HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should happen to the coaching staff?

View Poll Results: What should happen to the coaching staff?
Fire entire staff now so new coaches can use Olympic break 39 68.42%
Replace certain assistant coaches now, keep AM 7 12.28%
Fire entire staff at year end no matter how team does 2 3.51%
Take no action; re-evaluate at year end 7 12.28%
Extend AM's contract now; he's doing great! 0 0%
Extend contracts of all coaches now; they're doing great! 0 0%
Other (please specify) 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2006, 12:36 AM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
He is team pressident I thought, or is he VP. Maybe he's VP.
Leiwike is team president...DT is VP.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Leiwike is team president...DT is VP.
That's right. The southern comfort is distorting my judgement.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:42 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Actually, no

Leiweke is CEO/Governor

Taylor is President, Hockey Operations/GM

Shawn Hunter is President, Business Operations

Old
02-08-2006, 12:44 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
no worries. I just think DT gets stick here, but he's had his hands tied for quite some time. He always just brings in enough............this settles the fans and ownership, and to me he's instructed to stand pat. Believe me, he see's the same garbage we see, and he probably wanted to make a deal months ago. As for his AM *** kissing, that's another story......I don't get it.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Actually, no

Leiweke is Governor

Taylor is President - Hockey Operations/GM

Hunter is President - Business
I was close!

Old
02-08-2006, 01:14 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24
Fire DT, and let the replacement GM clean house as he sees fit.
Someone who gets it!

Here here...

hear hear...

Old
02-08-2006, 01:49 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I was part of the keep AM, fire the supporting staff crowd.

Now I say fire them all.

He did a great job back when the Kings were injured and he had players overachieving. But now that the team's healthy again, he isn't motivating his team, his game-plan is either not going through... or it is going through and it sucks, and the special teams is atrocious.

If the organization wants to focus on accountability, then it's time to start holding the coaching accountable.

Old
02-08-2006, 02:44 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Here are the people who wanted to keep AM from before.

AnThGrt, Belanger25, Big Kov, ChuckNorris*, Creeping Death, dancingtree, David A. Rainer, dbbourn, deano, Face Wash, FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us, Foz, guzmania, halco, ibleedkngs, jfont, KingBrath, KingofCrunk, Kingz4life, lakonigla, mcphersonm80, multiball, Mxpunk, Puck U, Ralph, ReigningKING, Sam, Scottkmlps, Steve_KINGS27, Tadite, TonySCV, took420s, Walzy, willie, zeppelin97, Ziggy Stardust

Still feel the same way?
I also changed my opinion a while back yet at the time I choose simply fire the assistant coachs (Van Boxmeer) and keep AM. Trust me I dont care what happens with any of our coachs since a while

Old
02-08-2006, 08:21 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
hair extensions... at least for comic relief...

Old
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
no worries. I just think DT gets stick here, but he's had his hands tied for quite some time. He always just brings in enough............this settles the fans and ownership, and to me he's instructed to stand pat. Believe me, he see's the same garbage we see, and he probably wanted to make a deal months ago. As for his AM *** kissing, that's another story......I don't get it.
DT is a company man, he wants AM to succeed because then he succeeds.

I'm sure he is making his feelings known behind closed doors, hopefully he will get his head out of AM's *** for a minute and crack some skulls!

Last edited by took420s: 02-08-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old
02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
PRMan

To me, it's still the special teams that are struggling. So I would keep AM for now and get some new Special Team coaches.

Old
02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Impressive research skillz, Reaper! I'm still in the "keep AM" camp, but hanging by a thread. I believe in his tactics *almost* all of the time and think he's doing as well as can be expected with the players at his disposal.

Here's my justification - I do NOT think that a shuffling of the current roster (meaning line changes and a few call ups) would've created a better record in the last 15 games. Therefore, the GM needs to feel most of the heat here.

I've gradually become disgusted with Dave Taylor's conservative approach and would now advocate him being 86'd. The LA market needs a better, more outspoken, risk-taking, less conservative GM - and so do the Kings. It alsmost makes me sad to write that as his contribution to the Kings (on the ice) is nothing short of phenomenal and Hall Of Fame-worthy.

AM is certainly the "face" of the current woes, but when I look at the *cause* of these issues, I end up at the GM office door. GM's in Buffalo, Calgary, & Ottawa have continually done better with less "resoruces".

Old
02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Captain Ron

The only reason I would disagree with you on Taylor multiball is because the only situations where Taylor has had complete control in his job is on draft day. And Taylor has taken this team from one with almost no good prospects to being in one of the top five (according to HF). I mean 10 years ago the Kings didn't have players like Frolov, Cammalleri, Tukonen, Tambellini, Kopitar, et al in the pipeline. The area that Taylor has really had problems is trades (or specifically...lack of them). But I do not think that Taylor has total control in this particular situation. I believe that the powers that be handcuff him a bit in this area.

Old
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
guzmania

This is the nexus of the crisis for me, the team played a heartless game. Can't have a lack of motivation. Another heartless game before the break would be inexcusable. I thought that the Gleason call pushed Andy over the edge. He should have made such a scene throwing stuff, ala Tom Webster, that he would have been tossed off the bench. That might have sent a message to the team. Keeping Avery out of the line up is another mystery to me. There is a definate chance the wheels are coming off. Something must change. It's easier to fire the coach than the team. The team is heartless, fartless and appearently smartless right now.

Last edited by guzmania: 02-08-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old
02-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
Something must change. It's easier to fire the coach than the team. The team is heartless, fartless and appearently smartless right now.
Yup. His expiration date has passed. I like the guy, but get the whole lot of them out.

Old
02-08-2006, 06:35 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Sponge, I totally agree that DT has turned draft day around. It's been an exciting reversal of fortune for us since the Kings had a *tragic* track record on draft day in the 80's and early 90's. They traded away #1s and made bad high picks regularly. I know, there are a couple of glaring exceptions over the course of a decade, but the trend was awful. Long timers should all agree on that.

I also agree that DT *and* the owners share blame for our recent skid. For me it feels like 75/25, with more going to DT. Ownership has been content to be just a bit above average for a bit too long. DT is obviously a very well-respected hockey player, but I just don't see his GM skillz breaking out. Other GMs have been able to overcome a lack of budget with astute drafting over the long term and multiple savvy trades that stockpile talent. We haven't seen that here in LA, maybe ever.

Again, it's tough to look in the direction of a guy with a retired jersey number and say "you might not be the right fit for the organ-I-zation"...

Old
02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Sponge, I totally agree that DT has turned draft day around. It's been an exciting reversal of fortune for us since the Kings had a *tragic* track record on draft day in the 80's and early 90's. They traded away #1s and made bad high picks regularly. I know, there are a couple of glaring exceptions over the course of a decade, but the trend was awful. Long timers should all agree on that.

I also agree that DT *and* the owners share blame for our recent skid. For me it feels like 75/25, with more going to DT. Ownership has been content to be just a bit above average for a bit too long. DT is obviously a very well-respected hockey player, but I just don't see his GM skillz breaking out. Other GMs have been able to overcome a lack of budget with astute drafting over the long term and multiple savvy trades that stockpile talent. We haven't seen that here in LA, maybe ever.

Again, it's tough to look in the direction of a guy with a retired jersey number and say "you might not be the right fit for the organ-I-zation"...

Maybe they should have co-GM's. One that handles all of the trades and signings and the other just handles drafting. Give Taylor the latter job.

Old
02-08-2006, 07:18 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania
This is the nexus of the crisis for me, the team played a heartless game. Can't have a lack of motivation. Another heartless game before the break would be inexcusable. I thought that the Gleason call pushed Andy over the edge. He should have made such a scene throwing stuff, ala Tom Webster, that he would have been tossed off the bench. That might have sent a message to the team. Keeping Avery out of the line up is another mystery to me. There is a definate chance the wheels are coming off. Something must change. It's easier to fire the coach than the team. The team is heartless, fartless and appearently smartless right now.
You are 100% correct. AM had a PERFECT opportunity to go ballistic and get himself thrown out of the game. I told my wife the EXACT same thing while we were watching the game last night. He wants all the players to show conviction and accountability yet didn't take the opportunity to do it himself and fire up the team.

Everyone knew where that game was headed at that point last night, and he blew it.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:51 AM
jeffreyaa

Either a big trade or a big shakeup in the coaching ranks- something needs to happen, and it's usually a hell of a lot easier to shake up the coaches. It HAS reached crisis proportions, and something needs to be done NOW before the entire season is washed away before our eyes.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
ILuvLA

Clean house now. Murray et al have lost the team.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Reaper45

I guess I need to bring my paper bag to the next home game....again.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I guess I need to bring my paper bag to the next home game....again.

You mean you are actually going to attend the next game?

You my friend have some big cajones.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
You mean you are actually going to attend the next game?

You my friend have some big cajones.
With a paper bag over my head like the last game.

http://myspace-956.vo.llnwd.net/0048...81049956_l.jpg

My friend Emily and myself.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
With a paper bag over my head like the last game.

http://myspace-956.vo.llnwd.net/0048...81049956_l.jpg

My friend Emily and myself.

That is beyond awesome Reaper!!!

My respect for you just doubled....make that tripled....

Old
02-09-2006, 01:39 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
That is beyond awesome Reaper!!!

My respect for you just doubled....make that tripled....
I told you guys I did it. I'll do it again next game too, just hopefully somone will let me sit downstairs with them for a period so that I can get on tv!

Closed Thread