business. Addidas kind of ended up with CCM as a part of the Reebok purchase. Hockey equipment is not the main focus of their business.

Love CCM hockey equipment. Really hope that CCM will get bought by some private firm that will continue the progress that CCM has made into taking Bauer's market share.
I really thought they hit it out of the park with the Super Tacks skates. It'd be a shame if it were to end and all we are left with at the retail level are Bauers. Kind of like how the Mako 2's came out then Bauer shut down the Easton line.

Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:29 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
This might be good news for hockey players in the long run. Adidas might have a lot of brand power, but they are not in the business of making hockey equipment. Better for the consumer if your helmet or stick is made by a company with actual expertise and a long-term commitment to the product.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Chileiceman

Interesting. CCM's parent (SLM) buys up Jofa and Koho and the three of them become the Hockey Company. Then Reebok buys up The Hockey Company and only keeps the CCM brand alive. Then Reebok is bought by Adidas, kills the Reebok line of hockey equipment but keeps CCM. Now they don't even want CCM.

It's interesting how the official jersey and apparel manufacturer of the league will not be making hockey equipment.

I assume CCM will be purchased. If not, that would leave precious few players in the hockey equipment manufacturing game. There would just be Bauer (and possibly their sister Easton, whose parent company is going through financial turmoil), Sher-Wood and Warrior. There may still be a couple goalie suppliers like Vaughan and Brian's.

At some point there were so many, like Itech, Mission, Cooper, Nike, Hespeler, Jofa, Koho, Titan, etc.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:54 AM
SCBlueLiner

Addidas's goal all along was to leverage CCM into getting the lucrative NHL jersey contract. Once they got it there was no use for CCM anymore. Addidas is not in the business of making hockey equipment.

Hockey players can only hope that somebody buys CCM and continues to put out great products that compete with Bauer. Bauer, who is in their own shaky financial position right now is vulnerable. It's important so that there is a reasonable choice in equipment.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 10:16 PM
STL Blues Fan

vCash: 1000
Should I stock up on more CCM ribcore skates?

STL Blues Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 10:41 PM
pbgoalie

Adidas also owns Taylor Made in the golf world, and have been shopping it aggressively.

No takers.

Lots of big names in sports are falling away

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 10:59 AM
THall4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

True Hockey perhaps?

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:
^^^ very interesting. so they are selling it all off lock, stock & barrel.... I'm sure someone'll pick it up, exceptionally strong brand name.... reminds me a bit of Winnwell. parent company called Wellinger & Dunn founded in Toronto in like 1909. Leather goods. Sports equipment including shoulder & shin pads, helmets & of course most famously, their gloves, at one time used by the vast majority of Junior & NHL clubs. In the late 70's, acquired by Cooper Canada, then the largest hockey equipment manufacturer on the planet, who in turn spun off the Winnwell brand a few years thereafter to Irwin Toy Co of Toronto, and who then sold it off in the mid 80's to a private company that still mfgs' the line today. Like Winnwell, CCM just too strong a brand to die, fall by the wayside.
There are companies out there that specialize in reviving known but discarded brands and have portfolios full of them. Somebody will buy this and make money off of it.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:28 AM
BadgerBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by THall4 View Post
True Hockey perhaps?
True Hockey did buy VH (Scott Van Horne) custom skate business based put of Winnipeg a few months ago and apparently have some big plans.

I remember when I first read about the purchase being a bit surprised to learn that "True" is actually "True Temper," the well-known golf shaft company. The press releases suggested that True, which doesn't currently have a line of skates, wants to become a "head to toe" hockey equipment manufacturer but didn't possess the in-house R&D required for elite quality skates. Hence the purchase of VH.

As well, True claimed to be the company behind a high percentage (75+% rings a bell) of composite hockey sticks currently sold under other brand labels, which makes some sense given their expertise in golf shaft technology.

But would they also acquire CCM? Do they need to? I'm not sure.

BadgerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote