HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: "NBA needs to protect its product" and reduce back-to-back games - Rivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2017, 09:15 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 66,689
vCash: 500
OT: "NBA needs to protect its product" and reduce back-to-back games - Rivers

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...l1204ko87qiz3e

Quote:
"We have to protect our product," Rivers said, via ESPN. "It's hard. It's impossible, if you actually knew what went into scheduling, but the look of back-to-back ABC national games it's not good."

Rivers himself had rested Clippers stars Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan on the second night of a back-to-back situation on Thursday in Denver. So he understands why the Cavs sat LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Yet at the same time, NBA games without marquee stars are not as attractive for TV viewers or fans who purchased tickets.

"I hate it for the fans. I really do," Rivers said. "I hate it. I do it. We all do it. I mean, it's bad. And I did it the other night in Denver. There are people with Blake and DJ jerseys all over the place."
Suggests national TV games have day off before and day off after.

Definitely an issue for fans and (local) TV audiences when the big boys get sat.


In NHL, there are almost triple the players available, so even if top 3 sit out, there's still a number of important/marquee players available.

(FTR, the Sharks handle their workload by reducing/eliminating practices between games if the schedule is especially grueling.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
  #2
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...l1204ko87qiz3e



Suggests national TV games have day off before and day off after.

Definitely an issue for fans and (local) TV audiences when the big boys get sat.


In NHL, there are almost triple the players available, so even if top 3 sit out, there's still a number of important/marquee players available.

(FTR, the Sharks handle their workload by reducing/eliminating practices between games if the schedule is especially grueling.)
I'm not sure what the deal is with these "rest" days. Back in the '80s they played the same number of games a year (82) and teams played back-to-backs, yet star players sitting out games to rest was unheard of. Have players gotten that fragile in recent years? And if so, why?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:23 AM
  #3
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper
 
Headshot77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
I'm not sure what the deal is with these "rest" days. Back in the '80s they played the same number of games a year (82) and teams played back-to-backs, yet star players sitting out games to rest was unheard of. Have players gotten that fragile in recent years? And if so, why?
Basketball isn't even that physically exhausting of a sport.

Headshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:07 AM
  #4
The Silver Arrow
Perennial Loser
 
The Silver Arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Brandon, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
Basketball isn't even that physically exhausting of a sport.
All sports are physically exhausting, especially at the level that athletes today are pushing themselves at.

You try playing a full 82 game season, with travel added on too. You probably wouldn't be able to survive 20, let alone 82. Injuries and fatigue pile up.

The Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:07 AM
  #5
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,333
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
Basketball isn't even that physically exhausting of a sport.
*citation needed*

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
  #6
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Burke the Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 50
They need to improve it in the NHL. They should either be home & home with the same team or have it so both teams had to travel the night before.

The situations where one team is sitting at home while the other travels all night is bad for the NHL's overall presentation.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:58 AM
  #7
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Burke the Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
Basketball isn't even that physically exhausting of a sport.
I think it's more that basketball is high impact on your lower body joints more than exhaustion consideration.

Teams want to give their stars' knees and ankles rest, so they aren't pounded to mush by May-June playoffs when it really matters.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:32 PM
  #8
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I think it's more that basketball is high impact on your lower body joints more than exhaustion consideration.

Teams want to give their stars' knees and ankles rest, so they aren't pounded to mush by May-June playoffs when it really matters.
And yet, again, that was unheard of in the '80s where they were playing the same 82 game schedule with the same back-to-backs. Why is it suddenly an issue now?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:50 PM
  #9
Jussi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The List Of Jericho
Country: Finland
Posts: 56,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I think it's more that basketball is high impact on your lower body joints more than exhaustion consideration.

Teams want to give their stars' knees and ankles rest, so they aren't pounded to mush by May-June playoffs when it really matters.
Larry Bird for example might want to have a word with you. Plus everyone who had to guard Shaq.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:18 PM
  #10
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Burke the Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 50
I didn't know you guys were doctors.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:26 PM
  #11
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Why not play star players 30 minutes instead of 45 minutes in a game? Then that star player will be able to play two games in two nights.

That's just ridiculous to sit them all...

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:33 PM
  #12
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Funny how the question keeps getting dodged.....

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:43 PM
  #13
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Why not play star players 30 minutes instead of 45 minutes in a game? Then that star player will be able to play two games in two nights.

That's just ridiculous to sit them all...
Most of them don't play 45 minutes in a game. Usually 35.

Regardless, they're worried at this point about the playoffs. Not regular season game 68 when they're pretty much guaranteed a top 3 seed in the playoffs.

Taking care of your players and making sure they are healthy for a big playoff run is more important than a national game of the week to these teams as they should be.

I still remember Pop sitting Duncan for a game, reason? "Too old". Guess what the Spurs did in that season? Won the championship. Are you going to be mad as a Spurs fan that you didn't get to see Duncan play on a particular night when your team won the whole thing? I'd bet no.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:46 PM
  #14
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
And yet, again, that was unheard of in the '80s where they were playing the same 82 game schedule with the same back-to-backs. Why is it suddenly an issue now?
Players use to play through concussions in the 80's. Shake out the cobwebs. They don't now.

Maybe there has been some advancing studies shown in the worth of playing them, the general wear and tear on bodies. Is it worth it if Lebron gets a bad sprain and is out for the playoff run? Is it worth sitting him?

Teams on the road on the back part of back to back games average ~35% for wins. 69.2% of the time the team on the back to back finishes on the road in the NBA.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:53 PM
  #15
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Players use to play through concussions in the 80's. Shake out the cobwebs. They don't now.

Maybe there has been some advancing studies shown in the worth of playing them, the general wear and tear on bodies. Is it worth it if Lebron gets a bad sprain and is out for the playoff run? Is it worth sitting him?

Teams on the road on the back part of back to back games average ~35% for wins. 69.2% of the time the team on the back to back finishes on the road in the NBA.
Funny, I don't recall Bird or Magic or Jordan missing playoff runs because they played the full 82. It simply wasn't an issue back then. Are players suddenly more vulnerable to injuries now? I thought we had 30+ years of sports medicine behind us and you're telling me durability has gotten WORSE?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
  #16
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Funny, I don't recall Bird or Magic or Jordan missing playoff runs because they played the full 82. It simply wasn't an issue back then. Are players suddenly more vulnerable to injuries now? I thought we had 30+ years of sports medicine behind us and you're telling me durability has gotten WORSE?
Larry Bird only played the full 82 games 3 times in his career. 3 times out of 13 seasons.

Magic Johnson never played 82 games in a season.

Michael Jordan is the exception.

It simply wasn't an issue, except for two out of your three examples it was. Your back in my day glasses are clouding your judgement.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
  #17
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Larry Bird only played the full 82 games 3 times in his career. 3 times out of 13 seasons.

Magic Johnson never played 82 games in a season.

Michael Jordan is the exception.

It simply wasn't an issue, except for two out of your three examples it was. Your back in my day glasses are clouding your judgement.
And? None of those days were "rest" days. They missed a small number of games to minor injuries (that's normal), none of them were rested on back-to-backs: If they were healthy they played.

Now, instead of dodging the issue AGAIN, how about explaining why after 30+ years of improvements in sports medicine players are suddenly LESS durable than they were 30+ years ago.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:25 PM
  #18
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
I just hate the amount of games the NBA play. The worst season out of the big4....

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:26 PM
  #19
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
And? None of those days were "rest" days. They missed a small number of games to minor injuries (that's normal), none of them were rested on back-to-backs: If they were healthy they played.

Now, instead of dodging the issue AGAIN, how about explaining why after 30+ years of improvements in sports medicine players are suddenly LESS durable than they were 30+ years ago.
But you said a full 82 games. They didn't play a full 82. How do you know the few games missing in some of those weren't rested games? Do you have an injury report detailing the purpose of the missed games?

Maybe the studies have shown that these rest days are benefitial to the athlete. Studies go both ways. It terms of durability and rest benefits.

Studies have shown that playing through concussions is bad. There are more known concussions in sports than ever before. Is that less durability or an advancement in proper diagnosis and recognition of concussions?

No need to get snarky with me with the caps lock thing. I'll answer your questions if I feel there's a point to discussing them.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:32 PM
  #20
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
But you said a full 82 games. They didn't play a full 82. How do you know the few games missing in some of those weren't rested games?
Because I was following the NBA back then and was well aware of who was injured and who wasn't at the time. The injury wire came every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Maybe the studies have shown that these rest days are benefitial to the athlete. Studies go both ways. It terms of durability and rest benefits.
Post the studies please. Otherwise you're just pulling stuff out the ether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Studies have shown that playing through concussions is bad. There are more known concussions in sports than ever before. Is that less durability or an advancement in proper diagnosis and recognition of concussions?
This has nothing to do with concussions which is a separate issue. Stop deflecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
No need to get snarky with me with the caps lock crap.
Then stop trying to dodge the issue and sidetrack things into unrelated tangents.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:37 PM
  #21
Voight
PlayoffSZN
 
Voight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA > TOR
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,958
vCash: 520
NBA's travel schedule is even more ass backwards than the NHLs.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:42 PM
  #22
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 34,492
vCash: 500
The regular season games should be reduced, but it's obviously never going to happen because the owners want that money.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:16 PM
  #23
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 66,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The regular season games should be reduced, but it's obviously never going to happen because the owners want that money.
And the players may not want to give up the $$ for the fewer games played.

(But has anyone asked them?)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:37 PM
  #24
Rigafan
Registered User
 
Rigafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
This is my problem with NBA and why I give up watching. Its basically a 1 man show. This shows the league know it too. If you support a team and 1 guy it out for the night it shouldn't mean attendance and TV figures drop so much to cause a debate?

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:45 PM
  #25
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,442
vCash: 135
I bet players would still find ways to get their rest in. The mentality has changed. It's up to the league to simply put rules in about resting players.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.