HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

View Poll Results: Will Quebec City get a team via expansion or relocation?
Expansion 54 10.51%
Relocation 345 67.12%
QC will not get an NHL team 115 22.37%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Come on man. That's not how I think. But after the NHL humiliated Québecor, stole ten million dollars from the group and refused us expansion. Is it any wonder many of us wish misery and pain on the rest of the NHL?

We wouldn't be here if they'd done the right thing and accepted to take our money.
Maybe it was Quebecor that was unable to pay the 500,000,000 price tag and the NHL took the bullet publicly for them.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Either is good. Whatever. We'll see.

Anyways, right now I'm richer because I'm not spending money on Nordiques group Season Tickets. So it's maybe more of a blessing in disguise.

And anyways, the Centre Videotron isn't wasted at all, it has awesome shows all the time. And the Rampart have better attendance then many Southern US teams, are cheaper to go see, and we're not sending our dollars to Pheonix trough revenue sharing.

Also, I've become addicted to the Coyotes Saga after so many years. If they ever relocated it'd be like Game of Thrones was cancelled.

Either way it'll happen eventually, I think. And if it doesn't, it's the NHL's loss. Not ours.
Remparts attendance 9289
Which of the many Southern US teams are they better than?

Old
03-11-2017, 07:43 PM
XX
It's finally over

They will get a relocation team, probably this summer. Too soft of a landing spot to not happen.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Remparts attendance 9289
Which of the many Southern US teams are they better than?
I meant for some games. Not in average attendance. And it was a figure of speech to say they're extrememely sucessful and pay the bills. Dont take it personally dude.

Also, about your other post. The idea that Québecor wasn't gonna pay is pure 100% bull. It makes no sense.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
I meant for some games. Not in average attendance. And it was a figure of speech to say they're extrememely sucessful and pay the bills. Dont take it personally dude.

Also, about your other post. The idea that Québecor wasn't gonna pay is pure 100% bull. It makes no sense.
not what you said or insinuated.

Really a publicity held company backing out of a deal that some of it's investors think is risky is not uncommon at all.

Old
03-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
not what you said or insinuated.

Really a publicity held company backing out of a deal that some of it's investors think is risky is not uncommon at all.
Not being offered something in the first place where they can pay that amount seems more likely and is consistent to what the league said when they were deffered makes allot more sense no?

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 08:23 PM
cbcwpg

Quebec is being saved for when the NHL finds itself in a situation like they had in atlanta.... an emergency relocation

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 09:46 PM
GordonGraham

Im from Quebec city, i want it to happen but until gary bettman retires its never happening.

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 10:25 PM
robertocarlos

vCash: 171
Quebec won't get a team because the money doesn't make sense. If a team relocates the Nords will still have to pay close to 500 million USD.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Im from Quebec city, i want it to happen but until gary bettman retires its never happening.
Yes because Bettman hates Canada and will never allow a team to move there

Last edited by Gnashville: 03-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old
03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
I don't think that's true at all, however if alignment is really an issue it may (still not 100% as they could bite the bullet and play in the central) not happen until an Eastern team has to move.

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Trelane

Relocation. Something Nords fans should be praying for anyway since it's easy 3+ years ahead of on ice product worth compared to expansion.

Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
Neither. Quebec has failed as an NHL market twice, why should they get another chance?
I love that you cite the failure of the 1917-1920 Quebec Bulldogs, a team that precedes not only World War II but the forward pass, as an argument against Quebec City. Hey, if it didn't work then, it'll never work today!

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:45 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
I love that you cite the failure of the 1917-1920 Quebec Bulldogs, a team that precedes not only World War II but the forward pass, as an argument against Quebec City. Hey, if it didn't work then, it'll never work today!
Yeah, it's like why did Pittsburgh and Philadelphia get a second chance? Or why did NYC get a second chance at two teams?

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:47 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Yes because Bettman hates Canada and will never allow a team to move there
Not as long as he has a choice. Quebec gets a team when the NHL has no other choice.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not as long as he has a choice. Quebec gets a team when the NHL has no other choice.
I love the bogus narrative that he had no choice in Winnipeg instead of the real truth that he was working with Winnipeg for years and was helpful in getting a team moved there. He has also been working with Quebec also.

Last edited by Gnashville: 03-12-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old
03-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
Yeah, it's like why did Pittsburgh and Philadelphia get a second chance? Or why did NYC get a second chance at two teams?
The St. Louis Eagles told me everything I needed to know about the viability of the St. Louis market for all time. Nothing has ever changed in any way.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 12:53 AM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Quebec won't get a team because the money doesn't make sense. If a team relocates the Nords will still have to pay close to 500 million USD.
I very much doubt that. The NHL would love to be rid of a problem child franchise like the Coyotes at a certain price point, but it isn't $500 million. Probably $350 or so, maybe less, depending on how much debt the team has taken on behind closed doors.

It's hard to ask full price for a team if you've got several floating around in limbo. Foley was an isolated case of an owner that wanted a team right away, and wanted to build it his way.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 01:00 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
He did have a choice. As I recall around that time there was a lot of rumors that Kansas City wanted a team and they had an arena built.

03-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
He did have a choice. As I recall around that time there was a lot of rumors that Kansas City wanted a team and they had an arena built.
As of right now it appears the Sprint Center makes more money with concerts than they would with 45 NHL games.

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 04:21 AM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Quote:
Quebec is being saved for when the NHL finds itself in a situation like they had in atlanta.... an emergency relocation
terrible owners who just wanted out and never gave two craps about the team, nor let anyone in the atl even attempt to save the franchise?

i could be wrong, but i am like 90% sure i remember ted turner saying he would have bought them to keep them in atlanta

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 07:03 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Skudra View Post
As of right now it appears the Sprint Center makes more money with concerts than they would with 45 NHL games.
And, Sprint Center has been that way for years. The truth is that the presence of a team offers exactly ONE benefit to a city/arena. Name recognition. An NHL team in KC is going to require parking fees, all game night revenues of all kinds, and Naming Rights as well, PLUS some of the other monies from the arena, in order to stay afloat. That's the reality of a market of that size.

All those monies would have to come out KC's pocket, and there is no reason for the city to do that, when the place is fully used as it is. Basically, until something changes either with the way NHL does business, or with the way Sprint Center is booked, there is no NBA or NHL team going there.

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:25 AM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
And, Sprint Center has been that way for years. The truth is that the presence of a team offers exactly ONE benefit to a city/arena. Name recognition. An NHL team in KC is going to require parking fees, all game night revenues of all kinds, and Naming Rights as well, PLUS some of the other monies from the arena, in order to stay afloat. That's the reality of a market of that size.

All those monies would have to come out KC's pocket, and there is no reason for the city to do that, when the place is fully used as it is. Basically, until something changes either with the way NHL does business, or with the way Sprint Center is booked, there is no NBA or NHL team going there.
Very well stated how some cities might think they're better off without a team, unless the team plays full freight. I hadn't thought of how some of that income, that normally goes to a tenant, is accruing to Kansas City now. Not a bad deal.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Neither. Quebec has failed as an NHL market twice, why should they get another chance?
Ridiculous.
Quote:
Coyotes have been in Arizona for 20 years, they should stay there.
Why? The league disagrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Okay, but they are seeking to get a 3rd arena in a different location in Arizona.

If Quebec is a twice failed NHL market over a course of 100 years, when does Arizona starts showing signs of weakness with all that happened in the last 20 years ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
The Nordiques were in Quebec City for 23 years. They should have stayed too.
Agreed.

Having said that... it should be expansion. Two reasons 1) a fresh start for Quebec. 2) no dead weight from another franchise with be personnel.

The Hurricanes should try to make it work, or have Hartford ready. The coyotes should go to Seattle or Portland if the bill doesn't pass. Houston and Atlanta should be expansion.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Skudra View Post
KC's guy said the expansion fee was too much, and he was right

http://kckingdom.com/2016/12/22/kans...e-kansas-city/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
terrible owners who just wanted out and never gave two craps about the team, nor let anyone in the atl even attempt to save the franchise?

i could be wrong, but i am like 90% sure i remember ted turner saying he would have bought them to keep them in atlanta
Ted Turner/WB sold the team in the first place.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote