HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Friedman's 30 thoughts: Update on Olympic participation but questions remain

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2017, 02:48 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 7395348
Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
Really unfortunate how the league is dragging its feet on Olympics, yet they hyped the contrived & poorly attended World Cup of Hockey. Meanwhile, the honest competitive spirit of the players is apparently not respected at an event, the Olympics, that has clearly shown it attracts interest to the sport. Even worse, you throw in this condensed schedule this season & it just doesn't look good
The NHL was making money on the World Cup - they get nada for the Olympics.

Old
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The NHL was making money on the World Cup - they get nada for the Olympics.
They did, but was it worth the time and effort for what they got? I think in the end annualized it was only worth $250,000 to each owner, over a 20 game tournament? Someone did the math in a much older thread.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Spartachat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
They did, but was it worth the time and effort for what they got? I think in the end annualized it was only worth $250,000 to each owner, over a 20 game tournament? Someone did the math in a much older thread.
This is probably why the NHL has stopped mentioning the next WCoH. The worst case scenario is no Olympic participation and no more WCoHs.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:05 AM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Meh, I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing amateurs playing in the Olympics again. The 2 week break during the heart of the season was something I've never been a fan of.
Do you honestly believe that it will be amateur even without the NHL? I mean come on.

Old
03-17-2017, 04:30 PM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
Do you honestly believe that it will be amateur even without the NHL? I mean come on.
I feel that many still think that professional hockey is not played outside North America.

Old
03-19-2017, 03:41 PM
WadeRedden

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavan View Post
Really unfortunate how the league is dragging its feet on Olympics, yet they hyped the contrived & poorly attended World Cup of Hockey. Meanwhile, the honest competitive spirit of the players is apparently not respected at an event, the Olympics, that has clearly shown it attracts interest to the sport. Even worse, you throw in this condensed schedule this season & it just doesn't look good
Link to study pls?

Old
03-21-2017, 05:46 PM
PM
Still retooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastCoast View Post
Yeah I don't get why I keep seeing the word amateur popping up in regards to this. Players on ECHL and AHL teams without NHL contracts are still professional hockey players. They play hockey for a living, a profession if you will.

There might be a couple amateur players from the juniors in exceptional cases but Team Canada would largely be made up of the Spengler Cup team + the best AHL/ECHL Canadian players. And yes, we will probably suck.

Aren't most olympic athletes these days professionals? How many olympic athletes work another regular day job?

Old
03-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Jeffrey93

I'm not reading any of this....including the original artical by Friedman........

This "30 thoughts" and "5 Things we learned", etc. is BS reporting.

When did sports reporters suddenly get the leeway to write a bullet point report?

I don't have enough knowledge, info or intelligence to write a REAL sports reporter article.....so I'll just write about 5-30 random things.

Take off! Cut it out! All this does is pump moronic crap out that otherwise wouldn't make it in any sports reporter's submission.

Lazy reporting.....EXTREME lazy reporting.

Old
03-22-2017, 01:03 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Meh, I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing amateurs playing in the Olympics again. The 2 week break during the heart of the season was something I've never been a fan of.
There will be plenty of pro players in the Olympics even without the NHL. Just lower level pros.

Old
03-22-2017, 01:37 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
I'm not reading any of this....including the original artical by Friedman........

This "30 thoughts" and "5 Things we learned", etc. is BS reporting.

When did sports reporters suddenly get the leeway to write a bullet point report?

I don't have enough knowledge, info or intelligence to write a REAL sports reporter article.....so I'll just write about 5-30 random things.

Take off! Cut it out! All this does is pump moronic crap out that otherwise wouldn't make it in any sports reporter's submission.

Lazy reporting.....EXTREME lazy reporting.
It's sports reporting. This is a step above working for Perez Hilton, and a step bellow working for TMZ. Don't expect much.

Old
03-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It's sports reporting. This is a step above working for Perez Hilton, and a step bellow working for TMZ. Don't expect much.
You should maybe let us know where National Enquirer fits into the matrix, for reference's sake. I'm not sure if you aren't overselling TMZ, or overselling Perez Hilton. Or all three for that matter.

ETA: He should be glad Friedman's "column" isn't just a bunch of twitter screenshots and a sentence from him. Don't think sportsnet is allowing Friedman to reach that high level of sports journalism yet. Still needs to earn his stripes.

Old
03-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Honestly folks, if there is new news about the Olympics, it's not Friedman's 30 Quips any longer.

Put the Olympic discussion in a thread for the Olympics.

Posts moved to new thread.

Closed Thread