HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin - At Least We Got a New Coach Edition

Old
03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
A great gm would have moved pk at the draft , taken a centre and sergachev at #9. Bergevin is a guy you want running your salvage yard , not your Mercedes dealership.

Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't agree on this. We shouldn't just give up on this core. Price in his prime we can't just pack up and go. We have to take an honest run and go for it.

If it doesn't work, then we can deal away assets for picks and go the rebuild route down the road. It's not a waste to try to win with this core.
My thoughts exactly.

No need to throw in the towel from now.

If Price extends, we do not go into rebuild mode, whatsoever. If he doesn't, you look at your options either way because you might not need to rebuild if you get a real good replacement and you won't need to rebuild.

But if you plan on rebuilding, you have two young promising goalies in your system in Lindgren and McNiven who can be part of the rebuild.

Last edited by Adam Michaels: 03-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:23 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yes, life is so hard for millionaires in high level positions. We should all be so humbled that we have a GM who doesn't try.
This is so false......just this season alone, Fillpula and Hansen nixed a trade to the habs and it was confirmed that Montreal was one of 4 teams who had a meeting with Stamkos.......like why just flat out make up stuff? because this is exactly what you did here!

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
This is so false......just this season alone, Fillpula and Hansen nixed a trade to the habs and it was confirmed that Montreal was one of 4 teams who had a meeting with Stamkos.......like why just flat out make up stuff? because this is exactly what you did here!
It's a lot more fun than reality and if you can get into the right job like a writer, filmmaker or con man making up stuff can be real profitable.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:36 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Huh?
Team USA might send female scabs to the IIHF because of a labour dispute. Call it a bad joke LOL

scrubadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:39 PM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Icing View Post
It's a lot more fun than reality and if you can get into the right job like a writer, filmmaker or con man making up stuff can be real profitable.

watch the barrage of excuses and comebacks heading this way.....

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
c3z4r

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's a first, where did you read that they both rejected a trade to Montreal?

I know Flipulla came out and admitted he rejected a trade to Toronto, but there wasn't anything about Montreal there.

c3z4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r View Post
That's a first, where did you read that they both rejected a trade to Montreal?

I know Flipulla came out and admitted he rejected a trade to Toronto, but there wasn't anything about Montreal there.
Dreger reported that a deal with Montreal was on the table and he rejected also.

Belial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
I don't agree on this. We shouldn't just give up on this core. Price in his prime we can't just pack up and go. We have to take an honest run and go for it.

If it doesn't work, then we can deal away assets for picks and go the rebuild route down the road. It's not a waste to try to win with this core.
Okay let's take the End Game and work backwards.
Start with a Stanley Cup roster and change out the missing pieces until we arrive at our current roster.
I count 4 tier one moves minimum to put us in the mix.
Two D one preferably a 1st pairing LHD and another preferably a 2nd pairing RHD better than Petry.
A 1A or 1B center to augment Galchenyuk and fast heavy left winger who can free up Max by being able to play up and down the first two lines and also create space for one of our smaller RWr's. Based on the past 5 years how long will it take to fill these holes? My guess is that our opportunities will have aged dried up or gone elsewhere by then. So despite our best efforts we will continue to be an also ran on this current path.

Last edited by Rapala: 03-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Rapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
My thoughts exactly.

No need to throw in the towel from now.

If Price extends, we do not go into rebuild mode, whatsoever. If he doesn't, you look at your options either way because you might not need to rebuild if you get a real good replacement and you won't need to rebuild.

But if you plan on rebuilding, you have two young promising goalies in your system in Lindgren and McNiven who can be part of the rebuild.
I'm honestly not advocating a complete rebuild under MB.
Just like I was opposed to making any major roster moves under MT...

What I'm saying is we are not in a particularly enviable position with regards to our assets.
And that we are likely to plod along until a change of philosophy takes place at the highest levels.

Old
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this? Fillpula nixed a trade to TO, not Montreal. Have I missed something there?

03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapala View Post
I'm honestly not advocating a complete rebuild under MB.
Just like I was opposed to making any major roster moves under MT...

What I'm saying is we are not in a particularly enviable position with regards to our assets.
And that we are likely to plod along until a change of philosophy takes place at the highest levels.
I won't argue your point because I agree that a rebuild will occur when a new management steps in and wants to deconstruct and rebuild with their vision.

I will, however, say that I don't believe we are in as bad a shape as some believe. In the NHL or our prospect pool.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Start with a Stanley Cup roster and change out the missing pieces until we arrive at our current roster.
Two D one preferably a 1st pairing LHD and another preferably a 2nd pairing RHD better than Petry.
A 1A or 1B center to augment Galchenyuk and fast heavy left winger who can free up Max by being able to play up and down the first two lines and also create space for one of our smaller RWr's. Based on the past 5 years how long will it take to fill these holes? My guess is that our opportunities will have aged dried up or gone elsewhere by then. So despite our best efforts we will continue to be an also ran on this current path.
We have a shot at the cup this year having done nothing. The club has great analytics and a goalie who can win a series by himself. We don't need four trades to be a legit contender. We've got a solid first line a decent D and need secondary scoring.

The team doesn't give up that many goals. If we could even just get a little more scoring we could take a serious run.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Belial

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this? Fillpula nixed a trade to TO, not Montreal. Have I missed something there?
There's a whole thread about it:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2197781

Old
03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Michelangelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Yet no one else but Dreger has brought it forward.

Uncredible. Next.

Michelangelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Belial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Yet no one else but Dreger has brought it forward.

Uncredible. Next.
Why would Dreger make up **** like this? Who cares? He loses all his credibility by making up stuff...

Old
03-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Why would Dreger make up **** like this? Who cares? He loses all his credibility by making up stuff...
you heard the man ... next

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:13 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Shining a light on ignorance.

Prepare for more Filpula suggestions in the next few pages. As well as Vrbata to save the Habs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Our D is as good as most contenders. Moving forward, the loss of Markov will be a hit, but as of right now he's playing solid hockey.

What separate the team from 1st-tier contenders is the offence. But even without that good center, Habs have enough talent to make it work, especially if the coaching staff can fix the power-play. A productive PP adds the equivalent of a 20-goal scorer.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Our D is as good as most contenders. Moving forward, the loss of Markov will be a hit, but as of right now he's playing solid hockey.
I was about to write the same thing and then saw your post. I think our defence rates with the best in the league. Throw Price back there and it's elite

Where we part ways in our assessment is on offence. I've said we needed another top six forward but to be a true contender (& for me to sleep comfortably at night) we need a second line center (50-60 points) and a second line winger (25 goals).

So we're only two players away and that's if we don't lose anybody from the team.

Old
03-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

What separate the team from 1st-tier contenders is the offence. But even without that good center, Habs have eneough talent to make it work, especially if the coaching staff can fix the power-play. A productive PP adds the equivalent of a 20-goal scorer.
I completely disagree on our D. Who are our Big Three?
We are either highly over-rated or very poorly coached, and I'm curious to see if we part like the Red Sea when the wick gets turned up. Markov and Emelin can both be beaten wide and teams have also exploited us up the gut. I'm fairly disappointed in Petry as he can't seem to keep it together for any length of time. But our main concern is what happens when the "Price Factor" gets negated by stellar play at the other end? We are entering that time of year where the team's making the fewest mistakes often come out on top. We still give up far too many golden opportunities while lacking the execution to take advantage of our opponents mishaps.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
I completely disagree on our D. Who are our Big Three?
Big Three? The only team that had a big three was the Habs of the 70s. Did the Pens have a big three on defence last year? They had it up front. The Hawks or Kings of the last 6 years? Or the Bruins.

If Julien removes Emelin from the picture the Habs have a defence that matches those previous cup winners.

What sticks out for me with those cup winning teams is they all had stellar goaltending.

Old
03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Big Three? The only team that had a big three was the Habs of the 70s. Did the Pens have a big three on defence last year? They had it up front. The Hawks or Kings of the last 6 years? Or the Bruins.

If Julien removes Emelin from the picture the Habs have a defence that matches those previous cup winners.

What sticks out for me with those cup winning teams is they all had stellar goaltending.
Our number 4 is either Emelin, a cast off from defensively weak Dallas or defensively weak Edmonton.. or Beaulieu who they don't trust.

Our D is serviceable at best.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:

What should stick out more would be the centerman line of all those teams. Goalies were good. Very good. But they weren't as game changing as the C's of those teams. Except Thomas of course. But even Boston had incredible performance for both Krejci and Bergeron.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Our number 4 is either Emelin, a cast off from defensively weak Dallas or defensively weak Edmonton.. or Beaulieu who they don't trust.

Our D is serviceable at best.
It's not that they don't trust Beaulieu. I think they're trying to give him a kick in the pants to wake him up. Because he has been blessed with great natural skills Beaulieu has really never had to push himself.

I'll give you two anecdotal examples that for me reveal where this kid is at. Mathieu Darche said the first time he saw BoBo he noticed that he had Nate The Great written on all his sticks. The second example: awhile back someone posted a video of the team doing stretch exercises in a parking lot. Everyone was taking them seriously everyone except for BoBo. A few posters even commented on Beaulieu's lackadaisical commitment.

The coaches and the GM see Beaulieu with all the skills in the world to be an elite d-man and yet he never pushes himself. Compare him to PK who started with less and has accomplished much much more.

The way I rate our d-men

Weber
Markov
Petry
Benn/Beaulieu (a toss up)
Davidson.

I've liked what I've see from both Benn & Davidson. Nothing spectacular. Just simple, mistake free defence.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 03-17-2017 at 09:33 PM.