HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Observations XVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2017, 12:26 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Difference is that it'll be San Jose instead of Anaheim this time. Not good for the Preds.
I am not crazy about facing them, but bottom line is we are going to have to face either Chicago, Minnesota or San Jose.

Pick your poison........

Old
03-14-2017, 01:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Last time the Preds played SJS they won 3-1. In SJ. The other time the Preds played the Sharks was the beginning of the season and it was a loss at home.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Last time the Preds played SJS they won 3-1. In SJ. The other time the Preds played the Sharks was the beginning of the season and it was a loss at home.
They've never won a playoff game in San Jose and the Sharks would have home ice. They outplayed them in the regular season last year I'm pretty sure, and the Sharks had a poor home record in the reg season last year...

Old
03-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
They've never won a playoff game in San Jose and the Sharks would have home ice. They outplayed them in the regular season last year as well I believe, and the Sharks had a poor home record in the reg season last year...
While that's true, that series was just weird. On the flip side you could say SJ couldn't win here either. Whatever the case, I don't want to be stuck with the Pacific teams again. Has nothing to do with start times, individual teams, etc, it's all about travel.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:23 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I am not crazy about facing them, but bottom line is we are going to have to face either Chicago, Minnesota or San Jose.

Pick your poison........
Three teams I would LOVE to watch Nashville beat. And would also hate to watch them lose to (...again, for two of those teams).

You're right, though. There are no easy match-ups. Whoever they play, it's going to be one heck of a series.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:30 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
They've never won a playoff game in San Jose and the Sharks would have home ice. They outplayed them in the regular season last year I'm pretty sure, and the Sharks had a poor home record in the reg season last year...

And based on this season's records, give me the Pacific. Preds records this year.

SJS 1W1L 50%
CGY 1W1L 50%
ANA 1W2L 33%
EDM 3W0L 100%

CHI 1W4L 20%
MIN 1W3L 25%
STL 3W1L 75%

The only Central team that Nashville does well with is STL and Nashville will only see them if they both make the WCF. You may complain about the late nights but Nashville can win vs the Pacific. Chicago owns NSH. MIN owns NSH. #1 and #2 NSH can win. NSH has one more game with SJS and CGY. If WC 1 is open, I want it if I'm the Preds.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

I want Chicago the most. Then the Wild. Then the Sharks.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:39 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
And based on this season's records, give me the Pacific. Preds records this year.

SJS 1W1L 50%
CGY 1W1L 50%
ANA 1W2L 33%
EDM 3W0L 100%

CHI 1W4L 20%
MIN 1W3L 25%
STL 3W1L 75%

The only Central team that Nashville does well with is STL and Nashville will only see them if they both make the WCF. You may complain about the late nights but Nashville can win vs the Pacific. Chicago owns NSH. MIN owns NSH. #1 and #2 NSH can win. NSH has one more game with SJS and CGY. If WC 1 is open, I want it if I'm the Preds.
I want in, period. Forget easiest path, I just want a path.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
I want in, period. Forget easiest path, I just want a path.
Ditto, but then comes the path after the season after the playoffs. Give me Sharks then Flames, Let the central kill itself in the divisional round.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would rather him win that faceoff and clear the puck and burn 20 seconds of PK time than lose it, spend a minute chasing in the zone and giving up a PP goal. Seems a fair trade there. You just don't play him at ES.
Except that's not what will happen. He may win the faceoff but gets stuck in his end after turning it over as he can't hold on to the puck and in turn can't go off for a change. This is worse on the PK than even strength.

The only player I can think of that was worse than him wearing a Preds jersey in the last few years is Olli Jokinen.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:04 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
We have not played SJ at home this year- both games were in SJ

Old
03-14-2017, 02:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
We have not played SJ at home this year- both games were in SJ
I said the next game will be in Nashville. Nashville has been playing a 3 game cycle with Pacific teams.

You are correct the first game was in SJ as was the second. The third is in Nashville, the team has hotel packages and home tickets for sale.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
drwpreds

A few notes/stats:

We are now #9 in the league in offense- averaging 2.94 goals per game

That is the good news- the bad news is our defensive numbers continue to sink- we are now #17 in the league in goals allowed. That is pretty ridiculous for a team with as good a D corps as we have.

In our last 22 games, we are allowing a whopping 3.32 goals per game.

Our offense is really rolling at home- in the past 9 home games, we are averaging 4.44 goals per game and have scored 4 or more goals in 8 of the last 9 home games. (Scored 3 in the other one)

On the flip side, our defense at home has been terrible- in those same 9 home games, we have allowed 35 goals (3.88 per game). We have allowed 3 or more goals in 6 of the last 9 home games.

There is a huge difference in our offense at home and on the road- at home, we are averaging 3.23 goals per game and have a +21 goal differential. On the road we average 2.65 goals per game and have a -10 goal differential.

We have scored 5 or more goals 16 times this year- almost 25% of our games. Last year we only did that 14 times the entire season.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:15 PM
WartracePred

Quote:

Pick your poison........
Any of three will take a monumental effort to beat this season. The first 2 periods of the last San Jose game reminded me why I don't want that matchup. Their puck possession is so frustrating to watch. Minny has seemed to dominate the Preds this season too. I guess Chicago is my choice. I feel the same way about the Hawks as I did when we faced the Red Wings several years during the playoffs. Just felt like it was our time to finally beat the Wings and advance. And we did. How sweet it would be to send the Blackhawks golfing after the first round.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:23 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
A few notes/stats:

We are now #9 in the league in offense- averaging 2.94 goals per game

That is the good news- the bad news is our defensive numbers continue to sink- we are now #17 in the league in goals allowed. That is pretty ridiculous for a team with as good a D corps as we have.

In our last 22 games, we are allowing a whopping 3.32 goals per game.

Our offense is really rolling at home- in the past 9 home games, we are averaging 4.44 goals per game and have scored 4 or more goals in 8 of the last 9 home games. (Scored 3 in the other one)

On the flip side, our defense at home has been terrible- in those same 9 home games, we have allowed 35 goals (3.88 per game). We have allowed 3 or more goals in 6 of the last 9 home games.

There is a huge difference in our offense at home and on the road- at home, we are averaging 3.23 goals per game and have a +21 goal differential. On the road we average 2.65 goals per game and have a -10 goal differential.

We have scored 5 or more goals 16 times this year- almost 25% of our games. Last year we only did that 14 times the entire season.
With Lavy's system, I'm not surprised. As often as the Dmen jump up into the play, you're asking forwards to cover the Dmen's responsibilities a lot. Lot's of odd man rushes going in both directions. It's so anti-Trotzian.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:35 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
With Lavy's system, I'm not surprised. As often as the Dmen jump up into the play, you're asking forwards to cover the Dmen's responsibilities a lot. Lot's of odd man rushes going in both directions. It's so anti-Trotzian.
Agree completely but it has to be better than 17th in the league. Of course the other huge factor here is goaltending.

Old
03-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Agree completely but it has to be better than 17th in the league. Of course the other huge factor here is group defensive play.
I fixed that for you. Goaltending hasn't been the problem. When you allow so many point blank chances, you will get burned more than you like.

Old
03-14-2017, 03:22 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I fixed that for you. Goaltending hasn't been the problem. When you allow so many point blank chances, you will get burned more than you like.
No correction necessary- We were already discussing the fact that our system/team defense was the biggest reason. Was just saying that goaltending has also been a factor- which it absolutely has been

Old
03-14-2017, 03:37 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Team defense has been an issue this year, but goaltending is the major reason.

Also, our defensemen don't jump in the play any more now than they did under Trotz, but our centers don't play as high in the offensive zone either and the forwards don't circle back to cover as often. We've always had defensemen that like to score, Kimmo, Delmore, Zidlicky, Weber, Josi, etc. That's the way our blueline has always been and seems to be preferred by Poile.

Our biggest problem is when the breakdowns happen, they end up in the back of the net.

Old
03-14-2017, 04:58 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Sorry, that's nonsense.

Our goaltending has been abysmal for most of the last 3 years. We are actually middle of the pack in terms of limiting high danger shot attempts, but dead last in terms of conversion. That says "goaltender problem," not "defense problem."

There's an erroneous assumption that if a defensive breakdown leads to a goal, it's automatically the defense's fault and the goaltender is absolved. That isn't the case.

We are getting extremely poor goaltending. The numbers prove that...but we've won enough by scoring 4-5 goals in those games that it's been swept under the rug, but sooner or later this is going to come to a head.

03-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
This is so wrong that I'm not going to bother to type out a long response with stats and reasoning and all that good stuff. Anyone reading the above statement should know it is wrong already.

Old
03-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
If the goaltending has been this bad for 3 years why has this team made the playoffs much less advanced last year. All this *****ing about goaltending is absurd. There are at least 16 teams each of the last three year that would have loved a similar record.

Old
03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
If the goaltending has been this bad for 3 years why has this team made the playoffs much less advanced last year. All this *****ing about goaltending is absurd. There are at least 16 teams each of the last three year that would have loved a similar record.
Because sometimes teams with bad goaltending can make the playoffs anyway? Or goaltenders get hot at the right time?

Pekka has been in the bottom third of the league in basically every major category, outside of wins...so you're saying that those stats are wrong and even though he allows more goals relative to shots than the bulk of starters means that he's actually good and he's just saving himself for the important save?

Old
03-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Sorry, that's nonsense.

Our goaltending has been abysmal for most of the last 3 years. We are actually middle of the pack in terms of limiting high danger shot attempts, but dead last in terms of conversion. That says "goaltender problem," not "defense problem."

There's an erroneous assumption that if a defensive breakdown leads to a goal, it's automatically the defense's fault and the goaltender is absolved. That isn't the case.

We are getting extremely poor goaltending. The numbers prove that...but we've won enough by scoring 4-5 goals in those games that it's been swept under the rug, but sooner or later this is going to come to a head.

My thing though is fixing the team defense issues will reduce so many high danger chances. That in turn will reduce alot of the so called bad goaltending. If you provide an opponent with enough high danger chances as the Preds have, of course they will get burned more and that has been the case as of late.

Old
03-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Sorry, that's nonsense.

Where did you get your numbers? Last I saw (has been a little bit since I checked) Preds were 7th in high danger shots allowed/60. They are also 5th in expected goals against. In any case, the defense is doing a very good job overall, this is all between the pipes. The people shouting from the rooftops that the Preds give up way too many chances, etc. are absolutely crazy. They actually compare very, very favorably across the league in chances and High Danger chances.

Quote:
My thing though is fixing the team defense issues will reduce so many high danger chances. That in turn will reduce alot of the so called bad goaltending. If you provide an opponent with enough high danger chances as the Preds have, of course they will get burned more and that has been the case as of late.
Wrong. The Preds are very good at limiting high danger chances and have the 5th lowest expected goals against (which is, in my opinion, pretty much the best current measure of defensive play in the advanced stats world). Watch around the league and you'll see just as many chances (Actually more on average unless you're watching one of 4 or 5 superior teams) allowed by other teams, difference is pretty much literally every goalie in the league is better than Rinne at stopping them.

Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 03-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Closed Thread