HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

True North: 3% ticket increase on STH (maximum), Too much?

Old
03-16-2017, 06:05 AM
Eyeseeing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
Even though I went off about some STH in another thread I'm actually a little taken aback by the price increase.

TSNE could have shown some good faith to the STH group by not hammering them with an increase this time around considering the last 2 seasons.
TNSE ought to realize that this money is coming not only from corporate dollars but folks hard earned spending money.
So TNSE ought to not take the fan bases goodwill lightly.
If the product doesn't improve people will vote with their feet.
Whether or not these increases are necessary or not the individual will choose other places in which to spend or invest their dollars.

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shakehead View Post
Interesting thought, but the equation would be incremental concessions from Jets on Saturdays vs incremental attendance AND concessions from Moose on Saturday. Moose attendance on weekdays is embarrassing (ie., announced attendance of 2000, eye test of 1200)

I really don't think it's a coincidence that our weekend home games have been reduced by half since the Moose returned.
Disagree.i understand what the lift would need to be vs just didn't feel like typing out the whole thing. Either way We have no way of knowing, but I just got can see the org putting the moose before he jets. Too far fetched IMO.

Far more likely were getting the shaft from the Hockey Night in Canada producers and the NHL being forced to play mid afternoon Saturday games to fill their time slot.

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:27 AM
robertocarlos

vCash: 171
Wait until you get the bill for the new arena Betttman says we need. Three percent is chump change.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:46 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Wait until you get the bill for the new arena Betttman says we need. Three percent is chump change.
Source, or is this a "hah hah".

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:55 AM
robertocarlos

vCash: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Source, or is this a "hah hah".
He's called out Calgary. It's just a hah hah.

I really think 3 percent is reasonable. I don't know the job market rates but if you do nothing you got a 1 percent raise so it's not too bad.

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:06 AM
cbcwpg

It would have been interesting to see how season ticket prices would have fluctuated over the 6 years if TNSE didn't have the multi-year agreements.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Sabadecade
Die Hard Jets Fan

Quote:
I know a lot of people are not renewing.
I'm not sure opting out mid-contract is going to send TNSE a message at all...
You'll loose your deposit (which is worth more than the compounded increases since year 1), and they'll collect new deposits from others on the waitlist to fill those seats.

To them, it's going to end up being a little of a house cleaning in terms of putting seemingly more committed diehard waitlist fans in seats that will now have been vacated by seemingly less patient fairweather-ish fans.

You might be better off (financially) to ride out your contract and get your deposit back.

And... you'll miss out on the corner the Jets are about to turn! A deep playoff run next season and a true contender the next!

Last edited by Sabadecade: 03-16-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Deedog99

How else can Buff make his $93,000 per game? Pro sports is a ****** up reality. Either you ante up or you don't. But there is a tipping point and at a certain price increase you start to lose money.

Deedog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Jetty
Russ from St.B

Some people simply can't afford to be a STH, no shame in that. I have one buddy that spends a disproportionate amount of his income on entertainment which includes a share in season tickets. He complains about not having money to deal with bare necessities but yet insists on attending a dozen Jets games, taking a cab, buying multiple beers at the game and going somewhere after.

I just think it is madness when he complains about the 3% increase.

Jetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Speaking of doubles for $14...wanna know what really chaps my a$$? You can't get whiskey straight, you HAVE TO get mix poured into your drink.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadecade View Post
I'm not sure opting out mid-contract is going to send TNSE a message at all...
You'll loose your deposit (which is worth more than the compounded increases since year 1), and they'll collect new deposits from others on the waitlist to fill those seats.

To them, it's going to end up being a little of a house cleaning in terms of putting seemingly more committed diehard waitlist fans in seats that will now have been vacated by seemingly less patient fairweather-ish fans.
lol...

You can't be serious. I can tell you what is going to happen. There will be cancellations. Then there will be no wait list, as it will dry up due to the Jets poor on-ice product, and the absurd ticket prices. I think it's far more likely the Jets average 1,000 fans shy of capacity on average for 2017-18.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:02 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
lol...

You can't be serious. I can tell you what is going to happen. There will be cancellations. Then there will be no wait list, as it will dry up due to the Jets poor on-ice product, and the absurd ticket prices. I think it's far more likely the Jets average 1,000 fans shy of capacity on average for 2017-18.
IMO you are way off base. While there is some frustration there are are lots of people wanting season tickets. There was a large segment of ST holders that picked up tickets in the initial frenzy who are poorly suited to be ST holders. Some just can't afford the ongoing cost. Some only care if we have a winning team. But there are still lots of people out there with the disposable income who love hockey who would love to buy in. There will be lots of ups and downs along the way but this is our 2nd and last shot at NHL hockey. And IMO there is enough of us financially comfortable old-timers around that want to be able to go to NHL games on a regular bases not to bail at the first sign of trouble.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
JetsNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
IMO you are way off base. While there is some frustration there are are lots of people wanting season tickets. There was a large segment of ST holders that picked up tickets in the initial frenzy who are poorly suited to be ST holders. Some just can't afford the ongoing cost. Some only care if we have a winning team. But there are still lots of people out there with the disposable income who love hockey who would love to buy in. There will be lots of ups and downs along the way but this is our 2nd and last shot at NHL hockey. And IMO there is enough of us financially comfortable old-timers around that want to be able to go to NHL games on a regular bases not to bail at the first sign of trouble.
Can't agree more.

JetsNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:33 PM
alchemyindex
vereor nox

vCash: 138
I wish I could afford to partner up with a friend for ST. The people cancelling right now are going to be sorry in 2018-2019 when we sit at the top of the Central Division.

alchemyindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:38 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyindex View Post
I wish I could afford to partner up with a friend for ST. The people cancelling right now are going to be sorry in 2018-2019 when we sit at the top of the Central Division.
Are you on the waiting list? I know a few people who are waiting like hawks for the disgruntled to give their ST up.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
alchemyindex
vereor nox

vCash: 138
Quote:
Are you on the waiting list? I know a few people who are waiting like hawks for the disgruntled to give their ST up.
I'm not, unfortunately. I have multiple friends who are that said they'd split with me, but I need to save up!

alchemyindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Not enough to swallow over 15,000 tickets. Ottawa and Vancouver don't even sellout anymore.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Here's the 2017-18 season ticket price list btw:

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:55 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyindex View Post
I'm not, unfortunately. I have multiple friends who are that said they'd split with me, but I need to save up!
Good luck with that and I know how tough it can be. I remember a period with the Jets 1.0 when I was putting myself through university where I could barely afford KD for supper never mind going to a Jets games.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Speaking of doubles for $14...wanna know what really chaps my a$$? You can't get whiskey straight, you HAVE TO get mix poured into your drink.
BARBARIC! At any price.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Not enough to swallow over 15,000 tickets. Ottawa and Vancouver don't even sellout anymore.
Vancouver has had just a couple of 'up' periods in, what, 45 years. The rest of the time it has been just like our 6 years. So, yah they don't have the auto sellout. Ottawa? How many tickets do you think the Jets would sell if the MTSC had been built in downtown Portage La Prairie?

A lot of disgruntled fans giving up their tickets might be 1000, not 15000. The size of the waiting list might go down a bit. When that starts to happen TNSE better react the right way or they might be in trouble in 5-10 years. Not next year. Good grief!

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
Quote:
lol...

I like this post but your timeline is 3 years off.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Stej

How long does TNSE think their ticket inflation can wildly outpace wage inflation in Winnipeg before this comes to a head? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years?

(1 + 0.03)^7 - 1 = 23%

I can confirm, as an organizer of a large season ticket group, that some people are having trouble keeping up with that level of inflation. We'll likely be dropping our tickets when our next TPA is up. Why wouldn't we? With demand dropping, selling tickets that you can't use can now only be done at a substantial loss, and tickets are available all over the place. I work at a large company and I get asked almost weekly if I want Jets tickets by people that don't know I already have season tickets.

It's disheartening to me that True North can't see this coming. Doesn't fill me with hope for the future.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

I feel for the ST holders that are getting priced out by the ticket price increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
It's disheartening to me that True North can't see this coming. Doesn't fill me with hope for the future.
My guess is that TNSE has made a calculated decision here. They certainly see the numbers dwindling from the initial enthusiasm when they brought the team back. And they figure they have enough rope to max out the ticket increase while still supporting a full arena until the team improves enough (playoff appearances and so forth) to reinvigorate the ticket sales and interest in the team.

It's a calculated risk of course. Nobody can say for sure how the team will do in the future. And it doesn't help those who feel jaded, or can't afford to hold on to their tickets. I'm just looking at it through a business standpoint.

Puckatron 3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Sabadecade
Die Hard Jets Fan

Quote:
lol...

Oh, I'm serious. This time around especially! If people cancel their season seats, they'll get scooped up by wait listers. Like others have already responded, maybe in another 3-5 years IF we're still not contending at that point, then, "there will be no wait list" like you said. This year, however, there still is a wait list. It's not "dried up" yet.

All I'm saying is, if you really want to stick it to TNSE, and not lose your already committed and invested money, don't cancel yet, it only makes them more money in terms of forfeited deposits.

Also, if the Jets become contenders in the next 2-3 years while you're still "locked-in", would you renew then?

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote