HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Quebec Nordiques: expansion or relocation

View Poll Results: Will Quebec City get a team via expansion or relocation?
Expansion 54 10.51%
Relocation 345 67.12%
QC will not get an NHL team 115 22.37%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Understood, but Quebec did everything right and still got shafted by Jacobs, that is who the anger should be at.
Yeah, see, despite Jacobs being the Chairman of the NHL BOG's & his negative comments pursuant to Quebec (CDN$, market size etc) following the most recent Expansion process I'm not prepared to lay the blame entirely on his doorstep for denying their entry at that/this time. He's just one vote. Fact is we dont know exactly what went down, could be any number of possible obstacles beyond & including in part the official version that "Conference Alignment" was the main barrier....

Rather, I'm much more inclined to "blame" if you will the entire 10 member BOG's for collectively reaching the wrong decision with respect to this matter, and I believe Bettman & Daly sharing, also culpable, partially responsible in that they were the ones who "framed" the entire Expansion Process including setting price, the BOG's including Jacobs relying on the Glimmer Twins for advice in reaching their decision & denying Quebecs application. Ill advised without a clue Group Think of the worst kind.

The loudest negative voices at that table won out (and I doubt very much it was unanimous) and will rue the day, likely already do what with the NFL headed for Las Vegas in not accepting QC & shoring up their foundations with albeit a smallish but still very strong, proven, vibrant & reliable market. Trouble will come knocking in the very near future, already banging down the door in Arizona, CBA expiring, cable cutting on a massive scale, franchise resurrections elsewhere works in progress that could very easily run right off the rails within the next 2-7yrs.

Eventually, their going to have to play the Quebec Card. They wont have a choice in the matter. He who procrastinates will have decisions made for him. And thats what they've done having denied Quebec's entry. Procrastinated, didnt do the right thing, didnt shore up their foundations, spread themselves thinner than they already were/are. Theyve simply payed things forward guaranteeing problems for themselves once again down the road. Of course, they dont see it that way. Cigars & brandy all around, happy-slappy having just dinged Foley to the tune of $500M, not realizing or caring that in doing so they actually lit a fuse thats gunna eventually go BANG. Short term thinkers. Greedy. Self dealing. It is what it is I'm afraid MM.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yeah, see, despite Jacobs being the Chairman of the NHL BOG's & his negative comments pursuant to Quebec (CDN$, market size etc) following the most recent Expansion process I'm not prepared to lay the blame entirely on his doorstep for denying their entry at that/this time. He's just one vote. Fact is we dont know exactly what went down, could be any number of possible obstacles beyond & including in part the official version that "Conference Alignment" was the main barrier....

Rather, I'm much more inclined to "blame" if you will the entire 10 member BOG's for collectively reaching the wrong decision with respect to this matter, and I believe Bettman & Daly sharing, also culpable, partially responsible in that they were the ones who "framed" the entire Expansion Process including setting price, the BOG's including Jacobs relying on the Glimmer Twins for advice in reaching their decision & denying Quebecs application. Ill advised without a clue Group Think of the worst kind.

The loudest negative voices at that table won out (and I doubt very much it was unanimous) and will rue the day, likely already do what with the NFL headed for Las Vegas in not accepting QC & shoring up their foundations with albeit a smallish but still very strong, proven, vibrant & reliable market. Trouble will come knocking in the very near future, already banging down the door in Arizona, CBA expiring, cable cutting on a massive scale, franchise resurrections elsewhere works in progress that could very easily run right off the rails within the next 2-7yrs.

Eventually, their going to have to play the Quebec Card. They wont have a choice in the matter. He who procrastinates will have decisions made for him. And thats what they've done having denied Quebec's entry. Procrastinated, didnt do the right thing, didnt shore up their foundations, spread themselves thinner than they already were/are. Theyve simply payed things forward guaranteeing problems for themselves once again down the road. Of course, they dont see it that way. Cigars & brandy all around, happy-slappy having just dinged Foley to the tune of $500M, not realizing or caring that in doing so they actually lit a fuse thats gunna eventually go BANG. Short term thinkers. Greedy. Self dealing. It is what it is I'm afraid MM.
I absolutely agree K. It looks like it is just about to go off the rails and all it will take is one more team saying they have problems.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I absolutely agree K. It looks like it is just about to go off the rails and all it will take is one more team saying they have problems.
.... well, its not gunna go completely off the rails in the immediate future, say within the next 6-12mnths but yes, trains a comin.

Old
07-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 7395348
Quote:
.... well, its not gunna go completely off the rails in the immediate future, say within the next 6-12mnths but yes, trains a comin.
Things just a little murkier for Quebec as now Houston could be in play for relocation with the news today.

The train is coming

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Things just a little murkier for Quebec as now Houston could be in play for relocation with the news today.

The train is coming

Pretty sure it will be Quebec and Houston if Seattle doesn't get ready.

Old
07-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Pretty sure it will be Quebec and Houston if Seattle doesn't get ready.
Well...Seattle will not be ready for years...where as Quebec and Houston are ready now...

Chugga...Chugga...Whoo! Whoo!

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:27 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Well...Seattle will not be ready for years...where as Quebec and Houston are ready now...

Chugga...Chugga...Whoo! Whoo!
and what if Seattle is ahead of both Quebec and Houston, while we're waiting on Arizona

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
and what if Seattle is ahead of both Quebec and Houston, while we're waiting on Arizona
Seattle may be in the head of the NHL...but both Quebec (now) and Houston (with an arena and possible ownership change later) are still far along...

Seattle has years to go...and I do not think that Barroway can last that long...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 07:59 AM
NYCFlyer

Quote:

Its about growth of the business. There is very little opportunity for growth in Canada. There is already a long term TV contract in place and every major market is covered. "Conference Alignment" of course has nothing to do with Quebec not getting a franchise. Its more that that Houston and Seattle are way more desirable from a long term growth of the NHL perspective and they are just delaying, hoping one of those markets can get their act together before the next US TV contract is negotiated.

Greedy, self dealing? What fairy tale do you live in where hardened businessmen don't demand a return on their investment? This isn't a charity. We shall see but i think Las Vegas was an excellent choice to increase the interest in the game from people outside and on the margins of the game. That is anything but short term thinking.

I think Quebecs only chance will be for one of the wealthy locals to buy say the Islanders and convince the BOG to let them move the franchise. I could see that happening.

NYCFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer View Post
Its about growth of the business. There is very little opportunity for growth in Canada. There is already a long term TV contract in place and every major market is covered. "Conference Alignment" of course has nothing to do with Quebec not getting a franchise. Its more that that Houston and Seattle are way more desirable from a long term growth of the NHL perspective and they are just delaying, hoping one of those markets can get their act together before the next US TV contract is negotiated.

Greedy, self dealing? What fairy tale do you live in where hardened businessmen don't demand a return on their investment? This isn't a charity. We shall see but i think Las Vegas was an excellent choice to increase the interest in the game from people outside and on the margins of the game. That is anything but short term thinking.

I think Quebecs only chance will be for one of the wealthy locals to buy say the Islanders and convince the BOG to let them move the franchise. I could see that happening.
So was Atlanta. The NHL has made several business mistakes that have lost money as well.

Old
07-18-2017, 03:44 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:

You see, Quebec, the city, is much less interested in hockey in 2017 than it was in 1995. It's been more than 20 years that we lost our team. Yes, Habs filled that hole somewhat, but so have baseball, soccer and football aswell.

There is less and less kids playing youth hockey (cost doesn't help) today than there was in 1995. And guess what, there is QUITE a lot more kids playing baseball, soccer and football than there was in 1995.

So...while growing the game in Canada may need less attention from the league, it's false to believe that the league can ignore the ''growing'' part north of the 48th for decades.

We have a brand new arena that we PUBLICLY are paying for the next 25-30 years. How do you think we feel after NHL told us in last 2 years about 50 different ways we ain't getting a team ? Well we use it for concerts, enjoy our junior hockey and direct our kids toward other sports.

During last 5 years, the Quebec City administration only built ONE new arena...(actually they rebuilt an old one) and closed down 2 or 3. In the same time, they build 10 outside synthetic soccer fields and build 3 interior soccer fields that can and are used all year round for both soccer and baseball.

But as far as I am concerned, NHL can keep growing the game exclusively in the US.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 04:54 PM
NYCFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
You see, Quebec, the city, is much less interested in hockey in 2017 than it was in 1995. It's been more than 20 years that we lost our team. Yes, Habs filled that hole somewhat, but so have baseball, soccer and football aswell.

There is less and less kids playing youth hockey (cost doesn't help) today than there was in 1995. And guess what, there is QUITE a lot more kids playing baseball, soccer and football than there was in 1995.

So...while growing the game in Canada may need less attention from the league, it's false to believe that the league can ignore the ''growing'' part north of the 48th for decades.

We have a brand new arena that we PUBLICLY are paying for the next 25-30 years. How do you think we feel after NHL told us in last 2 years about 50 different ways we ain't getting a team ? Well we use it for concerts, enjoy our junior hockey and direct our kids toward other sports.

During last 5 years, the Quebec City administration only built ONE new arena...(actually they rebuilt an old one) and closed down 2 or 3. In the same time, they build 10 outside synthetic soccer fields and build 3 interior soccer fields that can and are used all year round for both soccer and baseball.

But as far as I am concerned, NHL can keep growing the game exclusively in the US.
No one said it was fair or handled properly, but with the Haps throwing banana peels in front of the process and cities like Houston for example the same size as Toronto, 7 or 8 times the size of QC, and with the potential for a large pop in US TV revenue it is pretty easy to understand the rationale.

Old
07-18-2017, 05:01 PM
NYCFlyer

Quote:
So was Atlanta. The NHL has made several business mistakes that have lost money as well.
Twice. Atlanta just never took to hockey. Maybe poor ownership, maybe poor team maybe who knows but every business enterprise makes decisions in hindsight that are mistakes. However the rationale for the decision to move to Atlanta was sound. Top ten North America market that will hopefully strengthen the negotiating position for the US TV contract. Not that complicated. Houston and Seattle also fit that and until they are in or eliminated QC's only real chance is relo and for sure the Haps will try and block it behind the scenes.

Old
07-18-2017, 05:12 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Twice. Atlanta just never took to hockey. Maybe poor ownership, maybe poor team maybe who knows but every business enterprise makes decisions in hindsight that are mistakes. However the rationale for the decision to move to Atlanta was sound. Top ten North America market that will hopefully strengthen the negotiating position for the US TV contract. Not that complicated. Houston and Seattle also fit that and until they are in or eliminated QC's only real chance is relo and for sure the Haps will try and block it behind the scenes.
"Atlanta never took to hockey" is a vast oversimplification given the city's support of the IHL Knights, the ECHL Gladiators, and fairly solid support of the Flames.

07-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:

Sounds like a great place to Grow The Game.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Roboturner913
Ask clown a question

Atlanta just isn't a good major league town. Nobody that lives in Atlanta, is actually from Atlanta. They've all moved in from New Orleans and Memphis and places like that. The Braves never got the support they should've despite umpteen division titles in a row. The Hawks have languished near the bottom of the NBA in attendance and ratings since, like, the early 90s until the last year or so. The Falcons do OK, in the sense that every NFL team does at least OK, but they're still just middle of the pack.

Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cousins & ASG's problems are well documented. There are no "maybe's" about it, answers available if youd care to do a little research. It wasnt a case of "Atlanta never took to hockey", not in the 70's, not in the last go-round.... The Thrashers were an Expansion Franchise, not a Relocation, no one "moved" there. You had Ted Turner applying for & winning the franchise. What followed a tragedy that need not have occurred..... But please.... tell me more about these "hardened businessmen of the NHL who so astutely go about growing the game and revenues" while I and I guess plenty of others "iive in a fantasy world where ROI is unimportant".... regale me with your tales of Tom Hicks & Dallas, Norm Green & Minnesota, of Sunrise & Tampa, Arizona & Oakland, Kansas City & Denver, of Cleveland and....

Old
07-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:

I read your post and I tell myself... do we REALLY need NHL hockey when it is obvious they don't want us? We have diversity now and it is fun. For really little money, you can bring your kids to hockey, baseball, football and even soccer now (we have a PLSQ team playing out of Stade Honco in Charny).

The Nordiques returning would kill all these minor league sports. People would use their disposable income on the Nords and that's it. Maybe the Capitales would survive as they play during the Summer, but the Rouge et Or and especially the Remparts would suffer tremendously. Should we sacrifice all of that and our kids playing more than just hockey for the NHL? I really don't know anymore.

I mean, getting the Nords back has been a dream of mine since 1995. For most people, they learn that life isn't fair when they learn Santa isn't real.... for me, it was when the Nords left. Still hurts to this day and I would probably cry tears of joy if they were to come back... however... do we really need them? We have a vibrant city. We have various sports teams (minors but still) which games are VERY affordable to go to. We have a lot of concerts, a nice summer festival, a booming economy, etc. We are getting by great without the Nords and the arena was a need. Do we really need to give our money to the likes of Jeremy Jacobs and Geoff Molson? No.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 02:03 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 7395348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandale du Jour View Post
I read your post and I tell myself... do we REALLY need NHL hockey when it is obvious they don't want us? We have diversity now and it is fun. For really little money, you can bring your kids to hockey, baseball, football and even soccer now (we have a PLSQ team playing out of Stade Honco in Charny).

The Nordiques returning would kill all these minor league sports. People would use their disposable income on the Nords and that's it. Maybe the Capitales would survive as they play during the Summer, but the Rouge et Or and especially the Remparts would suffer tremendously. Should we sacrifice all of that and our kids playing more than just hockey for the NHL? I really don't know anymore.

I mean, getting the Nords back has been a dream of mine since 1995. For most people, they learn that life isn't fair when they learn Santa isn't real.... for me, it was when the Nords left. Still hurts to this day and I would probably cry tears of joy if they were to come back... however... do we really need them? We have a vibrant city. We have various sports teams (minors but still) which games are VERY affordable to go to. We have a lot of concerts, a nice summer festival, a booming economy, etc. We are getting by great without the Nords and the arena was a need. Do we really need to give our money to the likes of Jeremy Jacobs and Geoff Molson? No.
I can sense your sadness as you typed that but your looking at the landscape today is 100% correct. 25-30 years if you only spoke English you had major problems in Quebec City if you strayed past the 'Ramparts' and into the neighborhoods. That isn't the case today.

I was listening to TSN 690 today online and it was said that when/if the NHL expands - Quebecor is locked into the $500 million expansion fee but any other applicants will be asked to pay more. That is because the NHL never denied a franchise but simply put it on hold.

We simply have to wait to see how Carolina gets resolved.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 04:46 AM
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper

vCash: 455
I could easily see an expansion in 2020 or thereabouts where Quebec, Seattle, and Houston get in. Evens out the conference alignment, keeps all the EST teams in one conference, and it fills out the map of cities that could sustain an NHL franchise. You'd still have relief valves in Portland and Hamilton if a franchise went belly-up

Headshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I can sense your sadness as you typed that but your looking at the landscape today is 100% correct. 25-30 years if you only spoke English you had major problems in Quebec City if you strayed past the 'Ramparts' and into the neighborhoods. That isn't the case today.

I was listening to TSN 690 today online and it was said that when/if the NHL expands - Quebecor is locked into the $500 million expansion fee but any other applicants will be asked to pay more. That is because the NHL never denied a franchise but simply put it on hold.

We simply have to wait to see how Carolina gets resolved.
The "being put on hold" thing is quite shady. Makes me wonder, at times, if Quebecor didn't choke at the end because of the low Canadian dollar. They couldn't afford for that to get out because it would have killed a lot of their business in Quebec City (we are vindictive *****, especially when it comes to something as emotional as the Nords and you can BET that the trash radios here would have JUMPED on the chance to make a separatist leader, Péladeau, look bad).

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Hal1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
This makes absolutely no sense to me. You have a city that had their team sold out from under them, wanting nothing more than to have their team back. Not the scraps off the table that the NHL was throwing them to keep them placated, but an actual team. What legitimate good does it do the fans of Quebec City to go see someone else's team for one meaningless game a year? To line the pockets of another greedy owner (Karmanos is no better than Aubut in this measure, for obvious reasons) as a sign that they'll meekly line up for whatever King Gary deigns to throw them? Bullcrap.

There's nothing hypocritical about calling out the "we'll give you one meaningless exhibition a year so you'll shut up" plan for what it was. If the fans in QC had turned out in droves for that, do you honestly think that Jeremy Jacobs would suddenly go "My God, I've been a thundering fool! Clearly my desire to put teams in large untapped markets like Houston and Seattle is a misguided mistake; what I need to do is give a team to these people who have successfully shown that they'll throw money at one game a year!" No, the narrative would change from "you need to prove that you'll support the league" to "well, if you're happy with your preseason game every year, we'll keep on with that, then. No need to give you a team back."

Fan bases that lose their team don't want empty half-measures. They don't want the patronizing "well, you need to prove yourselves" attitude that people throw around, and they don't want to hear "your market is too small, too bad, so sad." It's no different from fan bases who have teams of questionable stability not wanting to hear these fan bases coming around saying "well, if you can't come out to support your team, they should come be our team instead." The only thing they want, the thing all fan bases want, is to have their team. Anything that doesn't help them get that, they shouldn't be slagged off for not supporting, and nothing in NHL history indicates that fan turnout for one-off exhibitions has any bearing on getting a town a team.
Thanks, that's a great post that explain well how some of us feel.

Just want to add that we did sold-out all or near sold-out all exibition game thrown at us.

Hal1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 12:22 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
No one said it was fair or handled properly, but with the Haps throwing banana peels in front of the process and cities like Houston for example the same size as Toronto, 7 or 8 times the size of QC, and with the potential for a large pop in US TV revenue it is pretty easy to understand the rationale.
I don't wanna judge markets but both Atlanta and Phoenix, two top-10 US TV markets, have shown that TV WISE, they could be triple their current size and hockey, once again, TV WISE, wouldn't do any better.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I have felt all along that Quebec will be franchise No. 32, via expansion, and I still feel that way. The fact they have exercised so much patience (and some restraint) just proves the point even further for me.

I think the NHL is simply waiting for the dollar to get a little better so that Quebec can re-start in positive fashion.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Cane mutiny
Ahoy_Aho

Quote:
I don't wanna judge markets but both Atlanta and Phoenix, two top-10 US TV markets, have shown that TV WISE, they could be triple their current size and hockey, once again, TV WISE, wouldn't do any better.
It took time to get Europeans to eat the potato.

Cane mutiny is offline   Reply With Quote