HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Better Rivalry Of The 80's: Islanders-Rangers Or Oilers-Flames?

Old
03-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Supreme King

vCash: 500
Better Rivalry Of The 80's: Islanders-Rangers Or Oilers-Flames?

The Islanders and Rangers met 4 times in the playoffs in the 1980's, 4 consecutive as a matter of fact, from 1981 until 1984. The Islanders won all of the 4, providing non-stop hockey.

The Oilers and Flames met 4 time as well, 1983-84-86 and '88 (Oilers won 3 out of 4 series), with 1986 providing one of the biggest upsets in NHL history.

Which rivalry was better, more intense and showcased more drama?

Supreme King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Canadiens1958

Nordiques vs Canadiens

Nordiques vs Canadiens. During every game RS or PO you would rarely find anyone indifferent in the province of Quebec.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:08 PM
ChrisK97

Oilers-Flames only because the same team didn't win every time

ChrisK97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:38 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Nordiques vs Canadiens. During every game RS or PO you would rarely find anyone indifferent in the province of Quebec.
+1 for Montreal vs Quebec.

I think it's the rivalry that peaked the highest in hockey history.Maybe not as great as the Montreal-Boston rivalry on an all-time level because the latter have a lot more history and longevity, but it was amazing.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:57 PM
The Panther

1. Oilers - Flames
2. Canadiens - Nordiques
3. Islanders - Rangers

I'm not sure the Isles/Rangers' thing wasn't better in the mid-to-late 1970s than in the first half of the 1980s, but it's always a humdinger. Wasn't much there after 1984, though. And after 1987 or so, neither team was up to much.

Canadiens/Nordiques was great, and both teams were strong through the decade, although Quebec started to crap out from about 1988. But until then, it was vicious and nasty!

Obviously, I'm a bit biased because I was a kid in Alberta in the 80s, but nothing beats the battle of Alberta from 1983 to 1991! In Alberta, it transcended sports to be an everyday, mainstream thing that divided friends and families. I should know. My parents' feud with my mom's sister's family was premised on their love for the Flames. Today, 30 years later, they still don't like each other and rarely socialize. It's really sad, but the Flames/Oilers divide was part of that. At school, you could get beat up for cheering for the wrong team. I remember teachers getting angry with kids at school who cheered for the other team. Etc.

Also, three of the five series (if we add in 1991) went down the third period or overtime of game 7. And there were more legendary / Hall of Fame players involved in this series than the other two I mentioned.

I still think the 1986 series is the best hockey ever played. Forget the '87 Canada Cup, the '72 Summit Series, etc. The 1986 Calgary-Edmonton series was a see-saw battle at the then-highest level, at top-speed, with a pack of elite players that seriously hated one another. It was two different systems locking head-on, and two very different teams built in different ways.

Canadians recognized it, too. In classic CBC Toronto-centric fashion, they were going to broadcast the Toronto (57 points) / St.Louis series to Saskatchewan and Manitoba in April 1986. But so many viewers in the prairies complained about it that the CBC was forced to admit that not every farmer in Saskatchewan wanted to watch the Leafs.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:16 AM
JSlick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
1. Oilers - Flames
2. Canadiens - Nordiques
3. Islanders - Rangers

I'm not sure the Isles/Rangers' thing wasn't better in the mid-to-late 1970s than in the first half of the 1980s, but it's always a humdinger. Wasn't much there after 1984, though. And after 1987 or so, neither team was up to much.

Canadiens/Nordiques was great, and both teams were strong through the decade, although Quebec started to crap out from about 1988. But until then, it was vicious and nasty!

Obviously, I'm a bit biased because I was a kid in Alberta in the 80s, but nothing beats the battle of Alberta from 1983 to 1991! In Alberta, it transcended sports to be an everyday, mainstream thing that divided friends and families. I should know. My parents' feud with my mom's sister's family was premised on their love for the Flames. Today, 30 years later, they still don't like each other and rarely socialize. It's really sad, but the Flames/Oilers divide was part of that. At school, you could get beat up for cheering for the wrong team. I remember teachers getting angry with kids at school who cheered for the other team. Etc.

Also, three of the five series (if we add in 1991) went down the third period or overtime of game 7. And there were more legendary / Hall of Fame players involved in this series than the other two I mentioned.

I still think the 1986 series is the best hockey ever played. Forget the '87 Canada Cup, the '72 Summit Series, etc. The 1986 Calgary-Edmonton series was a see-saw battle at the then-highest level, at top-speed, with a pack of elite players that seriously hated one another. It was two different systems locking head-on, and two very different teams built in different ways.

Canadians recognized it, too. In classic CBC Toronto-centric fashion, they were going to broadcast the Toronto (57 points) / St.Louis series to Saskatchewan and Manitoba in April 1986. But so many viewers in the prairies complained about it that the CBC was forced to admit that not every farmer in Saskatchewan wanted to watch the Leafs.
Funny how an "own goal" ended up being the series winning one for the Flames in '86 which was presumably the wildest Oilers Flames series to date. Even if I wasn't there to watch it, it still pisses me off thinking about it.

JSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:46 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Like Panther, I'm biased but Oilers-Flames.

There was just more at stake. One of those two teams went to the SCF eight straight years. When they met in the playoffs, it was a heavyweight bout.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Like Panther, I'm biased but Oilers-Flames.

There was just more at stake. One of those two teams went to the SCF eight straight years. When they met in the playoffs, it was a heavyweight bout.
Absolutely. And from pretty much right out of the blocks as "new" franchises.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:06 AM
The Panther

If anyone's interested, there's a nice video-summary of the Calgary-Edmonton 1986 series in this video, starting at about 6:50:

Old
03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
DowntownBooster

The question is moot as it's mostly relative to which team you're a fan of. If you like the Rangers or Islanders then that's the better rivalry and the same goes for the Flames and Oilers. The question didn't even ask about Montreal and Quebec but a comment was made. People like to see their favorite team mentioned. They were all great rivalries and entertaining to watch.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Sens Rule

Calgary Edmonton (two best teams of second half of 80's)
Nords Habs (brutal)
Habs Bruins (Neely/Bourque finally beat Habs)
Oilers Isles (dynasty vs dynasty in consecutive finals)
Leafs Wings (mostly for the Wendel Probert fights)
Flyers Oilers (for the 2 finals)

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Big Phil

Definitely Oilers and Flames. If there was one individual game that you would pick overall you probably lean towards Game 5 of the Isles/Rangers in 1984. That kept the Isles dynasty alive at the moment. I think there was more animosity with the Battle of Alberta though. I don't think anyone thought the Rangers would win the Cup if they beat the Islanders. But if Calgary got past Edmonton, they were one of those teams in the mix. The sad thing is, neither of these rivalries have had anything to be excited about in the last 25 years.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:56 PM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The sad thing is, neither of these rivalries have had anything to be excited about in the last 25 years.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:18 AM
Uncle Rotter

Edmonton-Calgary. All were epic, even 1983 (because it was so one-sided)

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
tony d
Pug

Definitely the Battle of Alberta, some great hockey there.

03-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Terrier

It wasn't in the 80's, but the 1991 Oilers-Flames first round series was epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE7vh_mMEhI

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Sentinel

The answer should be Islanders-Oilers.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Edmonton-Calgary. All were epic, even 1983 (because it was so one-sided)
It was a war

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
SanDogBrewin
Righteous bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Calgary Edmonton (two best teams of second half of 80's)
Nords Habs (brutal)
Habs Bruins (Neely/Bourque finally beat Habs)
Oilers Isles (dynasty vs dynasty in consecutive finals)
Leafs Wings (mostly for the Wendel Probert fights)
Flyers Oilers (for the 2 finals)
Pretty darn good list. Gotta give Oilers-Flames the nod as #1. Habs dominated the Bruins in 3 straight playoff series during the early 80s. Later on the rivalry got better with the arrival of Neely.

I started getting a free Quebec channel in New England during the early 80s. Got to enjoy a ton of Nordique games, which included heated games against Montreal.

SanDogBrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 11:38 PM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
It wasn't in the 80's, but the 1991 Oilers-Flames first round series was epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE7vh_mMEhI
See circa 1:14 for Fleury (over-)hot-dogging again after scoring a goal (much as in the more famous celebration two nights earlier). There's a reason you don't hot-dog in the face of Messier and Tikkanen... as the Flames found out later that night.

Old
03-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
This. You kids have no idea. Nothing, nada, zero came close. Battle of Alberta? Gimme a break. Boston vs Montreal? Havent got a clue.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote