HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Management and Coaching Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2017, 10:14 PM
  #76
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
I have a question, has anyone ever seen a coach hand over the board to the players during a timeout and have them draw up a play? We have seen this with Eichel and Risto. Seems odd to me.
Yes. I see that a few times a year with various teams/coaching staff.

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 10:17 PM
  #77
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,066
vCash: 500
Conventional wisdom would say he gets until the middle of next year at least. His team met expectations last year, and isn't imploding this year. The GM is taking heat for the roster. Injuries were a factor. The coachs flaws were well known at the time of hire.

I'd be a little surprised if he's out in 2017. Pleased, obviously, but surprised.

haseoke39 is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 10:45 PM
  #78
Dingo44
Top 4 D Can Wait
 
Dingo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greensboro, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Don't forget the power of the player exit interviews. If the franchise player, his running mate, and a few others vent frustrations to GMTM, that won't be taken lightly. If Bylsma isn't fired over the summer, he'll be on a short leash.

I was a team hockey practice and watched the recording. I knew once they went 1-2-2 and into the shell, it was over. That was at the start of the second period.
I'm 100% counting on the end of year interviews to do Disco Dan in.

Dingo44 is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 10:57 PM
  #79
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Last season they closed well playing at a 90 pt pace over the last half of the season to build on.

This year injuries hurt the defense and eichel being out for the time hurt too.

The thing that jumps out at me....

I have not compiled the data but this season how many times have these happened..

1. Came away without 2 points in games they had 2+ lead? Number of games and lost points

2. Lost 3rd period leads

3. They lost games in regulation when tied in 3rd.

4 poor shootout record.


With a modest improvement here they likely gain 10-12 pts

Djp is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 11:02 PM
  #80
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Last season they closed well playing at a 90 pt pace over the last half of the season to build on.

This year injuries hurt the defense and eichel being out for the time hurt too.

The thing that jumps out at me....

I have not compiled the data but this season how many times have these happened..

1. Came away without 2 points in games they had 2+ lead? Number of games and lost points

2. Lost 3rd period leads

3. They lost games in regulation when tied in 3rd.

4 poor shootout record.


With a modest improvement here they likely gain 10-12 pts
Babcock leads all coaches in blown 2+ goal leads this year. Interesting.

Sabre Dance is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 11:31 PM
  #81
BiPolarBear
Registered User
 
BiPolarBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Almost every team forum I read on here is the same, a good portion, sometimes more sometimes less of the fan base has a big problem with their coach. new coaches who are successful are the only exception. there are lots of posters on the Leafs board who are critical of Babcock.

It doesn't excuse Bylsma, he's universally regarded as a bad coach. I don't think he will get another coaching job in the NHL. He'd make a good college coach.

BiPolarBear is offline  
Old
03-05-2017, 11:44 PM
  #82
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 720
Bylsma will get another coaching job guaranteed, I'd bet quite a bit on it. All sports are a carousel when it comes to coaching, be it NFL, NHL, Or the NBA. There are so many retreads it makes it hard for a coach to break into the league. No chance that Bylsma isn't coaching again in the NHL. He has a cup, one of the highest winning %s in NHL history and a Jack Adams. Even if we know he sucks he will get another chance. Look at Lindy, he got hired relatively soon after being fired. With 31 franchises and several openings a year he will get another chance. He may be out of work for a full season or even two but eventually someone will come knocking. And I send my condolences in advance to whoever that team is. Truthfully, the team constructed is pretty bad so I'm not one of those blame Bylsma for everything people but he does need to go. With Murray. Murray and Bylsmas fate needs to be tied to the hip.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 01:00 AM
  #83
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
Bylsma will get another coaching job guaranteed, I'd bet quite a bit on it. All sports are a carousel when it comes to coaching, be it NFL, NHL, Or the NBA. There are so many retreads it makes it hard for a coach to break into the league. No chance that Bylsma isn't coaching again in the NHL. He has a cup, one of the highest winning %s in NHL history and a Jack Adams. Even if we know he sucks he will get another chance. Look at Lindy, he got hired relatively soon after being fired. With 31 franchises and several openings a year he will get another chance. He may be out of work for a full season or even two but eventually someone will come knocking. And I send my condolences in advance to whoever that team is. Truthfully, the team constructed is pretty bad so I'm not one of those blame Bylsma for everything people but he does need to go. With Murray. Murray and Bylsmas fate needs to be tied to the hip.
BIf Bylsma is fired from buffali before the end of calendar year 2017 he will NOT get another NHL head coaching job unless he proves something in college or he happens to be given a job mid season being promoted from asst after a head coach he worked with getsfired.

In general you get 2 chances to be a head coach unless you have proven to win places before.

There is an understanding that a coaches life span I'd around 5-7 yrs before he becomes the sacraficial lamb.

If in that 5-7 yrs he left teams to advance in playoffs he will get jobs elsewhere.

Many look at Bylsma ad lucky having a rudderless talented team in Pittsburgh he stepped into. Had he came on in Pittsburgh in 2005-06 and then left pittsburgh to a cup it would have meant slot more than him just stepping in and then win the cup.

If bellichek failed in NE he wouldn't have gotten a 3rd shot.

Fisher will get a 4rd shot because he did very good in TN then had problems in LA. Unsure how much he was involved in player transactions in the Rams.

Failed head coaches usually get regular jobs as coordinators.

Djp is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 01:34 AM
  #84
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 720
The Bills literally hired and then fired a retread. Most mediocre to average head coaches who get fired have to become coordinators yes...but coaches with winning records in the NFL just get hired in new spots. Which is what happened to Ruff and what will happen to Bylsma. At worst he becomes an assistant head coach for a year, runs the PP, a team sees his PP doing great and looks at his coaching record and think he's a good option. Buffalo got swindled, another team will too. To think Bylsma never gets another head coaching job in the NHL when he's still very young for a coach is just false. This isn't to say he deserves it quite the contrary but it's just the name of the game. How many cup winning Jack Adams winning coaches with a career win % like Bylsma never got another chance after being fired from his second team?

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 01:41 AM
  #85
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 29,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Almost every team forum I read on here is the same, a good portion, sometimes more sometimes less of the fan base has a big problem with their coach. new coaches who are successful are the only exception. there are lots of posters on the Leafs board who are critical of Babcock.

It doesn't excuse Bylsma, he's universally regarded as a bad coach. I don't think he will get another coaching job in the NHL. He'd make a good college coach.
The same problems that plague him here would plague him anywhere, college included. But hey... If Joe Sacco can consistently find a job as an assistant coach, Bylsma can, too

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 04:20 AM
  #86
HeartforReinheart
Registered User
 
HeartforReinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frankfurt
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 861
Bylsma will be here to start next year. People should come to terms with that or pick up signs and head down to the Arena and protest.

HeartforReinheart is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 05:25 AM
  #87
Hans Gruber
Shoot Ze Glass!
 
Hans Gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
After that 3rd goal last night that was an obvious high stick, some part of me deep down expected Doofus to show some emotion on the bench, throw a stick, tell off a ref, but nope... he just stood there like one of the trees from Lord of the Rings.

Makes me pine for the days of Lindy...

Hans Gruber is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 06:19 AM
  #88
kummelweck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 16,576
vCash: 50
what more does Murray want to see before he fires blysma?

kummelweck is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 07:23 AM
  #89
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kummelweck View Post
what more does Murray want to see before he fires blysma?
What good will it do at this point to fire the guy?

OkimLom is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 07:25 AM
  #90
Myllz
#justbogothings
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
What good will it do at this point to fire the guy?
Depends on who Murray likes as a replacement. If that guy is available now he could come in and get the guys playing on his system for a few weeks.

That's about it, though. Makes more sense to wait until the off-season when more options are available.

Myllz is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
  #91
Clock
Registered User
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 22,177
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'll turn on Murray if Bylsma isn't fired before next season.
Yeah. They've had enough time. It's time for some results or a change in direction.

Clock is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:14 AM
  #92
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 50
We're currently on pace for just about the same number of points as last year. I'd hope no improvement would be reason enough for Murray to replace Bylsma, but I'm afraid it won't be. The injuries and holes on D will be blamed. It could cost Murray, though, if he doesn't figure it out soon enough.

Montag DP is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:19 AM
  #93
Myllz
#justbogothings
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
We're currently on pace for just about the same number of points as last year. I'd hope no improvement would be reason enough for Murray to replace Bylsma, but I'm afraid it won't be. The injuries and holes on D will be blamed. It could cost Murray, though, if he doesn't figure it out soon enough.
The only injury that could even be used lately is Kulikov. The team still looks terrible even with a relatively healthy roster. Injuries was an excuse earlier this season, but it isn't for the full season.

Myllz is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:30 AM
  #94
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The only injury that could even be used lately is Kulikov. The team still looks terrible even with a relatively healthy roster. Injuries was an excuse earlier this season, but it isn't for the full season.
Oh, I agree with you there, but I was putting it in the context of the final record, which includes the whole year. That's how I think management will evaluate it.

Montag DP is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:41 AM
  #95
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 15,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
Babcock leads all coaches in blown 2+ goal leads this year. Interesting.
This is a pretty meaningless data point without the percentages.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:46 AM
  #96
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Almost every team forum I read on here is the same, a good portion, sometimes more sometimes less of the fan base has a big problem with their coach. new coaches who are successful are the only exception. there are lots of posters on the Leafs board who are critical of Babcock.

It doesn't excuse Bylsma, he's universally regarded as a bad coach. I don't think he will get another coaching job in the NHL. He'd make a good college coach.
That's because most in season firings have to do with a GM believing the team needs a spark, not so much a change in system.

Boston got a boost firing Julien. Montreal gets a boost hiring Julien.

Sabre Dance is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 08:46 AM
  #97
TehDoak
He sure has a
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Big Head
Country: United States
Posts: 23,645
vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'll turn on Murray if Bylsma isn't fired before next season.
It's not just murray's decision.

TehDoak is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:02 AM
  #98
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
It's not just murray's decision.
Don't take this personally, but, Oh god, not this argument again.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just know what this type of comment leads to...

OkimLom is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:18 AM
  #99
pigpen65
Registered User
 
pigpen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
It's not just murray's decision.
Who's decision is it?

pigpen65 is offline  
Old
03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
  #100
Myllz
#justbogothings
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
It's not just murray's decision.
Irrelevant. Murray's responsible.

Myllz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.