HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Darnell Nurse

Old
03-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Da McBomb

vCash: 500
It is my hope that Nurse will learn to use his big shot more often... take that next step like Klefbom did this year. Hopefully next year, Nurse will get some opportunities on the PP. Surely... he's got a better point shot than Sekera?

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:48 PM
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%

3.75M x 8 years. He's not quite as good as Klef or Larsson yet and those guys are making 4.25M/yr

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:55 PM
McDavid Gilmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCanovin View Post
3.75M x 8 years. He's not quite as good as Klef or Larsson yet and those guys are making 4.25M/yr
I think those guys make 4.167 and I would be fine giving that same number to Nurse over an 8 year contract. I feel that Nurse has shown just as much potential as Klefbom when he signed his deal. At the time of that signing we didn't know that Klefbom would be this good and we were paying for potential.

McDavid Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDavid Gilmour View Post
I think those guys make 4.167 and I would be fine giving that same number to Nurse over an 8 year contract. I feel that Nurse has shown just as much potential as Klefbom when he signed his deal. At the time of that signing we didn't know that Klefbom would be this good and we were paying for potential.
I think Chia needs to be smart here. Benning is also having a good year if not better than Nurse's. Do we give him the standard 4M x 8 yrs next year as well?

Klef(4.15)-Larsson(4.15)
Sekere(5.5)-(6?)
Nurse(4.15)-Benning(4)

That's an expensive d-core

Nurse and Benning will have to take less than Klef/Larsson

McCanovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:02 PM
tiger_80

His speed, strength and physicality alone should make him a strong candidate to turn into a good shutdown d-man capable of playing 20+ minutes a night. I'd say he has the pedigree and potential to be as good as Larsson one day. Maybe with slightly more offense. At worst, he's a 3rd pairing defensive d-man (what he is currently).

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:04 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I think Chia needs to be smart here. Benning is also having a good year if not better than Nurse's. Do we give him the standard 4M x 8 yrs next year as well?

Klef(4.15)-Larsson(4.15)
Sekere(5.5)-(6?)
Nurse(4.15)-Benning(4)

You can't take so many gambles. It's great it worked out with Klefbom. But for every Klefbom, there is RNH and Eberle (both are overpaid). There is no need to risk it with Nurse and Benning. Give both bridge contracts and see how they fare. I'd say chances are one of them will have to be moved in the future. If Nurse, develops into the real top pairing d-man, you give him the market rate and move somebody else to get cap space.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Spawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not quite is an understatement. He's not close to either of them. Still very early in his career though of course. I wouldn't think about a contract extension until we see how he contributes next season.

If he builds on this season into next year then we can talk about such a lengthy extension I think.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Asiaoil
Vperod Bizona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Not quite is an understatement. He's not close to either of them. Still very early in his career though of course. I wouldn't think about a contract extension until we see how he contributes next season.

If he builds on this season into next year then we can talk about such a lengthy extension I think.
Exactly - some of the comments are wildly optimistic. Nurse has been placed in an appropriate role - 3rd pair against softer opposition - but even with that Nurse-Benning got torched in terms of possession and shots against by the Bruins.

https://twitter.com/OilersNerdAlert/...85265944199168

Nurse did make a number of good stick plays and skated well but the Bruins were going hard after Benning and having success. Both of these young guys have some offense to their game but need a stable vet to clean up their messes and be more successful. Both are still years away from being able to successfully handle tough opposition regularly - but they do have potential and are being handled properly.

Was thinking last tonight about how far this team has come since Chia took over. In the fall of 2015 Nurse was our "toughness" and the kid was doing crazy things like taking on Looch. Now he can simply provide support to our main weapons (Maroon, Kass) and the nuclear deterrent (Looch). Big change and even little guys like Benning and Cags play tough knowing the team has their back.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
Exactly - some of the comments are wildly optimistic. Nurse has been placed in an appropriate role - 3rd pair against softer opposition - but even with that Nurse-Benning got torched in terms of possession and shots against by the Bruins.

https://twitter.com/OilersNerdAlert/...85265944199168

Nurse did make a number of good stick plays and skated well but the Bruins were going hard after Benning and having success. Both of these young guys have some offense to their game but need a stable vet to clean up their messes and be more successful. Both are still years away from being able to successfully handle tough opposition regularly - but they do have potential and are being handled properly.

Was thinking last tonight about how far this team has come since Chia took over. In the fall of 2015 Nurse was our "toughness" and the kid was doing crazy things like taking on Looch. Now he can simply provide support to our main weapons (Maroon, Kass) and the nuclear deterrent (Looch). Big change and even little guys like Benning and Cags play tough knowing the team has their back.
Made up almost entirely by score effects. When a team gets a lead they take foot off peddle and losing team tends to outshoot them a ton. Positive up till late 2nd

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Aceboogie

Id love to lock up Nurse asap long term. In a bit of a gamble deal ala Klefbom deal

Maybe 7 years * 4 million

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 05:01 PM
DisgruntledGoat*

You know, I like to think I'm usually pretty reserved on projecting prospects (I was burned badly in the Rita/Comrie/Brewer era). But I guess I'm going to be the homer in this thread...

I think this guy absolutely oozes potential and could be a top ten defenseman one day. He's doesn't have the same hockey sense or point shot but I see a lot of Chris Pronger in him. That's still an insanely good defenseman.

There's some positioning and reading the play issues but that's normal at his age (anyone remember how terrible Chara looked when he first broke in?). With his physical abilities, work ethic and competitiveness, he'll fix that.

Nurse will play for Team Canada in at least one best-on-best tournament. Book it.

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Asiaoil
Vperod Bizona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Made up almost entirely by score effects. When a team gets a lead they take foot off peddle and losing team tends to outshoot them a ton. Positive up till late 2nd

Doesn't change the fact that the other pairs were significantly better and the Bruins were targeting Benning in particular. Both guys have potential - but both also have a long way to go before they are reliable top 4 dmen.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
walktheboulavard

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that the other pairs were significantly better and the Bruins were targeting Benning in particular. Both guys have potential - but both also have a long way to go before they are reliable top 4 dmen.
Looks like Nurse took care of his end on link with the shot chart posted above so don't understand the logic behind evaluating an individuals performance/ potential based on results of the two as a pair. We all saw how effective Nurse was with the stick and the one incredible sequence in which he dummied Marchand, displaying speed, size/reach and power. Don't think Nurse has as far to go as a top 4 D man as you might think. McLellan promoted him to top pair just before he got injured when Klef was struggling and has used him against top competition from time to time as well. Kid's a stud.

walktheboulavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:38 PM
McSpecial Blend

He is still super raw for me. Tools are amazing. After he gains more offensive confidence and realizes he has a bit more time with the puck because of his skating...sky is the limit. I have no doubts that he will be working hard on his shot and how to get it through to the net. Kid has a unreal work ethic and we are very fortunate to have him.

McSpecial Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Asiaoil
Vperod Bizona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walktheboulavard View Post
Looks like Nurse took care of his end on link with the shot chart posted above so don't understand the logic behind evaluating an individuals performance/ potential based on results of the two as a pair. We all saw how effective Nurse was with the stick and the one incredible sequence in which he dummied Marchand, displaying speed, size/reach and power. Don't think Nurse has as far to go as a top 4 D man as you might think. McLellan promoted him to top pair just before he got injured when Klef was struggling and has used him against top competition from time to time as well. Kid's a stud.
Nurse was in way over his head last season, but has progressed to being pretty good in a 3rd pair role against softer comp. He's doing fine but people see some results against the bottom lines and immediately project that to being ready for top 6 guys - not the case as we saw with Davidson this season and Benning lately. Defense is a hard position and team will isolate weaknesses and attack until you force them to change focus. 300 games is what most guys need before you see their complete upside and squeeze out the errors, and Nurse is probably not an exception.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Nurse was in way over his head last season, but has progressed to being pretty good in a 3rd pair role against softer comp. He's doing fine but people see some results against the bottom lines and immediately project that to being ready for top 6 guys - not the case as we saw with Davidson this season and Benning lately. Defense is a hard position and team will isolate weaknesses and attack until you force them to change focus. 300 games is what most guys need before you see their complete upside and squeeze out the errors, and Nurse is probably not an exception.
I think most people are hopeful about Nurse, and would only view him as a sure thing top 4 player or top pairing player in the same way a gambler would use that term.

But for the Davidson comparison, Davidson is 3 years older than Nurse and doesn't have nearly Nurse's physical gifts and raw abilities. And of course he doesn't have his draft pedigree.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 642
Quote:

Klef(4.15)-Larsson(4.15)
Sekere(5.5)-(6?)
Nurse(4.15)-Benning(4)

Nurse and Benning will have to take less than Klef/Larsson
Both Nurse and Benning have another year to prove themselves. If Nurse outplays Klefbom then he will get his 4M. If Benning earns a 4M contract after next year then he would surely be our answer at #4.
Bridge deal would surely be better route considering the number of RFAs we have to sign in 2 yrs.

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:18 PM
McTrashBoat
Show me the deed

vCash: 314
Right now I'm a little tempted to give Nurse the Klefbom deal, but the season (and hopefully more) isn't even over yet

I hope he proves himself for his age and we lock him in long term

McTrashBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:24 PM
KCC

3-4 mill is fine by me especially if he develops and can really become the player we hope him to be. Then it'll be great value.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Draiskull

2018 RFA\UFAs

McDavid
Slepychev
Caggiula
Maroon
Letestu
Benning
Nurse
Brossoit

Based on that I think going the bridge deal would be the way to go for Nurse and Benning unless we plan on walking away from Maroon.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draiskull View Post
Both Nurse and Benning have another year to prove themselves. If Nurse outplays Klefbom then he will get his 4M. If Benning earns a 4M contract after next year then he would surely be our answer at #4.
Bridge deal would surely be better route considering the number of RFAs we have to sign in 2 yrs.
If we're anticipating that Nurse would get something like Klefbom's level of play and want him at 4 million, we'd have to re-sign him this offseason. If Klefbom were an RFA this summer he'd get 6 million. He signed his current deal when there were still doubts about him. I recall Larsson also being in a similar situation. His big breakout season was last year, and his deal was signed before that.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:37 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
If we're anticipating that Nurse would get something like Klefbom's level of play and want him at 4 million, we'd have to re-sign him this offseason. If Klefbom were an RFA this summer he'd get 6 million. He signed his current deal when there were still doubts about him. I recall Larsson also being in a similar situation. His big breakout season was last year, and his deal was signed before that.
Yup. I say we lock up Nurse right away. Long term at anything in the 3-4M range would be perfect.

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Da McBomb

I consider Nurse to be a big part of this team's core going forward. You should not be afraid to lock up such a player to a good long term deal asap

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
6yr x 4M = 24M over 6yrs
vs
2.75 x 2yr bridge + 4yrs x 5M = 25.5M over 6yrs

Option B is a bit more but gives us cap flexibility to sign McDavid.

Give a bridge deal to Benning on top and we can retain Maroon for a couple more yrs instead of being forced to let him walk.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da McBomb View Post
I consider Nurse to be a big part of this team's core going forward. You should not be afraid to lock up such a player to a good long term deal asap
Just because you are not "locking them up" doesnt mean they cant still be part of your future. Locking up Hall didnt make him an Oiler for life. There is nothing wrong with bridge deals.