HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Gary Bettman on Flames / Bruins TV Broadcast asks City of Calgary for new Arena

Old
03-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

vCash: 500
Gary Bettman on Flames / Bruins TV Broadcast asks City of Calgary for new Arena

Any of you guys got that? It just happened. Here's what Bettman just said on air on the Sportsnet Bruins / Flames TV in-between periods broadcast:

- "Obviously the Flames... the City of Calgary... need a new building. This one is out of date, it's important for the team, it's future and stability. And it's important for the community, it's quality of life... it's a work in progress. And I think with the right commitment from the City... I know Flames ownership is working real hard, and hopefully it'll be a reallity much sooner rather then later."

This is ridiculous. The Saddledome isn't that old, and is plenty large enough.

But I guess Mr. Bettman is going to be shaking them down too for some sweet public money. I wonder how long until the smile fades and he's straight up threatening the City of Calgary with relocation during Flames broadcasts instead of making subtle insinuations!

I watch Hockey to unwind in the evening. Not see Bettman shake down another City on live TV! And I bet Gary's patience with the City of Calgary with Calgary will be a lot shorter then it is with the Islanders...

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
This is Gary doing his job. I.E., being a puppet for his governors. When they need to milk the money cow, he's the one that does the dirty work.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is Gary doing his job. I.E., being a puppet for his governors. When they need to milk the money cow, he's the one that does the dirty work.
Maybe it is, but he sure would get a better reception if he waited for Oil to bounce back a bit. This is not the right time to ask Albertan to pay for billionaire toys.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Swarez

This is why we need better media, who actually puts these sports (and generally leaders) in tougher spots.

They should have responded by going after bettman, "you as commissioner know the age of the arena, the revenue it brings in, how much a new arena can bring in.

Can't that new revenue cover costs new building? You are in charge what have been your plans as leader to get a building done, outside of asking tax payers who are in a weak job market in Alberta?

The flames are currently profitable, how much profit will this add to the team? The team is currently worth x amount, how much will it be worth with new arena?

Is there any risk of leaving Calgary, since team here have strong corporate support, high support from paying fans and high value local TV contract something that is hard to replicate in the U.S. - can't team just keep playing in old building and just be profitable in status quo.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
This is ridiculous. The Saddledome isn't that old, and is plenty large enough.
Once the Red Wings move into their new stadium, the Saddledome is literally the oldest building in the league by 10 years aside from Madison Square Garden, which was completely renovated internally.

Last edited by Tawnos: 03-15-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 10:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Maybe it is, but he sure would get a better reception if he waited for Oil to bounce back a bit. This is not the right time to ask Albertan to pay for billionaire toys.
Oh I agree, I'm just saying it's not "Gary" speaking. His lips are moving, but there's someone else's hand in there somewhere.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
If the NHL needs a new arena in Calgary then it should go ahead and build one. No fuss, no muss. Go knock yourselves out Gary.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:07 PM
USAUSA1

Gary trying to do Calgary a favor. Don't kill the messenger.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Gary trying to do Calgary a favor. Don't kill the messenger.
Yeah, he's really helpful, coming in from New York and all and telling local governments what they need to do.

I've noticed over the years just how much Albertans like being told what to do.

If you don't already know what exactly what I mean, Google "Marc Lalonde".

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:56 PM
CorbeauNoir

The issue isn't the size as much as it is the boxes and the wonky nature of the roof. As others have said though it's really not a good time economically to be making those sorts of demands. Actually kind of timely that the issue's been ressurected since Bettman's ultimatum letter to Arizona reminded me a whole lot of his partycrashing visit here last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez View Post
Is there any risk of leaving Calgary, since team here have strong corporate support, high support from paying fans and high value local TV contract something that is hard to replicate in the U.S. - can't team just keep playing in old building and just be profitable in status quo.
Watch them get lifted out to QC.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:40 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4481585
Quote:
The question alone threw Gary Bettman off guard.

What, the commissioner of the National Hockey League was asked, are the short-comings of the Calgary Flames’ current arena?

“Seriously?” Bettman asked. “Have you been to any of the other (NHL) buildings?”
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/03/15...ards-new-arena

The basic flaw with the Saddledome is how small the lower bowl is as those are the tickets you can charge the most for.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4481585

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 07:07 AM
varano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Truthfully, Why is Bettman being asked that question?

Outside of Calgary, I've never seen him involved in a process that puts pressure on a city to build a new building.

Maybe he should focus on other markets like NYI, ARI, etc.

varano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:21 AM
Jonas1235

its about what it will be in 3 years not today. Today it is suitable. In 3 years it will be a junior hockey facility.

The big thing is concerts, artists (and wwe) go to edmonton because saddledome has bad acoustics.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:40 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
Truthfully, Why is Bettman being asked that question?

Outside of Calgary, I've never seen him involved in a process that puts pressure on a city to build a new building.

Maybe he should focus on other markets like NYI, ARI, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
its about what it will be in 3 years not today. Today it is suitable. In 3 years it will be a junior hockey facility.

The big thing is concerts, artists (and wwe) go to edmonton because saddledome has bad acoustics.
To answer the first question, I thought that was an appropriate question the reporter asked Bettman there. To the second poster's point, that's exactly what I thought after seeing this (I saw this as well watching the game on NHL.tv last night). You have a building that will be 35 years old next year. Think about that. 35 years old. It's a good building, but in this day and age, it's probably approaching the end of its expected service life as a viable facility.

But then you add in that this is a building that nearly was destroyed by that epic flooding a couple of years ago. Didn't they have to gut the lower levels of the dome down to the rebar there was that much water damage? Any of you in Calgary or southern Alberta can clue me in on that, please.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that while the building is certainly a safe building, is the building over the long term going to be able to maintain structural integrity after having such the kind of water damage it had? Especially if that god forbid happens again? Not trying to make any outlandish suggestions here but I'm sort of curious about this.

I would disagree to some extent with what the commissioner told Singh in the broadcast last night, but would add that this is something that this region should probably be thinking about seriously as a long-term, next two-three year project. How about this. Since the Stamps also I think are looking for a new facility, how about designing and building a stadium that can accommodate them, the Flames and the Hitmen? I know football fields and hockey rinks have widely different dimensions, but it might help save a lot of money......

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:40 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Que the Flames to Seattle/Portland rumors.

(Would have said Quebec, but conference imbalance is preventing that).

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 08:46 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Que the Flames to Seattle/Portland rumors.

(Would have said Quebec, but conference imbalance is preventing that).
No. Not yet. Hold your horses, powerstruck.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:01 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
To answer the first question, I thought that was an appropriate question the reporter asked Bettman there. To the second poster's point, that's exactly what I thought after seeing this (I saw this as well watching the game on NHL.tv last night). You have a building that will be 35 years old next year. Think about that. 35 years old. It's a good building, but in this day and age, it's probably approaching the end of its expected service life as a viable facility.

But then you add in that this is a building that nearly was destroyed by that epic flooding a couple of years ago. Didn't they have to gut the lower levels of the dome down to the rebar there was that much water damage? Any of you in Calgary or southern Alberta can clue me in on that, please.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that while the building is certainly a safe building, is the building over the long term going to be able to maintain structural integrity after having such the kind of water damage it had? Especially if that god forbid happens again? Not trying to make any outlandish suggestions here but I'm sort of curious about this.

I would disagree to some extent with what the commissioner told Singh in the broadcast last night, but would add that this is something that this region should probably be thinking about seriously as a long-term, next two-three year project. How about this. Since the Stamps also I think are looking for a new facility, how about designing and building a stadium that can accommodate them, the Flames and the Hitmen? I know football fields and hockey rinks have widely different dimensions, but it might help save a lot of money......
They had to strip down the lower bowl and replace the scoreboard unit after the flood but the dome is like those WWII flak towers in Berlin. I'm not sure they'll even know how to properly demolish it when the time comes.

People know it needs replacing, but not at the level of public funding being demanded and not in the location being proposed where the necessary site cleanup is vastly inflating the costs. The 'plan b' of a new arena in Victoria Park close to the existing building and the Stampede grounds makes far more sense.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:12 AM
MNNumbers

I watched the clip. I don't see anything new here. They have been talking about a new arena for a few years already. Like one other poster said, the CalgaryNEXT proposal died, because it committed too much public money.

Whatever. They are working on it. There will be a new arena. Hopefully, the Flames and the NHL will supply the supermajority of the money for it.

But that interview is certainly not earth shattering.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 09:48 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
They had to strip down the lower bowl and replace the scoreboard unit after the flood but the dome is like those WWII flak towers in Berlin. I'm not sure they'll even know how to properly demolish it when the time comes.

People know it needs replacing, but not at the level of public funding being demanded and not in the location being proposed where the necessary site cleanup is vastly inflating the costs. The 'plan b' of a new arena in Victoria Park close to the existing building and the Stampede grounds makes far more sense.
Thanks for the info. I BTW am not familiar with this plan B, if you could PM me and clue me in further on that proposal that would be super. I am familiar with the other plan, and yes, I'm not sure that's really in a good location either.

Old
03-16-2017, 10:24 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

In Arizona, NHL is asking for 57% of public funding.

They propose $170M from team owner, $170M from state and $55M (or more) from the city. The $55M is mainly for land (so city offers for free or buys land for the team) and surrounding infrastructure.

Now, if you ask me, that is a lot asking from public, which pay more than 50% of the building. If they are asking that in AZ, what stops them for asking for at least a similar deal in Calgary ?

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:30 AM
48g90a138pts

Besides the fact that is one of the oldest arenas in the league for NHL it needs to be updated for the newest entertainment. The Saddledome is bypassed by some because the building can't support the newest concerts. In the future more and more entertainers will skip Calgary. It's a shame, but the truth.

A new facility is needed not just for the purpose of the NHL.

48g90a138pts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Thanks for the info. I BTW am not familiar with this plan B, if you could PM me and clue me in further on that proposal that would be super. I am familiar with the other plan, and yes, I'm not sure that's really in a good location either.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-victoria-park

Quote:
Ken King, chief executive of the sports ownership group, said the improvements planned for Victoria Park are attractive features that could entice Flames owners to build a new arena there.
The area, he said, is not “a very attractive part of our city,” other than during the 10-day Stampede, “but after that it’s pretty much just surface parking lots.”
King said city hall’s vision for a cultural and entertainment district on the east end of downtown is what he had hoped to achieve in West Village. Asked for a timeline for decision-making on the arena project, King said he’d release some details about his plans in the coming weeks.
“We’ll have a good chance to evaluate whether or not their vision for Victoria Park is a fit for us, and it may well be,” he said. “One thing is for sure, we need a new facility.”

Old
03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
In Arizona, NHL is asking for 57% of public funding.

They propose $170M from team owner, $170M from state and $55M (or more) from the city. The $55M is mainly for land (so city offers for free or buys land for the team) and surrounding infrastructure.

Now, if you ask me, that is a lot asking from public, which pay more than 50% of the building. If they are asking that in AZ, what stops them for asking for at least a similar deal in Calgary ?
NHL in Arizona is actually asking 100% funding, because the team gets a share of the resultant tax increase in the arena district, and that share pays them back for the 170M they contribute. It's a scam. Believe me. These lawyers (snakes?, crooks?) don't know how to ask for less.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
YoungGuns

Flames have been asking for a new arena for quite some time. Calgary Next got shot down and now it may be on to plan B. The problem with the Saddledome is many big name artists skip out on performances/concerts because the building is dated and all of them go to Edmonton instead. Gary is just doing what is asked of him from Flames ownership. The city and the team will get something worked out eventually.

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote