HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXV: Relocating One Seat at a Time

Old
03-17-2017, 08:04 AM
JimAnchower

vCash: 500
Opinion piece and nothing new in it, but the headline alone. I hope the Meaford Express doesn't lose it's NHL credentials because of this.

Quote:
Is there a more ridiculous story than the Arizona Coyotes?
http://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/...zona-coyotes-/

JimAnchower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Slashers98

For those saying Seattle is a possibility for a quick relocation... I don't see how it can work.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/n...-leiweke-says/

Quote:
A group aiming to renovate KeyArena for NBA and NHL use says the project would take no more than “three or four years’’ to complete depending on the red tape involved.
Quote:
“We believe it’s going to take three or four years, preferably three,’’ Leiweke said. “We’re prepared to do it in three, but we understand that entitlement may take longer than a year.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
j1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
For those saying Seattle is a possibility for a quick relocation... I don't see how it can work.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/n...-leiweke-says/
Got to remember there are 3 plans, 2 sites in contention.

Only way for a quick location is Sodo project is selected venue and the Key is used as a temporary venue (unless the owners could somehow get ice in Tacoma Dome or use Everett)

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
The Senate has not been meeting on Fridays. Committee meetings on Friday mornings, but no floor sessions so far. That's common in legislatures and in Congress for Reps/Senators to get back to their districts for the weekend. You might start seeing Friday meetings as session deadlines approach and extra sessions are needed to get the last bills heard.
No session on St. Patrick's Day...government ya know...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Llama19

Old
03-17-2017, 09:29 AM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
WPG PO Wins: 0

vCash: 949
Quote:
This is facepalm worthy for so many reasons.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
This is facepalm worthy for so many reasons.
Bettman: South Korea Olympics terribly disruptive to season

Gary Bettman says an Olympics in South Korea would be terribly disruptive to the NHL season, right when there's no competition from NFL or MLB. Bettman reiterates he's committed to Arizona, is staying in touch with Quebec City reps, but says until Seattle gets an arena in place there's no point discussing expansion there

Source (Audio - 23:10, Coyotes at approx. 08:10 time mark): http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-10...eason-1.698681

Old
03-17-2017, 09:49 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
"No, we tick them off to the point where they run us out. It's the kind thing to do."

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:55 AM
tony d
Pug

Bettman's statement on Arizona there is the reason I don't support him. Guy got to realize hockey's not working there and move on.

03-17-2017, 10:05 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Also, will likely need to shell out more in player salaries to reach the cap floor.

Would Lupul, Grabovski or Horton be of any help?

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Llama19

Hmmm...where have I heard this before...

To quote:

"Mayor Naheed Nenshi says Calgarians have been loud and clear in their opposition to using public dollars to finance a new arena for the Flames, and to the NHL commissioner jumping into the debate.

"The calls to our office, the emails, the comments have been, I would say, 99.999997 per cent saying please Mr. Bettman stay out of it and no, there should be no public money for this," said Nenshi."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lars-1.4029227

Old
03-17-2017, 10:20 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
No session on St. Patrick's Day...government ya know...
If Bettman does go on Coyotes tv tomorrow night, I hope he says how vital the Senate bill is to th future of the Coyotes in one sentence, while saying the team still has several options for a new home in the area the next.

JimAnchower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Bettman: South Korea Olympics terribly disruptive to season

Gary Bettman says an Olympics in South Korea would be terribly disruptive to the NHL season, right when there's no competition from NFL or MLB.
Bettman reiterates he's committed to Arizona, is staying in touch with Quebec City reps, but says until Seattle gets an arena in place there's no point discussing expansion there

Source (Audio - 23:10, Coyotes at approx. 08:10 time mark): http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-10...eason-1.698681
Yet a 2022 Olympics in China won't be of course for $$$ reasons!? That right there invalidates anything he goes on to say regarding a commitment to the Arizona fan base IMO.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
WPG PO Wins: 0

vCash: 949
Bettman would be the best Wrestling Heel of all time. He wouldn't even have to wrestle, just come out, cut promos, and let others fight for him. Best promo in the NHL, and the Greatest heat magnet in all of sports. He'd be more over on the heel side of this WWE roster than everyone besides the Miz, and that's without appearing on the program.

WWE should get in on that.

Oh, my, god.

Bettman as the mouthpiece for a company takeover angle, and then he wins, and cuts promos on the fans, negotiates for better dates and venues with cities. That would be a money angle. Leading up to a no DQ match at wrestlemania for control of the company.

Last edited by Tom ServoMST3K: 03-17-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Opinion piece and nothing new in it, but the headline alone. I hope the Meaford Express doesn't lose it's NHL credentials because of this.

http://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/...zona-coyotes-/
... I doubt the Editor or Sports Reporter of the Meaford Express would be NHL accredited Jim. Thats a small-town paper owned by Metroland Newspapers who own over 25 community type papers, some weekly, some 2-3X's a week. They also own the North York & East York Mirror in Toronto, believe one in or near Ottawa, but neither one covering the Leafs or Senators. Amateit hockey, high school sports yeah... this editorial out of Meaford a little unusual but far from being completely damning as it is so even if that were a concern no, shouldnt think so.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Boy, he's really making the media rounds. Certainly looks like he's completely taken over ownership of the narrative on this situation. Nothing at all from LeBlanc & Co...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
objectiveposter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tell that to a Thrashers fan

objectiveposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Bettman would be the best Wrestling Heel of all time. He wouldn't even have to wrestle, just come out, cut promos, and let others fight for him. Best promo in the NHL, and the Greatest heat magnet in all of sports. He'd be more over on the heel side of this WWE roster than everyone besides the Miz, and that's without appearing on the program.

WWE should get in on that.

Oh, my, god.

Bettman as the mouthpiece for a company takeover angle, and then he wins, and cuts promos on the fans, negotiates for better dates. That would be a money angle. Leading up to a no DQ match at wrestlemania for control of the company.
Oh, God, and with the brand split, he could even do "We have a trade to announce..." He wouldn't even need new catchphrases! I love it!

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Llama19

Video clip (approximately the 1:35 time mark) includes Coyotes situation

Old
03-17-2017, 11:09 AM
JDogindy

Quote:
The 'tarping' is official...
I understand the need, but sitting in a tarped arena is ridiculous, & I know myself.

Anyway, we got one week before session closes for the year in Phoenix & HB 1149 may not even be heard.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:11 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
a) this tarping thing just seems like a childish, public ploy by leblanc designed to try to show how GRA is a bad fit for them. its akin to a little temper tantrum, it will accomplish nothing.
b) if it did actually accomplish something, it should have been done years ago when it might have mattered. IA has consistently shown itself complete unprepared and unable to actually make decisions and undertake actions that benefit sales. it has run the club in an ad hoc and reactionary way, all the while blaming everyone else - including an arena! - for poor sales and interest.
c) its all part of the "we tried everything we could" charade still playing out for the next few weeks before the blame fingers begin pointing as moving vans are loaded.
d) sadly, i think leblanc may still believe he's in charge.

What makes you think Leblanc is still around, much less in control of certain decisions. A case could be made that he has been relieved of his duties. The team no longer needs his false narrative attempts at deceiving the public with regard to the Coyotes future. It is pretty common knowledge that his latest foray into this new arena are nothing more than posturing, he and his cronies had to know that based on their prior activity (GRA/COG) nobody would listen again. His voice muted, Tony has been shelved and likely by the end of the season we will hear of GB`s plans. To think that they are going to play at GRA next season with a cap issue looming and the fans fed up, it would be a complete PR disaster for the league. Imagine, teams coming into town next year to play a minor league team in front of 5,000 tarped fans. Does not look good for the league, players expected to excel in that atmosphere would be asking too much of them. I expect GB to make a move, where and how, i don`t know.

mesamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:14 AM
MNNumbers

I listened to the Bettman clip. It's pretty telling. He is again throwing Glendale under the bus...

"Team will be in Glendale as long as they need to..." As if Glendale has nothing to say about that. Glendale could throw them out for 18-19 if they wanted to. They have been taking Glendale for granted for a long time, and still are..

But the more telling part is, "Team has opportunities for an arena. Glendale has been going around lobbying against those opportunities..." Every opportunity against which Glendale lobbied was a situation that depends on SB1149. That means that Bettman is unconsciously admitting there are no opportunites without this bill. Right?

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Rick74

Quote:
Video clip (approximately the 1:35 time mark) includes Coyotes situation
Why the **** does his head move like that? I used to think it's because he's an annoying little weasel but now I think it's medical.

Rick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep...the mouse is now roaring...
I'll say.... still supposedly completely confident they'll get an arena going elsewhere in the Valley/Phoenix.... but before that.... "Glendale reneged on the 15yr agreement
on a technicality... lobbying against efforts with the state" (words to that effect).... Adding insult to injury are they?............ Man, who knew the COG was so Evil?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I listened to the Bettman clip. It's pretty telling. He is again throwing Glendale under the bus...

"Team will be in Glendale as long as they need to..." As if Glendale has nothing to say about that. Glendale could throw them out for 18-19 if they wanted to. They have been taking Glendale for granted for a long time, and still are..

But the more telling part is, "Team has opportunities for an arena. Glendale has been going around lobbying against those opportunities..." Every opportunity against which Glendale lobbied was a situation that depends on SB1149. That means that Bettman is unconsciously admitting there are no opportunites without this bill. Right?
Were there ever any opportunities without this bill and the associated 'subsidies' that would come with it...the simple answer is no...

This bill is still DOA...