HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Kris Draper - "There Will Be Blood"

Old
03-15-2017, 08:15 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
he turtled harder than anyone has ever turtled, he was trying to burrow in under the ice...

or imagine if Draper had been rendered a drooling vegetable for the rest of his days?
Lemieux turtles because the bigger more pugiliatically talented McCarthy jumped him.

When they next lined up and consented, lemieux more than held his own punching up against a tough guy.

For a player who wanted to be a "big pain in the ass" its telling he never tried to avenge the hit himself but takes great pride in sicking his big brother on the kid who kicked his ass on the schoolyard. If he's fine with lemieux punching up against McCarthy, why didn't he punch up against lemieux?

If draper wants to find solace in the fact that the bigger fighter got the upper hand by jumping the non fighter ( and playoff boss) let him. But when push came to shove his repeatedly let others fight his fights for him.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
76ftw

vCash: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
he turtled harder than anyone has ever turtled, he was trying to burrow in under the ice...

or imagine if Draper had been rendered a drooling vegetable for the rest of his days?
Don't blame him he got sucker punched.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:18 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 250
This reminded me a lot of the 80s rivalry between Montreal and Quebec and some of the crazy brawls they had and the brawls the HABS and Flyers had and the hatred Hextall had for Chelios. I want to see that kind of hockey again.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:23 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Cherry and his made-up name"turtling" can go fly a kite.'

Claude was twice the competitor - and several times the performer in terms of hockey history - that Kris was.

Those who honor fighting above all, go to a boxing website, or MMA.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Cherry and his made-up name"turtling" can go fly a kite.'

Claude was twice the competitor - and several times the performer in terms of hockey history - that Kris was.

Those who honor fighting above all, go to a boxing website, or MMA.
Lemieux was quite a competitor but also a dirty puke as the famous hit from behind shows. He's lucky he didn't kill Draper. Over a game.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppberg View Post
I miss those days. The game has lost the passion of the past generations.
this

everyone's all buddy buddy with each other these days

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:42 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
this

everyone's all buddy buddy with each other these days
It's becoming like the NBA. Soon we'll have Oilers/Flames and Islanders/Rangers hugging and exchanging butt-taps at center-ice before playoff games.

I would love to see Ryan Nugent-Hopkins suddenly go all-Rambo and just goon a Calgary Flame in the playoffs.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Lemieux turtles because the bigger more pugiliatically talented McCarthy jumped him.

When they next lined up and consented, lemieux more than held his own punching up against a tough guy.

For a player who wanted to be a "big pain in the ass" its telling he never tried to avenge the hit himself but takes great pride in sicking his big brother on the kid who kicked his ass on the schoolyard. If he's fine with lemieux punching up against McCarthy, why didn't he punch up against lemieux?

If draper wants to find solace in the fact that the bigger fighter got the upper hand by jumping the non fighter ( and playoff boss) let him. But when push came to shove his repeatedly let others fight his fights for him.
wat

Draper didn't tell McCarty to do anything. And he specifically said, more than once I think, that winning that game and then the series against them to get the Cup was the best revenge he could've hoped for.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 05:43 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
wat

Draper didn't tell McCarty to do anything. And he specifically said, more than once I think, that winning that game and then the series against them to get the Cup was the best revenge he could've hoped for.
He had plenty of chances to settle himself, so did McCarthy. But he never did and mmccarthy only did with a punk ass sucker move and still wings fans say that lemieux was the one who lacked the intestinal fortitude while cheering a punk ass move.

Oh and when wings fans ( and players apparently now) wax poetic about poor Chris draper they always ignore the fact that the only one willing to settle up face to face (while punching up) was lemieux.

Draper was not talent that needed to be protected, he could have stepped up a whole lot of times but never did. So much for "hating those guys" if you don't have the balls to act on it but defer to someone to do it for you.

I wish Gary Roberts would have pummeled him at the alumni game.

Lemieux was a rat but he answered the bell. When the bell rang repeatedly for draper he pretended he didn't hear it.

Old
03-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Mount Suribachi

Quote:

Sheesh, I dunno? Maybe because Lemiuex was about 6 inches taller and 50lbs heavier? Draper would have gotten his face smashed in again.

Punching people in the face was McCarty's job, not Draper's

Mount Suribachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:06 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
Sheesh, I dunno? Maybe because Lemiuex was about 6 inches taller and 50lbs heavier? Draper would have gotten his face smashed in again.

This is Claude we're talking about. Not Mario.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:17 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

As a non-partisan the funniest thing is it started with Larionov wrestling down Forsberg.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:55 AM
mjlee

Shanahan has really gotten around hasn't he? I was watching one of the ads fr this summer's WC and Shanahan was talking about the infamous brawl during the WJC I think it was in Kladno, where the Canadian and Russian junior teams fought until they literally turned the lights off and then DQ both teams Didn't know that Shanahan was part of that team The only one involved in two infamous brawls.

mjlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:59 AM
sandysan

Quote:

and lemieux who was not a fighter took on a legit heavy in mccarthy, willingly. because claude lemieux was such a beast that draper must have feared for his life from those fists.

If you are fine with fourth line pain in the ass players not fighting their own battles for fear of losing, perhaps they might want to revisit their roles.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Moose Head

Quote:

More like 2 inches and 30lbs.

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee View Post
Shanahan was talking about the infamous brawl during the WJC I think it was in Kladno, where the Canadian and Russian junior teams fought until they literally turned the lights off and then DQ both teams
It was in Pieťany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee View Post
Didn't know that Shanahan was part of that team The only one involved in two infamous brawls.
Vladimir Konstantinov and Sergey Fyodorov were also in both games.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
He had plenty of chances to settle himself, so did McCarthy. But he never did and mmccarthy only did with a punk ass sucker move and still wings fans say that lemieux was the one who lacked the intestinal fortitude while cheering a punk ass move.

Oh and when wings fans ( and players apparently now) wax poetic about poor Chris draper they always ignore the fact that the only one willing to settle up face to face (while punching up) was lemieux.

Draper was not talent that needed to be protected, he could have stepped up a whole lot of times but never did. So much for "hating those guys" if you don't have the balls to act on it but defer to someone to do it for you.

I wish Gary Roberts would have pummeled him at the alumni game.

Lemieux was a rat but he answered the bell. When the bell rang repeatedly for draper he pretended he didn't hear it.
lol literally no one cares about this

Someone beat Lemieux's face in. That's all we care about.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
mjlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
It was in Pieťany.

Vladimir Konstantinov and Sergey Fyodorov were also in both games.
Ah, thanks for the correction, this is what happens when you don't bother with google. I just remember Shanahan talking about it in the ad.

I think part of the reason for the buddy-buddy these days are not only the increase of camps, major junior hockey but also of frequent trades. I mean even Kessel has ended up happy on the Ducks, carpooling with Getzlaf the first season he was there Back in ye really olden days switching/being traded from one team to another was unthinkable. Can't find the source now but I read that back in the 6 team days when everyone traveled by train, they had to put the teams in different parts of the train or someone would start a fight. Now that was a feud.

mjlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:

I can vouch for this. You can go into any sports store at any mall and get one of those framed McCarty Fight Night in Hockeytown photos.

Kozlov got Foote.
Lemieux got Kozloz.
Draper got in Lemieux's face after Kozlov.
Lemieux got Draper.
McCarty got Lemieux.
Foote tried to get McCarty, but Shanahan got Foote first.

It's the circle of life, basically.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 02:01 PM
sandysan

Quote:

you don't care that the only way that Lemieux got his face beat in was from a much better fighter who picked his spot to sucker punch him and then when Lemieux consented for a rematch was at best was a draw against a non figher?

oh and in all of the fights between the avs and the wings that chris draper featured prominently in none of them ?

Yeah, that speaks volumes.

You think a guy did you dirty, you settle up. you don't ask a heavy to go around protecting a PITA 4th line grinder.

Old
03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
wingsnut19

Quote:
you don't care that the only way that Lemieux got his face beat in was from a much better fighter who picked his spot to sucker punch him and then when Lemieux consented for a rematch was at best was a draw against a non figher?

oh and in all of the fights between the avs and the wings that chris draper featured prominently in none of them ?

Yeah, that speaks volumes.

You think a guy did you dirty, you settle up. you don't ask a heavy to go around protecting a PITA 4th line grinder.
Did you even read the article?

wingsnut19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Sentinel

Sorry, dude, not one Red Wings fan will give you sympathy. McCarty stood up for his teammates, be it Larionov or Shanahan. He didn't give a damn, and that's why everyone loved him. Not to mention he scored when needed be (and had Roy's number, for some reason). Also Draper was his frequent linemate and a friend.

I remember that game. My junior year at the University of Michigan. I was living off campus, and my cable didn't carry Pass-Sports, a channel that this game was on. So I crawled into my old dorm's common room and tried watching the game there. I got to The Fight, but then somebody squealed on me, and I was thrown out (this felt like being given a game misconduct ), and rushed home only to see blurred lines, but still hear Mickey Redmond's happy voice, as he called McCarty's goal in OT. I then watched the highlights on another channel.

Those series were truly special. The words "McNichols Arena" had a special meaning to every Detroit fan. I just have to say I never "hated" the Avs. I always thought they were a terrific team, and Sakic and Kamensky were among my favorite players. In 2001, after the Wings' meltdown against LA, I even routed for them because of Bourque. I just knew that EVERY TIME these two teams met, it was gonna be a gem. They had all the talent in the world split between the two of them (probably as much talent as the entire League has right now), with the intensity to match! The best time in hockey!

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 02:56 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut19 View Post
Did you even read the article?
I did which is why it makes me hate Kris Draper even more. Talking about getting even by proxy " I look over and McCarthy is wailing on Lemieux".

For all the griping about how his team hated the avs, not disliked but hated, kris draper never lifted a single finger in support of that hate.

And I like McCarthy, think that outside of this he was a pretty good guy. But why is it that the meme is always that " Lemieux turtled" when in reality it was that McCarty suckered a non tough guy on opportunity # 35 ?

And for the record I like Tie domi as well but me liking him doesn't give him license to sucker a guy like samuelson.

Old
03-16-2017, 02:59 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Sorry, dude, not one Red Wings fan will give you sympathy. McCarty stood up for his teammates, be it Larionov or Shanahan. He didn't give a damn, and that's why everyone loved him. Not to mention he scored when needed be (and had Roy's number, for some reason). Also Draper was his frequent linemate and a friend.

I remember that game. My junior year at the University of Michigan. I was living off campus, and my cable didn't carry Pass-Sports, a channel that this game was on. So I crawled into my old dorm's common room and tried watching the game there. I got to The Fight, but then somebody squealed on me, and I was thrown out (this felt like being given a game misconduct ), and rushed home only to see blurred lines, but still hear Mickey Redmond's happy voice, as he called McCarty's goal in OT. I then watched the highlights on another channel.

Those series were truly special. The words "McNichols Arena" had a special meaning to every Detroit fan. I just have to say I never "hated" the Avs. I always thought they were a terrific team, and Sakic and Kamensky were among my favorite players. In 2001, after the Wings' meltdown against LA, I even routed for them because of Bourque. I just knew that EVERY TIME these two teams met, it was gonna be a gem. They had all the talent in the world split between the two of them (probably as much talent as the entire League has right now), with the intensity to match! The best time in hockey!
so the wings signed a tough guy to go an protect a PITA 4th liner ? Really ? Since when does Draper need protection ? Oh since he chose to never man up himself, that's when.

and if McCarty as a legit toughie had a beef with Lemieux, he has lots of options at his disposal other than suckering an unknowing opponent. When he did for round 2, how'd that turn out for him against a guy who knows he's gonna go and can throw with both hands ?

Old
03-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
McCarthy would probably have his number retired right then and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Who?
Sandy McCarthy??

I'll say this...as Mitch Albom said after that night in March, Darren McCarty will never have to buy another drink in Detroit, ever again....which if you've read his book, was really not a good thing for a while, but glad he's doing a lot better these days!

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote