HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Are the players losing faith in Maurice?

Old
03-21-2017, 06:01 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
How is this thread any different from the Paul Maurice thread?
This thread is about players' concerns, the other thread is about fans' concerns. I'm thinking we also need a thread on whether management has concerns about Maurice.

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

Larkin: Coaching change is needed in Winnipeg

Matt Larkin of The Hockey News joined the Big Show for an NHL chat including how the Panthers mishandled Aaron Ekblad's concussion, the chances of a repeat for the Penguins and why the Winnipeg Jets need to make a coaching change in order to take the next step.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-129...nipeg-1.703166

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 05:56 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Fun Facts

2nd worst win% of any active coach.
3rd most losses in NHL history.
21 seasons coaching pro, 3 seasons above .600 (1 of those in KHL), 9 below .500.

Pros:
Better sense of style than Lawless.

Cons:
Spews just as much BS.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 07:29 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
I am not sure but it feels like they need a fresh voice. Despite all the challenges I thought they were very poorly coached this past season. Allot of the players have changed and the same problems persist?

My fear is the last guys to admit it are going to be Chevy and Chipman. I think Paul is the type of person they will stay loyal to for far too long.

I want to be wrong on this but I am pretty sure I am right.

Last edited by ps241: 03-24-2017 at 07:35 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 07:48 PM
10Ducky10

I honestly think that they have lost faith in their goaltenders to make a big save and not let in easy goals at such a rate. I mean really, how do you give the team faith in you when you let in easy, inopportune goals. At the end of the game and he is interviewed Helle talks about being okay with how he is playing and is playing how he wants to!!!!! Really?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 08:05 PM
cbcwpg

If you played on the Jets why would you have any problems with Maurice?

If you are a veteran you can make all the mistakes you want or just take nights off and there is no accountability. If you are a veteran, you can have a permanent water bottle with your name on it in the penalty box because you live there, and there is no accountability. If you have the talent and ability of someone way past their prime, you still get to play. Maurice is the perfect coach for these scenarios.

If anyone has lost faith in anyone... the players have lost faith in the goaltenders and have no faith that management is going to do anything about it. Same as the fans.

Most of us have played enough hockey that at some point in our lives we have found ourselves on a decent team with a goalie that is doing his best, but the ability to keep the puck out of the net just isn't there. Ok... you don't have to be a pro to go to a game, put your skates on, and just have a very disheartening feeling about the game, because you are starting the game already behind the eight-ball because of your goalie.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 08:09 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
I honestly think that they have lost faith in their goaltenders to make a big save and not let in easy goals at such a rate. I mean really, how do you give the team faith in you when you let in easy, inopportune goals. At the end of the game and he is interviewed Helle talks about being okay with how he is playing and is playing how he wants to!!!!! Really?
I think your are right and the team has probably lost some faith in the goaltending. Conversely the team should close the door and discuss how they can take 285 minutes in minor penalties knowing they suck at the PK. They could throw their goalies a bone.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 10:27 PM
voyageur
The watchful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I am not sure but it feels like they need a fresh voice. Despite all the challenges I thought they were very poorly coached this past season. Allot of the players have changed and the same problems persist?

My fear is the last guys to admit it are going to be Chevy and Chipman. I think Paul is the type of person they will stay loyal to for far too long.

I would really like that voice to be Dale Hawerchuk, as an assistant and heir apparent. Someone who is making a living coaching young players.

It infuriates me that Maurice is stuck to veterans like Thorburn. I think he is unable to think outside of the box. With a less physical, but highly skilled forward group,it is his responsibility to get the team to optimize our speed and skill. He has improved our transition and breakout game over Noel. But he still favours physical players like Thorburn and Stuart over possession players. He has to be ultimately responsible for the team's penalty penchant, and fundamentally its special teams failures.

I think his PP configurations have irked a few players.

I like Maurice, but he is too old fashioned, and does not make any cerebral in game transitions, which is frustrating, when you are losing at 4 line hockey.

I don't think the players have lost faith in him, I think the tank would have been harder if they did. I think the goalies are a bigger issue.

Something has to change in our culture of losing. I think personnel is the biggest issue, but Maurice should be on the watch. He has made conditioning a positive improvement on the team, and I think players would return to camp under his tutelage knowing what to improve on, whereas a new coach will bring alot of uncertainty to the young core emerging.

If we don't come out flying next year, it will be a huge disappointment, with the window closing, and the potential blossoming.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Mbraunm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

^^^. Maurice is this organization's new "Pavelec". One of the league's worst coaches but favoured and held onto by the organization-to the team's downfall.

Mbraunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbraunm View Post
^^^. Maurice is this organization's new "Pavelec". One of the league's worst coaches but favoured and held onto by the organization-to the team's downfall.
Yup, I think Chevy sealed his fate when he said of Paul and himself: "we are in it for the long haul." I hope by long this means May long weekend for both of them.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Yup, I think Chevy sealed his fate when he said of Paul and himself: "we are in it for the long haul." I hope by long this means May long weekend for both of them.
Maurice apparently doesn't want to talk extension until later....
Will he pull a Roy ?????

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
Maurice apparently doesn't want to talk extension until later....
Will he pull a Roy ?????
No, Roy legitimately didn't like managements direction, doesn't need the money. Paul knows this is his last stint, needs the money and nobody wants him. Totally the opposite situation. Paul wants that extension very badly. This is his last shot in the NHL, only because the Jets gave it to him, no other team would have.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Button not pulling any punches

https://soundcloud.com/hustler-lawle...on-mar-24-2017

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
It's painfully obvious the goaltending is a problem but you also need to look a little deeper. This team has issues besides it's goaltending, to believe otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand. It's performed poorly in a number of areas this year, many of which are related to it's coaching.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 03:16 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
What a dink....the Crosby slash is "collateral damage"?
He works for TSN for a reason.

Old
03-25-2017, 03:17 PM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky10 View Post
It's painfully obvious the goaltending is a problem but you also need to look a little deeper. This team has issues besides it's goaltending, to believe otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand. It's performed poorly in a number of areas this year, many of which are related to it's coaching.
I don't dispute that. I just think goaltending is head and shoulders the biggest deficiency on the team. I think with a bona fide starter that we'd be in the playoffs this year.

Old
03-25-2017, 03:18 PM
10Ducky10

How much better of a coach would Maurice look like with a 2LHD, a starting goalie and a 3rd D pairing?

Old
03-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
How much better of a coach would Maurice look like with a 2LHD, a starting goalie and a 3rd D pairing?
Depends if he could teach them how to run an effective PP, kill penalties and play more disciplined. Also depends on the type of game he has them playing, if he still insists on the coverage he runs, I don't care who he has.

Old
03-25-2017, 03:29 PM
csk

Quote:
Not at all better...

when people criticize a coach, it's because they disagree with his decisions.

If Maurice made all the same decisions, but we made the playoffs, I would still be just as unhappy with his decisions & decision making process.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't dispute that. I just think goaltending is head and shoulders the biggest deficiency on the team. I think with a bona fide starter that we'd be in the playoffs this year.
Meh, possible but I'm not sure I believe it, or think we'd get anywhere.

Old
03-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
You don't think the defensive breakdowns in front of the goalies, I mean right in front of the goalies have had any effect on them?

People here frequently talk about how a teams play suffers when they lose confidence in the goalie behind them. What about the confidence of the goalies being affected by the team coughing up the puck in front of them?

This has been a team effort.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 05:24 PM
surixon

Well the Dano scratch and subsequent posts in the game day have made me go back and look at how Maurice has fared this year vs last year and it's pretty damning imo.
2016/17 2015/16
PP% 18.5 (19) 14.8 (30)
PK% 76.5 (29) 78.4 (25)
Net% 95 93.2
GF/G 2.93 (7) 2.59 (20)
GA/G 3.16 (29) 2.88 (22)
CF% 49.08 (20) 51.39 (12)
CF%Close 48.18 (23) 51.17 (10)

While I'm sure injuries and goaltending played an role this team took a significant step back in its ability drive shot metrics, saw a very small bump in special team performance and bleed goals at far greater rate. The team likely was saved from a truly embarrassing year due to the impact offensive talent on the roster. One might speculate we shouldn't expect a similar performance next season if our possesion game stays below par. I'm not really sure how you can justify bringing Moe back after his performance this past year.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
I don't know either, but it sounds like they indeed will. At which point Maurice becomes more of a symptom than a problem.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 05:41 PM
jiho

vCash: 22357
Quote:
The team already has invested $27M on our defense and now we still need a 2LHD and 3rd D pairing? Not only are we already spent the second most in the league on D but Trouba will be getting a $5M dollar raise and Morrisey will need about a $3.5M dollar raise. We have the talent, just the coach has no system or lets the players play however they want with no direction or consequences.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

I'm not as fired up about Maurice as some others are. More of the "some concern" mindset, in the wording of that old Maurice poll.

I posted early in the year that I'd look at Maurice's record past that initial schedule insanity. Since Dec 15th, the Jets have gone 22-19-4. Which isn't great, but not a disaster. But perhaps more importantly, Maurice and the Jets pulled that off with an 89.9 sv% over that time (if my math is right). That substandard goaltending is completely out of Maurice's hands. Plus the butt-load of injuries.

I can understand some want him gone. I just wanted to give my perspective. Much like with Chevy, I view next season as being critical in my verdict on Maurice going forward. Next year should be playoffs or bust for both of them.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote