HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Observations XVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 09:33 AM
FossilFndr

vCash: 500
Like some of our posters tell their clients

"SEC Rule 156 requires mutual funds to tell investors not to base their expectations of future results on past performance"

The NHL should have similar advise. Not bad advise for those who expect Wilson to play like previous playoffs either.

Just saying that anything can happen in a seven game series. Not a guarantee that we'll beat Wild or Blackhawks in seven games, not saying it is a lost cause either.

Last edited by FossilFndr: 03-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old
03-20-2017, 09:46 AM
TitansVolsPreds615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Except for those 2 teams. Minnesota and Chicago. We have gone 1-4 against Chicago and 1-3 against Minnesota with one game left there. Our chances looks terrible no matter who we get.
Regular season has no bearing on playoffs.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Record against an opponent does not determine playoff fate. We are 2-0 against the Capitals- does that mean you think we beat them in a 7 game series???
I understand that, but I still think if nothing else it will cause head games for this young team.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:50 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
wait.... you don't mean that the teams play in front of a goalie can affect that goalies stats, do you??
Sure can. Which is why it's a shame that Rinne's stats are so bad, despite how well the team plays in front of him and how well they limit chances.

03-20-2017, 09:51 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

The Blues schedule the rest of the way out is absurdly easy, where ours is on the difficult side. I think that eventually they'll re-take the third spot in the central and we'll end up with the Sharks.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:09 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
The Blues schedule the rest of the way out is absurdly easy, where ours is on the difficult side. I think that eventually they'll re-take the third spot in the central and we'll end up with the Sharks.
They have already taken third place.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
They have already taken third place.
I mean on a permanent basis, in the end

Old
03-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Pred303

vCash: 50
i doubt we climb back into third as well and instead fight to just hold onto a playoff spot these last 11 games. but it's hockey, anything can and often does happen.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Preds33

Tonight's lines per practice Smith in, PA out. Thank you!

Old
03-20-2017, 10:52 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Tonight's lines per practice Smith in, PA out. Thank you!

This isn't altogether surprising. PAP has been virtually invisible since his debut.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Mortiest Morty

I'm not saying PAP has been at all good, but Smith has been given cupcake minutes and has 3 assists in his last 30 games, 4 goals in his last 60. No one should be happy to see Smith back in the lineup. Rather have Aberg, or pretty much anyone other than Smith honestly. He's been given enough of a chance this year, he deserves a permanent spot on the bench.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:02 AM
King Weber

Quote:
This isn't altogether surprising. PAP has been virtually invisible since his debut.
could have something to do with him mostly playing on his off wing and coming off an injury.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
I think I saw him on a goal celebration. That's about it.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:22 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
I'm not saying PAP has been at all good, but Smith has been given cupcake minutes and has 3 assists in his last 30 games, 4 goals in his last 60. No one should be happy to see Smith back in the lineup. Rather have Aberg, or pretty much anyone other than Smith honestly. He's been given enough of a chance this year, he deserves a permanent spot on the bench.
He and Lavy have a long relationship, going back to when Smith was on the US WC team right out of college, when we as Preds fans thought he was to be our scoring savior. I get the sense that he's one of PL's "guys" and has a long leash because of it.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
He and Lavy have a long relationship, going back to when Smith was on the US WC team right out of college, when we as Preds fans thought he was to be our scoring savior. I get the sense that he's one of PL's "guys" and has a long leash because of it.
I'm sure that's part of it. I honestly thought Laviolette's system was just about perfect for Smith, which makes his downward spiral all the more perplexing and alarming. I really can't understand it, but I'm ready to cut ties, I hope they pay Vegas to take him if possible.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Well folks, it "Magic Number" time again. We are sufficiently close enough to where we should always know what it's going to take to get in the playoffs. Right now our ...

MAGIC NUMBER = 17

Formula is:

Max points for Kings = 97 (75 pts + 11 games left therefore max 22 pts, so 75 + 22 = 97 points)
Preds have 81 points, so therefore they need 17 points to exceed the Kings max points (81 + 17 = 98 points)
The Kings would win the tiebreaker because they'd have a higher "ROW" if they overcame their current 6 point deficit and tied us so therefore we need to exceed their max points to clinch.

Starting tonight, the MAGIC NUMBER reduces whenever the Kings "don't" earn a point they could have earned OR when the Preds earn a point. So, for example, if the Preds win tonight, the MAGIC NUMBER is reduced by 2 points, down to 15. Then lets say the Kings lose in OT tonight against the Oilers and therefore miss the opportunity to get a point, the MAGIC NUMBER would reduce to 14. If the Kings lose outright, it would be down to 13. If they won, it would remain at 15.

Since the Kings are only team that has a realistic chance of bumping us, the MAGIC NUMBER is fairly simple to keep track of.

We'll start the countdown tonight and hope to take it from 17 to 13.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Arvidsson was an all-hustle, no results, easily knocked off his skates overager. He worked his butt off but got no results.

They kept playing him.

He scored an overtime playoff goal.

He is now on fire.

I have never been more wrong about a guy. This is one of my favorite players. We have to resign him. Hopefully we can sneak him in for more than his goals dictate.

Well done David Poile. This is your best forward drafted in quite some time.

03-20-2017, 10:45 PM
drwpreds

Kings lose again. They are on life support.

We have an 8 point lead with 10 games left.

Our worst 10 game stretch this year is 3-5-2. If we only do that much, then LA will still have to go 8-2-0 to tie us.

5-5 finish- they have to go 9-1

6-4 finish- they have to go 10-0.

Just keep winning and we don't have to worry about what they do.....

Old
03-20-2017, 10:47 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
We'll start the countdown tonight and hope to take it from 17 to 13.
Mission accomplished!!

Old
03-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Arvidsson was an all-hustle, no results, easily knocked off his skates overager. He worked his butt off but got no results.

They kept playing him.

He is now on fire.

I have never been more wrong about a guy. This is one of my favorite players. We have to resign him. Hopefully we can sneak him in for more than his goals dictate.

100% with you on this

Old
03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

They kept playing him.

He is now on fire.

I believed in his potential based simply on the way he had dominated at every level he had played at...not just junior either, but the Swedish Elite League and the AHL. When success follows you like that, I believe there's something there. I toot my own horn a lot on Arvy because I predicted he would break 20 goals this year, last summer...but even I didn't expect him to flirt with 30.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Pred303

a much needed win thanks to ellis, arvidsson, smith, wilson, and rinne.

..shame wilson didn't get a point on either of the first two goals, especially that first one because he flat out made the play that caused the goal.
..great cut to the middle and shot by wilson there
..love how arvidsson always heads hard to the far post on any shot by anyone else. that's the way it's supposed to be done
..ellis. he has a deadly shot.
..all the talk about josi's numbers not being as good as last year and he's scoring .70 per game compared to last year's .75. those missed games are the only reason he won't put up 60 again.
..don't know if i have ever seen anyone that has a good shot as snakebit as smith is. if there is a great save in any game against us, it will be on a shot smith takes.
..they weren't really great assists, but he made good hockey plays on both of them.

a huge swing to the good with these two points and the kings loss. doesn't mean we are in yet by any means, but it certainly moves us closer.

Old
03-21-2017, 09:57 AM
MrJoshua

I thought Wilson was the perfect example of how someone can have a really strong game yet not get any points. That move to the middle of the ice and shot to cause the rebound was a great play, and exactly the kind of play that I keep wanting to see out of him on a more consistent basis. Maybe he's ramping up for the playoffs.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Fiala-Jarnkrok-Neal line. I thought they had a couple of good chances, and that Fiala looked much stronger on the puck and a lot more confident out there. He looks like he's moving his feet better and that's going to be the key to his game.

I think we have a pretty solid top 9 right now, with PAP ready to slide into position if anyone falters. Good depth. Now we need the top line to keep playing well and be a consistent threat every shift. I have to say, though, that there was one shift last night where we had the fourth line and third defensive pair out as a unit and I was just waiting for a goal against. It didn't happen, but I don't have a lot of confidence in any of those guys right now.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Certainly not singing the praises of Smith, but he did a heck of a lot more that was useful last night than PAP has done in any of his appearances.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:12 AM
drwpreds

Came across this interesting note regarding goal differential:

All 16 current playoff teams have a positive goal differential, and all 14 teams out of the playoffs have a negative one.

Predators sitting at +10 right now.

Goal differential always a good way to judge teams and this year is a perfect example.

Closed Thread