HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #16

Old
03-17-2017, 02:51 AM
Petri1981

vCash: 500
90% of Matthews goals came from where he rushed to a free area to receive a pass right in front 10 feet away from the net. Now he needs to figure out other ways to score.

Petri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:19 AM
Plural

vCash: 50
From fan pov it sucks that Laine and Matthews are finishing the season on a low note. There is still time to go on a tear and I hope it happens. This amazing calder race deserves to end with a bang. Werenski is still going strong. Maybe he comes from behind and takes it all?

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:48 AM
Asiantuntija

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
From fan pov it sucks that Laine and Matthews are finishing the season on a low note. There is still time to go on a tear and I hope it happens. This amazing calder race deserves to end with a bang. Werenski is still going strong. Maybe he comes from behind and takes it all?
I feel it's very unlikely to happen that Werenski scores over 20 pts in rest of games. Because that's what he needs to get Calder. In that scenario Matthews and Laine should also be very quiet rest of the season.

Laine played very well last night, his assist got robbed and Islanders were so scared about his shot, that they decide to guard him too tight. Result was lot of open space to the rest of the line way too often. Ehlers and Little did very well in those situations.

Something what i haven't seen too much in the conversation is Pates skill to create space to his linemates. That's something what most of people doesn't even understand, but it's one of the most important skills at game. That 196 cm height with skills and pace gives so much different options that i don't really know how defenders guard him at future? That arsenal really takes defenders out of their places.

Jets should master Laine skills to create open space and good thinks will come.

Asiantuntija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Lari

Werenski should win it as long as he performs better than the others. Points shouldn't be a major factor for d-men.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 04:06 AM
jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
Werenski should win it as long as he performs better than the others. Points shouldn't be a major factor for d-men.
Nope. Laine's season is historically more impressive.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 05:17 AM
Nuusku

Werenski is the real deal. I wouldn't mind handing him the Calder. It would actually be just funny after all these ridiculous threads.

Nuusku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:05 AM
NotCommitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
While Laine has slowed down a bit over his last 7 games
2 goals and 2 assists
I don't think that is a full on slump.
Definitely under producing to the lofty standard he has set.
Last 5:
Matthews 0p
Laine 2p
Marner 5p

Last 10:
Matthews 3p
Laine 10p
Marner 8p

So yeah while Laine has slowed down for the moment, he hasn't gone more than 2 games in a row without a point and is still P/GP for last 10. I find it hard to call that slumping yet, funny he gets lumped together with Matthews in that (who is actually slumping as far as offensive production goes). What these Calder threads need now is a couple multipoint games from both Matthews and Laine, to finish the season in a high, we deserve final threads worthy of the previous 15... the amount of flaming and ridiculous arguments, mostly focusing on downplaying the other player with cherry picked obscure stats is slumping

NotCommitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Vohaul

Obviously people hold Laine to a different standard the rest of the league if this is "slumping".
he's not at his best point pace right now but he's still getting on the scoreboard pretty regularly. He scored a goal the game previous to last and would have had assist last game if they hadn't called it offside.

Can't except goals and hattricks every game. No player does that, rookie or not. That said, I do hope he heats up again and gets to 40 goals.
Either way, he's already about doubled the points I realistically expected from him in a rookie season so it's been an incredible season so far. As has Matthews', Marner's and Werenski's been.

Vohaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:16 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCommitted View Post
Last 5:
Matthews 0p
Laine 2p
Marner 5p

Last 10:
Matthews 3p
Laine 10p
Marner 8p
Last 5
Werenski 5 pts

Last 10
Werneski 8 its

03-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Aholaine
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohaul View Post
Obviously people hold Laine to a different standard the rest of the league if this is "slumping".
It's a standard he himself has set by being awesome. Even the commentators in the Nashville game joked about it, when they said he ended his "long 3-game goal drought". It's a good thing.

Aholaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:23 AM
grieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCommitted View Post
Last 5:
Matthews 0p
Laine 2p
Marner 5p

Last 10:
Matthews 3p
Laine 10p
Marner 8p

So yeah while Laine has slowed down for the moment, he hasn't gone more than 2 games in a row without a point and is still P/GP for last 10. I find it hard to call that slumping yet, funny he gets lumped together with Matthews in that (who is actually slumping as far as offensive production goes). What these Calder threads need now is a couple multipoint games from both Matthews and Laine, to finish the season in a high, we deserve final threads worthy of the previous 15... the amount of flaming and ridiculous arguments, mostly focusing on downplaying the other player with cherry picked obscure stats is slumping
Ahem, allow me to try.

Laine is clearly going to be the best player ever because let's face it, Matthews and the rest just sucks. They sucks so bad that I'm ashamed to be called a hockey fan. Laine's dad would easily beat up Matthews' mom, no questions asked. That is not even debatable.

Werenski just sucks too. He doesn't even have 30 goals, I mean that is just ridiculously bad. Marner is getting some points but cmon getting injured like that is so bad. Look at Laine, that is how a real man gets injured.

And who asked Murray to play goalie. How is he going to get to 30 goals, EVEN IN HIS PRIME? What a completely ridiculous move by him. Yes he is stopping some pucks BUT WHERE IS THE OFFENCE.

Just ridiculous. Oh and Laine is the best.

I'm not even going to mention the other rookies who are dancing with 20 goals or something like that. This is not Baby Hockey League, but the NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE. Just fire these bums already. Unbelievable rookie crop this year.

grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Iceman

Patrio Laineux!!

Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:39 AM
SnizzMitch
Leafs & Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post
Matthews has 0 points in his last 7 games

What's up?
Zach ****ING Hyman

SnizzMitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
Last 5
Werenski 5 pts

Last 10
Werneski 8 its
Werenski has kept up his unreal play all year. IMO he is slowly passing everyone for the Calder in the past 5-10 games.

He has made a massive difference for CBJ and is a huge reason for their SUCCESS

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Vohaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aholaine View Post
It's a standard he himself has set by being awesome. Even the commentators in the Nashville game joked about it, when they said he ended his "long 3-game goal drought". It's a good thing.
Yeah that was quite funny. True that, he's smashed all expectations and already one the best goal scorers in the league at 18 years old.

Just makes me laugh a bit when people talk about a slump.. it's only been a 1 game now since he scored a goal. As much as I want him to get back on a PPG+ pace and win the rocket while he's at it, can't really talk about slump just yet.. he has slowed down a bit for now.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Mulletman

Matthews now has 7 games without a point and he plays Chicago, Boston and Columbus next. Hard to score much on those teams too. It seems like the Schedule is getting to Matthews.

Should Babcock make Matthews sit out a game or two to get some rest? Toronto will need a fresh Matthews in the playoffs, but could sitting him out have a negative impact on his future development? Some guys don't take kindly to getting benched.

Mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Werenski would be my pick for Rookie of the year. Although, I'm partial to a rookie defensemen having a great year over forwards. And I'm also a big fan of Matthews, so TO fans please chill.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 03-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:17 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletman View Post
Matthews now has 7 games without a point and he plays Chicago, Boston and Columbus next. Hard to score much on those teams too. It seems like the Schedule is getting to Matthews.

Should Babcock make Matthews sit out a game or two to get some rest? Toronto will need a fresh Matthews in the playoffs, but could sitting him out have a negative impact on his future development? Some guys don't take kindly to getting benched.
There's no question the amount of games has caught up with him... The part lost on most of you whose posts indicate you obviously don't watch, is that he's still one of their best players every night. He made a few plays I can think of last night that were well beyond his years, and reason for anyone who cares to step back from the ledge... He's set the bar so high, and been so impactful for the first 3/4 that it's noticeable he just isn't dominating how he had been.

Regarding sitting out? I don't know. They're battling for a playoff spot and they're a much better team with Matthews at 50% then they are with anyone who might replace him... Sitting a couple games won't effect his development, and it might actually be best for the preservation of his body... But Babcock and the Leafs want to make the playoffs now and their chances of doing that are much better if Auston Matthews is in their lineup.

Matthews probably wouldn't take kindly to it. He wants to win, he wants to help the team, and he's still probably their best player most nights... His play doesn't warrant a scratch so he might not like it, I'm not sure I'd blame him.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Vohaul

Quote:

Matthews would probably benefit from some rest BUT Toronto resting him for playoffs now makes no sense as they are still fighting for their spot in the playoffs, and Toronto is a far better team with Matthews in the lineup even if he IS tired and not scoring right now. From what little I watched of him against Tampa he didn't look overly gassed and struggling.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:24 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

It's a long season for all the rookies. This is the biggest adjustment from playing College, oversees, or junior to the NHL grind.

The Calder will probably be decided by who can finish the best in the remaining games. The race is taking on more as a Marathon as opposed to a sprint.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Werenski would be my pick for Rookie of the year. Although, I'm partial to a rookie defensemen having a great year over forwards. And I'm also a big fan Matthews, so TO fans please chill.
Werenski creeping up as Laine and Matthews slow down

At this point with Matthews staying around 55 points I think Werenski should be up there with him
While Laine still has the lead
Matthews needs to stay relevant on the scoreboard if he wants to stay relevant in the race

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
biotk

Quote:

Matthews has 6 points in 5 games against those teams and so far this season has been just as productive as the league's best teams, as he has been against the league's worst teams. He has played well during his recent games despite some people thinking that he looks tired either because they don't watch the games, or think he should be able to fly around the ice creating lots of scoring opportunities at will while carrying with the league's heaviest anchor every minute of 5v5 and being double and triple teamed. Matthews has no space out there and will not until Babcock mixes the lines up (which will happen a week past never).

Still Matthews has done what he can under the circumstances. He has 12 TKAs in 7 games, and has been great defensively. In other words he doesn't let frustration offensively result in cheating on the defensive play. In those 7 games he has been 1.75 GA/60 min at 5v5.

For March (so far) 5v5: GP - GF/60min - GA/60Min (Dif)
Matthews: 7 - 1.17 - 1.75 (-0.57)
McDaivd: 6 - 4.26 - 2.44 (+1.82)
Crosby: 8 - 1.81 - 2.72 (-0.91)
Marner: 7 - 4.90 - 2.80 (+2.10)
Tkachuk: 6 - 2.96 - 2.96 (0)
Ovechkin: 8 - 2.81 - 3.37 (-0.56)
Marchand: 8 - 3.69 - 3.69 (0)
Kadri: 7- 1.28 - 3.84 (-2.56)
Kane: 8 - 3.93 - 4.37 (-0.44)
Laine: 7 - 3.24 - 4.54 (-1.30)

biotk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
Last 5
Werenski 5 pts

Last 10
Werneski 8 its
As a Jets' fan, yeah I hear you. I'm a Jets fan, but Werenski's season has been pretty impressive. I'd be more ok with him winning the Calder than I would with Matthews taking it. But either way, all 3 of them, and Marner too have had pretty amazing seasons. Werenski is easy to overlook because he's not JUST an offensive defenseman, and Marner is (probably) the 2nd best rookie on his team.

I'm still giving it to Laine at this point based on points per game and being the youngest, but that's just me and I think a very strong case could be made for any of the 4.

Off topic, your sig and your handle are both awesome songs. PJ and MJK are two of my very very favourites

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:48 PM
leafsfuture

Leafs fan saying Laine .... unless Matthews goes like 10 goals, 17-18 points in the final 13 games.

Laine's stats are amazing of for a rookie. Only Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and McDavid can top those.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Werenski has kept up his unreal play all year. IMO he is slowly passing everyone for the Calder in the past 5-10 games.

He has made a massive difference for CBJ and is a huge reason for their SUCCESS
And I think this is why Werenski should win it over two guys on non-playoff teams. The Jackets were a last place team last season. Not anymore. He is a key factor in that SUCCESS.

And why even bother comparing d-men points with forwards? How about advanced stats?

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote