HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Bettman thinks Edmonton should host draft, ASG

Old
03-15-2017, 10:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Bettman thinks Edmonton should host draft, ASG

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/b...game-edmonton/

Quote:
“I believe we should have a draft here, I believe we should have an All-Star Game here,” Bettman said on Tuesday, before the Edmonton Oilers hosted the Dallas Stars.
“I would like to see the entire Ice District complete, because when we do that and when we show off Edmonton and the Ice District to the world, I would like it to be done,” said Bettman. “Depending on the pace of construction and everything else, we would be thrilled to bring our league events here.”
But a few things need to be finished in the Ice District before they'd be scheduled.

Makes sense to put Edmonton in the best light.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 10:38 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Simple translation: Bettman doing his job to put pressure on Calgary for a new arena.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/b...game-edmonton/

But a few things need to be finished in the Ice District before they'd be scheduled.

Makes sense to put Edmonton in the best light.
Geez. Another example of Gary Bettman hating Canada.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:59 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
Edmonton has a brand new arena, and one of the best hockey players in the world. I would love it if they got the special treatment for a year. Maybe not hosting both, but one year have the ASG and the next year have the draft. It also brings the Draft to the west coast which is nice.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:15 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Simple translation: Bettman doing his job to put pressure on Calgary for a new arena.
Ding ding ding

Less than a week after saying publicly that Calgary needs to finance a new arena, he goes to their Alberta rivals and suggests they will get two major events in their... new arena.

Pretty transparent.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Digital Kid

It's been ridiculous how many concerts have bypassed Calgary for Edmonton. It's almost like the Flames group have stopped bidding for concerts on purpose to prove a point. 9 Garth Brooks concerts in Edmonton, 0 in Calgary. and on and on.

But for hockey, yes, it would be nice for traditional heartland of hockey to be appreciated again with an official NHL function.

Digital Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:06 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
Edmonton has a brand new arena, and one of the best hockey players in the world. I would love it if they got the special treatment for a year. Maybe not hosting both, but one year have the ASG and the next year have the draft. It also brings the Draft to the west coast which is nice.
4 number overalls in the last decade and you talk about special treatment??? Only kidding Oilers fans.....

Seriously.... it's been pretty much a tradition to have special league events at the newest facility. I would look for Detroit to be selected to host a draft or ASG at their new arena within the next year or so.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
MapleLeafsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Seriously.... it's been pretty much a tradition to have special league events at the newest facility. I would look for Detroit to be selected to host a draft or ASG at their new arena within the next year or so.
If that's true how come this June will be the first time the United Center in Chicago will host the NHL Draft and they still have not yet hosted an All Star Game.

Even the Honda Center in Anaheim has not hosted either event and the Ducks have been in the NHL since the 1993-1994 season.

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:26 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan75 View Post
If that's true how come this June will be the first time the United Center in Chicago will host the NHL Draft and they still have not yet hosted an All Star Game.

Even the Honda Center in Anaheim has not hosted either event and the Ducks have been in the NHL since the 1993-1994 season.
However, Arizona was scheduled for the ASG the year after the arena in Glendale opened only to become victim of the lockout and subsequent ownership hassles.

There are other factors that involve the selections, but you often see leagues put a special event in its newest facility.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:05 AM
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas

vCash: 50
Shiny new building equals events.

Gotta let the district get built first. Several years of construction left before that area is done.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:29 AM
Isles72

barclays center first

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:56 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

"Hey there fine folks, do you want the amazingly magical economic impact of the All Star Weekend? I put the All Star in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum, it put them on the map! All you got to do is spend $500 to $700 million to build your very wealthy hockey club owner/welfare queen a new arena. Nah it more of a Edmonton kind of idea..."

Don't ever change Gary, you're way too entertaining this way.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:07 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Ding ding ding

Less than a week after saying publicly that Calgary needs to finance a new arena, he goes to their Alberta rivals and suggests they will get two major events in their... new arena.

Pretty transparent.
There is another plausible explanation. The Oilers have publicly stated that they want to host the draft and/or the ASG soon. When I heard that Bettman was going to be in town that first thing I thought of was this. So while Calgary may be a side benefit to the comments it is very likely that this was really just about Edmonton.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

If you build it they will come.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:09 AM
AngryScotsman

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

AngryScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Fourier

Quote:
I don't buy it. Bettman was invited to speak at the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce about the Ice District. The Oilers had been vocal for quite a while about wanting the ASG and or the draft. So he comes and is repeatedly asked about the possibility of either event coming to Edmonton by local reporters. He then answers as he did. How does this translate to pressure on Calgary?

Unlike in Edmonton where the City participating in the arena development had pretty broad support, the plans in Calgary have been generally poorly received. If he wants to help out with public money this is not going to have almost any impact. It will take a lot of hard work to get the Calgary local government onside and the Province right now may well be out of the question. Talking up a possible ASG in Edmonton is not even going to move the needle.

The simple answer here is that this was probably 99.9% about Edmonton and maybe 0.1% about Calgary.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Would be nice, I go to Edmonton once a yr to see family, would love to centre a trip to the city around the draft.

03-20-2017, 10:13 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Would be nice, I go to Edmonton once a yr to see family, would love to centre a trip to the city around the draft.
You mean you don't go in late January? lol

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
TOGuy14

Shiny new arena, generational player leading upswing team.

Gee, didn't see this coming

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Exactly, this is Bettman giving out a one-time candy as a thank you.

It's like those restaurants that give you a thank you mint for spending $100 on a dinner there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I don't buy it. Bettman was invited to speak at the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce about the Ice District. The Oilers had been vocal for quite a while about wanting the ASG and or the draft. So he comes and is repeatedly asked about the possibility of either event coming to Edmonton by local reporters. He then answers as he did. How does this translate to pressure on Calgary?

Unlike in Edmonton where the City participating in the arena development had pretty broad support, the plans in Calgary have been generally poorly received. If he wants to help out with public money this is not going to have almost any impact. It will take a lot of hard work to get the Calgary local government onside and the Province right now may well be out of the question. Talking up a possible ASG in Edmonton is not even going to move the needle.

The simple answer here is that this was probably 99.9% about Edmonton and maybe 0.1% about Calgary.
It's not just putting pressure on Calgary.

When ever the league asks for a new arena, they go out and give the AllStars and Draft to that city a few years down the road as a ''See, you build it and we brought you one event that won't come back in 30 years...oh btw, we need a new arena every 30 years.''

It's like the Olympics. Build brand new stadiums that your population will be able to enjoy for 100 years after the Olympics. *looks at ghost town Brazil*

I'll make the call today : Vegas will get All Star, Detroit will get All Star and so will Edmonton.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote