HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Bergevin - At Least We Got a New Coach Edition

Old
03-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Icing View Post
Those reports have been for the most part discredited. He also said they were not true. Until he is caught lying I'll believe him.

It had been reported during the summer that Rads received offers with slightly longer term and even slightly higher salary. So why did he sign in Montreal?

Let's look at the player. He played in the Q and was loved. Saw that hockey even junior hockey means something in parts of Quebec.

He has seen the indifference in some NHL cities. He spent time in Nashville. At the time hockey was an after thought in that city. The energy here fuels him and also flatters his ego. And trust me he has a big ego.

Right now we have Markov, Emelin, Nestrov and Chucky who share ethnic backgrounds with him. It also looks like he is close to Shea and respects him. He has developed ties with some if not all his team mates.

He is used as one of the top dogs on this team. Again, fuels his ego.

He wants to win a cup.

If he leaves my guess is it would be to a hockey mad city that is a contender and needs a top six player and will use him as one. How many of those have the cap space?
Yes, we can write a nice story about it. Heck, even for someone who never played in Canada, you could say there's always a chance Mtl is of interest because it's the most storied franchise. So it's very easy to make a case for Montreal.
But as it stands, he's set to become a free agent and he's not going to sign for 5M after a rather successful comeback season in the NHL.
Maybe he'll surprise me and sign cheap, I doubt it, but sure maybe. Or not.
As it stands though, he's an upcoming free agent, by far the best one, all things considered, that could hit free agency. I don't see why he'd take on a cheap deal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Puck Luck Run Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
So naturally, Toronto's GM should also be fired for the exact same attempt, and Philly's GM should be fired immediately for actually signing the player.
Toronto's best players have entry level contracts and they have an enormous amount of cap space for the next two years, we don't. We have to resign Galchenyuk and Radulov but yea, Filppula and his declining production (2 pts in 8 games with Philly) and another year at 5 million is worth it. Philly's GM didn't sign the guy, Tampa did and at the time (4 years ago) it made some sense, Philly's GM is an idiot for trading for him though.

Puck Luck Run Amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:45 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
So naturally, Toronto's GM should also be fired for the exact same attempt, and Philly's GM should be fired immediately for actually signing the player.
Different organisations and their rosters exist in different contexts.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Puck Luck Run Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Team leads the league inncomebacks with 11 so far this year. No team it faces in the playoffs is going to have an easy time eleminating them.

And MB over the last 2 years added Byron Radu Danault Shaw and Lek to the lineup. Thats 2 top 6 and 3 solid top 9 players.

Byron about to score 20 goals at 1.1 million.
Really? Two top 6? Whose the second exactly?

Also, has Shaw been more impactful than Eller? Seems like a wash to me... 

I'll give him Danault, Radulov and Byron as 1 good top 6 and 2 good bottom 6 players. Lehkonen is a big MEH and I think the bigger issue is the absolute lack of any top prospects outside of Sergachev

Puck Luck Run Amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:53 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck Run Amok View Post
Really? Two top 6? Whose the second exactly?

Also, has Shaw been more impactful than Eller? Seems like a wash to me... 

I'll give him Danault, Radulov and Byron as 1 good top 6 and 2 good bottom 6 players. Lehkonen is a big MEH and I think the bigger issue is the absolute lack of any top prospects outside of Sergachev
Byron and Rads are 2 top 6. 20 G is good enough for top 6 in the NHL and factor in his salary and its a real steal.

Shaw has more points in less games than Eller. He has probably been the teams best forward since CJ came on board.

And NHL teams don't have a top 6 bottom 6 anymore its top 9 now. Danault has played in the habs top 6 most of the season. Borderline top6 player but solid top 9 player. Lek has been good for his first NA season and another 10 G scorer added by Berg.

My point was so much complaining about what MB didn't do that people are missing whats been happening in front of their face. Adding Rads/Byron/Shaw/Danault/Lek into the lineup has added lots of depth and scoring. Its frustrating that nothing else was added but that was the market this year.

11 3rd period comebacks so far this year. Any team facing the habs is going to have a difficult time eliminating them.

scrubadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Byron and Rads are 2 top 6. 20 G is good enough for top 6 in the NHL and factor in his salary and its a real steal.

Shaw has more points in less games than Eller. He has probably been the teams best forward since CJ came on board.

And NHL teams don't have a top 6 bottom 6 anymore its top 9 now. Danault has played in the habs top 6 most of the season. Borderline top6 player but solid top 9 player. Lek has been good for his first NA season and another 10 G scorer added by Berg.

My point was so much complaining about what MB didn't do that people are missing whats been happening in front of their face. Adding Rads/Byron/Shaw/Danault/Lek into the lineup has added lots of depth and scoring. Its frustrating that nothing else was added but that was the market this year.

11 3rd period comebacks so far this year. Any team facing the habs is going to have a difficult time eliminating them.
Byron w/ 35 pts is a solid top 6 player... but at 34 pts Danault is borderline ?

yeah sure...

the Habs were leading the game 3-2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, not the other way around...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Byron w/ 35 pts is a solid top 6 player... but at 34 pts Danault is borderline ?

yeah sure...
So are you arguing both are top 6 or neither? 20 G is enough for a top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
the Habs were leading the game 3-2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, not the other way around...
Fine split hairs, habs have 11 wins after trailing after 2 periods. Best in the NHL at coming back in the 3rd.

scrubadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige Van View Post
With the team's center depth, I don't even give them a puncher's chance against the Pittsburghs and Washingtons in the eastern conference. It is a wayyyyy more plausible that Murray or Holtby play as well as Price than Galchenyuk/Danault matching Crosby/Malkin or Backstrom/Kuznetsov.
Pens would be the favourites. Wouldn't be a shocker if we beat them though. We can beat any team in the league in a seven game series even with the holes we have. I don't think we have enough though to win four series and the cup. If we had some more scoring? Maybe. But we haven't done what we've needed to on that front.

03-19-2017, 06:51 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Team leads the league inncomebacks with 11 so far this year. No team it faces in the playoffs is going to have an easy time eleminating them.

And MB over the last 2 years added Byron Radu Danault Shaw and Lek to the lineup. Thats 2 top 6 and 3 solid top 9 players.

Byron about to score 20 goals at 1.1 million.

LOL. Regular season means NOTHING! Playoffs are a different animal and they are about matchups. Habs won't be an easy match up but they are in no way a cup contending team. You're not a Cup contender with the C depth that we have along with the lack of scoring in the top 6.

Max and Webber aren't too great in the playoffs so I'm not sure what people expect.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
LOL. Regular season means NOTHING! Playoffs are a different animal and they are about matchups. Habs won't be an easy match up but they are in no way a cup contending team. You're not a Cup contender with the C depth that we have along with the lack of scoring in the top 6.

Max and Webber aren't too great in the playoffs so I'm not sure what people expect.
Max is going to have a good playoff this year. Book it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Miller Time

I wonder if MB fully appreciates now how foolish he was to leave MT in place for so long... hopefully he shows sign of learning and moves quickly to fix the other glaring coaching Ng problems in the organization

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I wonder if MB fully appreciates now how foolish he was to leave MT in place for so long... hopefully he shows sign of learning and moves quickly to fix the other glaring coaching Ng problems in the organization
It will come this off-season. I see JJD and Lacroix go bye-bye. I see the entire AHL coaching staff go bye-bye as well.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Adam Michaels

This weekend, MB looked like a man who knew what he was doing.

Shaw (trade + extension) 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 points
Danault (trade + extension) 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 points
Weber (trade) 0 goals and 2 assists for 2 points
Byron (waivers + extension) 1 goal and 1 assist for 2 points + shootout goal
Radulov (UFA) 0 goals and 1 assist for 1 point + shootout winner
Lehkonen (drafted) 0 goals and 1 assists for 1 point
Benn (trade) 1 goal and 0 assists for 1 point

We also had Markov, Gallagher, Plekanec, and Beaulieu contribute, who were all in the organization before MB, he just extended them all.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck Run Amok View Post
Toronto's best players have entry level contracts and they have an enormous amount of cap space for the next two years, we don't. We have to resign Galchenyuk and Radulov but yea, Filppula and his declining production (2 pts in 8 games with Philly) and another year at 5 million is worth it. Philly's GM didn't sign the guy, Tampa did and at the time (4 years ago) it made some sense, Philly's GM is an idiot for trading for him though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Different organisations and their rosters exist in different contexts.
The original comment was that Bergevin should be fired for the mere inquiry about Filppula. Sorry, but that comment makes no sense no matter how you spin it.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:48 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

Quote:
The original comment was that Bergevin should be fired for the mere inquiry about Filppula. Sorry, but that comment makes no sense no matter how you spin it.
I mean, he should be fired for his CV so far. But inquiring about Filppula isn't a "fireable offense" no, you're right about that.

But Philly or Toronto could have more use for him than the Habs, context matters.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:29 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Because we had a lot of shrimps and nobodies, folks were sick of seeing another shrimp/nobody added and retained. The team needed surgery and huge additions and we never got it.

From July-September we added Flash, Kassian, Semin, and Byron to the lineup. That's four castoffs and nobodies in three months. AFTER the likes of Oshie, Saad, and Kessel were traded around. You don't at least understand why folks were frustrated? Then the team tanked and Byron was given an extension, the team tanked after the GM said "it's on me" and did nothing to change anything. He added Ben Scrivens and fkn John Scott. Folks were frustrated.

I'm sure everyone is glad that Byron is playing well and scoring goals, and I'm looking forward to utilizing his speed in the playoffs. He's a former waiver player who has exceeded all expectations, and I think he's a fine NHL middle-6er. It is what it is.
MB deserves credit for claiming Byron and then signing him for a 3 year deal. But somehow you flip it into a negative for MB.

HabsGorgeous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:45 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
MB deserves credit for claiming Byron and then signing him for a 3 year deal. But somehow you flip it into a negative for MB.
I gave context to the feeling at the time. Which was the discussion. Feel free to praise and worship the ground BargainBin walks on.

You can shine the medals we got after acquiring Daniel Briere, Colby Armstrong, Tomas Fleischmann, Devante Smith Pelly, Eric Tangradi, Christian Thomas, Alex Semin, Zack Kassian, Lucas Lessio, Ben Scrivens, and John Scott. And don't forget George Parros! Studs!

I think Byron proved himself and earned his contract. I also think it was entirely fair to doubt the acquisition and extension given the above list of nobodies and scrubs and the horrible collapse of a season we endured.

Give credit for Byron all you want, he was available because the Flames waived him and we were the only team to put in a claim. Genius move. While you're at it, can you also praise and justify all the above acquisitions?

Old
03-20-2017, 08:27 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

what about all the other gms who passed on him LOSERS!!!!! mb still sucks tho

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:54 AM
HBDay
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
I gave context to the feeling at the time. Which was the discussion. Feel free to praise and worship the ground BargainBin walks on.

You can shine the medals we got after acquiring Daniel Briere, Colby Armstrong, Tomas Fleischmann, Devante Smith Pelly, Eric Tangradi, Christian Thomas, Alex Semin, Zack Kassian, Lucas Lessio, Ben Scrivens, and John Scott. And don't forget George Parros! Studs!

I think Byron proved himself and earned his contract. I also think it was entirely fair to doubt the acquisition and extension given the above list of nobodies and scrubs and the horrible collapse of a season we endured.

Give credit for Byron all you want, he was available because the Flames waived him and we were the only team to put in a claim. Genius move. While you're at it, can you also praise and justify all the above acquisitions?
Tangradi: Was an AHL pick up, played 7 games with Montreal. Not fair man. As an AHL pick up he got 31 points in 48 games sprinkled with a few fights so yes, praise.

John Scott: Again was never a pick up for the NHL club. Just a cog in one of the oddest trades we've seen and one we will not fully understand. Again as an AHL pick up, no problems.

George Parros: At the time we were begging ( especially on these boards, and probably even you) for a tough guy who could fight. Bergevin got us that. And honestly, I kind of liked him.

Lucas Lessio: Again, why are you listing players brought in for the AHL club as mistakes?

Tomas Fleischman: Scored 10 goals and 10 assists and fetched us a deadline return. Hardly a big mistake.

The other guy's listed sure, he gambled and lost. But that happens, sometimes under a lot worse circumstances than what Bergevin has done.

HBDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDay View Post
Tangradi: Was an AHL pick up, played 7 games with Montreal. Not fair man. As an AHL pick up he got 31 points in 48 games sprinkled with a few fights so yes, praise.

John Scott: Again was never a pick up for the NHL club. Just a cog in one of the oddest trades we've seen and one we will not fully understand. Again as an AHL pick up, no problems.

George Parros: At the time we were begging ( especially on these boards, and probably even you) for a tough guy who could fight. Bergevin got us that. And honestly, I kind of liked him.

Lucas Lessio: Again, why are you listing players brought in for the AHL club as mistakes?

Tomas Fleischman: Scored 10 goals and 10 assists and fetched us a deadline return. Hardly a big mistake.

The other guy's listed sure, he gambled and lost. But that happens, sometimes under a lot worse circumstances than what Bergevin has done.
Even all the other guys are not something terrible or huge mistakes that crippled this franchise in any way. The hate is real...

A lot of low-risk high reward well-calculated acquisitions.

Belial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
jaffy27
From Russia wth Pain

Quote:

Beats crapping all over it.......

Nice list you gave us there, I'll quadruple the length of that list with any GM in this league....name me one, and you shall receive!

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:46 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Even all the other guys are not something terrible or huge mistakes that crippled this franchise in any way. The hate is real...

Correction: low-risk, no reward acquisitions.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:52 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:

Go to the MB bashing thread if you want to nit pick all the little negative moves MB has made. At the end of the day, MB claimed Byron and then signed him to a 3 year deal when a lot of people were wondering why. Byron has proved himself and he's been great for the Habs. Great move by MB and awesome for Byron to prove himself. Lets hope he can continue this and set his family up well financially in his next contract.

Byron's been a great story for the Habs this year. I was skeptical myself as to where this guy fit in the line-up but he's proved me and so many others wrong.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Belial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Correction: low-risk, no reward acquisitions.
There's not one GM in the league that bats at 100% my friend.

Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, Danault, Weise, Mayo, Benn, Weaver are all players we acquired for close to nothing and that helped this team.

Belial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Agreed. The stuff some people bring up can be said for every GM in the league. MB doesn't deserve the Hate IMO. Fans can attack him all they want and they have every right but other fans have every right to attack their nonsense!

And lets stick to the Thread. BYRON THE 20 GOAL $1.2M GOAL SCORER

Last edited by HabsGorgeous: 03-20-2017 at 11:06 AM.