HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?

View Poll Results: Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?
Yes at $5.5 million per year over 6 years (but not over) 59 61.46%
Yes at $6 million and under per year over 6 years 29 30.21%
No 8 8.33%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
bustamente

vCash: 58
Can't see him signing with the Jets for anything under 6 per, how many years don't know. Think he does a Ladd and moves on, too bad when healthy he produces.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:27 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 500
I would love to see Little in a Jets jersey for many years yet, as a contributor and mentor.

But the "I'm over my prime but give me a long term contract for way more than I'm worth" model in the NHL means I don't think I ever want to see anyone at that career stage sign on.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
I think the offers elsewhere will be higher than 4x6. Maybe he takes a massive discount to stay with the Jets, but I think we'll have to do better to keep him.
Probably, yes. I would go 5x6. I am more concerned with term than AAV at this point. I've seen too many players lose their games at 31-32. I'm not sure if there is an identifiable type that happens to. If it is big, strong players with marginal skills/smarts who rely on strength for their edge then maybe Bryan is safer, longer. He plays a smart game that may survive a little physical regression. But I'm really not sure that it works that way.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
In order for the Jets to take the next step forward, they need to rid themselves of the entire Atlanta stench. That includes Little, Buff and Wheeler.
This is just a completely nonsensical idea. There is no factual basis for it whatsoever. If there was anything to it then the Winnipeg stench would be at least as bad. You better just trade all the players and then move the team out of town - to someplace that only has winners.

Old
03-19-2017, 12:35 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Little is a key piece that we don't currently have a replacement for, even if we draft a C top 10 in this year's draft. Roslovic might be a solid C prospect but he's not at Little's level yet, and may not get there. I like depth at C.

I'm not too worried about Little's production into his early to mid-30's, but I am concerned about his recent injury history. But that's a bit of bad luck vs being injury prone, imo.

$33 million over 6 years sounds about right.

Edit: I don't see Perreault (injury prone and not as productive) or Petan (still has bad jr habits and not productive enough) as legitimate replacements. Now if Chevy has to trade Trouba, and a young top 6 C is the return, then Little's replaceable obviously.
This sums up my thoughts. We don't have a replacement in the system so I would bring him back. If need be move out Perrault and even Wheeler in a couple of years if we are under a bit of a cap crunch.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I would love to see Little in a Jets jersey for many years yet, as a contributor and mentor.

But the "I'm over my prime but give me a long term contract for way more than I'm worth" model in the NHL means I don't think I ever want to see anyone at that career stage sign on.
That's the big worry for me. Our salary cap dollars will be at a premium soon with many mouths to feed. I'd love him on the team for 4 to 5 years, but we'd have to eventually sacrifice another player, like Perreault, to make it work.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddd View Post
He should be re-signed especially if the reports that he wants to remain a jet for his career are true, but not at the prices listed. 5 years at 5m maybe 5.5m
We have had him at bargain prices till now. He is still a legit 1C, though not an elite one. You just don't get 1C's for 5 mil after their ELC's have expired. 5.5 would be another 'home team discount'.

Old
03-19-2017, 12:43 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

vCash: 2720
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post

I'd also like to see him play longer. He's smart enough that I think he could contribute for at least 4 or 5 more years pretty good.
re the bold:
It's weird that it works that way. I don't like it either but I'm not sure how to fix it short of making UFA earlier which could hurt teams like Winnipeg (ie - Trouba may likely be long gone).

fkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I would like to see Little re-signed.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:07 PM
robertocarlos

vCash: 110
Great player. Too old and too much money. maybe he will stay for 4 x 5 but why would he?

robertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:09 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 2377
Sign him for 5.5 x 5 (6 years if you absolutely have to) and trade Wheeler or Buff before Laine's ELC is up. Little is the most consistent vet on the team. That's huge for a team that struggles so badly with consistency.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
MrBoJangelz71

Come to appreciate Brian Little's game over the years, along with his professionalism and leadership. I see nothing in his game that would suggest a steep drop off in productivity, over the next several seasons.

Liked his exit interview last season, before we knew that we were getting Laine, were he said he hopes to be here when the team starts winning. He sees the young talent coming up, and he realizes he maybe playing more of a support role at that point.

If we reatain Little, are we saying goodbye to Wheeler?

MrBoJangelz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:25 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoJangelz71 View Post
Come to appreciate Brian Little's game over the years, along with his professionalism and leadership. I see nothing in his game that would suggest a steep drop off in productivity, over the next several seasons.

Liked his exit interview last season, before we knew that we were getting Laine, were he said he hopes to be here when the team starts winning. He sees the young talent coming up, and he realizes he maybe playing more of a support role at that point.

If we reatain Little, are we saying goodbye to Wheeler?
It will depend on what a 33 year Wheeler wants on what will likely be one of his last contracts imo.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
The Finnish Forehead
Lay Down For Laine

vCash: 50
The guy puts up 60 pts/82 games over the past 5 years (1B/2A #s) and some of you guys want to low ball him? I'd drive Perreault to the airport myself if it meant re-signing Little for 5 years. Expecting young guys to fill major roles is how you wind up like this year with Helle floundering with nobody to provide support.

The Finnish Forehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Bryzgalovs Cat
Easy 2 points

vCash: 828
I do think he takes a hometown discount, but pay him what he's worth. He's still a top line center, and delivers nightly.

Bryzgalovs Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:53 PM
DougieSmail
Rookie User

Need to figure out a way to re sign him. Teams search forever for productive 2nd line centres.

DougieSmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:16 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

I am in the camp to pay him upto and including 6 million. 2nd line Centers like him who are in all reality 1B are not easy to find. Many teams have spent years trying to find a 2nd line C (Isles, Hawks). Some think that Roslovic can fill the boots but I am not letting Little go until I know for sure. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
DougieSmail
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I am in the camp to pay him upto and including 6 million. 2nd line Centers like him who are in all reality 1B are not easy to find. Many teams have spent years trying to find a 2nd line C (Isles, Hawks). Some think that Roslovic can fill the boots but I am not letting Little go until I know for sure. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
I'm old enough to remember when the entire league was trying to acquire Rod Brind'Amour to be their 2nd line centre. Incredibly tough to find.

Old
03-19-2017, 02:23 PM
TheGovernment

Little turned out to be a great signing on this current contract. I was very skeptical when he signed it but was glad I was wrong. He turned out to be out most consistent guy.
I'd be happy with 5 x 5.5 or 6 I'd that kept him here. Hopefully he will take a team friendly contract to stay.

TheGovernment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:35 PM
its a process

If we want to compete for a Stanley Cup Bryan Little needs to be a part of our team for the next six years. I'm hearing arguments around town that he's replaceable because Perreault! or Petan! or Roslovic! ... Absolutely not.

its a process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:35 PM
DougieSmail
Rookie User

I also wouldn't include Little in that Atlanta group that many feel you can't win with. I fear Buff may be that guy though.

Old
03-19-2017, 02:44 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Finnish Forehead View Post
The guy puts up 60 pts/82 games over the past 5 years (1B/2A #s) and some of you guys want to low ball him? I'd drive Perreault to the airport myself if it meant re-signing Little for 5 years. Expecting young guys to fill major roles is how you wind up like this year with Helle floundering with nobody to provide support.
This is a good post and one that adds balance. I just look at how things usually work out with signing the 30 year old types in the NHL these days to long term deals and it usually doesn't end up very well or at least there is allot more risk. I am a huge Little fan and he "has been" a very productive centre its just that I hate the risk of fall off that comes with the older players now. I would take Little ahead of Wheeler if I had to choose one of the two.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieSmail View Post
I also wouldn't include Little in that Atlanta group that many feel you can't win with. I fear Buff may be that guy though.
I would put Buff in the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley cup winning group where he cut his teeth. He was only in Atlanta 7 months and he has been in Winnipeg 6 years so take your pick but Atlanta was a rounding error.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:55 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I mean I love Little, super underrated player, but once he's outplayed by Roslovic, he's going to be spending his career on the third line. Love to have him because he'd provide a very good veteran presence to the team.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Pongs21

I'd love to re-sign him at a price and term that doesn't handcuff us.

Pongs21 is online now   Reply With Quote