HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal - Jagr to Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 07:57 AM
MCP

vCash: 500
Proposal - Jagr to Leafs

Hear me out:

Trade Domi to the Stars for a draft pick (the team that was interested in signing him) ($2 million saved)
Green gone - ($1.6 million saved)
Reichel gone next year ($3.5 million saved)

Send Owen Nolan ($6 million) + prospects/picks to the Caps for Jagr ($11 million)

-Leafs are up only 1.4 million this year, but back under next year when Reichel is gone or signs for less...

-Caps get an all-star in return and end up saving $5 million in the process. The picks/prospects can be worked out if the frameword of the deal works..

Am I crazy?

Old
10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
BringITon

Maybe....just maybe this can work.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
Hear me out:

Trade Domi to the Stars for a draft pick (the team that was interested in signing him) ($2 million saved)

Send Owen Nolan ($6 million) + prospects/picks to the Caps for Jagr ($11 million)

-Leafs are up only 1.4 million this year, but back under next year when Reichel is gone or signs for less...

-Caps get an all-star in return and end up saving $5 million in the process. The picks/prospects can be worked out if the frameword of the deal works..

Am I crazy?
Try Nolan + Colaiocovo and you might have something there.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:04 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Try Nolan + Colaiocovo and you might have something there.

Ever try stand up?

As for Jagr - NO!
End of story.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
Hear me out:

Am I crazy?
Pipe dream. Domi has stated that he will retire if he's traded. Jagr also has $55 million left on his contract, while Nolan has less than two years (could be wrong on this)... not fair economically for the Leafs, especially because the new ownership has tight purse-strings.

And, why would the Leafs want to trade for a guy that has lost his interest in the game? Jagr can't handle the pressure of the Toronto media.

Personally, I think Jagr should be sent down to the ECHL until he restructures his contract. It'd really be exactly what he deserves.

S L

Old
10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue

Ever try stand up?

As for Jagr - NO!
End of story.
Are you an idiot or something?? Jagr in an off-year last year scored 37 goals. In an off-year I reiterate. Nolan at this point is a 25-30 goal scorer at the best and is very injury prone. It would give the leafs two awesome lines - probably the 2nd best 1-2 punch after Colorado. The leafs would be absolute morons not to trade a prospect who won't be a top defenseman for at least 3 years for the MOST TALENTED PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Pipe dream. Domi has stated that he will retire if he's traded. Jagr also has $55 million left on his contract, while Nolan has less than two years (could be wrong on this)... not fair economically for the Leafs, especially because the new ownership has tight purse-strings.

And, why would the Leafs want to trade for a guy that has lost his interest in the game? Jagr can't handle the pressure of the Toronto media.

Personally, I think Jagr should be sent down to the ECHL until he restructures his contract. It'd really be exactly what he deserves.

S L
Interest shminterest - he still averages a goal and an assist every two games he plays. He would probably outscore anyone on the leafs - desire or no desire. As for sending him down to the ECHL - it would just screw the Caps over and he would have to clear waivers I think.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:13 AM
MCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin

S L
Domi said that yes, but Dallas was the team that he was very close to signing with. Make it a conditional trade - if he retires, the Leafs get a bag of hockey pucks. Either way the salary is saved.

Jagr has lost his interest on a crap team. I think he might fit in with TO - enough players to share the limelight with...

Old
10-23-2003, 08:14 AM
think-blue-

Quote:
Are you an idiot or something?? Jagr in an off-year last year scored 37 goals. In an off-year I reiterate. Nolan at this point is a 25-30 goal scorer at the best and is very injury prone. It would give the leafs two awesome lines - probably the 2nd best 1-2 punch after Colorado. The leafs would be absolute morons not to trade a prospect who won't be a top defenseman for at least 3 years for the MOST TALENTED PLAYER IN THE WORLD.
Sorry, this isn't NHL 2004. If The Leafs were prepared to blow out the budget, then they would have got Kovalev last year, who Id much rather have at his price than Jagr at his.

Jagr's trade value is close to NIL at this point in today's economic situation. His salary is still double that of Nolan's, and goes on much longer. And you want the Leafs to throw in their top prospect? GET REAL!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:21 AM
leafaholix*

lol, no thanks.

As much as I love watching Jagr play, his salary is too much... he's almost as untradable as Martin Lapointe, Patrice Brisebois, and Robert Reichel.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Sorry, this isn't NHL 2004. If The Leafs were prepared to blow out the budget, then they would have got Kovalev last year, who Id much rather have at his price than Jagr at his.

Jagr's trade value is close to NIL at this point in today's economic situation. His salary is still double that of Nolan's, and goes on much longer. And you want the Leafs to throw in their top prospect? GET REAL!
The leafs can easily afford the extra 5 million or so and Belfour's contract will be up in two years. Why the hell is Jagr so underrated?? I would die to have Jagr on the Sens if it was a remote possibility. Jagr, regardless of desire is still a the best offensive talent in the world. Hell the leafs would have an unbelievable PP with Sundin-Mogilny-Jagr. It cost the leafs 6 million to get Mogilny and they wouldn't be a playoff team without him. They can afford the 6 million it would take to get Jagr. If he really becomes a burden, Colorado may trade for him if Forsberg retires.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:33 AM
think-blue-

Quote:
The leafs can easily afford the extra 5 million or so and Belfour's contract will be up in two years. Why the hell is Jagr so underrated?? I would die to have Jagr on the Sens if it was a remote possibility. Jagr, regardless of desire is still a the best offensive talent in the world. Hell the leafs would have an unbelievable PP with Sundin-Mogilny-Jagr. It cost the leafs 6 million to get Mogilny and they wouldn't be a playoff team without him. They can afford the 6 million it would take to get Jagr. If he really becomes a burden, Colorado may trade for him if Forsberg retires.
Just for a second - throw out what the Leafs can/cannot afford. The bottom line is the Caps are screwed if they desperately want to rid themselves of Jagr's contract. Just because the Leafs may be able to afford him, it still doesn't negate jagr's trade value. There are maybe, maybe 3 or 4 teams that could eat that contract right now. You think those 3 or 4 teams will be in a hurry to give up their top prospects for a guy they know Washington would love to get rid of? If you do, you're simply not dealing with reality.

Furthermore, from a Leafs perspective - Id much sooner spend the money on an overpriced good Defenseman than on Jagr. And the last thing I want to continue to hear is how 'the money is spent' (and in this case, it'll be on one or two players) when the annual 'we need a defenseman' talk comes up in Leaf land.

You have a billionaire owner now - so why not trade Spezza and Volchenkov for the best player in the world?

Old
10-23-2003, 08:34 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Why the hell is Jagr so underrated??
It's probably the monstrosity of the contract that comes with Jagr, that deflates his trade value.

To be honest, I'd take Jagr (malcontent and all) on the Leafs in a split second. However, due to the given economical situation on the Leafs and the fact that Jagr's attitude is of major concern; I wouldn't be willing to give up anything of major significance for Jagr. I'm not sure what exactly would interest the caps off the Leaf roster, as we have more than our fair share of highly-paid veterans.

It's sad really because one of the best players in the game COULD be had for almost a bag of pucks (hyperbole, yes), mainly because of $$$ issues.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:11 AM
caber24

Quote:
at this point in the nhl, no one is going to trade for an 11 million dollar a year contract. he is a very talented and valuable player imo and would be worth alot if the nhl wasn't so uncertain.. if the caps want to move him, they simply cannot demand alot in return or it won't happen.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
Domi would be a regular in the press box, we don't need him nor can we afford him. Much less pay 2 mill for a guy that's unnecessary. The Stars were interested in the past, but since then we've added Stu Barnes, Steve Ott, Antti Miettinen and our own enforcer in Aaron Downey, there's simply no room for him, not financially nor physicly..

Old
10-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Just for a second - throw out what the Leafs can/cannot afford. The bottom line is the Caps are screwed if they desperately want to rid themselves of Jagr's contract. Just because the Leafs may be able to afford him, it still doesn't negate jagr's trade value. There are maybe, maybe 3 or 4 teams that could eat that contract right now. You think those 3 or 4 teams will be in a hurry to give up their top prospects for a guy they know Washington would love to get rid of? If you do, you're simply not dealing with reality.

Furthermore, from a Leafs perspective - Id much sooner spend the money on an overpriced good Defenseman than on Jagr. And the last thing I want to continue to hear is how 'the money is spent' (and in this case, it'll be on one or two players) when the annual 'we need a defenseman' talk comes up in Leaf land.

You have a billionaire owner now - so why not trade Spezza and Volchenkov for the best player in the world?
This is exactly correct. Hell, 3-4 teams is generous. Jagr would probably pass through waivers at this point.

Also, regardless of whether Toronto can afford him or not...you don't want to head into CBA uncertainty with $26 million tied up in Mats Sundin, Alexander Mogilny, and Jaromir Jagr. That's not a smart thing to do, period.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:40 AM
kacz

Quote:
We still talkin about Jagr here?

Old
10-23-2003, 10:44 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
The Caps also owe him $50 million. Don't kid yourself, they'd give him away for free if they could. The Leafs wouldn't have to offer Colaiacovo.

Among his peers, yes, he's worth that much. But to a team in today's league, no player is worth that much.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
cost the leafs 6 million to get Mogilny and they wouldn't be a playoff team without him.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:11 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
...you don't want to head into CBA uncertainty with $26 million tied up in Mats Sundin, Alexander Mogilny, and Jaromir Jagr. That's not a smart thing to do, period.
Alex Mogilny's contract is over after this year. The only two with contracts for 2004/05 are Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:

LOL Jagr could be had for nothing. As for Nolan and Carlos I think not. How about Alfredson and Volchenkov for Jagr, didn't think so.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Alex Mogilny's contract is over after this year. The only two with contracts for 2004/05 are Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan.
Hehe, I meant Nolan, nm

Old
10-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Interest shminterest - he still averages a goal and an assist every two games he plays. He would probably outscore anyone on the leafs - desire or no desire. As for sending him down to the ECHL - it would just screw the Caps over and he would have to clear waivers I think.
Who the hell would pick Jagr up off waivers? If that'd happen, big Ted would be happier than the day of the Time-Warner merger.

S L

Old
10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
LOL Jagr could be had for nothing. As for Nolan and Carlos I think not. How about Alfredson and Volchenkov for Jagr, didn't think so.
Well, Jagr was protected by Washington, yet they wish to get rid of his contract, which indicates they are looking for some return.

Colavaccio is too high a price though. If the Leafs were looking to increase their offence, then the prospect would have to be someone like Bell instead. I only see it happening if Washington is willing to eat at least $3 million in Jagr's salary per year for the next 3 years on top of Nolan's contract, which they may not be willing to do.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Redline

vCash: 50
I honestly think the only return the caps could get for Jagr would be another teams salary dump.
That in no way reflects Jagr's ability but that HUGE contract of his is just too much for any team to consider.

Closed Thread