HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who's better: Wendel Clark or Milan Lucic?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2017, 11:05 AM
  #1
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,183
vCash: 500
Who's better: Wendel Clark or Milan Lucic?

A friend of mine brought this up to me. I hadn't thought of this comparison before and it kind of caught me off-guard.

Be curious to see what others here thought.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:08 AM
  #2
GMR
Registered User
 
GMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Please ask your friend if there's even one thing Lucic is better at than Clark. I'm curious as to what he says.

I guess they're similar in terms of both being a***oles, but Clark was a much better player and fighter than Lucic.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:09 AM
  #3
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 41,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Please ask your friend if there's even one thing Lucic is better at than Clark. I'm curious as to what he says.

I guess they're similar in terms of both being a***oles, but Clark was a much better player and fighter than Lucic.
And there you have it. Straight from a Red Wings fan.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:15 AM
  #4
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 32,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
A friend of mine brought this up to me. I hadn't thought of this comparison before and it kind of caught me off-guard.

Be curious to see what others here thought.
I'm pretty sure (like, 99% sure) that Lucic is quite a bit better as a hockey player than Wendel Clark was, all things considered.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:23 AM
  #5
Jared Dunn
Registered User
 
Jared Dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Noooo this can't actually be serious....

Jared Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:29 AM
  #6
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm pretty sure (like, 99% sure) that Lucic is quite a bit better as a hockey player than Wendel Clark was, all things considered.
Other than Lucic winning a cup with his respective team, this is completely false. Wendel was a better point producer, better hitter, better fighter than Lucic is and ever will be.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:35 AM
  #7
RandyBobandi
Registered User
 
RandyBobandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm pretty sure (like, 99% sure) that Lucic is quite a bit better as a hockey player than Wendel Clark was, all things considered.
Huh????? I like Lucic but there is no ****ing way he is better. Wendel was an absolute animal on the ice and for a tough guy had a ton of skill. He was drafted 1st overall as a dman and converted to a forward. I would say Wendel was a lot more intimidating and was a hell of a leader too. Still remember his hat trick in the playoffs back in 93 against the Kings.

RandyBobandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:41 AM
  #8
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBobandi View Post
Huh????? I like Lucic but there is no ****ing way he is better. Wendel was an absolute animal on the ice and for a tough guy had a ton of skill. He was drafted 1st overall as a dman and converted to a forward. I would say Wendel was a lot more intimidating and was a hell of a leader too. Still remember his hat trick in the playoffs back in 93 against the Kings.
Back in the 80's, he had one of the best wristers in the league. The only reason why his overall points weren't higher was because he was often injured due to his physical play. Very underrated.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
  #9
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,380
vCash: 500
Yeah, I can't name one thing Lucic was better at than Clark, except maybe being a fan favorite (of course, they idolized Clark in Toronto, but, hey -- this is Toronto).

Clark was pretty darn good in the best era for hockey.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:05 PM
  #10
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Cackalacky
Posts: 54,727
vCash: 500
Clark is an extremely overrated player, but better than Lucic.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:08 PM
  #11
puckpilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
The only thing Lucic is better at than Clark is staying healthy. Otherwise it's not even close.

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:28 PM
  #12
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Yeah, I can't name one thing Lucic was better at than Clark, except maybe being a fan favorite (of course, they idolized Clark in Toronto, but, hey -- this is Toronto).

Clark was pretty darn good in the best era for hockey.
He's better at playing physically and not ending up on the trainer's table because of it.

If you adjust for era, he's at least as good a fighter, I would argue.

And is Clark really a better offensive producer, relative to their era?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
  #13
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 32,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
He's better at playing physically and not ending up on the trainer's table because of it.

If you adjust for era, he's at least as good a fighter, I would argue.

And is Clark really a better offensive producer, relative to their era?
Clark was a somewhat better goalscorer actually, but then again, that's mostly on a PPG basis.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:36 PM
  #14
the edler
Cory Schneider fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Clark is an extremely overrated player, but better than Lucic.
Agreed.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:39 PM
  #15
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Please ask your friend if there's even one thing Lucic is better at than Clark. I'm curious as to what he says.

I guess they're similar in terms of both being a***oles, but Clark was a much better player and fighter than Lucic.
Nut spearing

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 12:52 PM
  #16
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
He's better at playing physically and not ending up on the trainer's table because of it.

If you adjust for era, he's at least as good a fighter, I would argue.

And is Clark really a better offensive producer, relative to their era?
How do you "adjust for the era" in the fighting department? FMPG (fighting majors per game)?

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
  #17
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
He's better at playing physically and not ending up on the trainer's table because of it.

If you adjust for era, he's at least as good a fighter, I would argue.

And is Clark really a better offensive producer, relative to their era?
At least as good a fighter, huh? When Lucic faced legit heavyweights, it often went bad for him. Colton Orr tuned him.

When Clark went up against heavyweights, he held his own and even won his fair share. And that's while playing below 6 feet/200 pounds. He took on, and beat, guys like Butcher, Probert and McSorely.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
  #18
GMR
Registered User
 
GMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
At least as good a fighter, huh? When Lucic faced legit heavyweights, it often went bad for him. Colton Orr tuned him.

When Clark went up against heavyweights, he held his own and even won his fair share. And that's while playing below 6 feet/200 pounds. He took on, and beat, guys like Butcher, Probert and McSorely.
Some of the names on Clark's fight card:

Probert
McSorley
Wilson
Berube
Kordic
Plett
Secord
Tocchet
May
Tiger Williams
Huard
Hospodar
McKay

He was a dirty fighter who liked to get an early jump in fights, and frequently fought non-fighters. However, that fight list is pretty impressive. He handled himself well in those fights. Lucic is not close in the fighting department, especially seeing how fighting is basically phased out of the game now.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:37 PM
  #19
GMR
Registered User
 
GMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Nut spearing
Clark wasn't exactly a perennial candidate for the Lady Byng. He had plenty of cheap moments in his career.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 01:45 PM
  #20
Xscout
Registered User
 
Xscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Zimbabwe
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
Lmao this isn't going to go well

Clark is the 1st #1 overall pick in Leafs history.
Bled for an entire generation, fought some of the biggest goons of all time while being undersized.
Would do anything for his teammates.
The definition of a grinder and a leader.

Lucic threatens people when he loses. Then cries victim.

Nothing to compare.


Last edited by Xscout: 03-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Xscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 02:40 PM
  #21
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Some of the names on Clark's fight card:

Probert
McSorley
Wilson
Berube
Kordic
Plett
Secord
Tocchet
May
Tiger Williams
Huard
Hospodar
McKay

He was a dirty fighter who liked to get an early jump in fights, and frequently fought non-fighters. However, that fight list is pretty impressive. He handled himself well in those fights. Lucic is not close in the fighting department, especially seeing how fighting is basically phased out of the game now.
Yeah, Clark was certainly a dirty player, even by the standards of his era. But to his credit, he owned it and never backed down from a challenge, as evidenced by some of the names in your post. Hell, Probert, McSorely and Tiger were rougher customers than anything Lucic has ever had to deal with.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 03:06 PM
  #22
Johnny Engine
Moderator
 
Johnny Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Lucic has to be better defensively than Clark ever was, even if it's only because he doesn't frequently chase players for bone-crunching hits that leave him far out of the play.

He's been better at staying in the lineup for the same reason.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 03:30 PM
  #23
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Give Lucic the edge in staying healthy and being a p***y I guess

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 06:46 PM
  #24
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Clark wasn't exactly a perennial candidate for the Lady Byng. He had plenty of cheap moments in his career.
Didn't say Lucic was better at all of it...but he is on a tier of his own for nut spearing...that is what he seems to like to do

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 10:19 PM
  #25
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Wendel Clark's career was so weird. Drafted 1st overall, in the process switching from defence to forward. Joins one of the worst teams in recent memory, scoring 34 goals in 66 games at age 19 (with only 11 assists on a club scoring 311 goals). Second year, scores 37.

Then plays no more than 38 games in a season for three years.

By the time he gets back to regular duty in 1990-91, the Maple Leafs have been transformed, and his 'Hound line' is a thing of the past. From 1990-91 through 1992-93, Clark plays between 43 and 66 games per year, with reduced production. By the autumn of '93, it's now been more than six years since Clark's last 20+ goal season.

Suddenly, on the stronger 1993-94 Leafs, Clark scores 46 goals in 64 games (3rd NHL in GPG). I remember that season, thinking, 'Where did that come from?' I must say I thought he was kind of washed up before that. Clark also scored 19 playoff goals in the '93 and '94 runs combined.

Clark managed two or three more good seasons, though injury-riddled.

Seriously, has any memorable player had more missed games to injury through a career? Only 3 times in 15 seasons did Clark make it to 70+ games.


Anyway, I like Lucic's game (in his 'mature' phase). I think he and Clark are close, actually. I do think Lucic has a much more balanced game than Clark ever had. Lucic is a decent puck-carrier, is shifty, can pass, and has a reasonably high hockey IQ. He had 19 points in 22 playoff games a few years ago.

Clark's brief 'peak' period from fall 1992 through the 1994 playoffs is a richer period than Lucic has ever had, but other than that 18-month period I think I prefer Lucic, who is more consistent.


Incidentally, I missed a chance to meet Wendel Clark at a donut-shop in Woodstock, Ontario in February 1986. I had just moved to a new school (temporarily), and I was the new kid that week, so nobody told me about it. The next day all the kids were talking about meeting him, Russ Courtnall, and Gary Leeman. I was a bit bummed.


Last edited by The Panther: 03-16-2017 at 10:24 PM.
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.