03-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

vCash: 500
2016-17
Hellebuyck .908
Hutchinson .893
Pavelec .888

Yeah, I don't know how much of a difference Pavelec over Hutch would've made. He's a proven garbage goalie. Hutch was a possible garbage goalie. Hellebuyck was/is a possible decent goalie. Pavs vs. Hutch is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic anyway. We need big changes in net.

Old
03-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
2016-17
Hellebuyck .908
Hutchinson .893
Pavelec .888

Yeah, I don't know how much of a difference Pavelec over Hutch would've made. He's a proven garbage goalie. Hutch was a possible garbage goalie. Hellebuyck was/is a possible decent goalie. Pavs vs. Hutch is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic anyway. We need big changes in net.
Good analogy.

Old
03-09-2017, 11:13 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
He has done some things.

Signed Montoya
Signed Hutchinson
Traded for Budaj
Drafted Hellebuyck & Comrie among others

It's not that he hasn't done anything. It's that he hasn't solved the problem yet. He had his albatross Pavelec contract limiting his options........until now. We'll see what happens this offseason.
Acquired Jonas Gustavsson's rights. Then a week later he signed with the Red Wings. LOL...

Old
03-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
2016-17
Hellebuyck .908
Hutchinson .893
Pavelec .888

I had and still have absolutely zero problem with the Jets deciding to roll with Helle-Hutch at the beginning of the season. Helle needed to be given a go as their #1. If he faltered, Hutch was a decent gamble as the safety net, and had shown more promise than Pavelec at the time.

Old
03-09-2017, 11:36 PM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
There is a lot of hindsight in this post. Connor was among one of the better forwards in TC and preseason. He made a case he just faltered when the games got tougher. Then you say we shouldn't have run with the young tandem because of stats and then use them to say we shouldn't have played Enstrom. Can't have it both ways you either go with the stats or you don't. I agree I don't want the coaches.

Some people just have no patience. We are so much farther ahead than the team we inherited from Atlanta. Can anyone even name a single full time NHLer that came from Atlanta's prospect pool that we inherited? Not even just with the Jets but anywhere in the NHL? We have maybe what 2 depth guys in Chiarot and Postma. I mean can anyone honestly name a current worse prospect pool than the Jets inherited? How is that not a factor in how bad this team has been? How does a small market team find prospects that can push for roster spot without drafting them or going full scorched earth?
I agree that Chevy built up what we inherited, unquestionably. Just think where this team would have been if Dudley(?) had not acquired Buff for nothing, and Wheeler (and Stu) for Peverley.

I think Connor showed within the first two weeks he did not belong. We kept him here though.

Perreault was an epic failure at centre, while Copp and Petan were in the minors.. Chiarot-Postma were brutal to start, i think Postma has picked up his game with some confidence. Benny is at best a good PT player. Goalies could not win big games.
Started off on the wrong foot, treading water. Never addressed a single issue.

I think we wanted to be Pittsburgh after watching the Pens dominate. In my opinion we should have emulated San Jose, and especially Chicago, who has shown the managerial wherewithal to sell assets when high, to keep the core evolving.

I posted a different lineup earlier, but this is what I would like to see in the offseason.

Bring in winners.

I am ok with losing Perreault in the expansion draft. He has been critical of the leadership here, without leading that much. He also seemed the most keen about Vegas when interviewed

Trade Toby for Darren Helm and McIlrath, who can compete with Poolman.

Trade a 4th and Stuart (cap hit vs salary saves those cheap Isles money) for Halak

Trade Lodge and a 5th for Derrick Poiliot

Sign Trevor Daley to be our PK ace, we have missed since Hainsey and Oduya left.

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Connor/Copp-Little-Wheeler (Copp is more defensively polished when needed)
Helm-Lowry-Armia
Copp/Connor-Petan-Dano
Matthias

Morrissey-Trouba
Daley-Buff
Poiliot-Myers
Chiarot, Poolman/McIlrath

Hellebuyck
Halak

We add guys who have won, have the experience and leadership to get us to win, because all the young talent will go to waste without the right role players to insulate them

Old
03-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Toby may be declining, but we can do better than Helm and McIlrath.

Old
03-10-2017, 12:03 AM
paul-laus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It's not like he hasn't done it before. Wellwood, Frolik, Perreault, even the meh acquisitions like Jokinen and Clitsome filled a need to some extent.

Somewhat troubling that the most notable acquisition since the Kane deal has been Marko Dano. There are major holes that still need to be filled, and it's not as though we needed some big splash UFA signing to fill them. How hard is it to find someone better than Stuart or Chiarot? A quality NHL netminder was available on waivers in December. Also, we have the cap room to take on a short-term, pricy contract (eg. Halak) for a player that can still provide some value.
No offence but I didn't consider Clitsome a "legitimate" NHL defender when the jets acquired him and still don't after he's retired. Nor do I consider Howden or Brian Strait legitimate and regular NHL players. They are waiver claim and consistent healthy scratch worthy and consistent AHLers-all three of them. I emphasized the word "legitimate" to differentiate the difference between the classic fringe player and waiver claim guy that Jets fans are painfully use to versus acquisitions like Elliott and Brouwer in Calgary, Lucic and Russell in Edmonton, and players like Burrows and Stalberg that Ottawa has brought in albeit clearly attracted to a likely playoff run. If Chevy was content moving forward with Matthias as his only signee....I guess the end result shouldn't be too shocking...12 points in an injury riddled season...

Old
03-10-2017, 12:09 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-laus View Post
No offence but I didn't consider Clitsome a "legitimate" NHL defender when the jets acquired him and still don't after he's retired. Nor do I consider Howden or Brian Strait legitimate and regular NHL players. They are waiver claim and consistent healthy scratch worthy and consistent AHLers-all three of them. I emphasized the word "legitimate" to differentiate the difference between the classic fringe player and waiver claim guy that Jets fans are painfully use to versus acquisitions like Elliott and Brouwer in Calgary, Lucic and Russell in Edmonton, and players like Burrows and Stalberg that Ottawa has brought in albeit clearly attracted to a likely playoff run. If Chevy was content moving forward with Matthias as his only signee....I guess the end result shouldn't be too shocking...12 points in an injury riddled season...
None taken.

Clitsome doesn't belong in the same sentence as Strait or Howden, so unsure why you're bringing any of them up here. I wasn't even talking about "fringe NHLers".

Old
03-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I agree that Chevy built up what we inherited, unquestionably. Just think where this team would have been if Dudley(?) had not acquired Buff for nothing, and Wheeler (and Stu) for Peverley.

I think Connor showed within the first two weeks he did not belong. We kept him here though.

Perreault was an epic failure at centre, while Copp and Petan were in the minors.. Chiarot-Postma were brutal to start, i think Postma has picked up his game with some confidence. Benny is at best a good PT player. Goalies could not win big games.
Started off on the wrong foot, treading water. Never addressed a single issue.

I think we wanted to be Pittsburgh after watching the Pens dominate. In my opinion we should have emulated San Jose, and especially Chicago, who has shown the managerial wherewithal to sell assets when high, to keep the core evolving.

I posted a different lineup earlier, but this is what I would like to see in the offseason.

Bring in winners.

I am ok with losing Perreault in the expansion draft. He has been critical of the leadership here, without leading that much. He also seemed the most keen about Vegas when interviewed

The interesting thing with the Thrashers is when Waddel was the GM they essentially initiated a rebuild starting in 2008. Trading Hossa and Dupuis for futures. Then Kovalchuk for a 1st, 2nd, Oduya, Cormier and Burgfors. So again more futures. Then Lehtnonen for Vishnevskiy (futures). In that time Waddel drafted Kane and Bogo. Then Waddel was fired and that is when Dudley took over. Trading a slew of futures for a package that contained Buff and Sopel. Traded Vishnesvkiy and a 2nd for Ladd then acquired Wheeler, Stuart and Dvorak before the Thrashers moved.

So what we have is a GM that was initiating a rebuild who was subsequently fired about 2.5 seasons in to that rebuild and that is when Dudley took over and he essentially began to sell off futures and assets to acquire roster players. He made some pretty risky moves but did so to try and take a shortcut. Had he not moved all of those futures for older players the Jets likely inherit a team with a bit more prospects and picks and less guys like Buff, Wheeler and Ladd. This may have prompted them to go full rebuild rather than attempt to compete. Depending on how you look at it Dudley was either a good thing for us or a bad thing for us. He essentially traded away a first and two 2nd's from the 2010 draft. A draft where he already had 9 other picks and only managed to get Burmistrov out of. Now Dudley did acquire quite a few draft picks as well, mostly late picks. But he was definitely trying the old "Leafs Rebuild" and trading futures for established players which gutted the prospect pool which wasn't really stocked at all from some terrrrible drafting.

The Jets are leaps and bounds ahead of where the Thrashers were taking us. They just put this team in a **** position of having to draft and develop with no real way of attracting FA's short of massively overpaying and no real way of acquiring anymore good core players short of selling off more prospects and picks. Which is no way to build a team IMO. It never works. The Leafs are living proof of that failed scheme over and over again.

Old
03-10-2017, 12:50 AM
kelsier

I have to admit I haven't been paying any attention whatsoever to Jets prior to drafting Laine. Based on geographical location (not the warmest place on earth?) as well as small market, I would assume getting free agents would be difficult?

What's the ownership like, are they willing to throw in the dollars as opposed to being conservative with spending money? Also (another thing I haven't looked into) will there be any netminders on the market that the team could possibly sign for the next year? The goalkeeping situation along with the coaching staff are the two biggest concerns that need to be addressed going into the 2018-19. With Hellebuyck being the starting goalie the team would shuffle through the mud once again. Don't think a year will make enough difference with his development (if he has NHL potential at all). Maurice needs to find the emergency exit door. Hopefully there are potential candidates to replace him.

I would hope that the emerging of Laine would make the Jets more desirable place to sign in the future. Having Scheifele locked up long term is a huge plus as well. We've seen the effect of what a couple of high draftees who have proven worthy can do to a team. Just look at Florida and where they were before drafting Barkov and Ekblad and how they were able to basically re-new almost the entire blue line last summer without losing any assets (seems they willingly gave up Gudbranson and Kulikov). Of course Florida with their climate and low tax rate makes them pretty fantastic place to be and we cannot assume that having a nice core of young players automatically fixes everything, but that certainly doesn't hurt either.

Old
03-10-2017, 01:16 AM
paul-laus

Quote:
None taken.

Clitsome doesn't belong in the same sentence as Strait or Howden, so unsure why you're bringing any of them up here. I wasn't even talking about "fringe NHLers".
I brought up Clitsome because you brought him up. You tried to use him as evidence that Chevy has made acquisitions in the past that served an organizational need. And I think he would have served a need better with the Fayetteville FireAntz of the Southern Professional Hockey League. It gives more credence to the fact that Chevy continually makes moves for players that most teams wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole....

Old
03-10-2017, 06:40 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
The interesting thing with the Thrashers is when Waddel was the GM they essentially initiated a rebuild starting in 2008. Trading Hossa and Dupuis for futures. Then Kovalchuk for a 1st, 2nd, Oduya, Cormier and Burgfors. So again more futures. Then Lehtnonen for Vishnevskiy (futures). In that time Waddel drafted Kane and Bogo. Then Waddel was fired and that is when Dudley took over. Trading a slew of futures for a package that contained Buff and Sopel. Traded Vishnesvkiy and a 2nd for Ladd then acquired Wheeler, Stuart and Dvorak before the Thrashers moved.

So what we have is a GM that was initiating a rebuild who was subsequently fired about 2.5 seasons in to that rebuild and that is when Dudley took over and he essentially began to sell off futures and assets to acquire roster players. He made some pretty risky moves but did so to try and take a shortcut. Had he not moved all of those futures for older players the Jets likely inherit a team with a bit more prospects and picks and less guys like Buff, Wheeler and Ladd. This may have prompted them to go full rebuild rather than attempt to compete. Depending on how you look at it Dudley was either a good thing for us or a bad thing for us. He essentially traded away a first and two 2nd's from the 2010 draft. A draft where he already had 9 other picks and only managed to get Burmistrov out of. Now Dudley did acquire quite a few draft picks as well, mostly late picks. But he was definitely trying the old "Leafs Rebuild" and trading futures for established players which gutted the prospect pool which wasn't really stocked at all from some terrrrible drafting.

The Jets are leaps and bounds ahead of where the Thrashers were taking us. They just put this team in a **** position of having to draft and develop with no real way of attracting FA's short of massively overpaying and no real way of acquiring anymore good core players short of selling off more prospects and picks. Which is no way to build a team IMO. It never works. The Leafs are living proof of that failed scheme over and over again.
This is a great post. Thanks for the history lesson. Without bothering to do the research I always kind of wondered why a team that was bad for so long wasn't able to have a single prospect with a s*** in the cupboard when we inherited the team. Missing 3 high picks in a row with Bogo, Kane and Burmi didn't do us much good either.

Old
03-10-2017, 07:01 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
I have to admit I haven't been paying any attention whatsoever to Jets prior to drafting Laine. Based on geographical location (not the warmest place on earth?) as well as small market, I would assume getting free agents would be difficult?

What's the ownership like, are they willing to throw in the dollars as opposed to being conservative with spending money? Also (another thing I haven't looked into) will there be any netminders on the market that the team could possibly sign for the next year? The goalkeeping situation along with the coaching staff are the two biggest concerns that need to be addressed going into the 2018-19. With Hellebuyck being the starting goalie the team would shuffle through the mud once again. Don't think a year will make enough difference with his development (if he has NHL potential at all). Maurice needs to find the emergency exit door. Hopefully there are potential candidates to replace him.

I would hope that the emerging of Laine would make the Jets more desirable place to sign in the future. Having Scheifele locked up long term is a huge plus as well. We've seen the effect of what a couple of high draftees who have proven worthy can do to a team. Just look at Florida and where they were before drafting Barkov and Ekblad and how they were able to basically re-new almost the entire blue line last summer without losing any assets (seems they willingly gave up Gudbranson and Kulikov). Of course Florida with their climate and low tax rate makes them pretty fantastic place to be and we cannot assume that having a nice core of young players automatically fixes everything, but that certainly doesn't hurt either.
Ownership and management have always said they would spend once the team was ready to contend. The have also been adamant that they would do what was required to keep their own. Both Chipman and Chevy have talked about managing the cap so they have the resources necessary to resign their own players coming off ELC's. As of now the only top young player they have signed long term is Scheifele. They need to resign Trouba after his bridge or trade him for a similar d-man likely at a similar cap hit. I think they can probably get Ehlers and Morrissey at reasonable long term numbers around the $ 5 M range. I'm a little worried this scoring machine 18 y/o Finnish kid will cost a boat load to sign long term, but well worth the money .

TNSE will have mapped out long term and accounted for these costs. Coming off the books soon will be Toby, maybe Myers if we only protect 3 D in the XD. Hopefully there is enough to get a proven goalie and sign a decent LHD with some left on him. But unless there is some big jumps in the cap the Jets will be mostly managing to hold onto their young core.

Old
03-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
2016-17
Hellebuyck .908
Hutchinson .893
Pavelec .888

Even Fasth or Scrivens would have made a big improvement imo.....and they're still available cheap and free

Old
03-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Jetfaninflorida
Southernmost Jet Fan

I don't know what his next move is. I hope he will finally address our goaltending and D issues. I am still stinging from other Chevy masterpiece decisions like signing Stafford over Frolik. He dickers over $250k for Fro losing him to Calgary, then overpays Stafford , having to give him away for a late, late pick two years later. 5th round pick has single digit probability that they will play 2 seasons in the NHL. Meanwhile Fro is killing it in Calgary, a huge part of their success. Continuing what he brought to us in the Peg.

Anyway, at this point in time I believe that all of the public pressure on Chevy to actually do something will mean that he will actually do something this summer. Hockey people are starting to tune in to what is happening in Winnipeg. How can such a talented roster result in a team that is so bad. Glaring, obvious issues that have gone unresolved for so many years by the GM.

Old
03-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfaninflorida View Post
I don't know what his next move is. I hope he will finally address our goaltending and D issues. I am still stinging from other Chevy masterpiece decisions like signing Stafford over Frolik. He dickers over $250k for Fro losing him to Calgary, then overpays Stafford , having to give him away for a late, late pick two years later. 5th round pick has single digit probability that they will play 2 seasons in the NHL. Meanwhile Fro is killing it in Calgary, a huge part of their success. Continuing what he brought to us in the Peg.

Anyway, at this point in time I believe that all of the public pressure on Chevy to actually do something will mean that he will actually do something this summer. Hockey people are starting to tune in to what is happening in Winnipeg. How can such a talented roster result in a team that is so bad. Glaring, obvious issues that have gone unresolved for so many years by the GM.

Thats one way to look at it. The other way again is that you had a guy who was never going to sign back here and dithered over 250k.

Funny how earlier in the year no one would post this and Frolik was playing just fine then but his team wasn't

Anyways

As much as people will hate this I will say I think for the most part what they decided to do this year was hand the reigns over to the younger guys and for the most part it paid off and it will pay off as we go forward.

This is a young team and wins when its young players are playing well. Some tweaks need to be made but nothing major.

- Get a solid vet backup for Helly
- Figure out what you are going to do with Myers
- Get a solid LH D in Free agency to play with Buff.

As much as people here would hate this I can see them resigning Thorburn. But it should mean he sits in the PB 90 percent of the time and is willing to go down to the Moose every so often.

I don't think there is a need to fire PoMo yet. But I probably have him on a short leash next year.

Call me crazy but I like the looks of the team for the most part. They can put the puck into the net, they need to put together more solid 200 foot games,they need longer stretches of consistent goaltending and they need the refs to give them some more respect.

Old
03-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Thats one way to look at it. The other way again is that you had a guy who was never going to sign back here and dithered over 250k.

Funny how earlier in the year no one would post this and Frolik was playing just fine then but his team wasn't

Anyways

As much as people will hate this I will say I think for the most part what they decided to do this year was hand the reigns over to the younger guys and for the most part it paid off and it will pay off as we go forward.

This is a young team and wins when its young players are playing well. Some tweaks need to be made but nothing major.

As much as people here would hate this I can see them resigning Thorburn. But it should mean he sits in the PB 90 percent of the time and is willing to go down to the Moose every so often.

I don't think there is a need to fire PoMo yet. But I probably have him on a short leash next year.

Call me crazy but I like the looks of the team for the most part. They can put the puck into the net, they need to put together more solid 200 foot games,they need longer stretches of consistent goaltending and they need the refs to give them some more respect.
I mostly agree with this

Goaltending and defense are my top priorities for Chevy in the off season. Our forwards can certainly score, we just can't keep the puck out of our own net.

I consider special teams to be more of a coaching issue.

Old
03-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
This is a great post. Thanks for the history lesson. Without bothering to do the research I always kind of wondered why a team that was bad for so long wasn't able to have a single prospect with a s*** in the cupboard when we inherited the team. Missing 3 high picks in a row with Bogo, Kane and Burmi didn't do us much good either.
This is a key point. Imagine this franchise with a core that included:

2008 Pietrangelo
2009 OEL
2010 Tarasenko

Whatever else Chevy and the Jets have done, they've nailed their first round picks.

Old
03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Whileee

Quote:

Anyways

I like this post. I think it's bang on with respect to where the Jets are and what they should do next.

I know that this board will go ape-crazy if the Jets re-sign Thorbs, but they have already shown that they are happy to play him in a marginal role. If the Pens can have Sestito in their system, it's not going to be the death-knell of the Jets to have Thorbs somewhere in the system. The problem hasn't been Thorbs per se, but a lack of depth that meant that they had to play Thorbs too much. I think that depth problem is melting away quite rapidly now.

Old
03-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Guerzy
copycat poseur

vCash: 69
Quote:

Great post Daximus!

Quote:

Anyways

Agree on a lot of points here, Joe. Funny, the other night vs. Pittsburgh that very thought crossed my mind re; Thorburn. If we re-signed him I wouldn't be at all surprised. Although I'm not sure I see a fit or room for him. We will lose a forward to the XD, but we will also likely see Connor and Roslovic on the team. Interesting to think about. At the end of the day though, if Thorburn is here in a minimal role, who cares. If him being here is truly enough to sink this team (it isn't, in my opinion) then we've got some big issues and it isn't Thor.

I think so long as Chevy fills some holes in the offseason, everything from next season onward will fall on coaching, and the players, of course. I don't want to hear any more about development after this year. Hellebuyck and Scheifele, Lowry, Armia will be 25 next year, Trouba and Copp 24, Morrissey, Petan, Dano 23, Ehlers 22, Laine 20, etc. With vets Wheeler 31, Little 30, Perreault 30, Byfuglien, Enstrom 33, Myers 28, etc. I see no reason why this group cannot take the next step next season. They have to, in my opinion. Even if you include rookies Connor and Roslovic 21. There is enough experience and talent on this roster that things should take off and not be held back by youth. If a certain player or two aren't working out or pulling their weight, Chevy needs to begin addressing those sort of issues ASAP be it goaltending or defence so that it doesn't become an anchor for the team. It's his job and he will have to be a lot more proactive in addressing areas that aren't efficient, in my opinion.

I think the necessary players will be in place heading into next season. So if we fall off the track again, for me it's on 1. Maurice 2. Chevy, with of course the players being held 100% responsible, too. All in all, expectations should be high for this organization next season. I don't want to hear any excuses and if I do it's gonna **** me off .

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old
03-10-2017, 09:20 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Great post Daximus!

Agree on a lot of points here, Joe. Funny, the other night vs. Pittsburgh that very thought crossed my mind re; Thorburn. If we re-signed him I wouldn't be at all surprised. Although I'm not sure I see a fit or room for him. We will lose a forward to the XD, but we will also likely see Connor and Roslovic on the team. Interesting to think about. At the end of the day though, if Thorburn is here in a minimal role, who cares. If him being here is truly enough to sink this team (it isn't, in my opinion) then we've got some big issues and it isn't Thor.

I think so long as Chevy fills some holes in the offseason, everything from next season onward will fall on coaching, and the players, of course. I don't want to hear any more about development after this year. Hellebuyck and Scheifele, Lowry, Armia will be 25 next year, Trouba and Copp 24, Morrissey, Petan, Dano 23, Ehlers 22, Laine 20, etc. With vets Wheeler 31, Little 30, Perreault 30, Byfuglien, Enstrom 33, Myers 28, etc. I see no reason why this group cannot take the next step next season. They have to, in my opinion. Even if you include rookies Connor and Roslovic 21. There is enough experience and talent on this roster that things should take off and not be held back by youth. If a certain player or two aren't working out or pulling their weight, Chevy needs to begin addressing those sort of issues ASAP be it goaltending or defence so that it doesn't become an anchor for the team. It's his job and he will have to be a lot more proactive in addressing areas that aren't efficient, in my opinion.

So, I think the necessary players will be in place heading into next season. So if we fall off the track again, for me it's on 1. Maurice 2. Chevy, with of course the players being held 100% responsible, too. All in all, expectations should be high for this organization next season. I don't want to hear any excuses and if I do it's gonna **** me off .
Yeah I think we are at the point where the kids should have enough experience.

There are two main things that Chevy must address this offseason. He needs to acquire a good young top 4 LD to replace Toby and he needs to get a 1B goalie to push/support/supplant Helle. Some other things that would be nice to haves but not critical are a good 4th line PK forward and a solid bottom pairing dmen. The later may come from Poolman or using Toby or Myers in that role.

Old
03-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Please don't re-sign Thorburn. Just...don't.

If you want someone around to crash and bang, maybe drop the gloves once in awhile, target someone like Boyle, Winnik or Garbutt in free agency. I'm sure Thorburn is a great guy and teammates love having him around, but he doesn't help us win hockey games.

Old
03-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Guerzy
copycat poseur

vCash: 69
Quote:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Please don't re-sign Thorburn. Just...don't.

If you want someone around to crash and bang, maybe drop the gloves once in awhile, target someone like Boyle, Winnik or Garbutt in free agency. I'm sure Thorburn is a great guy and teammates love having him around, but he doesn't help us win hockey games.
Totally agree with this. I just think the thought process from Chevy and co, as well as many teams still around the league, wouldn't hesitate to have Thorburn as an extra forward.

I don't want Thorburn back, but I'm expecting him back.

Old
03-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Howard Chuck

Not to speak for anyone else, but it seems like the underlying message from most of us is that we have higher expectations for next season. That there is enough talent on the team (with a few changes) to actually make a splash next season.

I for one will be expecting much more success next year and will be very upset if the small, logical adjustments aren't made to allow us that success.

Old
03-10-2017, 09:46 AM
KCjetsfan

Quote:

I fully expect thor to be resigned. many (not me!) thought he'd be pressbox fodder this year though - i would still expect him to be in 50% of the games next year. I'd probably be torn on whether to be mad at chevy if this happens or maurice... maurice ultimately decides usage, but why even tempt him chevy?

Closed Thread