HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Friedman's 30 thoughts: Update on Olympic participation but questions remain

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Friedman's 30 thoughts: Update on Olympic participation but questions remain

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...mpic-decision/

Rumor is the NHL offered to go if union allowed 19 year old draft with 18 year old exceptions for first round. But NHLPA refused as they don't think they should give up anything.

And there was a rumor that the exhibition game(s) in China were up for negotiation as part of Olympics, but apparently they are a go, regardless.

There was a meeting scheduled recently, but cancelled.

Friedman speculates that a new NBC deal may be in the works to extend beyond 2022 (and Beijing Olympics), but that's his speculation.

While July 2013 agreement was made for 2014 Olympics, there was a handshake in February.

Very uncertain what is happening behind the scenes.

Old
03-14-2017, 05:07 PM
tony d
Pug

Meh, I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing amateurs playing in the Olympics again. The 2 week break during the heart of the season was something I've never been a fan of.

03-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3083333
Hard to say if NBC is willing to redo the TV contract with the NHL but they also know FOX will bid for it when it expires in 2021.

But the time difference could be used to the advantage of North American broadcasters. For example the gold medal game could be played at 10AM Sunday morning in Korea which would be 8 PM Saturday night in New York and Toronto.

A USA/Canada Gold Medal game in primetime would rival the viewing numbers in Vancouver. NBC's dilemna is can they trust Team USA to make the medal round?

As Friedman points out Bettman has not said no.....yet.

Since we know some NHL players are going no matter what and the Caps owner is OK with that the NHL has a problem. They can mute it somewhat by giving all 31 teams a bye week during the Olympics.

Old
03-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

There was an article awhile back that said the Korean Olympic organizers had no interest in moving the hockey game times to accomodate NA viewing. Has something changed, otherwise games will be in the middle of the night in NA?

Old
03-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
There was an article awhile back that said the Korean Olympic organizers had no interest in moving the hockey game times to accomodate NA viewing. Has something changed, otherwise games will be in the middle of the night in NA?
I think the IIHF can convince them as NHL players will sell tickets.

Old
03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
They can mute it somewhat by giving all 31 teams a bye week during the Olympics.

This bye week thing is something I hope they tweet. Either have everyone take it at the same time, or have everyone in the same division at the same time. Then have teams fresh off the break play each other so you don't have a cold/rusty team against a team going through its regular motions

Old
03-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
I think the IIHF can convince them as NHL players will sell tickets.
If you think so, but they've got morning and early afternoon outside events, and then their locally hot selling inside night events they want to work around, so hockey was supposed to fill in between those. It was an older article so dynamics may have changed.

Old
03-14-2017, 06:50 PM
NEPA

Quote:
Hard to say if NBC is willing to redo the TV contract with the NHL but they also know FOX will bid for it when it
Yeah I hope Fox gets it.

Old
03-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPA View Post
Yeah I hope Fox gets it.
Doesn't mean a change makes it better.

Old
03-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Rob

Will the players have to stay in Seoul and player their games in PyeongChang?

Old
03-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Ernie

It's pretty obvious Bettman wants to go (as he should), but it seems like he's trying to "get" something for it to mollify the owners who are opposed.

Old
03-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Caspian

vCash: 145
Increasing the draft age with 1st round exceptional status for 18 year olds sounds like a good move for both the league and players.

Ideally draft eligibility age would be 19 across the board (Turn 19 by December 31st of the draft year). Yeah we'd miss out on McJesus and Laine for a year but players like Eichel and Matthews (late birthdays) would still be drafted at the same age. Helps protect younger players from being rushed and gives scouts an extra year of forecasting.

The value of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks would sky rocket. You'd have a better idea of what you're getting. Just look at re-drafts one year later and look at the changes made in hindsight.

Old
03-14-2017, 07:32 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Hard to say if NBC is willing to redo the TV contract with the NHL but they also know FOX will bid for it when it expires in 2021.

But the time difference could be used to the advantage of North American broadcasters. For example the gold medal game could be played at 10AM Sunday morning in Korea which would be 8 PM Saturday night in New York and Toronto.

A USA/Canada Gold Medal game in primetime would rival the viewing numbers in Vancouver. NBC's dilemna is can they trust Team USA to make the medal round?

As Friedman points out Bettman has not said no.....yet.

Since we know some NHL players are going no matter what and the Caps owner is OK with that the NHL has a problem. They can mute it somewhat by giving all 31 teams a bye week during the Olympics.

Some players have made comments, as had Leonis. I think it's premature to assume the NHL is going to be facing a big issue of players going without league permission. If the league doesn't approve going, they may impose heavy repercussions for teams or players.

There's also the interesting question of what the IIHF does if the NHL says no go. Would the IIHF respect the NHL's wishes and not approve "awol" NHL players to participate? Or would the IIHF approve the players, potentially creating some animosity with the NHL?

Likewise would Hockey USA and Hockey Canada select players the NHL says can't go? I don't think it would be as big of an issue for the European federations, but Canada and the US could be under stronger relationship pressures with the league.

Old
03-14-2017, 08:46 PM
NEPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Doesn't mean a change makes it better.
I thought the nhl on Fox did fine the first time. I'm just not a fan of NBC compared to the former I guess. Its whatever, as long as someone carries it

Old
03-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
I thought the nhl on Fox did fine the first time. I'm just not a fan of NBC compared to the former I guess. Its whatever, as long as someone carries it
FOX has the local rights for many teams in the US and their productions are all top notch as far as camera and graphics are concerned.

They have the Wings, Blue Jackets, Kings, Ducks, Coyotes, Stars, Lightning, Blues, Panthers, Wild, Predators and Hurricanes.

Look what the FOX network was doing 22 years ago.....NBC has never put this much effort into production.

Last edited by Fenway: 03-14-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old
03-14-2017, 11:59 PM
USAUSA1

Fs1 losing homes and nbcsn gaining homes and is the only sports network doing so.

Fox will not give nhl the endless tv time NBC have been giving the nhl. Fox is all in on the NFL and mlb,plus UFC and NASCAR there is no room for nhl but one game per week.

Old
03-15-2017, 07:16 AM
NEPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Fs1 losing homes and nbcsn gaining homes and is the only sports network doing so.

Fox will not give nhl the endless tv time NBC have been giving the nhl. Fox is all in on the NFL and mlb,plus UFC and NASCAR there is no room for nhl but one game per week.
You have a link to that? I tried Google and all I could find was espn losing homes. I probably have one of the worst cable companies ( metrocast) and they even carry fs1 and 2.

Even if you are right, does it have to be a monopoly? National Fox could broadcasts games just on Sundays for example.

Old
03-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
It's pretty obvious Bettman wants to go (as he should), but it seems like he's trying to "get" something for it to mollify the owners who are opposed.
This is my take as well. Withholding players at the moment is his only bargaining chip.

Old
03-15-2017, 09:07 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
This bye week thing is something I hope they tweet. Either have everyone take it at the same time, or have everyone in the same division at the same time. Then have teams fresh off the break play each other so you don't have a cold/rusty team against a team going through its regular motions
NHL has already announced entire league will take respective team bye week in a two week window - half one week, half the next.

Old
03-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Rysto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Meh, I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing amateurs playing in the Olympics again. The 2 week break during the heart of the season was something I've never been a fan of.
You realize that it won't be amateurs, right? It will be professionals from the KHL and the Swedish Elite League and all the other European professional leagues beating up on whatever scraps Canada and the US can muster.

Old
03-15-2017, 11:41 AM
USAUSA1

Quote:
You have a link to that? I tried Google and all I could find was espn losing homes. I probably have one of the worst cable companies ( metrocast) and they even carry fs1 and 2.

Even if you are right, does it have to be a monopoly? National Fox could broadcasts games just on Sundays for example.
https://sportstvratings.com/how-much...stimates/7680/

Old
03-15-2017, 01:03 PM
PKWeber

The NHL will have to compete against the Winter Olympics for TV viewers during those weeks. NBC is the Olympic broadcaster, so they will cannibalize their own ratings.

However, I doubt ticket sales would suffer.

Old
03-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
You realize that it won't be amateurs, right? It will be professionals from the KHL and the Swedish Elite League and all the other European professional leagues beating up on whatever scraps Canada and the US can muster.
It'll basically be a Spengler Cup quality Canadian team.
I'm surprised that the NHLPA would be against raising the draft age though, since that doesn't impact anyone currently playing. I suppose having an extra year to scout players means more 'hits' with draft picks and therefore possibly forcing out vets sooners.

Really, the draft age should be above 20 (mostly for safety of the players) but that's never going to happen.

Old
03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

I think that the NHLPA might be willing to raise the draft age, but they wouldn't give it up to go to Olympics.

Now, maybe to get to 15% max escrow they would.

Old
03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
djavan

Really unfortunate how the league is dragging its feet on Olympics, yet they hyped the contrived & poorly attended World Cup of Hockey. Meanwhile, the honest competitive spirit of the players is apparently not respected at an event, the Olympics, that has clearly shown it attracts interest to the sport. Even worse, you throw in this condensed schedule this season & it just doesn't look good

Closed Thread