HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Darnell Nurse

Old
06-17-2017, 12:01 AM
Burnt Biscuits

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain View Post
Benning separated himself from Nurse this year with his open ice prowess imo

Nurse is a still a bottom pair dman. Throwing some open ice hits would do him some good.

The moniker"nasty" is a complete farce. Nurse spends most games swiping at pucks.
Benning just played better than Nurse and he did catch more guys napping, but he is also older than Nurse despite this being his rookie season. Throwing open ice-hits for the heck of it is stupidity at it's finest, opportunities will arise where it can be the right or acceptable play and yeah I'd like Nurse to take more advantage of those, but watching that Zadorov clip I couldn't help but notice how many times he left himself in horrible position trying to get a highlight reel hit.

Nurse is plenty nasty, he often does as much as one possibly can without taking a penalty which is generally what you want. He might not have as many bone crunching hits as Zadorov, but he's working guys over infront of the net all the time and bullying people in the corners, people are paying a physical toll when they play against Nurse and if a situation calls for dropping the mitts he is a willing combatant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyTheBrain
He's a bottom pair dman, his job at this point is to crush people. Look at Gryba when he is effective. Making an impact on games. If Gryba had Nurse's foot speed he would be way more valuable right now...hands down

Nurse is almost as physically skilled than Gryba, and can recover faster

Nurse is spending his minutes trying to play like Klefbom when he should be trying to play with an actual edge...especially from a bottom pair
Bottom pair players job isn't to "crush" people, what a moronic statement, it's the same as any other d-pair on the teams job, help the team win the game by playing good sound hockey within the confines of the defensive system McLellan has laid out. If Nurse was throwing himself around without a care in the world like you want, he might have more highlight reel hits, but he wouldn't play much cause McLellan isn't going to give him a pass for blowing defensive assignments just cause he wants to end up on some highlight package for dolling out big hits. Nurse isn't capable of playing like Klefbom, he has his own brand of hockey and he will get better at it over time, but if I could have another Klefbom on the 3rd pairing over your mobile big hitting d-man with rocks for brains, I'd take another Klefbom please and thanks.

The game has changed, I know Chia does like to have that hard hitting element on his teams, but d-man that just got by, by being big hitters are going the way of the dodo, defensive structure takes higher priority. Mark Fistric was still capable of laying people out, but no one wants him; Gryba was looking around last year for a team to take him on and we were the only one; Vitaly Visneski was one of the better ones at doing what you want and he had a semi-decent career, but a point came where he just got passed around like a hot potato till no one wanted him.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:02 AM
VainGretzky
100 million

Quote:
Disagree. A few highlights here and there may make your argument, but as a whole, Nurse has been underwhelming as a physical presence or a threat to the other team.

He does his job on the boards...but so does Klef. Nurse is not a tier above in that aspect. Like I said, it really is a misconception.

Nurse is not nearly as imposing as we drafted him or as advertised
Maybe lets wait till he plays more than 115 games before we run this young man out of town and deem him a major disappointment

VainGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:03 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
Disagree. A few highlights here and there may make your argument, but as a whole, Nurse has been underwhelming as a physical presence or a threat to the other team.

He does his job on the boards...but so does Klef. Nurse is not a tier above in that aspect. Like I said, it really is a misconception.

Nurse is not nearly as imposing as we drafted him or as advertised

It's why Benning in 62 games was way more noticed in the physical department as Nurse this year. He made way more hits count
We're going to have to disagree on this one. Nurse has a lot to learn in regards to positioning and timing but he is nasty in the corners and in front of the net. You get near Nurse and he always has bad intentions. His issue is defending in space and decision making with the puck, physicality is NOT an issue.

You seem to be fixated on open ice hits being the mark of a physical defenseman when in reality, coaches try to coax that out of players because it takes them out of position. I'm actually glad that Nurse has toned down on that. Look at how many times going for a big hit took Gryba out of position, when it works it looks beautiful but when it doesn't work (which is most of the time), it's detrimental to the team.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:04 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainGretzky View Post
Maybe lets wait till he plays more than 115 games before we run this young man out of town and deem him a major disappointment
Agreed completely.

Have people already forgotten how good Nurse looked from October through to his injury?

There were stretches of games he was our best defenceman.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:07 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Why are we talking about Nurse?

Is he rumoured to be on the move?
No, Bobbythebrain is just mad that Nurse isn't a prime Scott Stevens.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:20 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Benning just played better than Nurse and he did catch more guys napping, but he is also older than Nurse despite this being his rookie season. Throwing open ice-hits for the heck of it is stupidity at it's finest, opportunities will arise where it can be the right or acceptable play and yeah I'd like Nurse to take more advantage of those, but watching that Zadorov clip I couldn't help but notice how many times he left himself in horrible position trying to get a highlight reel hit.

Nurse is plenty nasty, he often does as much as one possibly can without taking a penalty which is generally what you want. He might not have as many bone crunching hits as Zadorov, but he's working guys over infront of the net all the time and bullying people in the corners, people are paying a physical toll when they play against Nurse and if a situation calls for dropping the mitts he is a willing combatant.
Bottom pair players job isn't to "crush" people, what a moronic statement, it's the same as any other d-pair on the teams job, help the team win the game by playing good sound hockey within the confines of the defensive system McLellan has laid out. If Nurse was throwing himself around without a care in the world like you want, he might have more highlight reel hits, but he wouldn't play much cause McLellan isn't going to give him a pass for blowing defensive assignments just cause he wants to end up on some highlight package for dolling out big hits. Nurse isn't capable of playing like Klefbom, he has his own brand of hockey and he will get better at it over time, but if I could have another Klefbom on the 3rd pairing over your mobile big hitting d-man with rocks for brains, I'd take another Klefbom please and thanks.

The game has changed, I know Chia does like to have that hard hitting element on his teams, but d-man that just got by, by being big hitters are going the way of the dodo, defensive structure takes higher priority. Mark Fistric was still capable of laying people out, but no one wants him; Gryba was looking around last year for a team to take him on and we were the only one; Vitaly Visneski was one of the better ones at doing what you want and he had a semi-decent career, but a point came where he just got passed around like a hot potato till no one wanted him.
Nurse is a cut above those guys.

Hitting is not going the way of the dodo. You are using some bottom pairing guys to make tour argument

Risto, Doughty, Weber, Seabrook make some nasty hits. Nurse is not in the Karlsson and Klingberg category, sorry to say

As stated, Nurse has all the physical tools to recover and make plays with the ability to recover. He chooses to be docile for the most part. Year 2.5 and he still chooses to play like Klefbom vs Larsson.

That is a fact. I stand by my statement...his "nasty" is still a thing to be desired

bobbythebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:22 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post

No. I just challenged that Nurse is a dman with an edge. Much like RNH is defensive phenom

Old
06-17-2017, 12:27 AM
Azor ahai
GOT snow?

vCash: 75
Quote:
I have no clue what the coaching staff is telling him. I'm sure neither do you

What I do know is that he was drafted for his "nasty" game which has been non existent mostly at the NHL level

Are you suggesting that management has instructed him to abandon being a physical presence on the ice for the time being?

That would be stupid as most teams encourage that.

Imagine if Weber was told...stop hitting, it's not your game

Also, big difference between Phanuef and Buff in top minutes losing position for hits than Nurse in a bottom pair. Now is when it should be encouraged
Really don't think you know what "nasty" in the NHL sense means. Chris pronger was one of the nastiest players of the last 20 years and he rarely threw big open ice hits, but god help anyone going into the corner with him. Nurse is very difficult to play against in the corners and along the boards, that's what "nasty" is.

And you should never, ever encourage a player to lose position for a hit. That's just bad hockey.

Azor ahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:38 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azor ahai View Post
Really don't think you know what "nasty" in the NHL sense means. Chris pronger was one of the nastiest players of the last 20 years and he rarely threw big open ice hits, but god help anyone going into the corner with him. Nurse is very difficult to play against in the corners and along the boards, that's what "nasty" is.

And you should never, ever encourage a player to lose position for a hit. That's just bad hockey.
LOL. I know exactly what Pronger is. My fave dman. Nurse is nowhere near that.

Nurse isn't that guy in corners. I don't think you know what that is. As stated, I've seen that Nurse in corners from time to time, he has done it. but over a season...nope

Pronger also dished out the dirty in open ice via cheap shots. So don't even try and compare the 2

Nurse gets caught playing the puck way more than he commits to dishing out punishment. His poke checks are as equal as his pins

Call it a learning curve. Ok. I can live with that that as we have no clue what the future holds. He may be just working on his game

But please don't try and make comparisons or say he is nasty right now...cuz he ain't.

Old
06-17-2017, 12:39 AM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

In regards of Nurse, he played relatively well until the unfortunate injury. Coming back from an ankle ligament & bone damage surgery isn't easy either.

McAsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Azor ahai
GOT snow?

vCash: 75
Quote:
LOL. I know exactly what Pronger is. My fave dman. Nurse is nowhere near that.

Nurse isn't that guy in corners. I don't think you know what that is. As stated, I've seen that Nurse in corners from time to time, he has done it. but over a season...nope

Pronger also dished out the dirty in open ice via cheap shots. So don't even try and compare the 2

Nurse gets caught playing the puck way more than he commits to dishing out punishment. His poke checks are as equal as his pins

Call it a learning curve. Ok. I can live with that that as we have no clue what the future holds. He may be just working on his game

But please don't try and make comparisons or say he is nasty right now...cuz he ain't.
Completely disagree, and I think most NHL forwards who DO go into the corners with him would disagree with you as well.

Anywhooooo how bout that eberle guy....he getting traded or what?

Azor ahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:42 AM
McShogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Prime Scott Stevens would be suspended for half the season in today's game.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:48 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShogun99 View Post
Prime Scott Stevens would be suspended for half the season in today's game.
Gudas and Byfuglien likes this

Old
06-17-2017, 12:49 AM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Its plays like these that made me value Nurse highly. At that time, Dergachyov had 10-20 pounds on Nurse, yet was unable to do anything against him at the boards. Hell, he's still physically maturing. Can't imagine how it'll be for opponents once Nurse's body completely matures.

Old
06-17-2017, 12:56 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAsuno View Post

Its plays like these that made me value Nurse highly. At that time, Dergachyov had 10-20 pounds on Nurse, yet was unable to do anything against him at the boards. Hell, he's still physically maturing. Can't imagine how it'll be for opponents once Nurse's body completely matures.
That sentiment has been going on for 2 years. As stated...still waiting. Might come? I'm not disputing that

I am however disputing when people say he is nasty and doing it right now. No he ain't.

He's a bottom pair dman who is underwhelming in the physical department, and his physical game is very unimpactiful at the NHL level...except for the odd fight

Old
06-17-2017, 01:02 AM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
That sentiment has been going on for 2 years. As stated...still waiting. Might come? I'm not disputing that

I am however disputing when people say he is nasty and doing it right now. No he ain't.

He's a bottom pair dman who is underwhelming in the physical department, and his physical game is very unimpactiful at the NHL level...except for the odd fight
I'll have to disagree. He isn't full out nasty like Radko Gudas as an example, but he does have nastiness to his game. Still can't forget he hasn't fully matured yet either. And like I said, he played pretty great until he got hit with the unfortunate injury. Its not easy to come back from that sort of injury and play at a 100% level. Nonetheless, not sure why we're discussing about Nurse. I personally don't see him getting moved.

But for the love of God, I hope there'll be tons of moves before the freeze hits tomorrow. The only trade today, despite the countless rumors and speculations from the media and insiders has been

Arizona:
C Nick Cousins
G Merrick Madsen

Philadelphia:
LW Brendan Warren
2018 5th Round Pick

Just flat out boring.

Old
06-17-2017, 01:17 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Nurse is a cut above those guys.

Hitting is not going the way of the dodo. You are using some bottom pairing guys to make tour argument

Risto, Doughty, Weber, Seabrook make some nasty hits. Nurse is not in the Karlsson and Klingberg category, sorry to say

As stated, Nurse has all the physical tools to recover and make plays with the ability to recover. He chooses to be docile for the most part. Year 2.5 and he still chooses to play like Klefbom vs Larsson.

That is a fact. I stand by my statement...his "nasty" is still a thing to be desired
Look back at Nurse since his draft year . He improved each and every year . He is still a baby when it comes to defensive men in the NHL . If he takes another step forward this off season he will be challenging for a top 4 spot . As for your above comparison I never seen one Oiler fan who likes Nurse compare him to any of the above mention D . LOL at you even putting Karlsson in there . Doing so shows you are grasping at straws

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:30 AM
McVirginOil

I think Nurse got to really make the jump this year, he has the physical aspects for sure but his hockey IQ needs to be worked on, a lot of times he just does unnecessary moves in his own zone (spinorama against Getzlaf) but he's a great puck carrier when he gets space.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to trying Nurse on the wing one day. Put him on the Burns plan

I think Anaheim is gonna pay Vegas premium tomorrow to not pick up Manson, I'm guessing a pick and a real nice young dman like a Montour or Theodore

McVirginOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:33 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSuper View Post
Look back at Nurse since his draft year . He improved each and every year . He is still a baby when it comes to defensive men in the NHL . If he takes another step forward this off season he will be challenging for a top 4 spot . As for your above comparison I never seen one Oiler fan who likes Nurse compare him to any of the above mention D . LOL at you even putting Karlsson in there . Doing so shows you are grasping at straws
Some people tend to forget this.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:41 AM
bobbythebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSuper View Post
This is my last Nurse post. I think you missed the point

Nurse has high draft pedigree. All I did was challenge the notion that he is a nasty dman.

He is not!! He has spent them last 2 years on a bottom pair or AHL trying to learn defense. Nothing wrong with that obviously. Development comes in different stages.

But when a post comes out definitive saying Nurse plays with an "edge". BS. He is nothing like the OHL player he was drafted for.

He has not been that player on the Oil. Somehow a few games, fights and a mugging have reinforced that.

It's been 2 years and like said, a player like Benning has already surpassed him on the physical=impact department

Nurse may be better than Benning in a few years..who knows. But Nurse is not "nasty". He's had 2 years earn that in the NHL

Can you name 1 game where Nurse imposed his will during gameplay physically that impacted the outcome? I doubt you can

I can name several where Gryba and Benning did

I can pinpoint a few games where Keith Aulie did also. Like significantly

Last edited by bobbythebrain: 06-17-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old
06-17-2017, 01:48 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAsuno View Post
In regards of Nurse, he played relatively well until the unfortunate injury. Coming back from an ankle ligament & bone damage surgery isn't easy either.
Good observation.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Nurse plays a nasty game, he is not easy to play against and is much more like Larsson than Klefbom in terms of being a nasty piece of business to play against. Where I do agree with Bobby is that Nurse has not shown to be a big hitter at the NHL level on a consistent basis. I still think that Nurse is a little too thin to play such a game on a consistent basis. I think that if he adds 10lbs. of muscle mass that he could play a bit more of that kind of a game. He certainly has the skating ability to hit guys but I think more mass would help him a lot in this regard.