HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Management and Coaching Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2017, 04:35 PM
  #26
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Damn...I actually have been clamoring for Maclean to be Dufus' replacement :/

Still his system and coaching style is 100x better than dufus' (so is anyone else's).

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 05:10 PM
  #27
Gras
Registered User
 
Gras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

Gras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 05:27 PM
  #28
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 43,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yeah, I certainly got the sense that he was saying, both, that he hamstrung the roster a bit with this defense corps and that the team should still be better than it is. But in acknowledging that his roster is at least part of the problem, he probably doesn't feel it's appropriate to fire the coach at this time. But he's going to improve the blueline and results must follow - or else.

Absent a death spiral these last 18 games, it's pretty safe to assume that Bylsma starts next season as the head coach.
Agreed.

I'm hard on Disco but we'd be right in the thick of battling for one of the top 4 spots in the division with better health. Kulikov and Jack in particular.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 10:57 PM
  #29
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yeah, I certainly got the sense that he was saying, both, that he hamstrung the roster a bit with this defense corps and that the team should still be better than it is. But in acknowledging that his roster is at least part of the problem, he probably doesn't feel it's appropriate to fire the coach at this time. But he's going to improve the blueline and results must follow - or else.

Absent a death spiral these last 18 games, it's pretty safe to assume that Bylsma starts next season as the head coach.
as much as i critize Bylsma i think its best for him to start next season. It would be too telling if he was let go coming out a rebuild. I hate his pair lineups and reinhart playing wing but i also relize this roster has been pretty banged up all season. Lets see whats on store for next season.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 12:10 AM
  #30
valet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsabre View Post
I have no problems with Murray with the trades he made or the Okposo signing. For me, the Moulson and Ennis contracts are the ones that are hamstringing this team. Maybe he can dump one of them this offseason.

I still think the Pittsburgh crew that surrounds Pegula were the main drivers of the Bylsma signing.

They put a system in place for both the Sabres and Amerks and both teams have underachieved related to roster. The passivity when they have a lead is so frustrating and may have ultimately cost them a playoff spot this year. The 5 year contract makes it more difficult to see Bylsma canned this year. If it was a 3 year deal and they were only eating the final year then I could see it happening but not with 3 years to go when the injuries card can be played for this season's wows.

The need is for a top young NHL dman and if ever there was a time where a couple may be available it will be this summer with the expansion draft and a flat cap.

If Murray can grab that needed dman and somehow shed a couple of Ennis, Gorges, Moulson and give this team a little more flexibility as well as opening up a couple spots up front for the kids then that is a successful offseason in my books. Next year is a playoffs or bust season.
I agree with most of what you're saying (the Okposo deal, Ennis, Moulson, and potential off-season moves), but how is next year a playoffs or bust year? Or are you talking exclusively in terms of whether Bylsma needs to get shown the door?

valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:09 AM
  #31
ThunderD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
For me, my view of Tim is largely based on what he chooses to do with Dan this off-season. I still believe the roster is better than what they've shown for the majority of this year, and I want to see them under a new coach. If Tim makes some moves to improve the defense and brings in a new head coach, I'll still support him. If he chooses to go into next season with Dan still behind the bench he's going to start losing my support.
I was originally going to reply that I like this by Mylz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
From listening to Murray last night it sounds like he feels not getting the D this team needed is on him. My take is that Murray brings in some D during the offseason and if the team is still in the same place in the standings he will fire Bylsma at some point during the season next year.
Unfortunately this makes sense. The problem is that we won't be so bad to warrant a mid season firing, but we won't be so good that I can be happy with this stifling coaching where we sit back so much and don't take advantage of the best skills of our best players.

ThunderD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 02:33 AM
  #32
SatanwasaSlovak
Registered User
 
SatanwasaSlovak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Malmö, Skåne
Country: Denmark
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperCam View Post
What's the difference?

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 07:19 AM
  #33
truthbluth
Registered User
 
truthbluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
I'm oddly encouraged by GMTM's mentioning that he had a closed door meeting with the coaching staff. Is it absurd to think that Bylsma could evolve? He's obviously smart and hard working. If he takes the summer to simple lift the system and start to use the Sabres skill and speed, he could become the better Coach we all want.

As for Murray, the shadows of the tank still loom large on this roster. Its hard to fault him too much without acknowledging that it brought us Eichel. But he's really done a **** job of building the blue line. Bogosian was an outright mistake. Kulikov might have been bad luck. Gorges was a tank commander, so GMTM gets a pass. Franson was arguably his best blue line acquisition, which says a lot.

His forwards have fared better, but aren't without warts either. O'Reilly, Okposo, Kane, Gionta on the good, Moulson, Ennis (resigning) on the bad.

I won't try to evaluate his scouting, but it sure looks good so far.

So far, he still seems to be a good scout that is learning the job of GM.

truthbluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 07:29 AM
  #34
Aladyyn
victim of changes
 
Aladyyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Czech Republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 5,788
vCash: 500
Ennis got ****ed by injuries. Moulson's rapid decline was unexpected (at least I didn't expect it. At the time I didn't mind the Moulson signing so I won't ride Murray for it in hindsight. I liked the Kuli acquisition, again, the move didn't really work out in the end but the thinking behind it was sound. Not every move will work out in the end but as long as they make sense I'm cool with them.

As for Bylsma evolving, he is known to be stubborn and arrogant. Don't see that changing this late into his NHL coaching career.

Aladyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 08:19 AM
  #35
LaxSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 2667
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 03:01 PM
  #36
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
What will it take for Bylsma to get fired? In your guys honest opinion when is TM gonna kick this guy to the curb??

I honestly will judge TM big time if he doesn't let him go after the season. Starting off next year, no matter how many or how few games is detrimental to this team. The guy is not only known to be arrogant, but he's a true idiot at coaching. It's just so frustrating keeping up with this team during the tank years, and the mediocre years before that...only to now keep up with when this team is going to actually get rid of this coach. You can put a bag of crap behind the bench and I'm sure that would be better than having Bylsma.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:27 PM
  #37
BiPolarBear
Registered User
 
BiPolarBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,670
vCash: 500
I'm watching the Toronto Marlies, they lost all their 'A' prospects to the Leafs this year and they're still playing exciting offensive hockey and will make the playoffs while the Amerks have star AHL vets like Cal O'Reilly and Cole Schneider, prospects like Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues, Nylander and Fasching and they totally suck.

I would really give Sheldon Keefe some serious consideration when we are hiring the next Sabres coach. He's from Tim Murray's neck of the woods, Ottawa area, I wonder if he's on Tim's radar.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
  #38
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
I'm watching the Toronto Marlies, they lost all their 'A' prospects to the Leafs this year and they're still playing exciting offensive hockey and will make the playoffs while the Amerks have star AHL vets like Cal O'Reilly and Cole Schneider, prospects like Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues, Nylander and Fasching and they totally suck.

I would really give Sheldon Keefe some serious consideration when we are hiring the next Sabres coach. He's from Tim Murray's neck of the woods, Ottawa area, I wonder if he's on Tim's radar.
I like Keefe, young guy who could bring some energy to this team. If they're playing some exciting offensive hockey after losing all those top prospects that's pretty impressive.

At this point, I'd take anyone and anything behind the bench besides Dufus!

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 06:50 PM
  #39
Slapshot85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsabre View Post
I have no problems with Murray with the trades he made or the Okposo signing. For me, the Moulson and Ennis contracts are the ones that are hamstringing this team. Maybe he can dump one of them this offseason.

I still think the Pittsburgh crew that surrounds Pegula were the main drivers of the Bylsma signing.

They put a system in place for both the Sabres and Amerks and both teams have underachieved related to roster. The passivity when they have a lead is so frustrating and may have ultimately cost them a playoff spot this year. The 5 year contract makes it more difficult to see Bylsma canned this year. If it was a 3 year deal and they were only eating the final year then I could see it happening but not with 3 years to go when the injuries card can be played for this season's wows.

The need is for a top young NHL dman and if ever there was a time where a couple may be available it will be this summer with the expansion draft and a flat cap.

If Murray can grab that needed dman and somehow shed a couple of Ennis, Gorges, Moulson and give this team a little more flexibility as well as opening up a couple spots up front for the kids then that is a successful offseason in my books. Next year is a playoffs or bust season.
The Moulson deal was tough due to the required floor of the salary cap.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 07:07 PM
  #40
TehDoak
Forgot About Z
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 23,269
vCash: 903
I honestly don't believe either will get fired this offseason, unless the team goes like 2-16 down the stretch or something.

If Murray "fixes" the blueline (by adding 2 top 4 d-men this summer) and the team still has the same struggles (failing to hold onto leads, getting stuck in the zone for long stretches, etc) then Bylsma likely gets the ax if the team is floating around the .500 mark 20-30 games into the season.

If the new coach fails to make the playoffs, both him and Murray are likely gone next summer.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 08:43 PM
  #41
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
this ******* idiot coach is gonna ruin ROR's life. Throw him right out there all game long...not like he needs any rest at all....

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:10 PM
  #42
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
this ******* idiot coach is gonna ruin ROR's life. Throw him right out there all game long...not like he needs any rest at all....
Not really trying to argue this because well.... it's Blysma we are talking about....

But I never met a player who responded "Coach, take it easy on me, I'm kinda tired..."

So what I am getting at is that players are the last ones to recognize their own deficiencies and I'm pretty sure RoR loves every second of ice time he's being given (and thinks it makes him a stronger rather than weaker player....)

And nobody rested Gretzky much either..... (Wayne was a machine.... ) Maybe Disco has the jersey numbers confused (99 vs 90)?

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:42 PM
  #43
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,149
vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
this ******* idiot coach is gonna ruin ROR's life. Throw him right out there all game long...not like he needs any rest at all....
What are you whining about? He played like 19:30 in regulation, which is about two minutes below his average and hardly remarkable for a 1st line player. Then he played special teams, standing in one zone or the other, for overtime. Gonna whine about Jack's ice time, too, seeing as how he played two seconds more than ROR?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:46 PM
  #44
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Not really trying to argue this because well.... it's Blysma we are talking about....

But I never met a player who responded "Coach, take it easy on me, I'm kinda tired..."

So what I am getting at is that players are the last ones to recognize their own deficiencies and I'm pretty sure RoR loves every second of ice time he's being given (and thinks it makes him a stronger rather than weaker player....)

And nobody rested Gretzky much either..... (Wayne was a machine.... ) Maybe Disco has the jersey numbers confused (99 vs 90)?
I understand where you're coming from...but I put this on the coach. Any half dimwit idiotic coach would know to take ROR out (and Risto + Gorges). You put in someone else who can win a face off, and you put your next 2 best defenders in. Them at 100% is better than the other 3 who are absolutely gassed. They weren't just tired...they literally looked dead..ROR could barely move his feet, I honestly felt bad for him (then I realized he makes 7.5M a year and i didn't feel bad anymore lol).

I feel you where you're coming from, I think we're in agreement. No player is gonna say take me out, these guys all love playing on the big stage. But coaches gotta know better...plain and simple.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:48 PM
  #45
jvirk
Registered User
 
jvirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What are you whining about? He played like 19:30 in regulation, which is about two minutes below his average and hardly remarkable for a 1st line player. Then he played special teams, standing in one zone or the other, for overtime. Gonna whine about Jack's ice time, too, seeing as how he played two seconds more than ROR?
Oh be quiet, you know darn well I'm not whining about his ice time..I'm arguing about him being over played in a very key situation that he (and his line mates) shouldn't of been out there.

Sorry, didn't mean to criticize the coach you have such a man crush on.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2017, 09:49 PM
  #46
Gordo21*
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What are you whining about? He played like 19:30 in regulation, which is about two minutes below his average and hardly remarkable for a 1st line player. Then he played special teams, standing in one zone or the other, for overtime. Gonna whine about Jack's ice time, too, seeing as how he played two seconds more than ROR?
Listen, in general the guy has a good point. Too much ice for the guy, plain and simple. Girgensons can take faceoffs I think? Not that I want to go back in time, but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that Ruff did a better job getting everyone involved in the game.

I don't care how much money you make, who GMTM signed, blah blah whatever whatever, you need to get more guys involved.

Girgensons comes to mind here. I know he doesn't score. But he's fast, he's strong and he could easily take some of O'Reilly's ice.

Gordo21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 02:01 AM
  #47
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 29,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo21 View Post
Listen, in general the guy has a good point. Too much ice for the guy, plain and simple. Girgensons can take faceoffs I think? Not that I want to go back in time, but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that Ruff did a better job getting everyone involved in the game.

I don't care how much money you make, who GMTM signed, blah blah whatever whatever, you need to get more guys involved.

Girgensons comes to mind here. I know he doesn't score. But he's fast, he's strong and he could easily take some of O'Reilly's ice.
Girgensons is the opposite of strong, especially as it pertains to strength on his skates. He gets rag dolled off the puck with relative ease.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 09:22 AM
  #48
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 43,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Girgensons is the opposite of strong, especially as it pertains to strength on his skates. He gets rag dolled off the puck with relative ease.
He has gotten hammered with big hits at times and been in multiple crazy collisions and has fallen. But getting "ragdolled off the puck with relative ease" puts forth the idea that he can't hold onto the puck. Which is simply not the case.


Last edited by joshjull: 03-05-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Went on a tangent
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 07:07 PM
  #49
SharkInABoloTie
Registered User
 
SharkInABoloTie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Flori-bama
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Is it time for the torches and pitchforks? I wanted to give Murray the benefit of the doubt, but at this point, I would have no problem with everyone being **** canned. Terry, do something by the time we get to the off season. You got called out for the Bills being a clown show, and now the Sabres are looking no better.

EDIT: Punctuation

SharkInABoloTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2017, 07:22 PM
  #50
Lumpjaw
Registered User
 
Lumpjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 157
vCash: 500

Lumpjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.