HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXV: Relocating One Seat at a Time

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I listened to the Bettman clip. It's pretty telling. He is again throwing Glendale under the bus...

"Team will be in Glendale as long as they need to..." As if Glendale has nothing to say about that. Glendale could throw them out for 18-19 if they wanted to. They have been taking Glendale for granted for a long time, and still are..

But the more telling part is, "Team has opportunities for an arena. Glendale has been going around lobbying against those opportunities..." Every opportunity against which Glendale lobbied was a situation that depends on SB1149. That means that Bettman is unconsciously admitting there are no opportunites without this bill. Right?
Yes, he's still bitter at Glendale and trying to blame the city for his failures.

I find him pretty negative towards Seattle for the first time, saying that there is no new arena project after a couple of years.

He was expecting things to move much faster and now he's getting caught with his pants down.

Old
03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick74 View Post
Why the **** does his head move like that? I used to think it's because he's an annoying little weasel but now I think it's medical.
I did a quick search online, and people have been asking that question since at least 2008, without any indication that it was a new behavior then. It's almost certainly medical, but given the length of time it's been going on and that there don't appear to be any other publicly visible symptoms associated with it (unless pathological lying about the value to the community of publicly funding arenas is a symptom) it's also almost certainly benign.

Old
03-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
I did a quick search online, and people have been asking that question since at least 2008, without any indication that it was a new behavior then. It's almost certainly medical, but given the length of time it's been going on and that there don't appear to be any other publicly visible symptoms associated with it (unless pathological lying about the value to the community of publicly funding arenas is a symptom) it's also almost certainly benign.
That would make a great episode of house.

Old
03-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Yes, he's still bitter at Glendale and trying to blame the city for his failures.

I find him pretty negative towards Seattle for the first time, saying that there is no new arena project after a couple of years.

He was expecting things to move much faster and now he's getting caught with his pants down.
Glendale: yeah, not only bitter but clearly scapegoating them for his own self-generated disaster in handing the keys over to these guys when he shouldve realized that in doing so the potential for a total derailment, the %'s not in the leagues favor. He rolled the dice, gambled & lost just as Glendale itself did in putting its faith in IA & the League.

Seattle: he claims "not really paying attention to the situation" yet carries on thereafter fully versed on whats going on. Cognizant of his audience, local Vancouver media who are obviously very interested in reporting on the situation in Seattle he plays to them, talking out of both sides of his mouth.

And yes, agreed as I think most would agree with your summation, both IA & he caught with their pants down in 2013 when the Lease & AMC was cancelled, scrambling to try & cap the fire ever since, no acceptance of responsibility or culpability, Glendale now dead to them. Not an option. Blame game.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:22 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Except if the team is in a small Canadian market like Winnipeg or Quebec City or in a smaller NE location like Hartford or in a Southern city like Atlanta, or in Minnesota.....

Old
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
cbcwpg

Bettman can blame the CoG all he wants while walking around his office kicking the furniture. Go ahead if that makes you feel better Gary, but it doesn't change the fact that you are royally screwed and you may end up having to do something you don't want to... and that is to book a chartered flight to move a hockey team to Quebec City.

Watching Bettman squirm is such a good spectator sport.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Walshy7

vCash: 820
Quote:
could it be early stages of Parkinson's (I don't mean to offend anyone here) I always thought that due to the shakes he has.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Rick74

Quote:
Well I appreciate your due diligence regardless.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
GuelphStormer

Gary is just trying to make the NHL great again.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Bettman can blame the CoG all he wants while walking around his office kicking the furniture. Go ahead if that makes you feel better Gary, but it doesn't change the fact that you are royally screwed and you may end up having to do something you don't want to... and that is to book a chartered flight to move a hockey team to Quebec City.

Watching Bettman squirm is such a good spectator sport.
Well, if were to take him at his word it looks like the clubs' not going anywhere anytime soon though once next Fridays come & gone, no sign of the Bill, that could well be subject to change. He's left the door open in walking back his statements of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy7 View Post
could it be early stages of Parkinson's (I don't mean to offend anyone here) I always thought that due to the shakes he has.
Quote:
Well I appreciate your due diligence regardless.
... yea, guys.... could be any number of things. He's always been like that as far back as I can remember when he came onto the scene early 90's. Sort of nervous disposition when dealing with the press at times. Not always, but noticeably so at times. I think its just the way he reacts, body language rather than any medical condition.... Now, if youve seen Bobby Hull in any recent interviews, of the past 10-15yrs, then yes, reason to think maybe Parkinsons or post concussion syndrome, CTE. Painful to watch. Memory loss at times included.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:57 PM
David_99

Quote:
Why the **** does his head move like that?
I think the devil's hand is getting tired.

Old
03-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, if were to take him at his word it looks like the clubs' not going anywhere anytime soon though once next Fridays come & gone, no sign of the Bill, that could well be subject to change. He's left the door open in walking back his statements of late...
Senate COW posted for March 20...all House bills...and as expected...no SB1149...

Four more days left in the session...

Old
03-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Senate COW posted for March 20...all House bills...and as expected...no SB1149...

Four more days left in the session...
Not that it really matters but don't the Senate bills get posted later in the day?

Edit: Whoops never mind...I was looking at the wrong colour

Plus it appears next Friday is an 'off day' so 4 days left it is!

Old
03-17-2017, 04:41 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I'll say.... still supposedly completely confident they'll get an arena going elsewhere in the Valley/Phoenix.... but before that.... "Glendale reneged on the 15yr agreement
on a technicality... lobbying against efforts with the state" (words to that effect).... Adding insult to injury are they?............ Man, who knew the COG was so Evil?
Ya, enlighten your listening audience on Glendale reneging L'ill Gary. Nothing to do with Tindal and Frisoni and that fool Leblanc for bringing them on board the Coyote train.

How did the $200 million lawsuit go?

Quote:
Coyotes attorney Nick Wood informed Glendale council members the team will file for injunctive relief and a temporary restraining order in addition to a $200-million lawsuit against the city. Wood did not mince words at the Wednesday meeting, telling the council: “If you go ahead with this motion, you will lose this case.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...ssive-lawsuit/

One of my favourite quotes of the Coyotes saga.

Quote:
"What we have witnessed here tonight is possibly the most shameful exhibition of government I have ever witnessed," Coyotes president, CEO and co-owner Anthony Leblanc told reporters after the vote. "The citizens of Glendale should be very concerned about the government that they have leading them right now, because this was not appropriate… We have been absolutely wronged this evening by a group that is acting in incredibly bad faith."
Let's not leave out the little commish.

Quote:
I'm actually really not concerned about the Coyotes,” Bettman said on Hockey Night in Canada. “If I lived in Glendale, I would be concerned about my government because all this is about is an attempt to renegotiate a lease that was negotiated in good faith and validly adopted by the city council in Glendale less than two years ago...If this is how Glendale does business, I think they're going to have far more problems than dealing with the Coyotes."
Can't wait to see L'ill Gary reveal these other arena opportunities in the valley. He is going to need to make the NHL BOG whole again and there only appears to be one way out.

Old
03-17-2017, 05:00 PM
blues10

Quote:
Why the **** does his head move like that? I used to think it's because he's an annoying little weasel but now I think it's medical.
L'ill Gary has what is commonly referred to as "Pinocchio Syndrome". It effects different individuals in different ways but is most commonly associated with abnormal body movements or growths when telling a lie or series of lies or mistruths. The name originated from the 1881 children's story in which the character "Pinocchio's" nose grows when telling a lie, series of lies or mistruths. In some individuals who repeatedly tell so many lies, series of lies or mistruths one's own body and mind can not tell fact from fiction and the abnormal body function or movement is always present when speaking. In milder cases of "Pinocchio Syndrome" large US TV network deals have eased symptoms as has municipal, state and federal governments appetite to fund large arena projects. There is no known cure when severely afflicted but early clinical research indicates if certain bills are passed in to legislation in a true "private/public" relationship that symptoms disappear overnight.

disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor but did watch quite a bit of Walt Disney shows as a small child.

Old
03-17-2017, 05:03 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
L'ill Gary has what is commonly referred to as "Pinocchio Syndrome". It effects different individuals in different ways but is most commonly associated with abnormal body movements or growths when telling a lie or series of lies or mistruths. The name originated from the 1881 children's story in which the character "Pinocchio's" nose grows when telling a lie, series of lies or mistruths. In some individuals who repeatedly tell so many lies, series of lies or mistruths one's own body and mind can not tell fact from fiction and the abnormal body function or movement is always present when speaking. In milder cases of "Pinocchio Syndrome" large US TV network deals have eased symptoms as has municipal, state and federal governments appetite to fund large arena projects. There is no known cure when severely afflicted but early clinical research indicates if certain bills are passed in to legislation in a true "private/public" relationship that symptoms disappear overnight.

disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor but did watch quite a bit of Walt Disney shows as a small child.
So poker night with Gary Bettman might be lucrative.

Old
03-17-2017, 05:15 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Absolutely horrible PR move, it screams desperation that the reality of a lame duck is now upon them! Only team in the NHL having to resort to such a move. It speaks volumes of how this ownership group has essentially given up. The tarps are a symbol of DEFEAT! Spin it as you like with advertising this is a sad development in the charade of IA and the NHL!
did you read the article?

this happened seven years ago....things have since changed now...

Old
03-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
So poker night with Gary Bettman might be lucrative.
Uhh, no, no I dont think it would be madhi. not entirely sure, but reasonably certain GB as a yoinger man mustve gotten ahold of some John Blofeld (who Im sure not coincidentally shares the same surname of Ian Flemigs Baddie; Ernst Stavro Blofeld of 007 Thunderball fame, played brilliantly by Canadian Actor Donald Pleasance) books, I Ching & so on studying ancient Tibetan practices pre-theocracy, way way way back, following the lessons of Deity Creationism & Destruction, power of the human mind... hardwired to the one universal mind..... that we live in a virtual reality universe and he's free to create whatever reality he imagines reality to be.... Not someone with whom youd want to play cards... for money.

Last edited by Killion: 03-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old
03-17-2017, 06:03 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Hmmm...where have I heard this before...

To quote:

"Mayor Naheed Nenshi says Calgarians have been loud and clear in their opposition to using public dollars to finance a new arena for the Flames, and to the NHL commissioner jumping into the debate.

"The calls to our office, the emails, the comments have been, I would say, 99.999997 per cent saying please Mr. Bettman stay out of it and no, there should be no public money for this," said Nenshi."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lars-1.4029227
hello calgary meet seattle..

Last edited by sawchuk1971: 03-17-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old
03-17-2017, 07:31 PM
halligan10

Quote:
Video clip (approximately the 1:35 time mark) includes Coyotes situation
This guy's head is shaking as soon as he can't get what he wants

Old
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
When was the last time an arena had tarped off areas?
Believe it was Florida.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:04 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
That would make a great episode of house.
Doesn't the bill have to pass the Senate before going to the House?

Old
03-17-2017, 08:12 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Bettman would be the best Wrestling Heel of all time. He wouldn't even have to wrestle, just come out, cut promos, and let others fight for him. Best promo in the NHL, and the Greatest heat magnet in all of sports. He'd be more over on the heel side of this WWE roster than everyone besides the Miz, and that's without appearing on the program.

WWE should get in on that.

Oh, my, god.

Bettman as the mouthpiece for a company takeover angle, and then he wins, and cuts promos on the fans, negotiates for better dates and venues with cities. That would be a money angle. Leading up to a no DQ match at wrestlemania for control of the company.
Bettman wishes he drew the kind of ire Dana White does. Dana is basically foul-mouthed Bettman. Hired mouthpiece for the people who are actually doing the talking, and loves the heat they bring for basically trolling the fans.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:15 PM
USAUSA1

I hate pro wrestling

Old
03-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Doesn't the bill have to pass the Senate before going to the House?
Nice one...

But...as discussed previously...there is still a chance...through some political medical miracle in that the Senate could, could, be bypassed and LeBlanc's 'bill' transplanted in one of many ways before the legislative session ends...

However, the current Senate bill, from the information that I am aware of, is still DOA...

I do not think even House could take LeBlanc's 'pile of dirt' and then form it into a living, breathing arena district...

(See what I did there... )

Closed Thread