HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Viktor Antipin to sign with Buffalo

Old
04-01-2017, 07:39 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onry View Post
You guys keep leaving Kulikov off the list going forward as a certainty. All we hear from the front office is that Kulikov was seriously hurt and is now feeling/playing better. What are the odds he's firming up in the team's future, and is a major factor in the decision of Antipin to come here? Another reason Kulikov stays?
You don't try to dump a player for anything you can get without first clarifying that both sides are moving on. And if you're the player, that's not where you want to be either.

Color me shocked if he stays. He'd have to discover the market was nothing for him, which would be pretty tough for a D with his track record.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

I like the idea of Kulikov - Antipin next year. Maybe there is some connection we don't know about. They are about the same age. Antipin plays the right side in The KHL.

McCabe - Ristolainen
Kulikov - Antipin
Guhle - Bogosian

Not ideal, but they can skate. Change the coach and you may have something.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
I like the idea of Kulikov - Antipin next year. Maybe there is some connection we don't know about. They are about the same age. Antipin plays the right side in The KHL.

McCabe - Ristolainen
Kulikov - Antipin
Guhle - Bogosian

I think its something to try to work with here.

I take Hamilton's "Kulikov hates it here" angle with a grain of salt. But adding another Russian, who could at least start off on a pair with Kulikov could be intriguing for Dmitri.

He didnt have a great year, not sure if that will really change the market for him as a UFA as its obviously thin on D, but Maybe theres an opportunity here for Murray to get him back.

Re-signing Kulikov and bringing in another D via trade would be enough for me.

Risto-McCabe
Antipin-Kulikov
X-Bogo

Lets Guhle find his game in the AHL. Gorges as the 7 if he can't be moved. Falk in Rochester as the first call-up.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Did some quick research, Kulikov - Antipin was a pair in the 2015 World Championships. They won silver.

Old
04-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Did some quick research, Kulikov - Antipin was a pair in the 2015 World Championships. They won silver.
Hopefully there's more to it than just teammates for a tournament.

Maybe these guys are friends who are looking to play together in the NHL?

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Hopefully there's more to it than just teammates for a tournament.

Maybe these guys are friends who are looking to play together in the NHL?
There is obviously a relationship there. I'm not sure if that's why he chose Buffalo. It would make sense. I really want them to re-sign Kulikov. I take his poor season as an opportunity to get a #4 D locked up at a decent price.

Old
04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
I like the idea of Kulikov - Antipin next year...
Not trying to give you a hard time, but I farking HATE the idea of Kulikov-Antipin next year. All that is - one or both - is a lame patch-up job instead of the significant upgrade this D-corps needs. It doesn't need Fowler, it doesn't need Brodin...this D-corps needs BOTH those guys or two players of similar quality to drag this roster into being a serious playoff contender. I mean a team that can fight for a Cup appearance.

Along with Dufus sticking around, this is my other litmus test for whether I give two damns about next season. Adding some random bargain 4th D-man at best is a failure on TM's part. I know he's going to try for more, but it's probably 50-50 whether he can pull it off.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:12 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Not trying to give you a hard time, but I farking HATE the idea of Kulikov-Antipin next year. All that is - one or both - is a lame patch-up job instead of the significant upgrade this D-corps needs. It doesn't need Fowler, it doesn't need Brodin...this D-corps needs BOTH those guys or two players of similar quality to drag this roster into being a serious playoff contender. I mean a team that can fight for a Cup appearance.

Along with Dufus sticking around, this is my other litmus test for whether I give two damns about next season. Adding some random bargain 4th D-man at best is a failure on TM's part. I know he's going to try for more, but it's probably 50-50 whether he can pull it off.
I think 50-50 may be generous. For now, the goal is going to be squeaking into the playoffs. I don't know how we get to serious contention, but I'd wager it's by sacrificing a core forward further down the line.

Old
04-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:

I feel like Risto is a 1 or 2, McCabe is a 3 or 4, Kulikov and Bogo are a 4 or 5.

We are looking for a 1 or 2. That is what Murray needs to add. Then everyone else should fall into their proper roles. Murray also needs to change the coach. Then fill out the 6th D with Antipin or Guhle.

Old
04-01-2017, 10:20 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
I feel like Risto is a 1 or 2, McCabe is a 3 or 4, Kulikov and Bogo are a 4 or 5.

We are looking for another 1-2. That is what Murray needs to add. Then everyone else should fall into their proper roles. Murray also needs to change the coach. Then fill out the 6th D with Antipin or Guhle.
And I'll go further to say that 1-2 has to be a guy who is elite in their own end. Every decent defenseman we have right now excels most when they're rushing. Our skillset on the backend is pretty one-dimensional and will be easy to pick apart in the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:

We are looking for a 1 or 2. That is what Murray needs to add. Then everyone else should fall into their proper roles. Murray also needs to change the coach. Then fill out the 6th D with Antipin or Guhle.
With the guys you mentioned, I would prefer...

xxxxx-Ristolainen - adding a guy like Fowler and giving them offensive starts and match-ups
McCabe-xxxxx - adding a guy like Brodin for heavy defensive assignments
Kulikov-Bogosian - would probably be just fine as a 3rd pair, but WAY too expensive

It's hard to justify paying Bogosian that money for 3rd pair duties, but impossible to pay Kulikov for the same money and same assignment. Gorges is barely serviceable as a 7th guy, and Guhle should get a year in the AHL, so IMO 3LHD is an open spot too (maybe Falk gets it). That's three holes, two of which will be very hard to fill, and one that's easy to fill with a few terrible players on the roster right now...if you're ok settling for that. Anyway, it's not a pretty sight and TM has his work cut out for him.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:53 AM
jvirk

I would hope Kuli is back next year on a short term show me contract. Hopefully the market isn't too kind to him and TM somehow keeps him on that deal.

As far as Antipin is concerned, I don't know much about him...but I stated previously if he ends up being a solid starter for us, I would hope it pushes Gorges off the team (soon). The only problem is we really lack a 1st pairing LHD and still lack a 2nd pairing RHD. I feel like Bogo can be that guy but this system really stinks for him...so therefore I won't back that argument up too much...3rd pairing it is (unless he's traded).

McCabe-Risto
Antipin-(trade)
Guhle-Bogo

I get criticized by some for mentioning Guhle on our 3rd pairing to start the year, but if he earns the spot over Gorges handidly then I see no problem with it. It's not like Rochester isn't a tire fire...so idk how great Roch is to develop him. But I can understand from some posters why they don't want to rush him or plug him into our team right away.

The key to every situation for this team next year is coaching tbh. Until dufus is gone...nothing positive really happens :/ I wish TM would see this and allow a new coach to come in and implement a new system in training camp rather than firing dufus 30 games into the season and not having any time to work with the squad b/c the season is going on.

Sabresfansince1980 - you're right on our defense corps. We don't just need a top pairing guy on the left side, we also need a top 4 RHD to take pressure off of Risto. We won't get those 2 studs right away. But I do think with a different system and better puck support this defense corps would look better (which comes from better coaching...).
I do think one of those holes will be plugged this offseason via trade (ex: Kane for whoever). Any draft picks we make this offseason will be players who won't make the team for at least a season or two, let alone making a true difference in the top 4. Defenseman take longer to develop than most forwards, so I don't see any draft picks made from here on out being difference makers any time soon, but STILL it's important to draft and develop those d-men.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
FWIW replay of Game 4 Metallurg vs Ak Bars is on One World Sports with English commentary 12:30-2:30EDT. Antipin goal already happened.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
With the guys you mentioned, I would prefer...

xxxxx-Ristolainen - adding a guy like Fowler and giving them offensive starts and match-ups
McCabe-xxxxx - adding a guy like Brodin for heavy defensive assignments
Kulikov-Bogosian - would probably be just fine as a 3rd pair, but WAY too expensive

It's hard to justify paying Bogosian that money for 3rd pair duties, but impossible to pay Kulikov for the same money and same assignment. Gorges is barely serviceable as a 7th guy, and Guhle should get a year in the AHL, so IMO 3LHD is an open spot too (maybe Falk gets it). That's three holes, two of which will be very hard to fill, and one that's easy to fill with a few terrible players on the roster right now...if you're ok settling for that. Anyway, it's not a pretty sight and TM has his work cut out for him.
I actually think if we ignored Left vs Right shot, McCabe - Kulikov could have worked as a shut down pair and Bogosian - Ristolainen could have worked as an offensive pair.

Oh well.

Old
04-01-2017, 01:45 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
There is obviously a relationship there. I'm not sure if that's why he chose Buffalo. It would make sense. I really want them to re-sign Kulikov. I take his poor season as an opportunity to get a #4 D locked up at a decent price.
Same

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:

McCabe - Ristolainen
Kulikov - Antipin
Guhle - Bogosian

This would be considered a massive fail by me. No UFA signings? No trades? Yikes.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Kulikov would be a UFA signing.

Old
04-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Kulikov would be a UFA signing.
So would Antipin but that's nitpicking pertinent details

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 06:02 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
This would be considered a massive fail by me. No UFA signings? No trades? Yikes.
I'm over the kulikov experiment. I want his slot filled by someone who can steal some minutes from risto or free risto up to wheel and deal offensively. He doesn't provide either upgrade in my mind.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 06:07 PM
EichHart

vCash: 50
Not familiar with this guy. But how does he compare to Zaitsev? Anyone have a profile on him? Defensive or offensive dman?

EichHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Whether by happenstance or what, Metallurg had a lot of o-zone time with Antipin on ice, at least 3 of the 4 goals scored while he was on the ice. Of course so was Mozyakin so who knows how much of a factor.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:20 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EichHart View Post
Not familiar with this guy. But how does he compare to Zaitsev? Anyone have a profile on him? Defensive or offensive dman?
From what I've gathered he is more offensive than defensive but also logs minutes...valuable but not a compliment to risto which is also another glaring need for us even if antipin exceeds expectations and secures a top 4 spot.

I love the signing if it becomes legit but it's hard to see where his alleged skillset fits compared to risto, mccabe, and bogo who I'd all ideally see freed up to engage offensively to enhance their skillsets. From what I've read Antipin is a 4th forward when he's really on.

I suppose you coukd concede bogo or mccabe to a more defensive role but I'm not sure that brings out the best in their game...

Compounding this is Guhle knocking on the door who also needs to have offense run through him while having a partner to cover...

Old
04-01-2017, 06:30 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
From what I've gathered he is more offensive than defensive but also logs minutes...valuable but not a compliment to risto which is also another glaring need for us even if antipin exceeds expectations and secures a top 4 spot.

I love the signing if it becomes legit but it's hard to see where his alleged skillset fits compared to risto, mccabe, and bogo who I'd all ideally see freed up to engage offensively to enhance their skillsets. From what I've read Antipin is a 4th forward when he's really on.

I suppose you coukd concede bogo or mccabe to a more defensive role but I'm not sure that brings out the best in their game...

Compounding this is Guhle knocking on the door who also needs to have offense run through him while having a partner to cover...
We need the next Warrener/McKee or Tallinder/Lydman like you wouldn't believe.

Old
04-01-2017, 06:42 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I agree completely.

Old
04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Neither player would cost much in a trade during their prime years.