HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CBS/Ottawa Sun on board with Theodore trade rumors, involves Denis and Brad Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Stone Cutter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I wasn't commenting on the other part of this proposal, or even some other made up trade proposal of Theo for Richards... I was just refuting someones comment that giving up Theo and getting Denis is screwing Montreal.

Because a trade of Theo for Richards is also one of the most retarded proposals I have ever heard.

lets put it this way... if a CBJ fan came on and said they were getting screwed by this deal, I would stick it to them too.

I see your point... However, don't you need to take all the deal into consideration? not only a part of it? I agree that the way Théo as been playing these days that Denis may be a ok return, but if Théo is enough to get Richards out of Tbay... Denis is certainly not a return of equal value.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter
I see your point... However, don't you need to take all the deal into consideration? not only a part of it? I agree that the way Théo as been playing these days that Denis may be a ok return, but if Théo is enough to get Richards out of Tbay... Denis is certainly not a return of equal value.
One would have to assume that these would not be the only 3 pieces in the deal.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
Explain to me why the Bolts MUST decide NOW?
Yeah, I didn't understand that either. There's no sense of urgency here, Richards is an RFA this off season. No rush.

02-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ID0L
Brad Richards (Stanley Cup MVP 2004)
Jose Theodore (NHL MVP & Vezina Trophy 2002)
Marc Denis (......................)

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same.
I could care less what Theodore did in 2002, just look at what he's done this year. He's been a backup goalie at best, and not a real good one.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Typical Garrioch crap!

Can anyone give me ONE reason why TB would make this deal? They're the only team in the deal that is a serious contender, and they're trading last years Conn Smythe winner for a guy that couldn't stop a beach ball right now.

The ONLY way I see TB trading Richards is IN THE OFFSEASON if someone w/ a ton of blueline prospects (NASH, CHI) offers one of them up + another solid asset. They're trying to defend the Stanley Cup, there is absolutely NO way they are going to move Richards now, especially with the cap going up substantially next year.

CLM makes out like a total bandit in this deal (even if they have to include a 1st or Picard).

From another similiar thread, I can't see MON taking 5 years of Martin St. Louis crazy contract for only two more years of Theodore's crazy contract.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Who has said Theo is enough to get Richards from TB? That would shock me. Not surprise, but shock.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Amd

Theo for Denis
Theo for Richards

It's a no brainer. Montreal may need another goalie, but if Huet plays like he has been, Richards would be that piece of the puzzle that would get them over the edge.

There would have to be alot more involved for this to work. I am sure that Tampa would be getting something else from Columbus. I think Denis for Theo works from a salary point of view. If Gainey was looking to just simply dump the contract it is not a bad deal. It would definitely open up some money for Montreal and give them a another good netminder. If they did it before the deadline, that would give them some more room to play when it hits. Huet and Denis is not a bad combo.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:27 AM
boomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029
Could you explain how Tampa benefits from essentially trading Brad Richards for Theo?

We’d get a goalie whose own team is apparently anxious to rid themselves of and who is worse this year than either goalie we already have. We get a goalie without shedding one through the deal and would now have 3 goalies on our roster. We lose a player whose accomplishments have been well documented and certainly far exceed what Theo has brought to the table this year. Theo is making $4.5M this year and it certainly doesn’t seem like he’s earning it.

We may have to deal someone – I’m not the GM and can’t say. If the cap goes as high as $46M we surely wouldn’t have to. I do feel that if we do move anyone, Feaster will attempt to trade St. Louis before Richards. Having what others perceive as cap problems “forcing” us to make a deal does not necessarily equal making a foolish one.

The thing is that I dont care about the Bolts or Columbus....
Theo. is not going anywhere, he s a great goalie who was on a slump and now Huet is playing great. Theo. still has his #1 spot.
Fans are just going crazy and saying stupid things (including some reporters). By the way, Richards has a much value to Tampa Bay as Theo. has to Montreal. Now, if Tampa thinks it can get a better goalie than Theo. without giving Richards, great they better not pass on it.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
LeHab

Hah this "rumor" is as bad as most habs fans proposals, at least this time it is not Montreal who steals everything.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:30 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I see your point... However, don't you need to take all the deal into consideration? not only a part of it?
All I was responding to was this: "So Montreal gets the shaft....... well thats a first..."

So I was just saying from Montreals perspective they don't get the shaft.

If you want my perspective on the entire trade, Tampa gets molested, Montreal does OK, and CBJ makes like bandits.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Pepper

Montreal gets shafted?? Good lord, some of you people really need a reality check.

Theodore's value with that ridiculous contract is practically zero at the moment, nobody wants him really.

Tampa giving up Richards for Theodore??

Too ****ing funny...

Read my lips: Tampa would never do that trade.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:40 AM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/NHL_SC-RUMOR

There we go. No more kabashing.
and tell me again why Tampa would trade Richards for Theodore?????

Old
02-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
The thing is that I dont care about the Bolts or Columbus....
Theo. is not going anywhere, he s a great goalie who was on a slump and now Huet is playing great. Theo. still has his #1 spot.
Fans are just going crazy and saying stupid things (including some reporters). By the way, Richards has a much value to Tampa Bay as Theo. has to Montreal. Now, if Tampa thinks it can get a better goalie than Theo. without giving Richards, great they better not pass on it.
The thing is - who you "care about" doesn't change the fact that this is an absolutely BRUTAL deal for TB, a total steal for CLM, and not bad for MON (IMO).

I think you need to come to the realization that Theo is not a "great goalie". He had a great season - ONE. No one is going to give MON full value in a trade for his peak performance 4 years ago. Especially when he hasn't been even remotely close to a dominating goalie over the last 3 years. Add in his HUGE struggles this year, and on top of that he's making CRAZY money over the next two years, and I think MON would be really lucky to get a guy like Denis for him.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:51 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
I am assuming most of you are having trouble comprehending the concept of "working on a deal." That means there is other crap to be added to the deal.

Nevertheless, it seems to me like the entire trade concept is crap. I can not see Tampa dealing Richards until after this season, because they will never get good value for the trade. If they deal him at all it will be in the summer when the salary cap increases giving team more flexibility.

Denis to Montreal makes some sense but I watched that Huel kid play last night and he impressed me. Montreal should ride him and see if he has the stuff. Denis will not make them a playoff team. Theodore is overrated and overpaid and I cannot see Tampa wanteing tha contract.

Old
02-08-2006, 09:55 AM
BerSTUzzi

Richards>>>>Denis> Theo

therefor there is no way this deal will go down, also a heck of a lot more salaries would have to be thrown around because they don't all make the same.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Maxpac

I didn't know that Theodore entered an ultimate slump never coming back, what you guys think he'l suck like this for ever? Theodore's is 1 of the 5 or 6 goalies who can change a game on his own... now he's supose to get traded for a late 4th rounder, come back to his old self to the surprise of evreyone and make Hab fans eat there fingers for the next 10 years, i'd rather keep him then trade him for Denis..

Old
02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
I didn't know that Theodore entered an ultimate slump never coming back, what you guys think he'l suck like this for ever? Theodore's is 1 of the 5 or 6 goalies who can change a game on his own... now he's supose to get traded for a late 4th rounder, come back to his old self to the surprise of evreyone and make Hab fans eat there fingers for the next 10 years, i'd rather keep him then trade him for Denis..
1996 Jim Carey wins the Vezina trophy in his 2nd season in the NHL, 3 seasons later he's out of hockey ...he's only 2 years older than Theo

...when a goalie goes into a slump, sometimes they never get out of it.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
boomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
The thing is - who you "care about" doesn't change the fact that this is an absolutely BRUTAL deal for TB, a total steal for CLM, and not bad for MON (IMO).

I think you need to come to the realization that Theo is not a "great goalie". He had a great season - ONE. No one is going to give MON full value in a trade for his peak performance 4 years ago. Especially when he hasn't been even remotely close to a dominating goalie over the last 3 years. Add in his HUGE struggles this year, and on top of that he's making CRAZY money over the next two years, and I think MON would be really lucky to get a guy like Denis for him.

See thats your opinion, because Theo. in my opinion and most of Hab fans ( people who watch him every game of the year), is a great goalie. He was a potentiel 3rd goalie for Canada at the begining of this season and was part of a few international tournaments in the past few years (juniors till toaday that is), so plz.dont tell me that everyone has been wrong about Theo. He is a great goalie. He s having a bad month, and an average season. Look at his stats and the number of shots he was getting and has been getting for the last few years. The team has played like crap, that does not meen that all the players suck.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
Not saying that Theo can't come back. Just saying that you can't expect another team to "pay" for Theo's one dominating season 4 years ago.

Theo has cashed in on that season for the last 3 years, and he's been absolutely brutal this year. IMO, Theo hasn't a difference maker since he won the Hart. He's been solid, but not a guy I want to commit $11M over the next two years too.

If Theo get's traded now, it's going to be at a steep discount because;
1) (Most importantly) His contract
2) His play right now wouldn't be an upgrade to any team in the league
3) His play since the Hart year hasn't been dominant

Just my opinion.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Lionel Hutz

This makes no sense.

Richards >>>>>>>>> Denis - the suggestion that Columbus can swing Richards for Denis is astounding.

If the Habs trade Theodore, won't they be happy to go with huet?

Old
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
See thats your opinion, because Theo. in my opinion and most of Hab fans ( people who watch him every game of the year), is a great goalie. He was a potentiel 3rd goalie for Canada at the begining of this season and was part of a few international tournaments in the past few years (juniors till toaday that is), so plz.dont tell me that everyone has been wrong about Theo. He is a great goalie. He s having a bad month, and an average season. Look at his stats and the number of shots he was getting and has been getting for the last few years. The team has played like crap, that does not meen that all the players suck.
An average season??!?! If this is an average season, what would it take for Theo to be having a bad season in your opinion? A slump means that you struggle. I think it's past a slump when you get torched and pulled in 3 of your last 4 games.

I would say that some Habs fans might be too biased to realize that Theo's play has slipped substantially since 2001-02. Am I the only person that finds it odd that Theo has had the lowest save percentage on the team each year over the last 3? I realize that the back-up is likely to get a start against an easier team, but I just find it odd that that is the case over a 3 year period of time.

I just find it odd that Huet can look so good behind the same team that Theo get's absolutely TORCHED with. Can you explain that for me?

Old
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
The Habs would be lucky to trade Theo and get Denis. Tampa Bay gets hosed.

Old
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
See thats your opinion, because Theo... is a great goalie.
This is where I agree with you, he is a great goalie.

Quote:
He s having a bad month, and an average season.
This is where I disagree with you, he's not having an average season or a bad month, he's having an absolute melt-down.

But he is great, and I hope he can get back on track. Its going to take a lot of strength to do that, because I think this is more than a simple slump.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
boomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
An average season??!?! If this is an average season, what would it take for Theo to be having a bad season in your opinion? A slump means that you struggle. I think it's past a slump when you get torched and pulled in 3 of your last 4 games.

I would say that some Habs fans might be too biased to realize that Theo's play has slipped substantially since 2001-02. Am I the only person that finds it odd that Theo has had the lowest save percentage on the team each year over the last 3? I realize that the back-up is likely to get a start against an easier team, but I just find it odd that that is the case over a 3 year period of time.

I just find it odd that Huet can look so good behind the same team that Theo get's absolutely TORCHED with. Can you explain that for me?

You know what, I might have been generous with the bad season, OK, crapy season. But please, look at the save% of Theo. before your say that he has been on the down fall since 2000. He has had a better or even save % to Brodeur and close to Luongo s %. www.nhlpa.com

Now, the only reason why Theo. has had bad publicity, is because of the D. that is playing so bad in front of him for the last 4 years. The D. just plaine sucks. Other than Markov, they are all 4rth to 6th D. on other teams. Huet played great and the team is getting out of the slump, thats why everyone wants to trade Theo.
wait till he gets the beating of a liftime...then Habs fans will reconsider trading one of the to 6 goalies in the league

1- Brodeur
2- Luongo
3- Turco
4- Theodore (u herd me)
5- Hasek (hate but...)

Plz. take in consideration that a goalie s performance goas in hand with his D.

Goalies that look great because of the D.
Hasek (best D. in the league)
Miikka Kiprusoff (great D. with 90% of players that play in both zones)
Nabokov (great tough D. that hit like crazy)...

Good day to all

Last edited by boomboom: 02-08-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old
02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
habs_24x

I agree with everyone saying Theo is having a bad season. His value is really low right now and i dont see Gainey trading him for nothing (or almost nothing)

There must be 1 or 2 GM's out there who are willing to take the risk for him...

Im thinking Colorado's GM for one... Hes always taking some risks and has the Kahunas to go for it.

I dont see Tampa going for Theo tho...

Closed Thread