HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saros > Rinne?

Old
03-12-2017, 01:30 PM
schmiedi

vCash: 500
Saros > Rinne?

Should Saros get More Time to show his abilties?
Is Saros already on the Same level as Rinne?

schmiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Nitrous Mafia

They should start rotating more often and not just on back-to-backs.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Osprey

It'd probably be smart to use Saros more and give Rinne a bit of rest before the playoffs. Saros has shown that he's more than capable of playing important games, but, as we know, it'll be all Rinne in the playoffs, and getting him some rest might help him play more like he did in the early part of the season.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2017, 06:17 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Mafia View Post
They should start rotating more often and not just on back-to-backs.
They have been. Saros has been given quite a few games where the team had the day off before

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 01:39 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Saros has beat Rinne in every facet of both traditional and non-traditional goalie abilities (And Rinne is still an elite goalie in non-traditional goalie abilities, just compared to every other year even last year where he struggled stopping the puck, Rinne has really lost a step in non-traditional goalie abilities as well).

Saros is as elite as he cames, and he needs more starts. In his losses it wasn't his fault either, we allow way too many initial chances, and Saros still finds a way to freeze most of them before they can become chaotic.

RainierBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 02:16 AM
Mortiest Morty

Yes, Saros is better. So are around 30+ other goalies in the NHL, so it's faint praise in my opinion, but he should absolutely start over Rinne.

Mortiest Morty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 04:23 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Yes, Saros is better. So are around 30+ other goalies in the NHL, so it's faint praise in my opinion, but he should absolutely start over Rinne.
Rinne used to be very overrated in 2014-2015, but now he's one of the most underrated players in the league. People think Pavelec is better than him because Pavelec has a positive adjusted save percentage, while Rinne has a negative....

Old
03-13-2017, 08:53 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Seems like Saros plays well against the top teams too. Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Columbus, Boston, St. Louis. All quality wins for Saros.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Seems like Saros plays well against the top teams too. Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Columbus, Boston, St. Louis. All quality wins for Saros.
= Plays well under pressure like I told you. If the team plays that kind of defense in front of Saros but not in front of Rinne, it's unfair but the wins will come when 74 is in the crease and that's all that mattes. In terms of talent, I'm not ready to put Saros ahead of Rinne yet. Hoping that 2016-playoff Rinne shows up again. Based on current performance, it's probably Saros who plays in the playoffs.

But overall this season, I've felt a lot more comfortable when Juuse has been on the net. He doesn't give up softies at all and he a lot more calm. Rinne is a frustrating goalie, he makes saves nobody in this league would make but gives up a softie from the blueline. Maybe time has passed Rinne, maybe not. But like the league has shown, you don't need top-10 goalie to win the Cup.

I hope we take a serious look at the situation in the summer and acquire a solid 3rd goalie, like Budaj, to take the crease if both Finns fail to deliver.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 226
the sample size on Saros is too small to put him ahead of Rinne at this point.

03-13-2017, 01:25 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Same could've been said for Murray last year.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 01:28 PM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
= Plays well under pressure like I told you. If the team plays that kind of defense in front of Saros but not in front of Rinne, it's unfair but the wins will come when 74 is in the crease and that's all that mattes. In terms of talent, I'm not ready to put Saros ahead of Rinne yet. Hoping that 2016-playoff Rinne shows up again. Based on current performance, it's probably Saros who plays in the playoffs.

But overall this season, I've felt a lot more comfortable when Juuse has been on the net. He doesn't give up softies at all and he a lot more calm. Rinne is a frustrating goalie, he makes saves nobody in this league would make but gives up a softie from the blueline. Maybe time has passed Rinne, maybe not. But like the league has shown, you don't need top-10 goalie to win the Cup.

I hope we take a serious look at the situation in the summer and acquire a solid 3rd goalie, like Budaj, to take the crease if both Finns fail to deliver.
I actually think the team plays better defense in front of Rinne instead of Saros. I don't remember a single series of secondary chances occurring when Saros is in net, and he is much less likely to allow the initial chance as well. We're giving up way too many initial chances with Saros in net though (I mean we do with Rinne as well), but it intensifies with Saros. Thankfully we don't give up too many high danger chances with Saros in net, but still the high quality initial chances need to be reduced and I think Saros will do well in a long sample size.

Old
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
Greater than? No. Better than? Lately, yes. But greatness to me has to include sustained high performance. Dunno if he could do that, but it'll be a blast to watch.

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 03:56 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Same could've been said for Murray last year.
I feel that Pekka will almost certainly get the first start, and likely 2nd start, in the playoffs (assuming they reach the playoffs).

But I also feel that he will be on a shorter leash. If he looks bad in the first start, or just goes 0-2, I feel that Saros will be inserted to give the team a boost.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Rinne used to be very overrated in 2014-2015, but now he's one of the most underrated players in the league. People think Pavelec is better than him because Pavelec has a positive adjusted save percentage, while Rinne has a negative....
Pavelec isn't better, but plenty of others are. He's not underrated league wide at all. Tons of people still think he's at least a decent starter, which he isn't. He's not underrated by me either, he's properly rated as the once very good, now terrible goaltender that he is. A man who looks completely lost in the net >50% of the time and fights the puck like a punch drunk boxer.

I agree the sample size on Saros is small and he's very young. The sample size on Rinne being awful, however, is already quite large and grows by the day. We're right around the three year mark of awful net minding with brief hot streaks of very good to great play sprinkled in.

Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 03-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old
03-14-2017, 01:02 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Pavelec isn't better, but plenty of others are. He's not underrated league wide at all. Tons of people still think he's at least a decent starter, which he isn't. He's not underrated by me either, he's properly rated as the once very good, now terrible goaltender that he is. A man who looks completely lost in the net >50% of the time and fights the puck like a punch drunk boxer.

I agree the sample size on Saros is small and he's very young. The sample size on Rinne being awful, however, is already quite large and grows by the day. We're right around the three year mark of awful net minding with brief hot streaks of very good to great play sprinkled in.
He absolutely still is a decent starter. He's really struggled as of late, but to say he's not even a decent starter is dumb. Every goalie better than him is more than just a decent starter and can carry a team to a cup if the team itself is elite (Which our team isn't).

Old
03-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
He absolutely still is a decent starter. He's really struggled as of late, but to say he's not even a decent starter is dumb. Every goalie better than him is more than just a decent starter and can carry a team to a cup if the team itself is elite (Which our team isn't).
Wrong, completely and totally wrong. To say that everyone better than him is more than a decent starter is dumb. Rinne is a below league average starter, period, has been for the vast majority of the past 3 years. Meaning he is not a decent starter by definition. Kudos on your continued attempts to defend him however, misguided though they are.

Last edited by Mortiest Morty: 03-14-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old
03-14-2017, 03:07 AM
Armourboy

Quote:

@RStanleyNHL: Rinne's save percentage in his past 10 games:

and he didn't have a great game tonight either outside of the one stop in OT. Call him what you want to call him, but on a team with another reasonable option, he would be sitting on the bench.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 04:43 AM
schmiedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post

and he didn't have a great game tonight either outside of the one stop in OT. Call him what you want to call him, but on a team with another reasonable option, he would be sitting on the bench.

why is saros not a reasonable option?
he plays most of his games very well
he beats some top teams in the league

schmiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 06:09 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiedi View Post
Because whether you want to admit it he is still unproven, his sample size is still too small to say he is the real deal. I like him, I think he has the chance to do very well for us, but if we were in the situation that LA is in or that Pittsburgh were in Rinne would be sitting for a while.

I would like to see Saros get more playing time, that doesn't mean I'm sold he is the answer this season.

Old
03-14-2017, 06:51 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiedi View Post
I love how Saros plays. I have a ton of confidence when he's in net. Rinne has not been good the majority of the year.

However, there is no backup plan. If you go with Saros as the starter, Rinne could lose confidence. Then what if Saros flames out? You'd be stuck with no goalie capable of getting the job done.

Much safer to keep Rinne the starter for as long as possible and not make the switch until the beginning of some future season. Then if Saros were to flame out, you have sufficient time to make some sort of move.

That said, I think Saros should be getting a start about every fourth game.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Montross
Sheltered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post

People here will always deny Rinne as being a below average starting goalie in this league now. 100% looking though gold-colored glasses when it comes to him. He has had whole months of poor play; and March is shaping up to be no different.

But he will continue to get little blame as everyone else on the team is pointed at as letting him down.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
People here will always deny Rinne as being a below average starting goalie in this league now. 100% looking though gold-colored glasses when it comes to him. He has had whole months of poor play; and March is shaping up to be no different.

But he will continue to get little blame as everyone else on the team is pointed at as letting him down.
Well I tend to be in the middle, our defense needs some work, but he needs to be stopping more pucks as well. Good shots like Liane's goal lastnight are going to happen, big rebounds out in front like on the goal that got waived off shouldn't be.

I think if I had to guess that hip is bothering him. Due to this he overplays things, which leads to bad positioning, which leads to more rebounds, which leads to more goals. The super soft ones seem to have stopped in the last few games, but that doesn't mean he is doing his part either.

We could do a better job of not giving up so many odd man rushes, he could do a better job of making up for mistakes as well.

Old
03-14-2017, 08:44 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post

You must be reading a different board than I am- maybe I am crazy but he is getting plenty of criticism/blame on here

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote