HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?

View Poll Results: Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?
Yes at $5.5 million per year over 6 years (but not over) 63 60.58%
Yes at $6 million and under per year over 6 years 32 30.77%
No 9 8.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2017, 03:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Perreault is a LW. He has shown quite clearly that he cannot handle C anymore. Why the change? Who knows? But it is what it is. Little is still a legit centre - a 1st line C no less. He is also much better than Perreault.

"6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble" is all you've got? Not much of a case.
I do not believe this to be true, in regards to have "shown quite clearly"...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I would love to see Little in a Jets jersey for many years yet, as a contributor and mentor.

But the "I'm over my prime but give me a long term contract for way more than I'm worth" model in the NHL means I don't think I ever want to see anyone at that career stage sign on.
A lot of it will depend on what the Jets view their competitive window as.

If soon, he's worth signing. If not, no.

Old
03-19-2017, 04:01 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
He is in his prime today and the next few seasons.

He has an incredible i.q and his skating ability is one of his best qualities. He's not regressing anytime soon.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:02 PM
pegcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
A lot of it will depend on what the Jets view their competitive window as.

If soon, he's worth signing. If not, no.
You would know better than I would if their competitive window is now, but my guess is, we need more than a goalie and a LHD to be a cup contender. IMO, it would make sense to trade him at the deadline and get a Ladd like return for him.

I like Little, but the Jets keep on re-signing players for a team that has made the playoffs once in 6 years. Tear it down and build it back up, which is what should have happened a few years ago.

pegcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Whileee

The big question is whether they can sign him to a contract that is likely tradable within the next few years. If not, it's a pretty big gamble.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:04 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The big question is whether they can sign him to a contract that is likely tradable within the next few years. If not, it's a pretty big gamble.
That's a good point. The Perrault contract is very portable, if we can get similar for Little it will he worthwhile.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
You would know better than I would if their competitive window is now, but my guess is, we need more than a goalie and a LHD to be a cup contender. IMO, it would make sense to trade him at the deadline and get a Ladd like return for him.

I like Little, but the Jets keep on re-signing players for a team that has made the playoffs once in 6 years. Tear it down and build it back up, which is what should have happened a few years ago.
The Jets competitive will depend a lot on Chevy's actions:
* Do the Jets add another defender to the Morrissey-Trouba/Tobi-Buff/xxx-Myers/Chiarot group?
* Does he obtain a solid goaltender to play with Hellebuyck?
* Do the Jets relegate that Lowry grind line into a fourth line role?

Old
03-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Crocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLefty View Post
Very hard to complain about his play and IMO and you need a veteran presence on a team this young. Between him and Wheeler, he's be my choice.

The question is, how is he going to look in his mid 30's - that may depend a lot on what you are paying him and expectations at that price. $5.5 to $6 might make sense considering that price point will not be expensive 5 years from now.
Agreed, he's progressed so well in his career, seems really fit. I think he can play at this level for a long time. He's been one of our most consistent players in terms of production and effort over the years.

Crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:26 PM
JetBlue420

Get Hischier or Patrick in the draft? No.

If not? Yeah I'd try to sign him

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
* Do the Jets relegate that Lowry grind line into a fourth line role?
Is that something you would recommend? How has Lowry's line compared with other 3rd lines around the league?

Puckatron 3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Hobby Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
My personal feelings are that Bryan Little is replaceable by Perreault. The money is better spend on our soon to be future RFAs and a LHD. 6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

Projecting this thinking forward... the dominos fall until Little is skimmed off the top and "replacement level" comes in at the bottom.

Players like Little don't grow on trees.

Hobby Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:52 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
For those who voted to extend Little. Who are you cutting to make room for him? You can't keep him, Buff, and Wheeler and make the cap work. Those three alone will tie up over $20mill. How do you expect to be able to pay out raises to Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Connor, an additional D upgrade + a starting goaltender and make it all work?

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:09 PM
redneckjabronie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
For those who voted to extend Little. Who are you cutting to make room for him? You can't keep him, Buff, and Wheeler and make the cap work. Those three alone will tie up over $20mill. How do you expect to be able to pay out raises to Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Connor, an additional D upgrade + a starting goaltender and make it all work?
Well put, I totally agree. There will not be room for some of these older guys over the next 1-2 years.

If you could unload a Little or Wheeler for a top flight D-man, why not? You know what you get, there is no upside with either guy but plenty of downside. There is no reason to resign either guy to a big money contract in their 30s, just like Ladd last year. Trade one before they head off to UFA status.

redneckjabronie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Love Little but he turns 30 in November so I am not interested in anything long term that impedes the cap flexibility. I don't want all three of Wheeler, Little, and Buff on 5-6 year deals that are expensive. By the time we get around to actually winning a cup (if we get in that area) these guys are all complimentary pieces and need to be paid as such.
Wheeler and buff are probably gonna have to go
Little is legit

Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:15 PM
scelaton

Stanley Cups are won with strength down the middle, an elite D playing ~30 min/g, depth and goaltending. Jets are a goalie and a Trouba-signing away from contention, as the youngsters mature.
Scheifele and Little are a championship-worthy C tandem, and there is no one in our system who is a clear replacement. Roslovic could easily underachieve in the NHL, as so many top prospects do.

Have a look at the contracts given to older UFAs on this list.
http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/center/

Beyond the top-7, Little's game is the equal of most of them, and he looks to have a durable style and body. He deserves >6$M but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take 5.5 X6. That's the character part of the equation.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:59 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
Is that something you would recommend? How has Lowry's line compared with other 3rd lines around the league?
5v5 scoring median rates for 3rd liners: 1.49.
For 4th liners: 1.04.

Lowry's scoring:
2014-15 1.10
2015-16 1.05
2016-17 1.02

Armia's scoring:
2015-16 1.38
2016-17 1.30

Copp's scoring:
2015-16 1.42
2016-17 1.48

Matthias is 1.24 this year on the Jets, although historically he has more scoring punch. He's worse than the other three in other areas of the game though.

All four of the main players the Jets have cycled on their 3rd line regularly have been below average 3rd line scoring. That's a loss in secondary scoring.

I will admit that, aside from Matthias, they do provide value that makes them better than their scoring numbers indicate. That's why I'm fine with just any one of them on a third line. However, it's not enough to put all three together in a 3rd line role.

Teams that win, like WSH or CBJ or PIT tend to have these types on their fourth line, allowing them to roll 4 lines.

Last edited by garret9: 03-19-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Had copp twice.
Old
03-19-2017, 09:02 PM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
I give him $6 X 4

GoJetsGo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Very much appreciated, Garret.

Puckatron 3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Dayofthedogs

I believe we are starting our competitive window next season. Not only would I like Little to be signed but I'd like the jets to target Duchene using Connor or Roslo as the main piece. We simply won't be able to keep all the young guys and pay em.

Plus this pushes Lowry to the 4th line and gives us a ton of strength down the middle for the next 2 years.

Ehlers/Chef/Laine
MP/Little/Wheeler
Petan/Duchene/Armia
Copp/Lowry/Dano
Throw in some D help and a Goalie.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
I believe we are starting our competitive window next season. Not only would I like Little to be signed but I'd like the jets to target Duchene using Connor or Roslo as the main piece. We simply won't be able to keep all the young guys and pay em.

Plus this pushes Lowry to the 4th line and gives us a ton of strength down the middle for the next 2 years.

Ehlers/Chef/Laine
MP/Little/Wheeler
Petan/Duchene/Armia
Copp/Lowry/Dano
Throw in some D help and a Goalie.
If Jets ask for Duchene, I'm sure that Colorado is going to ask for Morrissey+ or maybe Trouba.

Old
03-19-2017, 09:58 PM
surixon

Quote:
If Jets ask for Duchene, I'm sure that Colorado is going to ask for Morrissey+ or maybe Trouba.
Yup. We don't really need Duchene anyways.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
No kidding eh?

Trouba is clearly a no go. Even if he still wants out we would need D help for him.

I heard it was reported that they wanted an A prospect a B prospect and a 1st.

What constitutes an A prospect and a B prospect in this context, would you know?

Old
03-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Yup. We don't really need Duchene anyways.
I'm just not sure we have a proper 3C at the moment. I'd like Petan or Roslo there in the future I'm just not sure they could carry Connor plus another young player. Maybe Armia with them....

Anyways. I Think it's vital we retain Little, I'm not as comfortable with Petan or Roslo there in the near future. It will be interesting to see what Chefs contract does to the Center "market" on our team.... We can't really give Little a higher AAV can we?

Old
03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post
I'm just not sure we have a proper 3C at the moment. I'd like Petan or Roslo there in the future I'm just not sure they could carry Connor plus another young player. Maybe Armia with them....

Anyways. I Think it's vital we retain Little, I'm not as comfortable with Petan or Roslo there in the near future. It will be interesting to see what Chefs contract does to the Center "market" on our team.... We can't really give Little a higher AAV can we?
Duchene is a a number 1 centre though and your paying number one centre prices to get him. I don't think it's worth it myself. I'm sure a suitable 3C could be had for far cheaper.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Duchene is a a number 1 centre though and your paying number one centre prices to get him. I don't think it's worth it myself. I'm sure a suitable 3C could be had for far cheaper.
You're probably right. I will be curious to see what he ends up fetching and from whom.

Guess we could always shelter a Petan or Roslo with Armia and MP or something on a 3rd line and play Connor with Chef and Wheeler and Little with the Dane and Finn