HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the players losing faith in Maurice?

Old
03-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Mbraunm

vCash: 500
Are the players losing faith in Maurice?

Have the players lost hope and mental energy due to playing an uphill battle this year against obviously ineffective PP, PK, and defensive zone systems (never mind game to game inept personnel decisions). These are professionals and are likely aware of these inadequacies. Sooner or later, it has got to be difficult to continue to play under systems that are obviously ineffective.
I would lose hope in that situation and I wouldn't be shocked if the players realized their collective fate months ago. Thoughts?

Mbraunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:04 PM
castle

vCash: 1000
Not months ago. That's ridiculous. But yeah, I think at this point they're done

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:06 PM
JetBlue420

Seems like it to me and some did check out months ago

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Mbraunm

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
Not months ago. That's ridiculous. But yeah, I think at this point they're done
I guess you're right. I know that back in November I personally was already fed up with Mo's unusual reliance on M2M coverage, PK/PP systems and personal decisions👎🏻

Old
03-12-2017, 03:30 AM
JetsUK

I'd be surprised if they were't. Not every Jets is a Scheifs-like hockey nerd and student of the game but some are, and the rest have been doing this at a very high level for a long time and will certainly have played better systems under better coaches. I suspect they could organize themselves into a better team than we've seen the last few weeks (months? years?).

Having worked for bosses like this, and been driven nearly mad by it, I don't blame them.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 03:42 AM
AlphaLackey

vCash: 147
Dunno if the players are, but Zeus knows *I* sure am.

Just kidding.

I know full well the players are too.

AlphaLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 04:04 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

After two years of performing worse on 5v5, I'd be disappointed if they weren't at least very confused regarding what Mo actually wanted them to do. From what I see on the ice, there is no plan, which either comes down to the coaching, or the coaches ability to relay the plan to the players. Or, admittedly, to the players' understanding what the coaches are saying, but I honestly don't think that's the real problem.

Old
03-12-2017, 04:07 AM
Plural

vCash: 50
We don't know if the team is still behind Maurice. But I think it's fair to assume that they are not buying the current system coaching staff is implementing. Players know just as well as fans that PP, PK, defensive schemes, lines, etc. are all responsibility of the coaching staff. The game is played on the ice by the players but the parameters they play within are set by coaching staff.

I won't absolve players of all responsibility, Buff needs to better (just an example) and it's not all on Maurice. But at this point, the biggest blame is on Maurice. And management can't fire half of the players and just bring in new ones. This team needs a shake-up and they need it now. Maurice has got to go. The guy is so pleasant and easy to like, but he has well overstayed his presence in this team. He has got to go, now.

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 04:08 AM
Rambokala

Well....did they look like they were losing faith on him two or three weeks ago?

What is happening in the Jets is ****ing weird to me.

Actually there's one team that reminds me of the Jets....and that's Dallas. Stacked offense, crappy D, subpar goaltending and a crappy coach.

Rambokala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 04:20 AM
ijuka

Hope so.

ijuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 05:09 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Sure of it.

kanadalainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Mbraunm

Again, I don't blame the players much. I lost faith already in November when it was obvious that the team's defensive and special teams systems setting the players up for failure. The players know this, they aren't stupid.

Old
03-12-2017, 09:28 AM
doogie5

Why is Maurice so scared of Buff?
Time to put him in his place on the bench.

doogie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:31 AM
thetracksuit

the players run that dressing room, not maurice.

it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed, hopefully with a pink slip that has maurice's name on it.

thetracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetracksuit View Post

it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed, hopefully with a pink slip that has maurice's name on it.
Jokinen said during his time that he has never seen players talk back to a coach like the Jets players did. Most of them are gone but the big bois, Buff and Wheeler still stay. I wonder if it's still the same.

Rambokala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 09:52 AM
NotCommitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
Maurice has got to go. The guy is so pleasant and easy to like, but he has well overstayed his presence in this team. He has got to go, now.
100% agree with this. I've only followed the Jets this season and when the Jets were battling with injuries and a tough schedule it was easy to forgive him a lot. Plus like you said he seems like genuinely nice guy and easy to like, and I think he's done plenty of good things too, like it seems to me he's pretty good at working with young players in some ways. But he's a horrible coach and it's frustrating to watch because when he changes things, he does so way too late (and changes the wrong things ), and when his changes don't work, he sticks with them for way too long. It's like he's really really stubborn and with no fluidity in his decision making.

I also had positive bias for him due to some things Olli Jokinen said about the state of the team under Nolan and how Maurice then put things right. Basically he said he'd never seen such an undisciplined hockey team with such a poor respect for the head coach, but that Maurice brought discipline and respect back into the team. But that was many years ago and the results just aren't there. Also I'm starting to question the state of the team in this respect too, take Buff for example, it just seems that guy can get away with anything. IMO a good coach wouldn't just sit back and keep watching Buff make the same stupid plays and undisciplined mistakes over and over again. Buff can be great and he's shown he's fully capable of playing well defensively, but only shows up every now and then. His on ice play is on himself, but at this point I'd say it's also on the coach, he needs to do better to make the player show up every night. Buff seems the kind of guy who probably needs that.

NotCommitted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 10:23 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetracksuit View Post

Then get rid of the players that think they run the team. The players are employees, not bosses... maybe they need to learn that.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 10:41 AM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie5 View Post
Why is Maurice so scared of Buff?
Time to put him in his place on the bench.
I too would be physically scared of a 6'-5", 265 lb behemoth known as Dustin Buff.

WickedPegJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Jets 31

Maurice was the guy that moved Buff to forward , with Myers out all year and as crappy as our defensive depth is , i don't think Maurice had this option . But if Myers is playing maybe he could have at least threatened Buff with that . To me though after the season is done , its time for a new coaching staff and i mean every coach must go not just Maurice .

Jets 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 10:53 AM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

Paul Maurice has worn out his welcome and the veterans have tuned him out, especially Big Buff. Chevy has one more year on his contract, not counting the current season whereas Maurice's three year extension expires next month. Many Jets season ticket holders will not renew if Maurice is extended once again. He and the entire coaching staff including Charlie Huddy have got to go. It is too bad that the unemployed Gerald Gallant isn't a statistical analytics guy, otherwise Chevy would can Paul in a minute and replace him with Gallant even before this miserable season is over. Hitch is not the answer long term.

WickedPegJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 10:59 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedPegJets View Post
Paul Maurice has worn out his welcome and the veterans have tuned him out, especially Big Buff. Chevy has one more year on his contract, not counting the current season whereas Maurice's three year extension expires next month. Many Jets season ticket holders will not renew if Maurice is extended once again. He and the entire coaching staff including Charlie Huddy have got to go. It is too bad that the unemployed Gerald Gallant isn't a statistical analytics guy, otherwise Chevy would can Paul in a minute and replace him with Gallant even before this miserable season is over. Hitch is not the answer long term.
Agreed that Maurice needs to go but I can't see any ST holders giving up their seats over a coach. All coaches are hired to be fired and Maurice will be one day as well. In the mean time you've given up your ticket into the building. I know a few guys on the wait list who love hearing this type of talk.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 11:00 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedPegJets View Post
Totally, not only has Buff tuned Mo out but Buff does what he does on the ice with no repercussions, don't want to play hard one day don't, what's anyone in the Jets org. going to do!~

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Seriously, do we really see Mo turning this ship around? I mean even if he gets better goaltending, it's not like there is an absence of bigger systemic problems.

I like the guy, but I don't think it's his team anymore.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Monorail for Tempe

vCash: 949
Seems like it.

His handling of the goaltending situation (Pavelec coming from AHL to start, and putting up awful numbers) was bad enough to cause a snap firing IMO. If I were on the team, I'd wonder WTF we were doing after that.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 11:45 AM
LowLefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Totally, not only has Buff tuned Mo out but Buff does what he does on the ice with no repercussions, don't want to play hard one day don't, what's anyone in the Jets org. going to do!~
Buff will tune out any coach they bring in - he couldn't care less. Buff doesn't have a problem with the coaching or system - he's going to play his way regardless and he'll drag the rest of the team and coaching staff with him - he's bad news all around.
Mo's likely gone at this point - but not because he lost the room - he never had it.

LowLefty is offline   Reply With Quote