HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

View Poll Results: Will Quebec City get a team via expansion or relocation?
Expansion 48 10.55%
Relocation 317 69.67%
QC will not get an NHL team 90 19.78%
Voters: 455. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-16-2017, 07:18 PM
DowntownBooster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Agree that Winnipeg and Minnesota really wanted to move to the Central a few years back. Traveling to the west coast is tough on TV viewership if you're in the East or Central time zones. The historical rivalries with the Western Canadian teams are good ones for Winnipeg, though.
I'd rather see Chicago, Minnesota and St. Louis over Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. I remember the Smythe Division days of late start times with the Jets on the road in those cities. I think we're already building rivalries with teams in the Central Division. The 3 games against each Pacific Division team is more than enough.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:27 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I don't see how the league can go into 8 division 4 teams while keeping CLB and DET out east.

NHL team geographically based on a West and east conference alignment wouldn't make sense for a 8 division 4 team when you consider other factors. Like two teams specifically wanting to play in the eastern conference then rivalries.
What was discussed a few years ago was a four-conference structure, not as strictly split East-West by time zone, nor necessarily having playoffs leading to an East-West finals, in which the schedule might be partially imbalanced (they'd be balanced within each conference, but not outside it) to let Detroit and Columbus play fewer games in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, which was their biggest concern. They weren't so concerned about the games they had to play in the Central time zone. It was reported at the time Detroit was open to this. If this could work for four eight-team conferences, it arguably could work just as well for eight four-team divisions - perhaps it's even easier to schedule with flexibility that way.

I'm not saying it might not come with its own disadvantages in other ways, but it was a way to accommodate the legitimate concerns of Detroit and Columbus. Maybe they're now so comfortable being fully in the East that they'd fight it, but at the time, it seemed they were open to an arrangement like that.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:30 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

I figure an hour either way isn't a major issue. 6:00 vs 8:00, meh.

Starting away games at 9:00 local stinks. On the other side, western teams starting games at 4:00 or 5:00 when their fans are still at work or coming home from work isn't any better.

06-16-2017, 07:36 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I'd rather see Chicago, Minnesota and St. Louis over Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. I remember the Smythe Division days of late start times with the Jets on the road in those cities. I think we're already building rivalries with teams in the Central Division. The 3 games against each Pacific Division team is more than enough.

Understood, and it's fun to see all the Manitobans who come down to St. Paul to see Jets-Wild games - often well more than a thousand of them in the building really cheering on their team. Creates a great atmosphere, and having lost a team, too, Minnesotans get it that it's a big deal that they have their own team to root for again. Hope it happens soon for Quebec, too!

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:57 PM
kij

How about no divisions at all? Play a semi-balanced schedule (say east coast teams make the California and western Canada swings twice each season and vice versa so there are 4 games vs. the further opponents) and top 16 make the playoffs. 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, etc.

kij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I figure an hour either way isn't a major issue. 6:00 vs 8:00, meh.

Starting away games at 9:00 local stinks. On the other side, western teams starting games at 4:00 or 5:00 when their fans are still at work or coming home from work isn't any better.
I wonder how many teams could make small accommodations, say, a Wings-Hawks game in Chicago dropping just after 7 instead of 7:30, or Wings-Kings/Ducks games being weekend matinees.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 07:04 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Don't get your hope up. It's June 17, by now Sportsnet is likely full of Summer interns doing their best, and failing.

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 10:47 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1971 View Post
Interesting video by SportNet on the nhl site, if you look closely, Quebec is included in a 4 teams division with Habs, Toronto and Ottawa

https://www.nhl.com/video/expansion-...694/c-52237603

i think the nhl wants arizona and vegas in the division

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Digital Kid

That map shows why Seattle would cause a bigger problem balance-wise than Quebec.

Who on Earth moves to the Central!? Arizona?

And is anything happening on the Karmanos front?

Digital Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Mightygoose

I doubt this is any kind of foreshadowing of future plans, this is on the NHL site and on Sportsnet - official broadcast partner

How does this get overlooked when this viedo was produced and proofed?

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 11:51 PM
LeafalCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Kid View Post
That map shows why Seattle would cause a bigger problem balance-wise than Quebec.

I'd imagine it'd have to be either Arizona to the central or Colorado to the Pacific and the Alberta teams to the central if/when Seattle got the 32 team. Wouldn't be as big of a problem as Quebec. They're not putting them in the central and they're not moving Detroit or Columbus back west.

LeafalCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 05:02 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafalCrusader View Post
I'd imagine it'd have to be either Arizona to the central or Colorado to the Pacific and the Alberta teams to the central if/when Seattle got the 32 team. Wouldn't be as big of a problem as Quebec. They're not putting them in the central and they're not moving Detroit or Columbus back west.
Seattle would be the closest US team to the alberta teams. It makes no sense to move the alberta teams to central division and put Colorado who is a more central located team in the pacific division.

Quote:

Not really. Arizona to Central is a lot easier to do then trying to fit Quebec.

gstommylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:53 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
Seattle would be the closest US team to the alberta teams. It makes no sense to move the alberta teams to central division and put Colorado who is a more central located team in the pacific division.
If all you're looking at is "crow flies" distance, then yes, it would make no sense.

However, you have 2 options:

a) a Central with 6 CTZ teams and 2 MTZ teams, and a Pacific with 6 PTZ teams, 1 MTZ team, and an Arizona time team, or;
b) a Central with 6 CTZ teams, 1 MTZ team, and an Arizona time team, and a Pacific with 6 PTZ teams and 2 MTZ teams.

Option A means that every Central divisional evening start will be at 7 or 8 CST/CDT, and 6 or 7 MST/MDT, and every Pacific start will be at 6 or 7 MST/MDT or 7 or 8 PST/PDT.

Option B means that for about half the year, including the run-up to the postseason, you have 1 team whose home 7 PM starts are 9 PM starts for six of their divisional opponents. That team's road 7 PM starts against those opponents are 5 PM starts in their time zone. That's just ugly, and given that the league's concern is less about pure travel time, and more about getting the maximum number of eyeballs on the game, they're going to want to do their utmost to avoid wonky start times. The way to do that is not to pair a team that's functionally PTZ with teams that are CTZ.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Really? And break up the Chicago st Louis rivalry? That 8 division alignment plan doesn't really address travel cost issue. Never mind it forces Detroit and Columbus back into the western conference and that isn't gonna happen.
Wouldn't it be 4 conferences, 8 divisions?

So, technically, Detroit and Columbus would not be in the same conference as the Western teams.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 12:59 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Wouldn't it be 4 conferences, 8 divisions?

So, technically, Detroit and Columbus would not be in the same conference as the Western teams.
I recall the NHL wanted to try it out before Atlanta moved to Winnipeg.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 11:05 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:

It'd be a moot point because then you'd have 33 teams. The way that scenario works is Arizona moves to Seattle and is put with the California teams with Vegas moved to the Central.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
It'd be a moot point because then you'd have 33 teams. The way that scenario works is Arizona moves to Seattle and is put with the California teams with Vegas moved to the Central.
You need another team imo. Portland.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 11:14 AM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

I think once 32 is hit, it sits there for a while.

You've got to get to 36 to keep the 4/8 divisions equal after that.

BattleBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 12:12 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I think once 32 is hit, it sits there for a while.

You've got to get to 36 to keep the 4/8 divisions equal after that.
I agree that the NHL is not going to go beyond 32 any time soon this mean that Quebecor price to get in one way or another is going to get larger with every options closing one after the other. Better grab one of the dumpster fire now because the next expansion is going to be the big auction the NHL wanted.

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
I agree that the NHL is not going to go beyond 32 any time soon this mean that Quebecor price to get in one way or another is going to get larger with every options closing one after the other. Better grab one of the dumpster fire now because the next expansion is going to be the big auction the NHL wanted.
Not at 500 million.

Old
06-20-2017, 03:38 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Not at 500 million.
Agreed. The price is still going to be at 500m and its not going to be with a lot of bidders either.

gstommylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

vCash: 50
A team in Quebec causes too many realignment problems, the best solution is no team in Quebec. On the other hand a team in Seattle along with Vegas solves the east/west imbalance that has existed for a long time.

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 04:45 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
A team in Quebec causes too many realignment problems, the best solution is no team in Quebec. On the other hand a team in Seattle along with Vegas solves the east/west imbalance that has existed for a long time.
As much as Seattle makes the best most lucrative sense, so much that league could announce moving their headquarters from NYC to Seattle and the hall of fame from Toronto to Seattle...that dream team of Seattle is still at least 5 years away from reality.

powerstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
A team in Quebec causes too many realignment problems, the best solution is no team in Quebec.
No one who counts would ever make this argument for Atlanta. [MOD]

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 06-21-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: You only need to say it once to get your point across
Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Melrose Munch

Quebec and Seattle can both be fit in, just go to 34 teams. Seattle, Portland, Quebec and a 4th city. KC or Houston.