HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers defence

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Kluivert4Ever

vCash: 500
Rangers defence

This year we have allowed under 27 shots per game, when Richter was here for example he had to face 30+ shots a game during several seasons.
Now, 3-4 extra shots might not seem much but over the long haul an average of 27 and 31 is a big difference IMO.
I give a lot of the credit to our forwards who has done a good job backchecking, that was non existent during the previous years.

But all in all, we rant sometimes about how poor our defence is but to allow under 27 shots, while not great, its certaintly decent, especially in the "new NHL".

Old
02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Fletch

It's not just defense though...

I think when you have a guy like Jagr out there for 20+ minutes per night, you control the puck and thus take away from the opposing team's ability to take shots. And the notion of team defense comes into play here too, as the forwards are better shot blockers than past forwards on this team. The defense is a bit better too, but I do remember one season in which Leetch was the league's leading shot blocker. So apples to apples, the forwards are better in that regard in the past.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I think when you have a guy like Jagr out there for 20+ minutes per night, you control the puck and thus take away from the opposing team's ability to take shots. And the notion of team defense comes into play here too, as the forwards are better shot blockers than past forwards on this team. The defense is a bit better too, but I do remember one season in which Leetch was the league's leading shot blocker. So apples to apples, the forwards are better in that regard in the past.

I agree, I was not necessarily saying that our defensemen are individually better than the ones of previous years, just that overall defence (team defence).
Which results in us not allowing as many shots as we used to, yes our goalies have been great but that is not the whole story behind our low GAA. That gives me greater comfort than knowing that our goalies have to stand on their heads just to give us a win, like Richter had to.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Fletch

I will also say...

and to be fair, the defensemen, overall, are better than in the past. Even Kaspar's playing better than Kaspar has, and Poti's playing better than Poti has.

Old
02-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and to be fair, the defensemen, overall, are better than in the past. Even Kaspar's playing better than Kaspar has, and Poti's playing better than Poti has.

True, but our defensmen looked worse then they acctually were before because of the complete lack of team defence, look at guys like Jeff Finley, how was terrible while but become a solid d-man on St.Louis.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
...look at guys like Jeff Finley, how was terrible while but become a solid d-man on St.Louis.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
True, but our defensmen looked worse then they acctually were before because of the complete lack of team defence, look at guys like Jeff Finley, how was terrible while but become a solid d-man on St.Louis.
Coaching has been the biggest disappointment in NY the last 7 years. We finally have some good guys in there and it's paying off.

This by no means is a great defense, but as a unit(especially with the 'Unit of 5') they've been able to control the puck, & when they havn't Lundqvist has been there. Think about the goals we've seen this team give up - almost always its a breakdown caused by a one on one play or by a blatant giveaway. I give those guys credit though, almost all of the usual suspects have improved their play after the early season gaffes.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
This by no means is a great defense, but as a unit(especially with the 'Unit of 5') they've been able to control the puck, & when they havn't Lundqvist has been there. Think about the goals we've seen this team give up - almost always its a breakdown caused by a one on one play or by a blatant giveaway. I give those guys credit though, almost all of the usual suspects have improved their play after the early season gaffes.
That is exactly why it is tantalizing to think of how good this team can be defensively (as soon as next year), if they simply improve on the level of several of the current defensemen.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Sicilian

Fletch hit it right on the head;

when you've got a guy like jagr out there (and straka and nylander are decent working with him as far as puck possesion is concerned) and you can control the puck for large chunks of time it helps your shots against. also, keep in mind that as long as jagr is out there, teams have to be aware of him and play a little more conservative, hence fewer offensive chances taken.

overall though, from the games i've seen, there just seems to be more organization on this team than in years past. our breakouts are better, our positioning is better, and forwards and d-men alike are playing with more energy. there are many reasons for this; coaching, the right players, etc.

always room for improvement though, i'm just hoping it comes in the form of guys like staal, pock, baranka, etc, in years to come, and not from a veteran rental this year.

Old
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Fletch

Took a look at Jagr's stats...

while shots taken aren't always an indication of dominance, he took 3.16 shots per game as a Ranger in the last NHL season, and 3.86 with Washington the prior year. This season he's averaging 4.46 shots per game. And the puck's just staying on his stick.

Old
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's not just Jagr's line, it's the lower lines too. Moore's line has been very good at getting the puck in the offensive zone and then keeping it there, ditto Betts and Ward's line too. And with Betts out, Ward and Hossa have also shown that ability.

Old
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
eco's bones

Coaching is a big thing. Breakouts are much better--that could also be attributed somewhat to some of the new rules. Our defense is very rarely caught running around anymore. We watched several seasons worth of that. The defense is calm--maybe sometimes too calm but it's still a lot better than being in a panic.

Old
02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

Hard work, applied with some intelligence, playing within the systems and game plans, supported by GOOD game plans and positive reinforcement... and only a B talent level (except for the A-level goaltending which forgives what failings remain). As in business, amazing what a well-led, real TEAM can do. And almost as hard to actually find or create. Which is why this year is so cool and the nitpicking SO beside the point. Given the diametrically different group we were asked to support for most of the last 10 years, this is nothing less than a bleeding miracle... not just the current level of accomplishment, but the fact that its basis is a legitimate platform to do even better things from in future. And that it's occurred on Sather's watch. You can only guess that his pride and ego either became so badly bruised that he really had to go back and find his old best self, or that Renney and Maloney are really driving the bus. Either way...

Closed Thread