HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Winner! - Caps vs Preds

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

vCash: 500
Plus the Caps helping us with their poor OT play allowing the 2 on 1.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:40 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Rinne kept his movements simple all night, just played big.

We need more of that.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This made me laugh
It's a lot funnier when you don't have to experience it.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Mustard

vCash: 788
Roll call for Canes game Saturday? Anyone else going?

Old
03-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
Woot!

2 points baby. Peks not looking horrible tonight despite what some will say here.
No one will say he was horrible tonight. He played the puck horribly about 3 times, but was good overall. Granted there weren't many tough shots, but it was a nice night for him. He's still not a good goalie, but good game tonight.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
That's because we got rid of that stupid triangle.
It's because they realized that possession is the key in OT and have stopped getting cute and turning over or giving the puck away. What Johansen did tonight was a prime example. Last season, he (or any Preds player) would've done anything to keep the puck in the offensive zone (tried a one-on-one move or attempted a risky in-zone pass) and inevitably turned it over. Tonight, he skated the puck out of the offensive zone in order to maintain possession of it and passed it to Arvidsson. Forsberg did the same thing a couple of times in their other recent OT wins. It's taken almost two seasons, but they're finally figuring out how to play 3-on-3 OT.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:48 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's because they stopped getting cute and turning over or giving the puck away. What Johansen did was a prime example. Last season, he would've done anything to keep the puck in the offensive zone and inevitably turned it over. Tonight, he skated the puck out of the offensive zone in order to maintain possession of it and passed it to Arvidsson. Forsberg did the same thing a couple of times in their other recent OT wins. It's taken almost two seasons, but they're finally figuring out how to play 3-on-3 OT.
Yeah I agree w/ this too. They aren't rushing to make something happen only to turn it over but being more responsible w/ the puck and getting set up and passing the puck better even if that means skating the puck out of the offensive zone to maintain possession.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Roll call for Canes game Saturday? Anyone else going?
What is that? 8.5 hr drive?

I've driven to Columbus a few times. It wasn't too bad. It's six hours though.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
It's definitely because of getting rid of the triangle. If we won the faceoff, we would almost have to score on our first possession because we wouldn't get it back going into the triangle on defense. If we lost the faceoff, we would go half the overtime trying to get it back, if the opponent didn't score first.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:53 PM
hockey diva

I will be at the game in Carolina on Saturday. Ninth edition of the Sibling Rivalry game with my sister.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:54 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
It's because they realized that possession is the key in OT and have stopped getting cute and turning over or giving the puck away. What Johansen did tonight was a prime example. Last season, he (or any Preds player) would've done anything to keep the puck in the offensive zone (tried a one-on-one move or attempted a risky in-zone pass) and inevitably turned it over. Tonight, he skated the puck out of the offensive zone in order to maintain possession of it and passed it to Arvidsson. Forsberg did the same thing a couple of times in their other recent OT wins. It's taken almost two seasons, but they're finally figuring out how to play 3-on-3 OT.
They've frequently skated the puck outside the zone to maintain possession during a line change. Coaches figured out in short order that possession was key.

They have abandoned the passive triangle which has helped to two ways. Firstly, by playing man, they are at least contesting shots. Secondly, the passivity of the triangle always left the players "flat-footed" and slow to get to the puck resulting in more possession time for the opponent.

Offensively, they have done a better job of getting pucks on net too. In the past, they've frequently missed nets trying to pick the corner with shots hard enough to start a rush in the other direction.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:00 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Preds playoff chances are now 95.7%, according to SportsClubStats.com.

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

Old
03-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I will be at the game in Carolina on Saturday. Ninth edition of the Sibling Rivalry game with my sister.
Cheating on the Denver trip I see

Old
03-16-2017, 09:16 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
They've frequently skated the puck outside the zone to maintain possession during a line change. Coaches figured out in short order that possession was key.

They have abandoned the passive triangle which has helped to two ways. Firstly, by playing man, they are at least contesting shots. Secondly, the passivity of the triangle always left the players "flat-footed" and slow to get to the puck resulting in more possession time for the opponent.

Offensively, they have done a better job of getting pucks on net too. In the past, they've frequently missed nets trying to pick the corner with shots hard enough to start a rush in the other direction.
Agree with all but the "coaches figured out in short order". Our coaching staff failed remedial level figuring it out for almost 2 years.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Osprey

I don't understand why you guys are talking about triangles on defense. They've barely had to defend at all in the last 2 or 3 OTs. The Jets touched the puck only once in OT three nights ago (with Laine blowing by the defense for a mini breakaway) and the Caps didn't touch it at all tonight. How are those OT wins due to a new defensive structure? They're due to maintaining possession by being smarter on offense and not turning the puck over so that they don't have to defend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
This team didn't do that frequently at all in 3-on-3 OT until just recently. I was on their case all last season and the first half of this season because that's something that I was not seeing. Other coaches figured out quickly that possession is key, yes, but these coaches seemed to be the last to realize or at least the last to get it through to the players.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-16-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old
03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Armourboy

Glad to see the boys pulled it off, another OT win, Yay!

Old
03-16-2017, 09:31 PM
drwpreds

Huge, huge win- it just cannot be overstated.

And we now have 3 OT wins in the past 2 weeks, who woulda thunk it??????

Old
03-16-2017, 09:48 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Cheating on the Denver trip I see
No, I have family in the Denver as well, lol.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:39 PM
sparkle twin
Don't draft me brah!

Heck of a win, Preds!! I didn't expect that at all. Nice to sweep the series!

Rinne had one of his better games in a while. Good for him for getting the win in his 500th game.

I guess the coaches had them focus on defense, which is fine, it was just a bit boring for a while.

Neal's goal was pretty bad by Holtby.

Arvidsson!! What a shot.

For some reason I get the Comcast sports channel from DC, that carries the Caps games. The games are blacked out, but their post game is not so I was watching it and they just gushed about Tom Wilson's fight and how he "obliterated" Watson. That was their highlight and only positive for the caps.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:57 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
No one will say he was horrible tonight. He played the puck horribly about 3 times, but was good overall. Granted there weren't many tough shots, but it was a nice night for him. He's still not a good goalie, but good game tonight.
Not that I disagree with you on how poorly he played the puck, goalies like Elliott, Crawford, Dubnyk, Pavelec, etc. would love to play the puck better to be even considered horrible by Rinne standards. Thank goodness that even when Rinne plays the puck terribly he's still a better puck mover than some truly terrible goalies.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:06 AM
bdub24
Formerly Section 212

vCash: 50
I think Rinne caught Korn in the hallway during morning skate and got some quick tips. Cause he certainly performed mostly like Rinne of the Korn days.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:32 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub24 View Post
I think Rinne caught Korn in the hallway during morning skate and got some quick tips. Cause he certainly performed mostly like Rinne of the Korn days.
Except if he did he wouldn't have **** up a few of the pucks he tried to play haha. But I agree his glove hand is back in action and he really tracked that puck well, it was very difficult to beat him as well.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
He had a save early on where there was a puck that got randomly re-directed in close towards the five hole and he shut it down and tracked it really well. At that point I hoped it was an omen that he was on his game, and turned out he was.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Montross
Sheltered

Quote:
And that's the Rinne everyone wants to see on a game in-game out basis. Bring that consistency back to his game. Make it the rule, not the exception.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

What's Trotz's record against us? We've beaten them at least 4 times out of 6, right?

Closed Thread