HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unrestricted Defensemen this off season

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Medicine Twin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Not really. This off-season, when we missed out on guys like Zubov and Hamrlik, I was disappointed. My expectations have lowered a lot since then. Now I'd be shocked and elated if we got a high-profile D. In fact, I'd be surprised if our defense on opening night, 2007-2008 was anything other than Markov-Rivet-Dandenault-Bouillon-Souray-Komisarek.
Well, I'd be dissappointed if we failed to land any D help at all, even before the deadline if possible. But for most of the posters here who think we'll be able to land the Reddens, Charas, Jovos or a combination of top D-men, they're dreamin'.

Old
02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Quiet Robert

Any one of those no.1 guys is a necessity imo. Getting a guy to anchor our defence should be our top priority this offseason. And looking at that list there are a lot of good names.

Norstrom: I'd love to see him here and could maybe be had cheaply given his age. Although my guess is he signs with LA and finishes his career there.

Jovo and McCabe
: I want no part in these guys. Turn over machines with zero concept of defensive zone coverage. Jovo used to be a machine but this year he's looked average at best and I'd hate to see us throw 4.5-5 mil his way. McCabe is great offensively but worse defensively, so no interest there.

Mitchell: Not a big top flight guy, but he could be a solid defensive guy for us. Could also be had cheaper than the bigger names if he decides to leave Min.

D. Markov: I'd like to see this guy with the Habs. A nice well rounded dman who can play gritty and put up the points. He'd be a nice addition. Realistically, if he doesn't stay with Nas I think this is a guy we could have a chance at getting. Given the young guys coming up, Nashville may feel they need to make room, in which case I'd love to see Markov here.
-Also, is Timonen UFA? He would be huge here. Not a physical presence, but great offensively and responsible defensively.

Redden
: I think the Sens will only be able to sign one of Redden/Chara and my feeling is Chara will be their pick. If this is the case, I would love for BG to make a strong push for Redden. He is an amazing defenseman and excels in most aspects of the position. He would instantly boost the look of our d corps. Although the chances of us landing him wouldn't be too high imo.

Old
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
UFA'S D i would consider or somewhat interesting that arent in your list :

Derek Morris
Mattias Norstrom
Philippe Boucher
Ruslan Salei
Keith Carney
Ed Jovanovski

Andrei Zyuzin
Willie Mitchell
Rob Blake
Danny Markov
Niklas Lidstrom
Brendan Witt
Pavel Kubina
Kim Johnsson

Tom Poti
Jay McKee
Brian Leetch

Complete list of UFA's : http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=197710
I would try to get one of those 3 :
Pavel Kubina (size: 6'5, 29yrs, atoi: 23:02) around 10goal and 20p every years.
Kim Johnsson (size: 6'1, 30yrs, atoi: 23:17) around 10goal and 30p every years.
Philippe Boucher (size : 6'3, 33yrs, atoi: 24:08) around 10g and 20p every years... except this year hes on parse for the double!!

Kubina, Boucher, Redden, Chara would be sooo nice but I think they will get some huge contract.

Edit: Added Redden and Chara... lets dream

Last edited by Weis: 02-07-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old
02-07-2006, 04:36 PM
JF

Perhaps I was only dreaming, but I remember someone from management saying last summer that they were more interested in the 2006 offseason to make big signings. Am I the only one who remembers this? (But it could also be just my imagination, or the result of an excess of alcohol over the years...)

I'm counting very much on this offseason to ameliorate our situation on defense. If we could sign one or two of these defensemen, we would be a very different team who could do some damage.

Old
02-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis
I would try to get one of those 3 :
Pavel Kubina (size: 6'5, 29yrs, atoi: 23:02) around 10goal and 20p every years.
Kim Johnsson (size: 6'1, 30yrs, atoi: 23:17) around 10goal and 30p every years.
Philippe Boucher (size : 6'3, 33yrs, atoi: 24:08) around 10g and 20p every years... except this year hes on parse for the double!!

Kubina and Boucher would be sooo nice but I think they will get some huge contract.
Good call on Kubina. I think he may be flying under the radar amongst fans, but he'll probably get big money this summer.

Old
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Please, please, please, please, please. NO! If theres one guy I hope we never come across, its Gauthier. We already have Bouillon and Dandenault, we have had Brisebois, Traverse and Quintal. Do we really have to stockpile all the worst french defensemen in the league? Gauthier, is a tiny notch above Traverse, ugh... Theres a guy named Philippe Boucher, extremely underrated, very rounded defensemen and he doesnt cost a lot. If you want a home boy, he's the best choice. Rugged as well.
i've seen gauthier play a lot... he's far from being just above traverse... a solid dman. we'd need more of them.

Old
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Please, please, please, please, please. NO! If theres one guy I hope we never come across, its Gauthier. We already have Bouillon and Dandenault, we have had Brisebois, Traverse and Quintal. Do we really have to stockpile all the worst french defensemen in the league? Gauthier, is a tiny notch above Traverse, ugh... Theres a guy named Philippe Boucher, extremely underrated, very rounded defensemen and he doesnt cost a lot. If you want a home boy, he's the best choice. Rugged as well.
I think Philippe Boucher gonna cost alot after this year. I think he's playing with Zubov (help to get some good stats) but he still have some really nice stats :
41 game 12 goal 18 p 30 pts, atoi 24:08, +22

Old
02-07-2006, 05:48 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Which UFA defensemen should we pursue this summer?
Gauthier - would make a good, tough #6 defenseman in Montreal.
Bob should go after Gauthier, but right now !!
If Denis really ufa at the end of the season, he would'nt cost alot... mayde a third or fourth rounder !! and there's a good chance that we'll be able to ressign him !!

Tought ??

Old
02-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Again...you guys are getting way too excited and building up expectations to the point where you will be dissapointed by July 15th when no one wants to sign here for all the reasons we heard last summer. (the ever present media, high taxes, not a cup contender, etc) and we won't even have huge amounts of cap space available as of now. I'll eat a hat if Redden signs with the Habs.

Old
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Again...you guys are getting way too excited and building up expectations to the point where you will be dissapointed by July 15th when no one wants to sign here for all the reasons we heard last summer. (the ever present media, high taxes, not a cup contender, etc) and we won't even have huge amounts of cap space available as of now. I'll eat a hat if Redden signs with the Habs.
You're probably right, no major signings will occur.
Once again, a marquee player will pick another town to play in, given the same $...

Old
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
I donno Marc, I really think a guy in Markov's range or a legit top 4 guy like Mitchell could be realistic. I think the Jovo/McCabe/Redden is out of of the question, but maybe we'll sneak in and land Kubina or someone. I just think Gainey will realize we absolutely need to adress defence this offseason and pick up an impact player.

I'm not sure about Nashville's situation, but it seems that with all their young guys coming up they might get rid of Markov this offseason in favour of someone more physical. I do think that as impressive as their D is, they could use a big bruising guy back there.

Old
02-07-2006, 10:52 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Danny Markov please... although we do need right handed dmen!

Old
02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
BTW Denis Gauthier does not speak french...

as for the Ds I would love having Chara in a habs jersey... even if the chances are very low... I just hope that we sign something better than Dandenault...
What are you talking about... Denis Gauthier speeks perfect french. I listen to him in many interviews he gave...specialy early in the year when he cleanly hit Roenick in the pre-season. I would try to snag Gauthier during the season if Pheonix fall out of the play off. Dump Souray somwhere else and make the best possible offer to Chara. Chara is by far the best guy on the list... above Redden IMO.

But I would be happy with any of these: Kubina, Boucher, Redden, Morris and even Jovo.

Old
02-08-2006, 08:20 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Danny Markov
Phillipe Boucher
Derrek Morris
Jay Mckee

I think the above are realistic but I would love to see Redden in a Habs uniform.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Gauthier would be good because he is a local, cheap and can be used as a tough guy in a pinch.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

On signing big name free agent defensemen; Did anybody notice how all of last year big names have fallen flat this year? Defensemen like Gonchar, Aucoin, Leetch, Foote.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Habs are interested in Kuba , Jackman and....

http://***********.com/rumours.html

Old
02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Any one of those no.1 guys is a necessity imo. Getting a guy to anchor our defence should be our top priority this offseason. And looking at that list there are a lot of good names.

Norstrom: I'd love to see him here and could maybe be had cheaply given his age. Although my guess is he signs with LA and finishes his career there.

Jovo and McCabe
: I want no part in these guys. Turn over machines with zero concept of defensive zone coverage. Jovo used to be a machine but this year he's looked average at best and I'd hate to see us throw 4.5-5 mil his way. McCabe is great offensively but worse defensively, so no interest there.

Mitchell: Not a big top flight guy, but he could be a solid defensive guy for us. Could also be had cheaper than the bigger names if he decides to leave Min.

D. Markov: I'd like to see this guy with the Habs. A nice well rounded dman who can play gritty and put up the points. He'd be a nice addition. Realistically, if he doesn't stay with Nas I think this is a guy we could have a chance at getting. Given the young guys coming up, Nashville may feel they need to make room, in which case I'd love to see Markov here.
-Also, is Timonen UFA? He would be huge here. Not a physical presence, but great offensively and responsible defensively.

Redden
: I think the Sens will only be able to sign one of Redden/Chara and my feeling is Chara will be their pick. If this is the case, I would love for BG to make a strong push for Redden. He is an amazing defenseman and excels in most aspects of the position. He would instantly boost the look of our d corps. Although the chances of us landing him wouldn't be too high imo.

Dont underestimate Willie Mitchell. He plays against theo other team's best players and is effective. He can play 20-25 minutes on the D which would make him an ideal candidate to pair up with markov.

And since he seems to be flying under the radar, he might give you the best bang for your buck.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:40 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
UFA'S D i would consider or somewhat interesting that arent in your list :

Derek Morris
Mattias Norstrom
Philippe Boucher
Ruslan Salei
Keith Carney
Ed Jovanovski

Andrei Zyuzin
Willie Mitchell
Rob Blake
Danny Markov
Niklas Lidstrom
Brendan Witt
Pavel Kubina
Kim Johnsson

Tom Poti
Jay McKee
Brian Leetch

Complete list of UFA's : http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=197710
If I was gm my prioryties would be

Saku koivu
Patrick elias
marc savard
Jason Woolley (if youre looking for a cheap defencemen)
Denis Gauthier
Filip Kuba
Alyn McCauley
Kim Johnsson
Philippe Boucher

As a gm I would print a list of players that I would want to go after before the offseason starts. I most likely wont get all of them but if I got at least 3 of this list it would a good off season. 4 would be an awsome off season.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
grapeshine

With Gainey-Carbonneau running the show I expect a heavy emphasis on team Defence. For this approach to work we need players who are coach-able and willing to buy into the system. My guess is that just about all of our players meet the above description. We are, however, very limited when it comes to offensive creativity and skill, two attributes that aren't exactly coach-able. It would be nice to add a solid d-man or two via free agency, but I think we'd be better off trying to land someone who can improve our offensive output.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeshine
With Gainey-Carbonneau running the show I expect a heavy emphasis on team Defence. For this approach to work we need players who are coach-able and willing to buy into the system. My guess is that just about all of our players meet the above description. We are, however, very limited when it comes to offensive creativity and skill, two attributes that aren't exactly coach-able. It would be nice to add a solid d-man or two via free agency, but I think we'd be better off trying to land someone who can improve our offensive output.

''We are however very limited when it comes to offensive creativity and skill, two attributes that aren't exactly coachable.''

If you want a player like the one you describe and whos coachhable patrick elias would be youre best option. Elias comes from a winning franchise and I doud that coaches would off had any problems coaching him because elias is used alot overthere.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Mike The Wall

My wish list is to get Redden this guy is an amazing defense man and makes any team he is on that much better. That said I do not think we will land this guy.

I would love to have Kubina and Morris on our team these 2 guys would be great additions and have speed to burn.

Mitchell and Witt are dmen I am also willing to look at.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Habsaku

There are so many good defensemen available this summer that its gonna be like a end of the season wedding dress sale for the GMs. I would be very happy we go for the underrated ones like Norstrom, Mitchell, Boucher, Kubina, Carney and Markov, but my priority is any guy that can improve our defense. I wouldnt mind at all a complete seeing half of our squad go elsewhere.

Old
02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
ti-vite

If the cap moves up to 46M$, you can bet NYR, Tor, and others are going to put every penny on some of these big names. Don't know if Mtl will go to the max...

Quote:
Perhaps I was only dreaming, but I remember someone from management saying last summer that they were more interested in the 2006 offseason to make big signings. Am I the only one who remembers this?
I do, remember Bobs emotionless face on RDS like it was yesterday.

Old
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
I do, remember Bobs emotionless face on RDS like it was yesterday.
Do you want him to cry or something ?

Closed Thread