HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did Paul Coffey have an Attitude issue?

Old
03-20-2017, 01:17 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Late in his career when he was sent to Hartford he wanted nothing to do with it.

Earlier in his career he was a respected winner and brought a great mentoring attitude to both the Pens and Wings after leaving Edmonton.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConorMcGregor View Post
It worked in Edmonton. Bowman was very disliked by the players at first. But Bowman demanded a 100% buy in with the team leaders leading the way in showing they will buy in and play for the team. Yzerman did, Coffey didn't. Coffey bought in somewhat, but would often abandon the plan to do his own thing and it often cost the team.

Bowman is damn right when he said "Why can't he play defense? He has all that skill".

People can reference a play or two here and there where Coffey's speed let him get back into the play and save his gaffe, but for the most part, he was 2 stars of 5 defensively. Fortunately he was 6 stars out of 5 offensively
One of the Coffey playoff defensive plays I remember was in Game 2 of the 95 SCF. Game tied 2-2 late, New Jersey pressing, and Coffey goes down and half-rolls to block a Bill Guerin slapshot...and takes it right off the calf instead. He can't get up, New Jersey continues to attack, and Jim Dowd buries a backhander from right in front of Vernon.

Of course, that was a few minutes after Scott Niedermayer turned him inside out on that end-to-end goal.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:50 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
Was just reading about Paul Coffey and I can't understand why he was traded so many times but in a lot of these cases it was only after short time periods.

Any thoughts?
Of all the glory year oilers. Anderson and Coffey get the least respect from oiler fans from the time. I played JR B in Edmonton at the time( i was too slow and had cement hands) and occasionally oiler players mingled with us minions. Coffey levitated towards the cool guys on my team. Anderson one word answers. Many other oilers came on the ice with to have a shoot around. Not Coffey or Anderson.

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote