HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Female Hockey Players of All Time

Old
03-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Weissy Baby

vCash: 500
Greatest Female Hockey Players of All Time

Since today is International Women's Day I thought it would be a good time to discuss the greatest female players to ever play the game. How would you rank them? I would assume Hayley Wickenheiser would be considered the greatest player of all time, but what order would follow? I would think Cassie Campbell, Cammi Granato, Angela James, Geraldine Heaney, Shannon Szabados, Manon Rheaume, Jennifer Botterill, Meghan Agosta, Marie-Philip Poulin, Jessie Vetter, Hilary Knight, Angela Ruggiero, Julie Chu, Monique and Jocelyne Lamoureux are some of the names who should be in the conversation.

Weissy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 06:54 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

I think Manon Rheaume would've been held in much higher esteem if not for continuously reaching what she believed was her ceiling in her youth, stopping, and then rediscovering the game.

James, Rheaume, Granato, and Wickenheiser are the names that stick out for me.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
She's not mentioned often, but I'll offer up Erin Whitten:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Whitten-Hamlen

At least among goaltenders.

My favorite women's hockey player is still Sarah Tueting (and one of the reasons I wear #29).

Old
03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
She's not mentioned often, but I'll offer up Erin Whitten:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Whitten-Hamlen

At least among goaltenders.

My favorite women's hockey player is still Sarah Tueting (and one of the reasons I wear #29).
Too much 'marica in that list :p.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Sanf

I would dare say that I´m not being a homer when I say that Riikka Välilä (Nieminen) is the best female hockey player from Europe.

From the favourites I have to say Jenni Hiirikoski. She has been in Noora Räty´s shadow in recent years when talking about Finns MVP. To be honest many times I have been more impressed about Hiirikoski.

From goalies... may not be the all-time best but some of my favourites which I think deserve a mention are Florence Schelling, Tuula Puputti and Guo Hong.

Last edited by Sanf: 03-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

By the end of her career I wouldn't be surprised if Poulin is considered the best ever, ahead of Wickenheiser. She still only 25.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

All-Time is hard because now we have the CWHL/NWHL where these players are playing more often. Just looking at the goalies is a giant mess. Rheaume/Szabados own the first two spots but then you have Noora Raty who is pushing hard to make it a big three and if I'm being honest she probably will make it a Big 3 in the next few seasons. We also have Kim St-Pierre who was born late enough that she was able to play in the current CWHL and is now eligible for the HHoF. Jessie Vetter also recently retired and in my eyes is the Greatest American Goalie in Women's Hockey. I've been thinking about doing a Greatest Goalies in Women's Hockey ranking but it's going to be very difficult.

As for players I think that the top is owned by Hayley Wickenheiser and will be for at least another decade. The top European skater in my opinion is Michelle Karvinen with Iya Gavrilova right behind her. Someone to keep an eye who is marking a mark is Lara Stalder of Switzerland who is one of three finalists for the Patty Kaz award (WHKY equivalent of the Hobey Baker).

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I've been thinking about doing a Greatest Goalies in Women's Hockey ranking but it's going to be very difficult.
I'd love to see this undertaken (and agree that it's going to be difficult)!

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I'd love to see this undertaken (and agree that it's going to be difficult)!
In the meantime I do current rankings for each season. So after the 2016 WWHC here's who I had as the top 10 goalies in women's hockey:

Shannon Szabados
Noora Raty
Florence Schelling
Meeri Raisanen
Emerance Maschmeyer
Alex Rigsby
Charline Labonte
Ann-Renee Desbiens
Jessie Vetter
Delayne Brian

Obviously this years rankings are going to change up a bit. Desbiens has just been fantastic in the NCAA, Vetter has retired and Brian has been relegated to the 3rd goalie on the Calgary Inferno depth chart.

Old
03-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Weissy Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I've been thinking about doing a Greatest Goalies in Women's Hockey ranking but it's going to be very difficult.
Where would you rank Kim Martin? She was very instrumental in Sweden's upset of the USA in the 2006 Olympics, and also was the starter for Sweden's bronze medal game in Salt Lake City. Sweden's best results occurred when Martin was in goal so she definitely influenced and swayed the result in Sweden's favour during the 2002-2010 era.

Weissy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissy Baby View Post
Where would you rank Kim Martin? She was very instrumental in Sweden's upset of the USA in the 2006 Olympics, and also was the starter for Sweden's bronze medal game in Salt Lake City. Sweden's best results occurred when Martin was in goal so she definitely influenced and swayed the result in Sweden's favour during the 2002-2010 era.
She made it onto my preliminary list of 26 goalies. Without being able to compare her to every other goalie (because that's a lot of work I've barely touched) I will say Kim Martin is at least Top-15. Torino works a lot in her favour. I'll say only Florence Schelling has had a more dominant performance by a goalie at the Olympics (Top Goalie, Tourney MVP, All-Star Team). Martin's overall list of accomplishments though put her as the top goalie in Swedish Women's Hockey History. So probably Top 10 then in that instance with a shot at being in the Top 5. Can't believe she's only 31yo but I'm happy she hasn't left hockey. She's a GM of one of the best SDHL teams which has Florence Schelling as the starting goalie funnily enough.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:33 AM
tony d
Irish Spring Soap

Got to think Hayley Wickenheiser would be #1.

Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Got to think Hayley Wickenheiser would be #1.
I don't think there will be a debate until Knight/Decker/Poulin are in their mid 30's and even then there might not be one.

Old
03-17-2017, 11:56 PM
greyraven8

Since we are in the history section will have to add this team into the mix:
https://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/s...amRvults.shtml

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote