HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #16

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2017, 11:04 PM
biotk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post
Matthews has 0 points in his last 7 games

What's up?
Hyman.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotk View Post
Hyman.
He has played with Hyman all season long. Didn't stop him from scoring. He's just visibly tired.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Mitts Marner*

Quote:

What's up?
He lost the will to play hockey after he heard Bettman gave up on the Coyotes.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:33 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
46 OZ starts and 13 DZ starts 5v5 in this 7 games for Matthews. Babcock maxing out the sheltering to try to get him going.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:37 PM
biotk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
He has played with Hyman all season long. Didn't stop him from scoring. He's just visibly tired.
-Teams have figured out that Hyman doesn't need to be covered. They double and triple check Matthews.
-Hyman has stopped doing all those things he is heralded for doing.
-He looks fine when he is on the ice without Hyman - for instance, his short amount of time with Marner today, and his short stints with Kadri in the past couple games.
-He has played 92% of his 5v5 time with Hyman. No one does that. People complain that Crosby is saddled with Kunitz (18% of his 5v5 time) and that McDavid is saddled with Maroon (55% of his 5v5 time).
-He is not tired. He is frustrated.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Rambokala

Quote:
-Teams have figured out that Hyman doesn't need to be covered. They double and triple check Matthews.
-Hyman has stopped doing all those things he is heralded for doing.
-He looks fine when he is on the ice without Hyman - for instance, his short amount of time with Marner today, and his short stints with Kadri in the past couple games.
-He has played 92% of his 5v5 time with Hyman. No one does that. People complain that Crosby is saddled with Kunitz (18% of his 5v5 time) and that McDavid is saddled with Maroon (55% of his 5v5 time).
-He is not tired. He is frustrated.
Yes it took teams 60+ games to figure this out. He is tired.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
Matthews-Marner would solidify one of them winning it in my opinion. They look so good together when they're on the ice at the same time. If Laine and Matthews slump for any more time, I can see Marner or Werenski coming in and taking it.
While Laine has slowed down a bit over his last 7 games
2 goals and 2 assists
I don't think that is a full on slump.
Definitely under producing to the lofty standard he has set.

11 games to get 7 goals... it will likely take a multi goal game to get the momentum rolling enough to make this happen.

Tonight Jets and Leafs fans could rejoice in the defeat of the Islanders!
Good thing for both teams the first 5 minutes was not indicative of the rest of the game.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Arizonan God

Laine and Matthews are obviously bums. Back to Europe!!

Old
03-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Arizonan God

Quote:

What's up?
Just slumping. Played bad against Florida, but other then that he's been playing fine. Tonight he was really good defensively and created some chances.

Having that anchor Hyman on his wing doesn't help. He's such a bum.

Old
03-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Mats13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I haven't seen the Jets play in a little over a week, but Matthews is running on fumes. He's still playing pretty well just on skill and smarts alone, but he doesn't have the buzz he had most of the year.

He's out of gas, he's not taking off...
Its quickly becoming Laine's to lose now.
I thought he was fantastic today

Did you watch the game or are you box score watching?

Old
03-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats13 View Post
I thought he was fantastic today

Did you watch the game or are you box score watching?
He did have some jump in him today, but i noticed that he was keeping his shifts maybe a tad short?

Old
03-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Harmonica1

Matthews played poorly again.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica1 View Post
Matthews played poorly again.
He actually played really well, just didn't have the point to show for it. Thanks for admitting you didn't watch the game though. Drive by post it seems like.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:20 AM
Mats13

Quote:
He did have some jump in him today, but i noticed that he was keeping his shifts maybe a tad short?
I don't know what you mean by short, but his shifts are never very long.

Personally, I view that as a positive. Short shifts are usually the best ones, when you stay out there long, you risk making bad plays because of exhaustion.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:35 AM
biotk

Quote:
Yes it took teams 60+ games to figure this out. He is tired.
BS. He has 12 takeaways in the last 7 games, with only 1 giveaway. Not only is that double anyone else on the team in TKAs, but the lack of GVAs is outstanding - for instance, Gardner is 6 and 6, Kadri is 5 and 5, Nylander 3 and 3, and Marner is 2 and 5. He has done all the little things just as well as he has all year. His line is almost never scored on, including shutting out the other team out during the 7 goal-against gong show against the Panthers.

None of that would be the case if he was tired. He is frustrated to be put in an impossible position offensively, and that can be seen every time he is removed from that situation for a few seconds.

Quote:
His shifts were the exact same length as they always are - they averaged 45 seconds, exactly how long his average shift had been over the preceding 6 games, and exactly how long his average shift had been over the 6 games before that when he had 9 points.

You make things up to conform with your bias.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Asiantuntija

Referee and NYI coach robbed one assist from Pate. Islanders coach was like a little ***** last night cried about every single think.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:40 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
BS. He has 12 takeaways in the last 7 games, with only 1 giveaway. Not only is that double anyone else on the team in TKAs, but the lack of GVAs is outstanding - for instance, Gardner is 6 and 6, Kadri is 5 and 5, Nylander 3 and 3, and Marner is 2 and 5. He has done all the little things just as well as he has all year. His line is almost never scored on, including shutting out the other team out during the 7 goal-against gong show against the Panthers.

None of that would be the case if he was tired. He is frustrated to be put in an impossible position offensively, and that can be seen every time he is removed from that situation for a few seconds.

His shifts were the exact same length as they always are - they averaged 45 seconds, exactly how long his average shift had been over the preceding 6 games, and exactly how long his average shift had been over the 6 games before that when he had 9 points.

You make things up to conform with your bias.
I am not biased. Im saying Matthews is better than you think. Teams have been watching him all season. He is a big guy. Big guys get tired. Also a rookie. Rookies get tired.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:55 AM
biotk

Quote:
I am not biased. Im saying Matthews is better than you think. Teams have been watching him all season. He is a big guy. Big guys get tired. Also a rookie. Rookies get tired.
Teams have been watching him all season, just as they watch other great players. The difference is they have realised that they can pay no attention to Hyman at all.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:04 AM
10Ducky10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Overall he was okay at times quite bad but pretty good other times.

Had some really good defensive plays. That crisp long crease pass to ehlers (who shots it into middle of net instead of big opening) had a couple of chances but far too few in my opinion. He also had an assist taken away due to offside challenge, which btw was an awesome play by the line. Had 2 good opportunities. Made some smart plays and had an really good solo rush towards the goal but shot high.

So that was the good, may have missed some.

Now the bad.

Got stripped (giveaway?) Of the puck which led to a goal. Looked slow at times, slow legs compared to normal. Seemed to have hard time to contain pucks at times (could be unlucky bounces on some). Did not get any shots or pp time on the pp. Missplayed some puck and just seemed to have a bit of an off games but nothing terrible. I may have missed some. his line Spent alot of time in own zone and i dont know if that was due to islanders effectively shutting down his line or due to him or due to linemates.

Seemed as most of his focus was on defense today.

Overall a mediocre game could have had a goal or two. Nice to see the rest of the team step up.

Poorly is a bit harsch, is it because he did not end up on the scoreboard? Not good not bad mediocre i would say.
Bad in terms of offense and pretty good at defense in some key moments.

The momentun for him got away in this one due to a couple penalties in the first i think.

Also pp1 unit was out for 1.30 .. on one pp he really neeeds to be given a chance on that unit in games like this.

His icetime was a high 16 minutes so he may have been worse than what i perceived aswell.

Anyway i try to be objective and this is how i perceived the game.
His defensive game is about where you would expect it for a rookie, a lot to learn. He needs to play a smarter D game. I'm not worried about his goals or assists and I agree that he is a great passer but he played poorly tonight.vAlso, did he not turn the puck over in his own end against the boards (again) that lead to the 2nd goal? There are other forwards on this team that need to learn the D game as well.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:09 AM
tntkid

The monkeys in the truck in Toronto took away Laine's assist on the called back goal.
smh

Old
03-17-2017, 01:10 AM
Halakitlikethat

Matthews will be fine. It's a long season and he is just a kid.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:11 AM
User9992

Laine is having PPG season as a 18 years old rookie.

Also LAINEC > Matthews

Old
03-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Halberdier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
I still find it silly that people always complain that the jets leader in powerplay points needs to gtfo the ice for someone that has 1 powerplay point in their last 20 games. Like Laine is still top 3 among jets forwards in powerplay time, let's not try and place the blame where it doesn't belong shall we? Wheeler averaging 6 seconds of powerplay time per game more than Laine isn't something to cry about.
Problem with Wheeler and Buff is not the absolute amount of 10 seconds more they "steal" PP time. The problem is the way they are stealing it. In the last game Wheeler saw that other guys are going to change, so he made a odd-man rush into the NYI end, with no other possibility than lose the puck, and therefore lose the opportunity for PP2 to come in and score. You know that 1-on-5 kind of rush you need to do on PK to play the seconds off the clock. And Buff has so many times looked like "yeah, whatever, we in PP1 did not score, so I'm not interested to help that PP2 to get their PP-play running ASAP". Kind of controller disconnected moments for these captains when their own scoring opportunities are ruined.

Buff has many times made it so that he refuses to go to the bench, and is then too tired to do things properly. For example last OT loss was caused by that.

Good players otherwise, but a bit less selfishness would do wonders for these two guys right now. Changes for playoffs are pretty much gone, but still you should keep trying.

(Speaking of PP2, it finally did have some moments like it was working. Sad that that offside goal didn't count.)

Old
03-17-2017, 01:21 AM
Halberdier

Quote:
I did watch only couple of his shifts against TBL, but I was actually surprised how good stamina he had with a quite long shift and still skating very strong. I just guess that the mental fatique plays a bigger role here than the physical, though probably there is both. For example he didn't look visibly tired, like Laine and Scheifele did on tight schedule playing high minutes last autumn.

Old
03-17-2017, 02:51 AM
Petri1981

90% of Matthews goals came from where he rushed to a free area to receive a pass right in front 10 feet away from the net. Now he needs to figure out other ways to score.

Closed Thread