HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the players losing faith in Maurice?

Old
03-12-2017, 07:04 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedPegJets View Post
Six years post-Atlanta Thrashers and we still have Toby Engstrom, Mark Stuart, Chris Thorburn, Dustin Buff, Blake Wheeler and Bryan Little. Pav doesn't count because he'll be a UFA at season's end. That's six ex-Thrashers who are standing in the way of the Jets 2 having a distinct identify.

The Buff's 5 year extension was a BIG mistake, but the fan outcry if he wasn't re-signed was too much for Chipman to ignore. As it was before his "contract" year, Buff is a lazy second defensive pairing defenceman who now rarely takes risks offensively which was what endeared him to Jets fans and not the "stay-at-home" mistake prone blueliner that he is.

A few years back, management unsuccessfuly tried to convert him into a right winger (his play at that forward position was a major factor in the Blackhawks' first modern day Stanley Cup win). In my workplace, if an employee didn't do as he was told, he would be given the pink slip, however in Buff's case, either Maurice or Chevy or both feared Big Buff, they ended their Buff as a forward directive and eventually re-signed the Big Guy to a 5-year, $7M average annual budget killing contract in line with "Diane" Phanoef's and Phil Kessel's albatross contracts. Chevy will have to eat a good chunk of Buff's remaining contract in order to entice another team to take him on.

Blake Wheeler and Big Buff seemed to be at odds with each other. Chevy should have picked Mark Scheif to be the captain. In the off-season, trade Wheels, Little and Buff, don't re-sign the often injured Toby guy and buy out Stuart and Thorborn.
I think the fact that Wheeler might be a bit at odds with Buff is a good thing. It shows he's not going to put up with half efforts. I have no issue with Wheeler as Captain, he works hard, plays hard and helps the kids when needed. He and Little are welcome on the team. There is a version of Buff that is welcome on the team as well but we have entered seen that guy at all this year.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Both Chevy and Canadiens' GM Marc Bergevin are disciples of Stan the Brain Bowman so they are qualified GMs. Chevy's gut feelings tell him not to extend Paul Maurice for another 2 to 3-year term. Maurice should consider his family and how he's been away from them for the past 4 years and he should make it clear to Chevy that he will move on careerwise.
Maurice's family is in Winnipeg, they bought a home here.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

When I heard on TSN 1290 that Paul Maurice wanted to put the contract extension discussion with Chevy on hold until this regular season was over, I had a new respect for the man. Although Chevy's status as the GM is uncertain as well because Mark Chipman hasn't yet extended his contract, there may have been a likelihood Chipman may have extended Maurice's contract by 2 years so that he will have 3 years total. Maurice could have done a Ron Wilson "Brian Burke extended my contract by 1 year so I don't care what you Toronto reporters think" thingy and pleaded for an extension, but he didn't. He may have wanted Jets ownership to outline their plan for the next 4 years and if it still draft and develop without adding free agents, then Maurice wants out of the Peg.

WickedPegJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Rambokala

Quote:
When I heard on TSN 1290 that Paul Maurice wanted to put the contract extension discussion with Chevy on hold until this regular season was over, I had a new respect for the man. Although Chevy's status as the GM is uncertain as well because Mark Chipman hasn't yet extended his contract, there may have been a likelihood Chipman may have extended Maurice's contract by 2 years so that he will have 3 years total. Maurice could have done a Ron Wilson "Brian Burke extended my contract by 1 year so I don't care what you Toronto reporters think" thingy and pleaded for an extension, but he didn't. He may have wanted Jets ownership to outline their plan for the next 4 years and if it still draft and develop without adding free agents, then Maurice wants out of the Peg.
If this is true, then it just confirms that this man is a master manipulator. What an absolute genius.

Rambokala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:13 PM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Maurice's family is in Winnipeg, they bought a home here.
Having a mortgage free home in Winnipeg doesn't mean Maurice won't uproot if a better head coaching job became available. Mike Keenan took a long time to sell his Philly house after he was fired and hired by the Blackhawks.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Not just you, but a general question to anyone... Why would Maurice ever want out of Winnipeg? Do you honestly think any other team in the NHL would hire him if he left Winnipeg either voluntarily or gets fired? JMO, but I don't.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I think the fact that Wheeler might be a bit at odds with Buff is a good thing. It shows he's not going to put up with half efforts. I have no issue with Wheeler as Captain, he works hard, plays hard and helps the kids when needed. He and Little are welcome on the team. There is a version of Buff that is welcome on the team as well but we have entered seen that guy at all this year.
Buff played like an elite player during his contract year. Now a days, his offence is average but his defensive is atrocious, certainly not commensurate with a $7M+ annual contract for 5 seasons. People have speculated that he misses his good buddy Andrew Ladd and that he and Wheeler do like each other. Chevy should have named Mark Scheifele the captain and Wheeler and Enstrom assistant captains and should have left Buff out of the leadership mix.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Would love to see Chevy shown the door, Maurice retained as GM and a new head coach hired!

Pretty sure Maurice understands the need for a good goalie to win something Chevy has yet to grasp!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
WickedPegJets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not just you, but a general question to anyone... Why would Maurice ever want out of Winnipeg? Do you honestly think any other team in the NHL would hire him if he left Winnipeg either voluntarily or gets fired? JMO, but I don't.
Years ago, I was so shocked that the Maple Laffs hired Paul Maurice as their head coach maybe due to the fact he once lled the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Finals against the Detroit Red Wings.

More attractive head coaching vacancies during this off season may be in Detroit, Dallas, Denver, Carolina, Tampa Bay and even Las Vegas paying more than the $1.25M pittance he's earning here in the Peg.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Having a mortgage free home in Winnipeg doesn't mean Maurice won't uproot if a better head coaching job became available. Mike Keenan took a long time to sell his Philly house after he was fired and hired by the Blackhawks.
Where is this better coaching job, in the KHL? It sure as hell won't be in the NHL, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Years ago, I was so shocked that the Maple Laffs hired Paul Maurice as their head coach maybe due to the fact he once lled the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Finals against the Detroit Red Wings.

More attractive head coaching vacancies during this off season may be in Detroit, Dallas, Denver, Carolina, Tampa Bay and even Las Vegas paying more than the $1.25M pittance he's earning here in the Peg.
You seriously believe one of these clubs would hire Maurice?

Old
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Well, Maurice is very close to breaking a major NHL coaching record (Most Career Losses)...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:57 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Well, Maurice is very close to breaking a major NHL coaching record (Most Career Losses)...
"We're number one! We're number one!".

Oh. Wait.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
gbill2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
If this is true, then it just confirms that this man is a master manipulator. What an absolute genius.
Are you saying Maurice is refusing to sign an extension until Chevy brings in a legit goaltender?

gbill2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:34 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Would love to see Chevy shown the door, Maurice retained as GM and a new head coach hired!

Pretty sure Maurice understands the need for a good goalie to win something Chevy has yet to grasp!
Wait... you want to move Maurice from a position where he chooses to play someone like Thorburn to a position where he has the power to re-sign him?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Depends on the circumstances. If he leaves now, voluntarily or otherwise I doubt he ever gets another HC job in the NHL. a) Too long a record of mediocrity. b) The Jets breeze into the PO's next year under his replacement, making him look bad.

OTOH, if he has a strong winning season next year all the years of mediocrity are forgotten and he is a coaching genius. Leave then and he would get another gig.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post

What would you think of firing Chevy and naming Maurice GM? And watch the language Sip, this is a family site.

Edit: Just realized I misread your post.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Mbraunm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Where is this better coaching job, in the KHL? It sure as hell won't be in the NHL, at least not for the foreseeable future.

You seriously believe one of these clubs would hire Maurice?
No one would hire him period.

Mbraunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:37 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
Are you saying Maurice is refusing to sign an extension until Chevy brings in a legit goaltender?

No, it just sounds like he is using good old reverse psychology to get an extensiom

Old
03-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Stej

Quote:
Quote:
No, it just sounds like he is using good old reverse psychology to get an extensiom
I'm onboard the coaching change train, but I don't believe this for a second.

Coaching ability aside, I've heard nothing but great things about him as a person (several of which were from people that I know well that have interacted with him personally). To suggest he's some sort of nefarious master manipulator is... interesting. You may think me naive, but I actually think he doesn't want to be here if he himself doesn't think he's the man for the job. He's got an incredible amount of respect for this franchise and city. I suspect he wanted to see how the season played out before agreeing to an extension, not that he was jockeying for one with reverse psychology.

In general I think coaches know when they've lost the room; I'd imagine that to be a helpless, miserable feeling.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I'm onboard the coaching change train, but I don't believe this for a second.

Coaching ability aside, I've heard nothing but great things about him as a person (several of which were from people that I know well that have interacted with him personally). To suggest he's some sort of nefarious master manipulator is... interesting. You may think me naive, but I actually think he doesn't want to be here if he himself doesn't think he's the man for the job. He's got an incredible amount of respect for this franchise and city. I suspect he wanted to see how the season played out before agreeing to an extension, not that he was jockeying for one with reverse psychology.

In general I think coaches know when they've lost the room; I'd imagine that to be a helpless, miserable feeling.
I don't think he's a bad person. Just very charismatic and obviously owner of a silver tongue. You have to have some sort of ability to talk yourself out of situations if you're still coaching in the NHL with his record.

Old
03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
mondo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbraunm View Post
No one would hire him period.
He's very well spoken, which might be what Vegas wants (even more than wins). But that's the only team that I think would consider him an option.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Everyone realizes that Maurice is under contract with the Jets for next year and can't just go sign on with Vegas or Dallas or Detroit or whoever else needs a coach this summer, right?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Everyone realizes that Maurice is under contract with the Jets for next year and can't just go sign on with Vegas or Dallas or Detroit or whoever else needs a coach this summer, right?
If I'm following the bouncing ball here: I think the hypothetical is that Maurice falls on the sword himself at season's end? Then bides his time waiting for another NHL team dying to hire a coach with a career 0.508 point percentage?

It's completely outlandish, but I'm at the point where nothing would surprise me.

Old
03-21-2017, 05:54 PM
koth

How is this thread any different from the Paul Maurice thread?

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Stej

Quote:
Not sure if you were referring to my post, but the answer in my case is yes.

Question not related to the quoted post: does anyone think he's back in a lame duck scenario next season? Gosh I hope not.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote