HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

True North: 3% ticket increase on STH (maximum), Too much?

Old
03-15-2017, 04:20 PM
HighFlyingJets

vCash: 500
True North: 3% ticket increase on STH (maximum), Too much?

Got the email today about renewing for the 2017-2018 season, Don't know if its appropriate or not to start a thread on this but this increase has me in a fury.

I cannot believe TN is can justify increasing ticket pricing every year when they put a terrible product on the ice. Its just bad business. Im sure more people are upset like me?

Whats your peoples thoughts?

And obviously I'm still going to renew being a diehard fan and all but its still infuriating.

HighFlyingJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingJets View Post
Got the email today about renewing for the 2017-2018 season, Don't know if its appropriate or not to start a thread on this but this increase has me in a fury.

I cannot believe TN is can justify increasing ticket pricing every year when they put a terrible product on the ice. Its just bad business. Im sure more people are upset like me?

Whats your peoples thoughts?

And obviously I'm still going to renew being a diehard fan and all but its still infuriating.
Of course it's bad business, but the TPA says they can increase the prices, so they will.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 04:37 PM
JetsNut

Were you really expecting anything different? This kind of ties into my point of complacency. Don't get me wrong I am forever indebted to them for brining back the Jets but I just think they have to be careful and don't take the blind support that they have had until now for granted. Consider yourself lucky in a way. Anyone renewing P1's and P2's signed a new 5 year TPA which allows them to raise up to 5% per year. I'd imagine as all the others come out that will be the case for all of them. Which means once everyone has a fresh TPA we can expect a 5% annual increase!

JetsNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

vCash: 50
Considering the product they've been putting on the ice it's a slap in the face to STH. Whether it should be expected or regardless of whether they state the right to do so, it's arrogant to say the least.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:11 PM
gbill2004

Switch over to Bomber season tickets. Much better value and more entertaining.

gbill2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Dayofthedogs

Even though I went off about some STH in another thread I'm actually a little taken aback by the price increase.

TSNE could have shown some good faith to the STH group by not hammering them with an increase this time around considering the last 2 seasons.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Is anyone cancelling mid-contract?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:22 PM
blues10

Interesting that the email did not mention the entertaining on ice product. Instead it focused on the building enhancements.

This is a tad bit mis-leading.

Quote:
An estimated $12-million will be reinvested into the MTS Centre; this renovation project is fully ownership funded, and represents True North’s ongoing commitment to reinvesting in the MTS Centre to continue to enhance the fan experience.
Sure, ownership is spending the $$$$. However, the MTSC is a "community asset" as monies from gaming at the Shark club has to be re-invested in the "community asset" as per TNSE's agreement with the province of Manitoba.

I'll fix it.

Quote:
An estimated $12-million will be reinvested into the MTS Centre; this renovation project is fully ownership funded in conjunction with our gaming agreement with the Province of Manitoba. Approximately half the funds are through revenues directly generated through TNSE business ventures such as your season ticket support and the other half is through our ongoing private/public partnership with the Province of Manitoba. This venture represents True North’s and the Manitoba Governments ongoing commitment to reinvesting in the community asset that is the MTS Centre to continue to enhance the fan experience
Don't really like a business that isn't up front on where the money is coming from when public money is involved. Chipman must have sat beside the IA guys at the last BOG meetings. Don't get me wrong TNSE is in a separate league entirely from IA but this just doesn't appear to be fully up front about where the monies are really coming from.

I have 2 years left on my TPA and then will re-evaluate. It looks like the guys that I share the 2 seats with beside me will be done when the TPA is up. Going to be some good news soon for those on the wait list.

As an aside those that signed up for tickets in Las Vegas got some nice perks.

Quote:
Complimentary team replica jersey (one for
every 2 full season seats purchased) Stanley
Cup Playoff priority
• 9 month interest-free payment plan
Quote:
Accounts that select a 3-year term are
automatically eligible for a price freeze for the
2017 and 2018 seasons (2 year price freeze), while
season ticket members that sign up for a 5- or
10-year term are automatically eligible for a price
freeze for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 (3 year price
freeze) seasons.
Hey, Winnipeg Jet fans are just happy to have a team back. When price increases are higher than my wage increases it is time to throw in the towel.

If TNSE's 6 million from the Shark Club is going into some other project at MTSC I will fully eat my words.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Yukon Joe

Unfortunately, whether the Winnipeg Jets win or lose, they have the same expenses and costs. And those costs go up each and every year along with the salary cap.

Now, it's fair game to point out that with the Bank of Canada projecting a 2% inflation rate in 2017, why they need to increase by 3%. But make no mistake, the prices have to go up some amount every year.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:39 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Unfortunately, whether the Winnipeg Jets win or lose, they have the same expenses and costs. And those costs go up each and every year along with the salary cap.

Now, it's fair game to point out that with the Bank of Canada projecting a 2% inflation rate in 2017, why they need to increase by 3%. But make no mistake, the prices have to go up some amount every year.
What are the Jets at for ticket increases? 17% compounded over the 1st six seasons.

Would have at least been nice to throw a bone out there. "Winnipeg Jets will be increasing ticket prices 3% next season and as a commitment to winning will have a ticket freeze if we fail to make the playoffs for the 2017/18 season"

Whatever happened to this program?

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in the Winnipeg Jets (Manitoba Moose) Loaded Ticket program. We are in the process of finalizing details for this program, and will be making these details available as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience as we prepare to introduce this very exciting initiative for the remainder of the 2016-17 Winnipeg Jets season!
https://www.nhl.com/jets/ticketcentr...able-jets-pass

Nothing like rolling out a program that never happened.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post

If you don't count massive reduction in the players share of revenue (from 57% to 50%) in the new CBA after the lockout, I suppose their costs have remained steady. That said, they have never been a cap team, so it's not really correct to say that their costs have increased.

On the other hand, they have had significant revenue increases. Ticket revenues are only one component, and they are way above inflation. Concessions have increased by 3-4 times the price of inflation. We just had a Heritage Classic that probably took in $7-10M in revenues and Chippy gets to cash a $16M cheque for Vegas expansion. Sure, the Canadian dollar has decreased significantly but this is mostly offset by receiving revenue sharing, as per Chipman.

While the ticket price increases are bold and annoying given the junk product, the bigger concern is that the Moose have been given priority for weekend games and so we are down from 12-15 prime nights per year to 6 or 7. They know we are locked into our contracts and that nobody in their right mind would goto a Moose game on a Tuesday. So guess who is playing Saturday? its short sighted and drives me bananas.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 06:48 PM
jefferoni
mother was a hamster

vCash: 777
As an added little tidbit, Moose package prices are increasing 5% next season...

Quote:
Following the completion of a number of upgrades associated with arena bowl enhancements in 2016, a comprehensive renovation in the MTS Centre is planned for 2017. The building renovation will focus on the MTS Centre concourses and Portage Avenue Atrium, transforming the overall experience for Manitoba Moose fans inside the MTS Centre. An announcement of the MTS Centre renovations was shared with all Manitoba Moose package holders via email on February 24th, and we look forward to sharing further details of these exciting changes with you as the renovations progress.

After keeping our package prices the same for the 2016-17 season, package prices will be increasing by 5% for the 2017-18 season, resulting in a per-game increase of $1.25, $1.00 and $0.75 respectively for our P1, P2 and P3 package holders.

jefferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 06:49 PM
flyingjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
If you don't count massive reduction in the players share of revenue (from 57% to 50%) in the new CBA after the lockout, I suppose their costs have remained steady. That said, they have never been a cap team, so it's not really correct to say that their costs have increased.

On the other hand, they have had significant revenue increases. Ticket revenues are only one component, and they are way above inflation. Concessions have increased by 3-4 times the price of inflation. We just had a Heritage Classic that probably took in $7-10M in revenues and Chippy gets to cash a $16M cheque for Vegas expansion. Sure, the Canadian dollar has decreased significantly but this is mostly offset by receiving revenue sharing, as per Chipman.

While the ticket price increases are bold and annoying given the junk product, the bigger concern is that the Moose have been given priority for weekend games and so we are down from 12-15 prime nights per year to 6 or 7. They know we are locked into our contracts and that nobody in their right mind would goto a Moose game on a Tuesday. So guess who is playing Saturday? its short sighted and drives me bananas.
This is what drives me up the wall. I cannot believe that we as Jets fans are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to NHL/AHL schedules. If this doesn't get fixed for next season I'm not sure what I'll do. Every other ST holder I know is up in arms about this...I really hope they listen to the concerns of the paying customer!

flyingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 07:28 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Is anyone cancelling mid-contract?
Cancel mid contract you lose your $500/$1000 per seat deposit.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:12 PM
doogie5

Beer prices up 10% ???

doogie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:19 PM
JetsNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie5 View Post
Beer prices up 10% ???
Don't play!

JetsNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1417
Quote:
Beer prices up 10% ???
I've always expected a 3% increase every season so this barely raises an eyebrow. I bought into a 4 person ST group that was comfortable price point for all involved and no one has ever expressed concern about cost. Now the constant raising beer prices are a bit annoying. There should be a $9.00 limit on beer so you can get a couple with a half ass tip for a $20. Now is that too much to ask?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjay View Post
This is what drives me up the wall. I cannot believe that we as Jets fans are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to NHL/AHL schedules. If this doesn't get fixed for next season I'm not sure what I'll do. Every other ST holder I know is up in arms about this...I really hope they listen to the concerns of the paying customer!

Pretty confident it's not that. I would hedge my bets a jets game on a Saturday drives more revenue through concessions then the difference in the moose draw/rev Saturday/Tuesday.

My guess is the drop of games has little to do with the moose and more to do with NHL scheduling and "hockey nights" etc

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post

The Heritage Classic is an NHL event.

What the NHL does is "pay" the Jets the equivalent revenue of one sold out game at the MTS Centre.

The rest of the revenues are split equally among all 30 NHL teams.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:11 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Quote:
Beer prices up 10% ???
A double Rye and coke was $10 IN the 1 st year (red cup)....... and is now $14.00.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Blue Shakehead
because lol Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Pretty confident it's not that. I would hedge my bets a jets game on a Saturday drives more revenue through concessions then the difference in the moose draw/rev Saturday/Tuesday.

My guess is the drop of games has little to do with the moose and more to do with NHL scheduling and "hockey nights" etc
Interesting thought, but the equation would be incremental concessions from Jets on Saturdays vs incremental attendance AND concessions from Moose on Saturday. Moose attendance on weekdays is embarrassing (ie., announced attendance of 2000, eye test of 1200)

I really don't think it's a coincidence that our weekend home games have been reduced by half since the Moose returned.

Blue Shakehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:53 PM
ItchyScratchy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
A double Rye and coke was $10 IN the 1 st year (red cup)....... and is now $14.00.

$7.50 at the Met. Buds are $4.50. Cans and draft. Prices for Buds, pre, during, and post games haven't increased in the past 3 or 4 years. I haven't purchased a single concession from the MTSC since season 1. They can increase my season tickets to the contracts max. I signed the agreement. It was my choice. It's also my choice to abstain from giving TNSE any money besides that for my tickets. Thing is, if ticket increases were on the lower end and if concessions were more moderate, I would spend money at the MTSC. More than what my 3% increase will garner. Not only that, TNSE seems to like to charge even numbers for concessions, which takes tips out of their employees pockets. An example, my buddy, last Sat, wanted a Shock Top (gross). It was $10 even. This negated any tip for the person working concessions. $20 bill handed over. $10 dollar bill returned. They steal the small tips, say a $9.50 beer would result.

I know many people not renewing.

ItchyScratchy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Monorail for Tempe

vCash: 949
Piling on saying I know a lot of people are not renewing.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Piling on saying I know a lot of people are not renewing.
This 3-5% increase in ticket prices for a mediocre product will backfire, when an average 14,000 people turn out for 2017-18 , and True North loses $6 million dollars. Chippy will realize a lesson in Economics 101. Don't overestimate what the market is willing to pay to a dysfunctional organization. Ottawa is a playoff team, and they rarely ever sellout anymore.

$14.00 for one drink??? That is insane. Do they pat people down at the ticket door? People are going to hide mickeys in their body cavity's soon.

Jets4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Monorail for Tempe

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Interesting that the email did not mention the entertaining on ice product. Instead it focused on the building enhancements.

This is a tad bit mis-leading.

Sure, ownership is spending the $$$$. However, the MTSC is a "community asset" as monies from gaming at the Shark club has to be re-invested in the "community asset" as per TNSE's agreement with the province of Manitoba.

I'll fix it.

Don't really like a business that isn't up front on where the money is coming from when public money is involved. Chipman must have sat beside the IA guys at the last BOG meetings. Don't get me wrong TNSE is in a separate league entirely from IA but this just doesn't appear to be fully up front about where the monies are really coming from.

I have 2 years left on my TPA and then will re-evaluate. It looks like the guys that I share the 2 seats with beside me will be done when the TPA is up. Going to be some good news soon for those on the wait list.

As an aside those that signed up for tickets in Las Vegas got some nice perks.

Hey, Winnipeg Jet fans are just happy to have a team back. When price increases are higher than my wage increases it is time to throw in the towel.

If TNSE's 6 million from the Shark Club is going into some other project at MTSC I will fully eat my words.
Hey man, that set of playing cards was pretty nice this year

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote