HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is this finally the year we get a Pittsburgh-Chicago Stanley Cup showdown?

Old
03-20-2017, 02:13 PM
SimpleJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Highly unlikely.

Pitt's health is an issue and Chicago is not the best team in the West anymore.
Not the best team in the West my ass

SimpleJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Stad
@Hagelin2Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJsoldier View Post
The Pens are in injury hell right now. I have to say no not this year.
Everyone is expected back before the start of the 1st round if I'm not mistaken. Hagelin and Daley are the only ones up in the air at the moment. Their timeframes put them right around the start of the 1st round.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:16 PM
SimpleJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post
Regular season record isn't a particularly great predictor of playoff success.

Gun to my head, I'd probably take San Jose over Chicago in a 7 game series. But those are clearly the two best teams in the West.

Chicago has been playing much better of late than thy have all year, so they may be hitting their stride at the perfect time...

...but putting aside any 'intangibles' (which do exist, they simply can't be measured and are therefore hard to account for), I'd take a healthy Pens roster over a healthy Blackhawks roster in a 7 game series.

It would be a fun series though. Probably the best SCF since 2013.
Wow....

With the way they're playing right now it's very surprising that a Hawks fan would pick the Sharks to beat them.

Penguins I can understand.....but SJ?

Old
03-20-2017, 02:19 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Wow....

With the way they're playing right now it's very surprising that a Hawks fan would pick the Sharks to beat them.

Penguins I can understand.....but SJ?

SJ's underlying numbers have been better than Chicago's all season, and over the last 25 games. They're a very good team.

JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:29 PM
TLEHMANN
Party like Kaner

You have to realize this is a guy who barely watches and just pulls advanced stats. Sometimes I agree but the Kruger stuff makes me wonder. Hawks aren't like head and shoulders better in the west. It's SJ and Chicago and the Wild are there too but I don't know how close behind. Almost even maybe but Dubnyk scares me he's inconsistent. That series they got swept he was not good

TLEHMANN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:39 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLEHMANN View Post
You have to realize this is a guy who barely watches and just pulls advanced stats. Sometimes I agree but the Kruger stuff makes me wonder. Hawks aren't like head and shoulders better in the west. It's SJ and Chicago and the Wild are there too but I don't know how close behind. Almost even maybe but Dubnyk scares me he's inconsistent. That series they got swept he was not good
I watch every game.

I'm very sorry that the counted events on ice more often than not support my eye test rather than the groupthink, but I can't control that.

JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:53 PM
HolyJumpin

vCash: 50
I think the central is really up in the air right now. Obviously not the gamebreakers like the Metro but it's still a division where your best bet might be to be in the first Wild Card spot.

Hawks will have to play Minnesota, St. Louis, or Nashville. I think all three teams defensive depth are gonna be a big hurdle for Chicago to overcome. The Blues have a very good hot streak going right now too and there are enough games to fuel a fire that'll make them tough to play against. Minnesota if they get out of the first round will be hard to handle. Nashville will take it to seven games, more than likely.

Chicago has Chelsea Dagger Blood Magic though so they could take it all.

HolyJumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyJumpin View Post
I think the central is really up in the air right now. Obviously not the gamebreakers like the Metro but it's still a division where your best bet might be to be in the first Wild Card spot.

Hawks will have to play Minnesota, St. Louis, or Nashville. I think all three teams defensive depth are gonna be a big hurdle for Chicago to overcome. The Blues have a very good hot streak going right now too and there are enough games to fuel a fire that'll make them tough to play against. Minnesota if they get out of the first round will be hard to handle. Nashville will take it to seven games, more than likely.

Chicago has Chelsea Dagger Blood Magic though so they could take it all.
Haha, good stuff.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Krisbryantisbest
@KBIB2311

Imo, I see the Hawks representing the West in the Cup final.

I honestly don't see the Pens there. I see the Jackets with the Hawks winning in five.

Krisbryantisbest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Stad
@Hagelin2Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisbryantisbest View Post

I honestly don't see the Pens there. I see the Jackets with the Hawks winning in five.
Course you do, you're the biggest homer on this forum.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisbryantisbest View Post

I am utterly shocked that you think the Hawks will win the cup. I never would have seen it coming

Realistically, I think it's finally the Capitals year, although that hinges a lot on Ovechkin. Is he saving himself for the playoffs or has he legitimately taken a step back? Because if it's the latter, I don't see the Capitals getting out of the 2nd round again. I'd take a bet on Pittsburgh/Washington and Chicago/San Jose being in the cup over the field.

Empoleon8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Plante
Ex Jr. B Goaler

You can tell Bettman was sure successful with his parity campaign

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJsoldier View Post
The Pens are in injury hell right now. I have to say no not this year.
Letang and Maatta are significant losses but aren't they supposed to be back before the playoffs? Who else is injured? I know Malkin is nicked up but isn't he just day to day and should be back well before the playoffs start?

So, by the time the playoffs start - are there any significant players not supposed to be good to go?

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Yeah.....only they don't "have more depth". So there's that...

When are people gonna wake up and realize this Hawks team has depth. At forward and on defense.

It's getting very annoying reading comments from people that clearly don't know the current Hawks team saying "they've lost their depth".
Sharks are probably as deep at forward and defense as any team in the league. Chicago, in contrast, is inferior in that regard. Not hard to comprehend.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Oogie Boogie

I really hope not

Oogie Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Letang and Maatta are significant losses but aren't they supposed to be back before the playoffs? Who else is injured? I know Malkin is nicked up but isn't he just day to day and should be back well before the playoffs start?

So, by the time the playoffs start - are there any significant players not supposed to be good to go?
I think all of Letang, Maatta and Rust are due back before the playoffs start. Hagelin and Daley may miss some of the beginning of the playoffs, but I don't think they'll be out too long into the playoffs (if at all). Hainsey is week to week right now, so I don't know when he'll be back. If I had to guess the lineup for the start of the playoffs for the Penguins, I'd say:

Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Cullen-Wilson
Rowney-Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Streit
Daley

That is, assuming no one else gets hurt between now and then, which definitely won't happen. They'll lose someone for an extended period of time.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Keithsteeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerDice View Post
I watch every game.

I'm very sorry that the counted events on ice more often than not support my eye test rather than the groupthink, but I can't control that.
What stats are you looking at specifically? https://puckalytics.com doesn't show SJ to be a better team from what I can see

Keithsteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
EbonyRaptor

Obviously I have a rooting interest for the Hawks to make the SCF, but I think facing the Pens would be very good and entertaining hockey. The Hawks and Pens both have their elite players but this season the Hawks are not dissimilar to the Pens last season in having a few young players kind of come out of nowhere to provide the depth scoring that made a significant difference in going all the way.

Last season the Pens had Bryan Rust and Conor Sheary burst onto the scene and play significant roles in the second half of the season and playoffs. This season the Hawks have had several rookies play significant roles, most notably Ryan Hartman and Nick Schmaltz.

I'd say the Pens have the advantage in offense, the Hawks the advantage in defense and goaltending is probably equal. It would be a good series.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Mikeshane
Glass Bangers Rock

San Jose is beating up on trash, but against playoff teams in 2017 they are weak.

Mikeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Frank Drebin

I predict a goaltending controversy/collapse in Pittsburgh. Wouldn't be May in the NHL without it.

Chicago on the other hand, screw those guys. Probably win it all again.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I predict a goaltending controversy/collapse in Pittsburgh. Wouldn't be May in the NHL without it.

Chicago on the other hand, screw those guys. Probably win it all again.
Is Murray going to fall into a coma or something? Because that's the only way Fleury gets into a game in the playoffs.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
SimpleJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Sharks are probably as deep at forward and defense as any team in the league. Chicago, in contrast, is inferior in that regard. Not hard to comprehend.
Really?

Lets break this down...

The Sharks have 5 players(including 4 forwards) on pace for 40+ pts, the Hawks have 8(including 6 forwards)

The Sharks have 4 players on pace for 20+ goals, the Hawks have 7

The Sharks have 2 Defenseman with 5+ goals, the Hawks have 4

The Hawks have a 3rd line with a future HOFer on one wing and one of the leagues best 5v5 goal scoring rookies on the other. Possibly being centered by Anisimov or Schmaltz. Another future HOFer anchoring the 1st line, and another future HOFer anchoring the "2nd" line along with the reigning rookie of the year who's on pace for another 70 pt season. Kruger is an elite 4C. Hawks have more speed and depth at 4th line RW/LW than they've had in years.

Hawks top four on D is as good as there is in the NHL. TVR-Campbell/Kempny is as deep as you'll find for a bottom pairing.

So please....enlighten me....how in the living hell are the Sharks deeper at all positions than the Blackhawks?

Old
03-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
Is Murray going to fall into a coma or something? Because that's the only way Fleury gets into a game in the playoffs.
Just have a rough go of it. Unlikely wishful thinking on my part.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
Yeah this is silly. I would bet money that neither team makes the SCF, but anything can and will happen.
I would take that bet...

I would love to know when the last time either team lost 4 out of 7 was... I know for the Hawks it's been a really really long time.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Really?

Lets break this down...

The Sharks have 5 players(including 4 forwards) on pace for 40+ pts, the Hawks have 8(including 6 forwards)

The Sharks have 4 players on pace for 20+ goals, the Hawks have 7

The Sharks have 2 Defenseman with 5+ goals, the Hawks have 4

The Hawks have a 3rd line with a future HOFer on one wing and one of the leagues best 5v5 goal scoring rookies on the other. Possibly being centered by Anisimov or Schmaltz. Another future HOFer anchoring the 1st line, and another future HOFer anchoring the "2nd" line along with the reigning rookie of the year who's on pace for another 70 pt season. Kruger is an elite 4C. Hawks have more speed and depth at 4th line RW/LW than they've had in years.

Hawks top four on D is as good as there is in the NHL. TVR-Campbell/Kempny is as deep as you'll find for a bottom pairing.

So please....enlighten me....how in the living hell are the Sharks deeper at all positions than the Blackhawks?
Lol. It's the other 15 players on each team that make up the depth, not just the arbitrary point total qualifiers.

Sharks top-4 is just as good, if not better than Chicago's, and Dillon/Schlemko is their bottom pair, so yeah...

And calling Kruger an elite anything is just bad.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote