HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

View Poll Results: Will Quebec City get a team via expansion or relocation?
Expansion 50 10.66%
Relocation 326 69.51%
QC will not get an NHL team 93 19.83%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Pelle Lindbergh

vCash: 500
Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

With all the infos we know now, and the Videotron center is maybe one the best arena in America, fans are already there, owners are named, tv contract included. Do you think at the end that the team will comes from expansion or relocation ?
Bettman asked to built a new arena, its done, they cant wait too long, now the arena is hitech and brand new , they cant wait that the arena to be a relic like the copps coliseum to bring back the team.

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Mightygoose

Is it too late to make this thread a poll?

My vote is with relocation.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 03:27 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

What tells you they can't wait too long ?

As it goes, NHL is allowing it self to say that a 12 years old arena is not good enough.

So in my opinion, if you make it a pool, add a 3rd option : Ain't happening.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Pelle Lindbergh

Now they have a brand arena, why wait ?
Remember , maybe in 2015, bettman wanted a league of 36 teams...
Quebecor built the arena, without promises ? Impossible
Quebecor went with the expansion bid last year, just for the thrill of it ? Impossible
Quebecor have a tv contract with the league, they created a channel fornthe return of the Nordiques, without promises , impossible.

For me, i think it will relocation, because if it was supposed to be expansion, it will be done deal at the moment.

Islanders : impossible, because of the history, and the ny area
Coyotes : i hope not because its my second favorite team, and theyndont want to loose the arizona market
Hurricanes : maybe the solution, with karmanos already out of the picture, in the board, not buyer from the area, i dont like cities losing teams but its the more logic situation.

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 03:53 PM
YoungGuns

My bet is relocation within the next 3 years. There was a reason Quebec expansion was "put on hold" and the Canadian dollar wasn't the reason in my opinion. I believe they were told to hang on tight and be ready for a team at any point.

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Seems like relocation is more likely with a few eastern franchises still not turning an ideal profit.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Is it too late to make this thread a poll?

My vote is with relocation.
Normally we don't allow polls on some fora, but I added one here. It would be interesting to see the results.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 05:26 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Relocation and sooner rather than later. The NHL are juggling way too many flaming balls of turd at the moment. Regardless of alignment and ideal solution it probably Quebecor time to crap or get off the pot. If they don't somebody else will smell the blood in the water and grab their lunch.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Glacial

It's relocation or nothing since the NHL basically boxed QC out of expansion. By all appearances, the NHL is keeping QC available as a relocation destination. It's seemingly being reserved for an eastern team to maintain the division alignment although we'll have to see how flexible they are with the Coyotes and their issues, how committed they are to Arizona.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:16 PM
the4thlinegrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
It's relocation or nothing since the NHL basically boxed QC out of expansion. By all appearances, the NHL is keeping QC available as a relocation destination. It's seemingly being reserved for an eastern team to maintain the division alignment although we'll have to see how flexible they are with the Coyotes and their issues, how committed they are to Arizona.
Quebec could likely play in the central for a few years while the other problem children get sorted out or a new realignment comes about. Winnipeg did something similar for 2 seasons.

the4thlinegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

Neither. Quebec has failed as an NHL market twice, why should they get another chance?

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Elephant Igloo

I hope for relocation, wouldn't mind expansion, but expect never to be in the league again.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:34 PM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

I think the Coyotes will be relocated to Quebec this summer or next. I think the Arizona state senate bill for a tax district will fail to make it to the house and the loca Indian Tribes will be the last hope for the Coyotes. I think the Indians are too shrewd to be conned by the slimy hucksters that own the Coyotes these days, and will eventually tell the Yotes to get lost. Quebec is he only city in North America prepared to take on a homeless NHL team at a moments notice.

03-11-2017, 06:38 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle Lindbergh View Post
Now they have a brand arena, why wait ?
Remember , maybe in 2015, bettman wanted a league of 36 teams...
Quebecor built the arena, without promises ? Impossible
Quebecor went with the expansion bid last year, just for the thrill of it ? Impossible
Quebecor have a tv contract with the league, they created a channel fornthe return of the Nordiques, without promises , impossible.

For me, i think it will relocation, because if it was supposed to be expansion, it will be done deal at the moment.

Islanders : impossible, because of the history, and the ny area
Coyotes : i hope not because its my second favorite team, and theyndont want to loose the arizona market
Hurricanes : maybe the solution, with karmanos already out of the picture, in the board, not buyer from the area, i dont like cities losing teams but its the more logic situation.
I wish as much as anyone else from Quebec to have the Nordiques back. But they way the league is doing business, I am not having high hopes.

We can't ignore what they are currently doing in Arizona and the Glendale arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
Neither. Quebec has failed as an NHL market twice, why should they get another chance?
As long as no one proposes another team in Atlanta I'm fine with it.

Btw, what would you think of Arizona ? Should they give a 3rd chance to Coyotes there or is it failed after 2 times, no more ?

Old
03-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I wish as much as anyone else from Quebec to have the Nordiques back. But they way the league is doing business, I am not having high hopes.

We can't ignore what they are currently doing in Arizona and the Glendale arena.

As long as no one proposes another team in Atlanta I'm fine with it.

Btw, what would you think of Arizona ? Should they give a 3rd chance to Coyotes there or is it failed after 2 times, no more ?
Coyotes have been in Arizona for 20 years, they should stay there.

Old
03-11-2017, 06:51 PM
rfournier103

If it happens, I think relocation. Not sure who, but relocation for sure.

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:54 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Okay, but they are seeking to get a 3rd arena in a different location in Arizona.

If Quebec is a twice failed NHL market over a course of 100 years, when does Arizona starts showing signs of weakness with all that happened in the last 20 years ?

Old
03-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
The Nordiques were in Quebec City for 23 years. They should have stayed too.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Either is good. Whatever. We'll see.

Anyways, right now I'm richer because I'm not spending money on Nordiques group Season Tickets. So it's maybe more of a blessing in disguise.

And anyways, the Centre Videotron isn't wasted at all, it has awesome shows all the time. And the Remparts have better attendance then many Southern US teams, are cheaper to go see, and we're not sending our dollars to Pheonix trough revenue sharing.

Also, I've become addicted to the Coyotes Saga after so many years. If they ever relocated it'd be like Game of Thrones was cancelled.

Either way it'll happen eventually, I think. And if it doesn't, it's the NHL's loss. Not ours.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
I hope for relocation, wouldn't mind expansion, but expect never to be in the league again.
So you have lost your team in the past and hope others have to do the same?

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
rfournier103

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4thlinegrinder View Post
Quebec could likely play in the central for a few years while the other problem children get sorted out or a new realignment comes about. Winnipeg did something similar for 2 seasons.
If they were in the Central, the NHL could move Quebec and Columbus to the Atlantic and move the two Florida teams to the Central.

Quebec would be natural rivals with Montreal, and the two Florida teams could remain together.

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Okay, but they are seeking to get a 3rd arena in a different location in Arizona.

If Quebec is a twice failed NHL market over a course of 100 years, when does Arizona starts showing signs of weakness with all that happened in the last 20 years ?
First of all the Coyotes were never meant to stay in America West Arena, they were supposed to move to a new arena built in Scottsdale but the deal fell thru and they had to settle for the one in Glendale which is a terrible location. With a proper arena in a good location the team should be successful. Just look at Ottawa and they're problems with attendance and the bankruptcy. Senators need a new downtown Arena to survive also but I guess in their case that's okay.

Old
03-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
So you have lost your team in the past and hope others have to do the same?
Come on man. That's not how I think. But after the NHL humiliated Québecor, stole ten million dollars from the group and refused us expansion. Is it any wonder many of us wish misery and pain on the rest of the NHL?

We wouldn't be here if they'd done the right thing and accepted to take our money.

Old
03-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
The Nordiques were in Quebec City for 23 years. They should have stayed too.
Maybe they should have but they didn't. I'm sure they didn't move because they were too profitable.

Old
03-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Maybe they should have but they didn't. I'm sure they didn't move because they were too profitable.
They literally never lost a single cent. Ever. They were always profitable.

Aubut and the NHL used the speculative made up excuse that "according to their calculations the team would start losing money in the next few years", to sell to Colorado. But the team was always profitable. It never lost a penny.

It was a travesty. Like the North Stars moving to Dallas. But whatever. It was forever ago. Everyone's moved to other things.[MOD]

Last edited by BattleBorn: 03-11-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Doesn't seem necessary.