HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Victor Antipin signs with Buffalo

Old
03-31-2017, 03:07 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
If Antipin comes anywhere close to how Zaitsev played in his first year after leaving the KHL then that would be a gigantic boon to the blue line. I'd be happy if he developed into a solid and steady second pairing dman. Considering he was pretty much a free asset if he can play 19-20 minutes a night and really solifidy the second pairing that could help this team immensely.

In 18-19 imagine a left side of

McCabe
Antipin
Guhle

And then the right side of

Risto
X
Bogosian

With the RD2 being someone Murray acquires this summer be it a trade with Vegas or possibly an Alzner or Shattenkirk signing (unlikely)

I'd prefer to acquire a legit LD1 but if Antipin is the real deal and we know that McCabe is at the very least a solid top 4 dman our left side can be locked down for awhile. Guhle is the real wild card, I think he has the ability to really surprise us and possibly be a legit top pairing dman. His combine #s were off the charts, he is one of the most athletic players in the entire league. He likely won't put up the necessary #s to be considered a true franchise #1 dman but I can see a ceiling for him where he can play 22-23 minutes a night on both special team units, move the puck up ice with his excellent skating/crisp breakout passes and provide ~30 points a season. I'd love if Guhle exceeded expectations and we had a Guhle-Risto top pairing for a decade. Anitipin looks to be the prototypical second pairing dman in the limited videos I have seen.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
If Antipin comes anywhere close to how Zaitsev played in his first year after leaving the KHL then that would be a gigantic boon to the blue line. I'd be happy if he developed into a solid and steady second pairing dman. Considering he was pretty much a free asset if he can play 19-20 minutes a night and really solifidy the second pairing that could help this team immensely.

In 18-19 imagine a left side of

McCabe
Antipin
Guhle

And then the right side of

Risto
X
Bogosian

With the RD2 being someone Murray acquires this summer be it a trade with Vegas or possibly an Alzner or Shattenkirk signing (unlikely)

I'd prefer to acquire a legit LD1 but if Antipin is the real deal and we know that McCabe is at the very least a solid top 4 dman our left side can be locked down for awhile. Guhle is the real wild card, I think he has the ability to really surprise us and possibly be a legit top pairing dman. His combine #s were off the charts, he is one of the most athletic players in the entire league. He likely won't put up the necessary #s to be considered a true franchise #1 dman but I can see a ceiling for him where he can play 22-23 minutes a night on both special team units, move the puck up ice with his excellent skating/crisp breakout passes and provide ~30 points a season. I'd love if Guhle exceeded expectations and we had a Guhle-Risto top pairing for a decade. Anitipin looks to be the prototypical second pairing dman in the limited videos I have seen.
While the UFA market isn't great, it's pretty much exclusively on the left side. Even after adding Antipin I hope we add one of the solid old second pairing left dmen on a 2-3 year deal. Then all we have to do is trade for Tanev to round out of d corp... easy

McCabe-Risto
UFA-Tanev
Antipin-Bogo

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:41 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 835
Quote:

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:48 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 835
@BJWilsonWGR - Thursday, March 30 -
Viktor Antipin and Metallurg Magnitogorsk will look to complete a sweep of Ak Bars later today in the KHL Conference Finals.
If Magnitogorsk wins, they'll face SKA Saint Petersburg in Gagarin Cup Final. SKA just swept Lokomotiv in their Conference Finals matchup.
Magnitogorsk takes a 1-0 lead - 5:30 into the first period with a PP goal from Kovar.
Viktor Antipin with a nice breakup on a 2-on-1. Positioned well, gets the stick down to block the pass attempt.
This after he was up below the faceoff dots in the offensive zone. Got back to cover the pinching dman trying to keep the puck in.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-31-2017 at 12:55 PM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
BiPolarBear

vCash: 500
If he signs he's on the team - I don't see a KHL player of his class coming over here on a 2-way contract. Murray has guaranteed him a spot.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 03:15 PM
jvirk

If so then he fills a need for us and hopefully if Guhle is the 3rd pairing next season that makes Gorges the 7th defenseman.

We still need a RHD behind Risto (ex: Tanev) that can log heavy defensive minutes. But if Antipin pans out, that's a solid signing (big IF).

McCabe-Risto
Antipin-xxxx (ex: Tanev)
Guhle-Bogosian

I still think we draft one of the top defenseman in this class in the draft though.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 03:21 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post

I still think we draft one of the top defenseman in this class in the draft though.
Me too but safe assumption is that's a three year investment before a 2017 draftee is playing serious minutes and maybe more before he's a big factor.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 04:04 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
If he signs he's on the team - I don't see a KHL player of his class coming over here on a 2-way contract. Murray has guaranteed him a spot.
There's a 100% chance he'll be signed to a 2-way contract.

That said, I doubt he'll play in the AHL. He'll make the team or go back to Russia.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 04:52 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
There's a 100% chance he'll be signed to a 2-way contract
Why is this?

Thanks.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 05:00 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Interesting to see that ToI. He and Risto can split all the icetime.

03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Why is this?

Thanks.
He's 24. He has to sign an ELC.

Old
03-31-2017, 05:11 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

I'll try to answer.

As a 24yo both by his birth certificate and in terms of age for purpose of CBA, he would be waiver exempt for 2 years from signing his NHL SPC or for 60 NHL games, whichever comes first.

He has several seasons / couple hundred games professional experience in the KHL but it matters not as regards his waiver exemption / eligibility as he has not played those KHL games while under NHL contract.

Neither BUF nor any NHL team would give up that waiver exemption, regardless of what Murray or Antipin may think of his (Antipin's) ability to make and stick with the Sabres.

Panarin signed a 2-year contract with Chicago. I would expect Antipin to do something similar. It may or may not contain an "out" clause like Panarin's did which allowed him to return to Russia if he (Antipin) fails to make the Sabres out of camp. If that was the case, and Antipin returned to KHL, his games played there WOULD count down against his waiver exemption in the NHL.

edit: and what dotcom said - he's obligated to sign an ELC, which is 2-way. Term is 2 years for 24yo. Like Panarin's, Antipin's could be extended early.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 05:36 PM
dotcommunism

ELCs are 1 year for 24 year olds. While Antipin will count as a 24 year old for the purposes of signing his first NHL SPC, he will not count as a 24 year old for the purposes of waivers.
A player's signing age is his age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signed. A player's age for waiver purposes, however, is the age he turns in the calendar year of the Entry Draft preceding the League Year in which his first NHL contract begins.
So Antipin will count as a 25 year old for the purposes of waivers, which means he would be exempt for one full year, regardless of the number of games he played.

As another note, "games played" for the purposes of waiver exemption only include NHL games.

Old
03-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
If so then he fills a need for us and hopefully if Guhle is the 3rd pairing next season that makes Gorges the 7th defenseman.

We still need a RHD behind Risto (ex: Tanev) that can log heavy defensive minutes. But if Antipin pans out, that's a solid signing (big IF).

McCabe-Risto
Antipin-xxxx (ex: Tanev)
Guhle-Bogosian

Antipin better have been signed to start Guhle in ROC. Even with Antipin, I want another top-4 LHD.

xxxxx-Risto
McCabe-xxxxx
Antipin-Bogo
x Gorges/Falk

Ideally, Bogo is off the team, but that's a different discussion.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Djp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
He's 24. He has to sign an ELC.
Isn't that what the s8gn3d Kasdorf to...he was I think 24 and his elc was 1 yr which was burned because he played a game ???

So He Would Just Sign A 1 Yr ELC contract ?? Then he should be able to sign to whatever is negotiated in 2018 ???

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Antipin better have been signed to start Guhle in ROC. Even with Antipin, I want another top-4 LHD.

xxxxx-Risto
McCabe-xxxxx
Antipin-Bogo
x Gorges/Falk

Ideally, Bogo is off the team, but that's a different discussion.
I'm looking forward to you hating next season no matter what they do.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 07:39 PM
BiPolarBear

Antipin has to sign a 1 year ELC? Meaning he can only make like $900K or so? i know bonuses but base salary.

And how many seasons would he have to put in in the NHL before he is a UFA?

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:00 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Antipin has to sign a 1 year ELC? Meaning he can only make like $900K or so? i know bonuses but base salary.

And how many seasons would he have to put in in the NHL before he is a UFA?
He'd be eligible for group 3 unrestricted free agency in 2020.

And yes, he'd be subject to the ELC max of $925k.

Old
03-31-2017, 08:03 PM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

Just popped in to say that I hope Murray doesn't rely on Antipin being good. If he signs in Buffalo, great. If he's a top 4 guy, even better. But I still want to see a trade for a quality defenseman. If they can get the defense issue settled then I have no doubt that Buffalo will be going places and people can stop debating on whether Murray is a competent GM.

Workensons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:11 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

I expect Antipin is not Murray's only move between now and next season.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I'm looking forward to you hating next season no matter what they do.
Cool story.

We should totally just count on a guy in his first year in NA and a former 2nd round pick in his rookie year to cure all that ails our left side. And if one or both fall on their face at least we'll have...Gorges and Falk.

You'd be looking forward to that left side, huh?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Adding Antipin, one UFA D, and one D in a trade sounds like the perfect plan to me...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 05:22 AM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
When can he signed?

Last edited by HeartforReinheart: 04-01-2017 at 05:36 AM.
HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 06:49 AM
Onry

You guys keep leaving Kulikov off the list going forward as a certainty. All we hear from the front office is that Kulikov was seriously hurt and is now feeling/playing better. What are the odds he's firming up in the team's future, and is a major factor in the decision of Antipin to come here? Another reason Kulikov stays?

Onry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 07:20 AM
kummelweck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onry View Post
You guys keep leaving Kulikov off the list going forward as a certainty. All we hear from the front office is that Kulikov was seriously hurt and is now feeling/playing better. What are the odds he's firming up in the team's future, and is a major factor in the decision of Antipin to come here? Another reason Kulikov stays?
I'm thinking they would have had a contract in place already, though the sabres may be waiting to see how he does these last 5. The other thing you hear about Kulikov is that he never integrated into the team and felt isolated because of his injury, and may be looking for a fresh start.

I would be in favor, but I think the odds are against it.

kummelweck is offline   Reply With Quote