HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The new 'Best Line In Hockey'?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2017, 03:18 PM
  #51
Dying Alive
I love u Phil
 
Dying Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Sheary had 10 points in 44 games last season. Not saying he doesnt do a good job but his stats are probably seriously inflated from playing with Crosby.
He was also a rookie playing about 6 minutes less TOI per game.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:19 PM
  #52
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There
 
Empoleon8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Sheary had 10 points in 44 games last season. Not saying he doesnt do a good job but his stats are probably seriously inflated from playing with Crosby.
He put up 10 points in 44 games while playing mostly on the 4th line. His stats are inflated some by playing with Crosby, but he's a better player now than he was a year ago and he's a legitimate top-6 player right now.

Empoleon8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:19 PM
  #53
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 50,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voight View Post
Top 10 in LW scoring isn't top 10 in overall scoring, especially given how LW has always been a weaker field.
I hope they can stay healthy next year. I think they will surprise a lot of people.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
  #54
Rufus
Letangarang
 
Rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalos View Post
Crosby and... who? Yea, no. Knee-jerk reaction as usual on these boards.
Haha there's a difference between a knee-jerk reaction and someone blatantly not paying attention

Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:26 PM
  #55
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 17,407
vCash: 500
Bit premature.
They aren't head and shoulders above other best lines but they are a great line.
Tough to handle in the OZ and cause a ton of turnovers with thier speed/doggedness.
Jake/Sheary duo has got Sid out of his funk single handedly.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:33 PM
  #56
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 20,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Sheary had 10 points in 44 games last season. Not saying he doesnt do a good job but his stats are probably seriously inflated from playing with Crosby.
Yeah an adjustment period. In the playoffs Sheary really blossomed and it carried over to this season. The stats literally point to him not being some fluke but sure let's ignore that.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:36 PM
  #57
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Possession monsters. Incredibly talented players, playing hockey and thinking hockey the same way. Small sample size, but this line has the potential to become best in hockey. Sheary and Guentzel are fantastic players on their own, they are not a product of Sid like Kunitz and Dupuis were. There are nights when they are better than Sid. Just relentless hockey by them.

Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:37 PM
  #58
Bar Down
Registered User
 
Bar Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Underneath PPG Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
My hot take of the day: Guentzel is already a better hockey player than Conor Sheary.

Bar Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:39 PM
  #59
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,921
vCash: 660
I don't think they're the best line in hockey; way too small (pardon the pun) of a sample size. But the folks who keep posting the idiot comments about them being carried by Crosby or a product of Crosby need to actually watch some Pens games. Sheary and Guentzel are playing outstanding hockey, and in a few games, have been better than Crosby.

Would they produce as much without Crosby? Likely not. But they'd both be legitimate top six performers if you put any top six center with them.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:42 PM
  #60
JPeeper
Registered User
 
JPeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zar View Post
Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak gets my vote. All 3 are in the top 10 in scoring since Feb 1 and all 3 have scored more points than McDavid and Crosby since Feb 1.

It is a very complete and balanced line; experience, youth, grit, talent and defensive awareness.
I can't remember a line that dominated the Flames as bad as the Boston line did as well as Crosby. Pens weren't great against the Flames then Crosby would step on the ice and the puck wouldn't leave the Flames zone. Completely dominated us. Same with Boston's trio.

As good as the 3M line is (Backlund, Frolik, Tkachuk) against most teams (dominates possession and every other fancy stat), they were completely outmatched by those 2 lines.

JPeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:45 PM
  #61
pensandcaps
Wolf Cola
 
pensandcaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
The amount of unknowledgeable people on here is funny. "Crosby and who?" "well sheary plays with sid so" "just a hot streak"
Sheary and Guentzel are top 6 players on every team. They don't even get 1st PP time and still have fantastic stats.

pensandcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:47 PM
  #62
DrJustice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar Down View Post
My hot take of the day: Guentzel is already a better hockey player than Conor Sheary.
Man let me get out the fire extinguisher for that hot take

In all seriousness, both these players suck. Guentzel couldn't win a board battle with a paper bag and Sheary? Luckiest 20 goal season of all time.

They don't stack up to the greats Crosby has played win in the past like Kunitz and Dupris. Those guys had grit. Those guys had heart. They carried Crosby to his first cup and it took him 7 years to get another one. That's just a fact.


/s

DrJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:49 PM
  #63
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Would they produce as much without Crosby? Likely not. But they'd both be legitimate top six performers if you put any top six center with them.
Gotta be careful giving too much weight to that question, because literally any line who comes with a legit case for the conversation is going to feature a centre providing far more offensive support than guys their team could try instead... otherwise they would have tried instead by now.

The real question is, with Crosby playing as well as he is right now, what do we need from any pair of accompanying wingers in order to BE the best line in hockey? Going in the reverse direction, what top lines for you would/should drop out of the conversation if their wingers were replaced by Guentzel and Sheary? Gotta say, that line really looks like they're syncing pretty well. And I'm watching them mitigate concerns of size on a pretty much nightly basis, so...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:51 PM
  #64
Peat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't think they're the best line in hockey; way too small (pardon the pun) of a sample size. But the folks who keep posting the idiot comments about them being carried by Crosby or a product of Crosby need to actually watch some Pens games.
Or just look at the stats posted by Crosby's wingers in previous seasons. Its not as simple as just stand on Crosby's wing and collect a buttload of points, particularly for a guy who's not seeing much time on PP1.

Its not the best line in hockey, it may become so but I don't think so, but its a lot of fun and its fun because Crosby is finally with two genuine top 6 attacking wingers. Not scrubs thanking their lucky stars to be playing with Sid, but guys who'd find success with most good centres, as they did to play their way up to Sid's line to begin with.

Peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:51 PM
  #65
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voight View Post
He's playing with Crosby.
If you've followed the Pens at all, you'd know that a lot of players have played with Crosby, and many have been dog ****.

Sid hasn't had two players that work this well on his line...ever.

Have you watched them or are you just spouting counter-arguments sight unseen?

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:52 PM
  #66
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There
 
Empoleon8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Gotta be careful giving too much weight to that question, because literally any line who comes with a legit case for the conversation is going to feature a centre providing far more offensive support than guys their team could try instead... otherwise they would have tried instead by now.

The real question is, with Crosby playing as well as he is right now, what do we need from any pair of accompanying wingers in order to BE the best line in hockey? Going in the reverse direction, what top lines for you would/should drop out of the conversation if their wingers were replaced by Guentzel and Sheary? Gotta say, that line really looks like they're syncing pretty well. And I'm watching them mitigate concerns of size on a pretty much nightly basis, so...
I actually haven't thought Crosby has played all that well recently, I thought the Sheary-Guentzel duo created more offense than Crosby did.

Empoleon8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:52 PM
  #67
Mantis
I am a doctah
 
Mantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,142
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zar View Post
Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak gets my vote. All 3 are in the top 10 in scoring since Feb 1 and all 3 have scored more points than McDavid and Crosby since Feb 1.

It is a very complete and balanced line; experience, youth, grit, talent and defensive awareness.
Pastrnak has been playin with Krejci lately

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 03:56 PM
  #68
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
I actually haven't thought Crosby has played all that well recently, I thought the Sheary-Guentzel duo created more offense than Crosby did.
There have definitely been nights, but you of all people shouldn't miss the way smart players like Crosby create space and time for players decision after decision, not simply the ones with the puck that are pass vs. shoot. They have no one particular formula that they rely on, which doesn't really hurt their case, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:07 PM
  #69
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 50,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
There have definitely been nights, but you of all people shouldn't miss the way smart players like Crosby create space and time for players decision after decision, not simply the ones with the puck that are pass vs. shoot. They have no one particular formula that they rely on, which doesn't really hurt their case, imo.
That's definitely true. But this is the first time in a while I am seeing Crosby with time and space created by his linemates. He has actually been able to get lost in coverage a few times on this line. That simply hasn't happened with any sort of regularity since Hossa was here. He's obviously a huge part of the line, but his wings are playing some great hockey on their own.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:21 PM
  #70
McBaevid
Lottery Dynasty
 
McBaevid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,328
vCash: 500
Wow players that actually gel with Crosby are producing, what a surprise!
Neither of those guys would put up those numbers on a different team, don't lie to yourselves.

McBaevid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:25 PM
  #71
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,921
vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBaevid View Post
Wow players that actually gel with Crosby are producing, what a surprise!
Neither of those guys would put up those numbers on a different team, don't lie to yourselves.
Would Draisaitl even score 30 points in this league if he hadn't been on first Taylor Hall's and then Connor McDavid's line?

Panarin shouldn't get credit for the player he is because he's meshed so well with the reigning scoring champion?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:30 PM
  #72
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 50,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBaevid View Post
Wow players that actually gel with Crosby are producing, what a surprise!
Neither of those guys would put up those numbers on a different team, don't lie to yourselves.
they wouldn't put up those numbers probably, that's true. The same can be said for the linemates of every elite talent in the league.

That said, the flip is true here too. Sid wasn't putting up these numbers while Sheary was hurt. He wasn't putting up these numbers even with Sheary when Rust was there instead of Guentzel.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:35 PM
  #73
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,878
vCash: 500
Anybody who thinks Guentzel and Sheary haven't contributed more than their share to that line is wearing their ignorance on their sleeves.

Pretty clear that people taking that position haven't actually watched them play.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:38 PM
  #74
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 50,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Cookies View Post
Anybody who thinks Guentzel and Sheary haven't contributed more than their share to that line is wearing their ignorance on their sleeves.

Pretty clear that people taking that position haven't actually watched them play.
more importantly, they must not have watched Sid play with Kunitz this year. Or quite a few others over the years who simply didn't work there. I wish it was a simple as putting guys on Sid's wing and watching them blow up. If it was, we'd have a few extra cups by now probably. If anything though, Sid seems to be a pretty hard guy to play with.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
  #75
pensandcaps
Wolf Cola
 
pensandcaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBaevid View Post
Wow players that actually gel with Crosby are producing, what a surprise!
Neither of those guys would put up those numbers on a different team, don't lie to yourselves.
Sheary has 47 points in 51 games while getting no 1st PP time. He'd be well over a PPG if he did. Guentzel is on pace for around 55-60 points over 82 games as a rookie. Clearly these are more than 3rd or 4th liners being lifted by sid. If anything they've lifted him.
Try watching sid play with kunitz and hornqvist and then watch sid play with Sheary and Guentzel. You'll see a major difference in sids play. Not anyone can be near a ppg with no PP time playing with crosby. Case and point, Kunitz,hags,hornqvist(who plays very very well with sid and even he can't do 47 points in 51 games next to sid)

pensandcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.